Thread: Suede...

Post Thanks / Like

Suede...

What are you guys using to clean and protect suede? IMO this is one of the most sensitive surfaces to clean and protect, and I see so many vehicles that have damaged suede due to impropper cleaning/protecting.

What are you guys using, and how is it working for you?

Nick

TOGWT
    Nubuck (N-Nubuck / Alcantara?) Nubuck is top-grain cattle hide leather that has been sanded or buffed on the grain side, or outside, to give a slight nap of short protein fibres, producing a velvet-like surface.

Suede is not commonly found in vehicles, however, Nubuck or a synthetic known as Alcantara? is commonly found in sports luxury vehicles; on the steering wheel, armrests and seat inserts both for aesthetic purposes and grip (on the seats and steering wheel) and the headliner, it is highly absorbent, creating a texture similar to velvet, many people confuse this product with suede leather.

Suede
    Custom designed suede interiors should be cleaned by using a napping brush to raise the pile and then use solvent-free foam cleaner. To maintain a clean surface use a spray on (Leather Master) protection.

As a general rule when cleaning Nubuck, Alcantara ?, Suede, Ecsaine, etc you should only to use products specifically designed for this type of fabric. Avoid using a product designed for cleaning leather. It`s also important to do a patch test before cleaning any fabric to make sure the colour or integrity of the fabric won`t be damaged. To do this, apply your cleaning product to an area that doesn`t show to see what the effect will be.

Foam Cleaner (N-Nubuck / Alcantara? ) is a solvent free pump action product, which is extremely efficient for the cleaning of general soiling and water based stains on Nubuck, brushed aniline and suede leathers. Always pre-test the product on a hidden area. This cleaner is an aerosol version of Leather Master? Strong Cleaner.

The advantage of foam over liquid is the minimum amount of moisture, very important for cleaning absorbent materials. Clean the surface with a Leather Master? cleaning pad, or use the foam cleaner. The foam created by this aerosol has the consistency of shaving cream, making it ideal for sensitive leather. Do not allow to dry as it can leave spot marks. For heavily soiled areas, or where the leather has become ingrained such as in creases in the leather, a soft brush can be used to agitate and loosen the dirt.
    These steps may be all you need to clean these surface but if it still appears stained, you can try adding a small amount of white vinegar to a soft washcloth and gently buff the surface.

Be sure to do your patch test first. For rally stubborn stains; clean the surface with 303? Cleaner & Spot Remover (do not saturate) it removes oil, grease, ink, berry juice, wine and blood. It contains no soaps, detergents, phosphates, nitrates, caustics, toxic organics, enzymes or volatile organic chemicals (VOC)

Using a soft upholstery brush or a Rubber Suede Brush to raise the `nap` of the surface then apply cleaner by spraying onto a 100% cotton towel (do not saturate) allow to air dry. The surface of these leathers has no protective barrier, and as a result these leathers are very prone to soiling and staining. To protect unfinished leathers including deerskin and unfinished dyed leathers, use Leather Master? Nubuck Protection

Methodology
    ?Shake well before use
    ?Spray a small amount of the product no more than 12 inches from the leather`s surface.
    ?Use a sponge to work the foam into the soiled area, as it acts as a cushion, preventing too much pressure.
    ?Gently wipe away excess foam, and allow to dry for 30 minutes.
    ?Repeat for extremely soiled areas.
    ?Once the area is clean, apply a Nubuck Protectant to prevent future soiling

An extract from one of a series of in-depth ? detailing articles by TOGWT ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Th only thing I would not fear using would be water.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently cleaned the light oak Alcantara seats in a Chevy Malibu. They had some coffee stains and surface dirt.

I started out using a Meguiars carpet/upholstery brush, dry, with no product. I was pleasantly surprized to find that most of the stains and dirt came out with dry brushing!

For the more stubborn stains, I used Woolite foaming fabric cleaner. I let it soak for a couple minutes, then gently agitated with a clean microfiber. Sprayed with clear water and wiped.

Then I was finished, I gave the seats one more brushing with the upholstery brush. Turned out very nice. Customer was pleased.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Thread Information