Post Thanks / Like

Best and quickest way to remove glue?

The glue I believe is a black silicon glue as it is very soft, pliable and not staining. I am trying to get it back to original. The shell was just that, a hard fiberglass cover and I am removing it because somebody who might want to purchase the vehicle will be turned off or realize there is time and expense involved to get it back to original.
    Before and what it might end up looking like
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best and quickest way to remove glue?

If that`s really silicone RTV, the chemicals required to dissolve that are rather exotic and are likely to damage the dash. If it`s something else, maybe someone else will chime in with some dash-safe solvents to try. Have you tried any APC to see if that stuff will move at all?

Post Thanks / Like

I`d reach for one of the citrus-based adhesive removers and hope the smell dissipates. OR, if I were feeling really lucky and unusually accepting of risk...gulp...3M Adhesive Remover. But man-oh-man would I be careful with that stuff on vinyl...sometimes it`s no problem at all, other times, well...it`s a good way to ruin something.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the dash cracked or discolored? If so, put the shell back on and call it a day.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow ! What happened!!
    Can you roll it up into balls with your fingers, etc., and then peel them off the dash?

Have your tried 91% isopropyl alcohol? Always test a tiny spot with a Q-tip to make sure it does not damage the finish, etc..

Is that glue on the original dash?
    Good luck with this -
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

A little heat would probably be helpful too...but don`t overdo it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Wow ! What happened!!
    Can you roll it up into balls with your fingers, etc., and then peel them off the dash?

Have your tried 91% isopropyl alcohol? Always test a tiny spot with a Q-tip to make sure it does not damage the finish, etc..

Is that glue on the original dash?
    Good luck with this -
    Dan F
    Yes you can roll it up. Some places I can peel it off but there are 4 or 5 places it is real stubborn. Feels like RTV for sure
    That is the real dash.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    A little heat would probably be helpful too...but don`t overdo it.
    Wife`s blow dryer didn`t do much of anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Is the dash cracked or discolored? If so, put the shell back on and call it a day.
    Not cracked, that`s why I didn`t put the shell back on. I can always have it re-dyed

Post Thanks / Like

I`m with Accumulator on this one; 3M Adhesive Remover. Anything "stronger" and you`ll damage the vinyl or at least the coloring/dye that`s in it.

AND, even if you do remove the RTV, is there a chance that over time it may have "stained" or leached out (chemically altered) the dye color in the vinyl??
    You did not say how long this fiberglass cover was on the dash. Just curious.
    GB detailer

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Yes you can roll it up. Some places I can peel it off but there are 4 or 5 places it is real stubborn. Feels like RTV for sure
    That is the real dash.
    Perhaps the 91% IPA could help the glue "release" so you could roll it up? I remember having to do this to the ppf on the side of my Jeep. Yeah, the ppf came of easily with my heat gun, the glue that remained was not going to ever cooperate. I got this IPA to loosen the glue enough that I could roll up lots of little balls of it and eventually, with lots of patience, it all came off and the panel was beautiful..
    Perhaps, call the people who made that glue and ask them how do they remove it, since they make it??
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I`m with Accumulator on this one; 3M Adhesive Remover. Anything "stronger" and you`ll damage the vinyl or at least the coloring/dye that`s in it.

AND, even if you do remove the RTV, is there a chance that over time it may have "stained" or leached out (chemically altered) the dye color in the vinyl??
    You did not say how long this fiberglass cover was on the dash. Just curious.
    Well, I bought this ultra rare car (123 made) going on 8 yrs. now and the shell was on it then. So I don`t really know. I do know the previous owner didn`t put it on while in his posession.
    No staining, I don`t know if that means it was a good quality RTV.
    I had to bring out the big guns for the stubborn RTV that didn`t want to let go. It`s not perfect but not bad enough that I would have to dye it. My door cards are Pigskin vinyl and has a splotchy look to it and the dash has a faint splotchiness, so its a match.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Perhaps the 91% IPA could help the glue "release" so you could roll it up? I remember having to do this to the ppf on the side of my Jeep. Yeah, the ppf came of easily with my heat gun, the glue that remained was not going to ever cooperate. I got this IPA to loosen the glue enough that I could roll up lots of little balls of it and eventually, with lots of patience, it all came off and the panel was beautiful..
    Perhaps, call the people who made that glue and ask them how do they remove it, since they make it??
    Dan F
    Can`t ask as the car was imported a long time ago.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Thread Information