Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning a "cloth" vinyl top

I recently bought a 2001 Miata SE (Special Edition), in good shape, except for a number of items that need detailing. Item #1 is the convertible top, a special tan vinyl that is texturized (lightly pebbled) to look like cloth.

It was pretty dirty, and a thorough cleaning with 303 did most of the job. However, the top has some spots which look like grease and won`t come out. These stains were apparently picked up from some thick gunk that accumulated under the frame rail that runs behind the rear window (the top would brush against the gunk when it was folded down). I`ve removed the worst of the gunk, so it won`t be causing new stains. As I said, I`ve treated the existing stains with 303 (and also RaggTop, for good measure). Left both to sit for 15 minutes, agitated with a soft brush, basically nothing happened. (I also tried scrubbing a small stained area treated with 303 with a soft toothbrush, just to see what happened with a little more elbow grease, and the result wasn`t good -- it was definitely going to cause scratching if I continued.)

Any suggestions for how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Assuming this isn`t hopeless, It almost seems that I need something like a vinyl cleaner with a soft abrasive, if there is such a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Royster View Post
    I recently bought a 2001 Miata SE (Special Edition), in good shape, except for a number of items that need detailing. Item #1 is the convertible top, a special tan vinyl that is texturized (lightly pebbled) to look like cloth.

It was pretty dirty, and a thorough cleaning with 303 did most of the job. However, the top has some spots which look like grease and won`t come out. These stains were apparently picked up from some thick gunk that accumulated under the frame rail that runs behind the rear window (the top would brush against the gunk when it was folded down). I`ve removed the worst of the gunk, so it won`t be causing new stains. As I said, I`ve treated the existing stains with 303 (and also RaggTop, for good measure). Left both to sit for 15 minutes, agitated with a soft brush, basically nothing happened. (I also tried scrubbing a small stained area treated with 303 with a soft toothbrush, just to see what happened with a little more elbow grease, and the result wasn`t good -- it was definitely going to cause scratching if I continued.)

Any suggestions for how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Assuming this isn`t hopeless, It almost seems that I need something like a vinyl cleaner with a soft abrasive, if there is such a thing.
    You could try a Mr. Clean Eraser. I`ve had good luck on a lot of stains with those.

D!
    D!Tail Guru
    TSGAutoCare
    Salt Lake City, Utah

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks for the suggestion. Honestly, those Magic Eraser pads look like a joke, but they really work. I`d say about 85% of the stains are gone with one pass, and I should be able to get the rest when I can see what I`m doing (I ran out of daylight yesterday).

Post Thanks / Like
    Royster also try some Folex you can get it at Lowes or Home depot for about $6 It`s a carpet spot remover works real well.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful with the Mr Clean eraser pads, they do work in removing the stains and also the color of the vinyl too. Try to keep cleaning that area with Raggtopp cleaner with a soft brush , let us know on how it turn out and maybe with some photos too.http://www.properautocare.com/ragclean.html
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

TOGWT
    Badly stained material - Amazing Roll-Off is a concentrated, water-activated cleaner. Wet the area to be cleaned with distilled water, lightly spray and rinse thoroughly. For neglected convertible fabric tops leave above solution fabric cleaner on overnight, keep damp by covering with a plastic sheet, once stains are removed rinse thoroughly and apply protection.

Thread Information