Post Thanks / Like

Rubber gasket around doors/windows.

Would you guys say it is important to maintain the gaskets by applying a product on it? I usually wipe it dry after a car wash...but wondering if it is worth the time to apply something on it so that it will last even longer...preventing it from drying out and becoming brittle.
    What product/brand would be recommended?
    Thanks !!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used 303 or other water based protectant. BTW, most of the gaskets sealing doors etc are HDPE (at least per 303) not rubber so you should not use oil based products on them.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Yes it`s very important to apply a protective base on the rubber seals around the windows and etc. I use Mothers protective sealant. If you don`t take care of your rubber seals they will dry up and crack. I had to replace my rubber seals a long time ago, so I`ve learned my expensive lesson the hard way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I normally wipe down the door seals with PB`s Natural Look. I use the blue Scott`s shop towels. Cleans/protects/adds a light scent.

Post Thanks / Like
    I condition the weather stripping and window seals every month... I use 303, PBB&B, or Chem Guys V.R.P.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s one for you to try! 1Z einszett Rubber Care Stick "Gummi Pflege" prevents rubber from drying and cracking due to oxidation, heat, and UV exposure. Maintains elasticity and flexibility and will restore dried weather seals to original condition. :thumbup:
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

I need to find out...

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I have used 303 or other water based protectant. BTW, most of the gaskets sealing doors etc are HDPE (at least per 303) not rubber so you should not use oil based products on them.
    Thats prolly what the seals on my wagon are made of, but on the Reatta it sure looks and feels more like thick rubber. Im gonna have to find out over at the Reatta forum because I have been concerned about this very thing. The wagon uses a lot of these type seals too.
    Dave - confirmed egotist

Auto Detailing - Cuz you want to be noticed!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOGWT
    (Interior) Glass Seals
    The seals on most vehicles are no longer made of organic rubber; vehicle manufacturers use a specialized synthetic material called ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM). Organic (natural) rubber, or blends containing natural rubber, just cannot endure the direct exposure to sunlight (ultraviolet light) and the oxidizing gases in our atmosphere. Do not use solvent-based products on glass surface seals.

Along the top edge of the door, where the window enters and exits the door there is a gasket, fully roll down the window and use a micro fibre towel and clean in between the rubber seals on both sided of the window. The inside edge of this gasket is usually felt lined and can/will pick up contaminations (oil / grease) as the window is operated. Be sure to clean the inner gasket edge thoroughly at the same time you`re cleaning the guides.

(Exterior) Glass Seals
    For dull or faded seals or window mouldings:
    ?Remove imbedded white stains in vinyl and rubber mouldings, first wipe the mouldings with a multi-purpose cleaner. P21S Total Auto Wash or 1z Plastik Reiniger (Deep Cleaner) both products are excellent for this task. This removes any wax / polish / silicone debris and dissolves surface stains.
    ?Protect it with 1z einszett Vinyl Rubber Care & Potectant "Tiefenpfleger, if stains reappear after two coats, the vinyl or rubber is chemically bleached (See Vinyl-Plastic and Rubber Care).
    ?After treatment, I recommend protecting the trim with 303 Aerospace Protectant to provide (UV) protection Apply to a cloth or applicator pad and give the trim a quick once over.

The soft seals around doors, windows, sunroof?s, hood and trunk are constantly being flexed and compressed all the while being subjected to a hostile environment. Use a product that contains glycerine (Iz enzett Gummi Pflege or Zymol Seal) a natural plant anti-oxidizing agent, it will prolong the useful life of the seal by restoring the original moisture and resist tearing and sticking

Alternative products- Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick, is silicone-free, biodegradable, and water repellent

An extract from one of a series of in-depth detailing articles ? TOGWT ? Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved

Post Thanks / Like
    Over at the 303 Protectant website, one reads the following claim about EPDM rubber:

EPDM is great stuff, but it has some downsides. It`s tear resistance is only fair, so sticking & tearing is not uncommon. And just like real rubber, it has extremely poor resistance to solvents (petroleum distillates) and oils.
    "You mean I don`t have to `protect` my car`s door & trunk seals?" That`s right, and treating your seals with a leading-brand "protectant" is almost always exactly the WRONG thing to do to your seals. Any chemical product that contains oils or petroleum distillates is incompatible with EPDM.

TIP: NEVER apply any rubber or vinyl treatment that has an oily or greasy nature or contains petroleum distillates. READ THE LABEL! If a product contains petroleum distillates, do not apply it to your rubber seals.
    Is it true that a product that "contains oils or petroleum distillates is incompatible with EPDM"?

If it is true, what products on the market should we avoid? I have been using M40 to clean rubber seals. According to the MSDS, M40 contains PNP Glycol Ether and Propylene Glycol. Is M40 safe for EPDM rubber seals? It`s been used for years by thousands of users, apparently with no ill effects. M40 is a water-based dressing, so perhaps this is the decisive consideration.

It`s so difficult for the non-scientist to separate truth from fiction when encountering "scientific claims" on the internet.

TOGWT
    [It`s so difficult for the non-scientist to separate truth from fiction when encountering "scientific claims" on the internet]

Marketing and / or so called Scientific claims are often based on very little actual fact, but changed to suit the bias of the person selling the product

As a chemical Engineer I try to help detailers reach an intelligent and logical understanding of the many chemicals used in detailing. Improperly used chemicals can cause damage to the person using them and to surface they are applied to (sometimes irreparably) because the detailer was not educated regarding the chemical make-up of the products they used.

Conversely I also want to say that it`s a waste of time to dedicate too much time and attention to them. All that is required is that you learn some basic chemistry i.e. what pH values mean, what chemicals will safely remove stains and what detailing chemicals too avoid or the precaution to take if you do choose to use them.

[Is it true that a product that "contains oils or petroleum distillates is incompatible with EPDM"?]

a) Dependant upon the oil, but usually oils will not harm organic or non-organic rubber (EPDM)

b) Petroleum distillates are a very wide area of the hyrocarbon industy, however solvent-based (silicone oil, often called petroleum distillates ) products are harmful to rubber

The reason EPDM tears is because UV radiation causes it do dry out (oxidize) so a treatment is require to restore its flexability (see my previous post on dressings)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    Here`s one for you to try! 1Z einszett Rubber Care Stick "Gummi Pflege" prevents rubber from drying and cracking due to oxidation, heat, and UV exposure. Maintains elasticity and flexibility and will restore dried weather seals to original condition. :thumbup:
    I have this product, but honestly have forgotten to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    (Interior) Glass Seals
    ?Protect it with 1z einszett Vinyl Rubber Care & Potectant "Tiefenpfleger, if stains reappear after two coats, the vinyl or rubber is chemically bleached (See Vinyl-Plastic and Rubber Care).
    ?After treatment, I recommend protecting the trim with 303 Aerospace Protectant to provide (UV) protection Apply to a cloth or applicator pad and give the trim a quick once over.
    I also have the Tiefenphleger product. It is a nice product, that I probably don`t reach for often enough.

I don`t get the additional step of using a protectent after a protectent. Is that like wearing a belt and suspenders (or braces, if you will)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    Excellent product!

TOGWT
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    I have this product, but honestly have forgotten to try it.

I also have the Tiefenphleger product. It is a nice product, that I probably don`t reach for often enough.

I don`t get the additional step of using a protectent after a protectent. Is that like wearing a belt and suspenders (or braces, if you will)?
    I should have used the word `Maintenance` Iz Gummi Pflege" cleans, conditions. Iz Protectant for long-term protective properties, inc UV

Thread Information