Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leather Care

Post Thanks / Like
    I have also used lexol products for years on my cars and coats and have never had a smell issue, I am an auto mechanic and the biggest cause of "stinky leather" I have found is sweat.(for example, in my town car the A/C went out, I drove it for 2 days(5 miles each way to work and back)before I fixed it, now, I am not big or unusually sweaty but it took almost a year for it to smell "normal" after 20 miles of summer driving with no A/C..My only other thought is, are you using a "damp" or "wet" rag to apply the cleaner??

Post Thanks / Like
    is it truly the boot? or is the smell coming from under the car as you drive and just drifting up through the boot? There is also a seal in the floor around the cable that keeps water etc. out of the car, if that`s ripped the boot may get wet underneath while driving in wet conditions...

Honorary Master Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan Great question!

First lets define for the other detailers what is Aniline Leather.

Aniline Leather is colored all the way through with a transparent dye. The effect is applied by immersing the leather in a dye bath. Because the finish is transparent and shows the natural markings of the leather, only the best quality hides can be used.

99% of the exotic or high end cars I work with have top rated quality leather, such as Italian leather. Now you also have the lesser quality leather on the non exotics. Which they fit into this category Finish leather: Which is any enhancing effect applied to leather after it has been tanned. Examples are dyeing, embossing, buffing, antiquing, waxing, waterproofing, and so on. I have work with cars with less then 10 years old and the leather is torn and had to be replace.

Now When I spray dye on leather I use in the dye what is called a cross linker. This will protect the leather dye from being broken down and coming off with detergents. Most cars have a finish on the leather that protects the dye from detergents and many other products used in the market to wipe down dirt.

The problem with this type of protection at times is that the leather is harder to treat from cracking. I also have the option to spray the leather once its dyed with a low satin clear that is made for dyeing leather. Almost like saying base coat clear coat. Just like clear coats it has to breath.

The pigment underneath depends on how you treat the clear. The oils and rejuvenator or restore help to preserve the leather. Most cars that have gone through years of neglect or have had no attention to the leather will suffer the consequence.

For example I don`t like the shiny look on my car or cars leather seats I like a satin or matt look. Yet others like using products that are very shiny with uv protection. But how about protecting the leather. I have personally use and like what leatherherapy has done to the leather of my customers cars. I have been using it for years.

Leathertherapy also make a great product called Leather Finish. It`s a protective luster that helps shield against drying sun,wind and moisture. It`s a flexible durable surface coating. Will protect dyed, antique or polish leathers. can be used on all color leathers. Always try in a hidden area to see if the gloss is what you like.

This is the truth and facts. I use what works and gives me first as a client to the product the results I expect. would I continue to use this on my cars home leather furniture yes. And is it safe and gives me long term great results yes. I encourage you and who ever has even deeper question to call leathertherapy ask for Pino or Ana. They are the owners and creators of this product. There knowledge on leather care is there specialty.

Regards
    Eddy Fiuza

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Eddy. Im definitely interested in trying their products, I sent them an email.

Honorary Master Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your welcome Dan: You can always pm me if you have other questions.
    Sincerely,
    Eddy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information