Thread: Ink on Leather

Post Thanks / Like

Ink on Leather

Working on a BMW today with light brown interior. There`s an ink mark on the rear seat 2-3 inches long. Looks like someone sat down with a pen in their pocket. Nothing in my basket could get it off. Need some suggestions, something gotta remove it.
    Thanks
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Definitive Detailing View Post
    Working on a BMW today with light brown interior. There`s an ink mark on the rear seat 2-3 inches long. Looks like someone sat down with a pen in their pocket. Nothing in my basket could get it off. Need some suggestions, something gotta remove it.
    Thanks
    Hey Rick... Welcome to TID!

You can use Isopropal Alcohol to remove pen ink.

Be SURE to do a test spot on an inconspicuous place on the leather (maybe inside the rear pull-down armrest is usually a good spot)...

Good luck... let us know how that comes out.

I`m sure others have suggestions as well.:biggrin:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

TOGWT
    Ink Stains

Sadly the prognosis on ink stains or colour transfer on leather is not good; as the stain permeates the leather and dyes it, and for this reason it is not easily released, especially if it has been allowed to set.

Aniline leathers are absorbent, so an ink stain will permeate the leather hide, dyeing it, making it almost impossible to remove.

Hairspray contains solvents and should not be used; as they dilute the stain and act as a carrier system to permeate the hide, household cleaners will usually exasperate the problem

1.The Ink Remover (P-Protected / Coated) is designed for removal of recent (within 48 hours) ink contamination. Ink marks older than 3-5 days may not respond or will only be lightened (see Strong Effect Cleaner). The biodegradable formula is very easy to use (wax-like stick container) and works well for all types of ink as well as lipstick

2.Professional Ink Remover (P-Protected / Coated) - safely removes ink from: automotive interior surfaces, leather & cloth upholstery, headliners, sun visors, vinyl and plastic surfaces.

3.Strong Effect Cleaner - (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) Leather Master`s "Strong Cleaner" is arguably the most effective leather cleaner on the market.

Products suggested are Leather master

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Definitive Detailing View Post
    Thanks
    I basically had the same problem as you today. I had an ink stain from taking my SUV to the dealer. I ended up using Lexol cleaner that I bought at Autozone a few weeks back. It removed it pretty quick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick,

Here is a link to an article on removing ink from leather that might help.

http://www.americascarcare.com/datab...cc0907w114.pdf

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doctordon View Post
    Rick,

Here is a link to an article on removing ink from leather that might help.

http://www.americascarcare.com/datab...cc0907w114.pdf

Don
    Interesting article, Don. I`ve never heard of either of the two products mentioned in that article, but they certainly are worth a try!
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Ink Stains

Sadly the prognosis on ink stains or colour transfer on leather is not good; as the stain permeates the leather and dyes it, and for this reason it is not easily released, especially if it has been allowed to set.

Aniline leathers are absorbent, so an ink stain will permeate the leather hide, dyeing it, making it almost impossible to remove.

Hairspray contains solvents and should not be used; as they dilute the stain and act as a carrier system to permeate the hide, household cleaners will usually exasperate the problem

1.The Ink Remover (P-Protected / Coated) is designed for removal of recent (within 48 hours) ink contamination. Ink marks older than 3-5 days may not respond or will only be lightened (see Strong Effect Cleaner). The biodegradable formula is very easy to use (wax-like stick container) and works well for all types of ink as well as lipstick

2.Professional Ink Remover (P-Protected / Coated) - safely removes ink from: automotive interior surfaces, leather & cloth upholstery, headliners, sun visors, vinyl and plastic surfaces.

3.Strong Effect Cleaner - (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) Leather Master`s "Strong Cleaner" is arguably the most effective leather cleaner on the market.

Products suggested are Leather master

I should print this up, go to Kinkos and use the laminating machine and keep this at the shop to show a customer that not EVERYTHING will release from the car......... I had to tell this to a stubborn customer once and I said not even a GREAT PLASTIC surgeon can make an ugly person attractive.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    I should print this up, go to Kinkos and use the laminating machine and keep this at the shop to show a customer that not EVERYTHING will release from the car......... I had to tell this to a stubborn customer once and I said not even a GREAT PLASTIC surgeon can make an ugly person attractive.....
    :iagree: Lovin it!
    Presidential Automotive Detailing
    Billy Aylward

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not had the pleasure of dealing with an ink stain on leather yet, but when I do, I will re-read this post and also try the ink stain remove that came with my Spinneybeck Leather treatment and conditioner kit.
    This conditioner is available from Leatherz.com I believe, and these guys in Ohio have alot of leather products they sell specifically for BMW Z3/Z3M/Z4/Mini vehicles, etc.. They recommend this product for BMW leathers of those vehicles and it seems to work well for me.

DanF

Post Thanks / Like
    You may wanna give Laquer Thinner a try. If the stain is not deep and hasn`t been on there for long. I have had luck with this.

More then likely though, you will need to pull the seat and redye. I`ve done this on more then 1 occasion. Ink is 1 nasty booger to deal with

Thread Information