Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on leather coating

I’ve been using Leather Doctor (Roger Koh) stuff for the last few years and it works pretty well. It worked really well on my old jag. However, my wife has tan leather in her car and it is a lot of work to keep clean. Was thinking about using a coating on it to make it easier to keep ahead of, something like Gyeon Leather Shield or CarPro Leather 2.0. Thoughts?

also, she has perforated ventilated seats if that makes a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoughts on leather coating

I have used them and they work well. They are easy to maintain. Just know that abrasion is going to wear them away especially on areas that see more traffic. The new cquartz leather 2.0 has the best look compared to other leather coatings.

I usually go back and forth on leather coatings. Lately I have gone back to Colourlock and have been satisfied with it. Colourlock is just as hydrophobic as a leather coating. Just needs to be reapplied more often.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes dgage, Old Pirate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just used Gyeon Leathershield. Works well hydrophobic and didn’t change the look of leather. Only a couple week and The Guz has stated you should get a year. I’ll probably do driver seat in 6 months just to use up. Easy as a sealant to use.

Be careful if it is aniline leather as they say don’t use it on that. Leathercoat is recommended in it’s stead.

ColourLock also has an aniline product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m not really sure what the purpose of coating a coated leather would be. Natural leather might be a different story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I`m not really sure what the purpose of coating a coated leather would be. Natural leather might be a different story.
    The factory coating can be affected just like clearcoat. UV’s, abrasions, abrasions, spills and contaminants.

Just another level of protection to help with the longevity of the leather coating

Likes Old Pirate, Cadfael, bob m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My wife really loves he car and wants to keep it a long time. I, however, dislike cleaning the monster. So, if I can find things that make it easier while keeping it in great shape as long as possible, well...

Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon has worked quite well in keeping the blue stains from jeans off of my wife`s light tan leather seats.
    2021 Acura RDX, Pearl Red
    2022 Cadillac CT-4V Blackwing, Blaze Orange
    2022 Mazda MX-5, Snowflake White
    Likes Coatings=crack, Cadfael, Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP send me your shipping info and I’ll send you a bottle of Adams Leather Coating. I have no use for it. Easy to work with and if you have the UV light you can seen where you missed a spot for application.
    Likes T-man143, bob m, Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have to consider "how to get the old stuff off" when it comes time to reapply today`s Leather Coatings?

Just curious...I`ve never had trouble keeping leather OK without such seemingly extreme measures (e.g. the Audis, newest of which is 20yo) by using stuff like the Leather Doctor products (best I`ve ever used, kinda to the point of overkill IMO).

Post Thanks / Like

I have always been a little unsure about "SI02 coatings" for use on interior and leather surfaces.

For a while now I have been using the Colourlock Leather Kit for my interior leather surfaces. Using a cleaner and sealant from a company that specializes in interior and leather care just makes more sense to me.
    Likes Coatings=crack, Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If there is one detailing subject that constantly keeps coming up in this forum, it is leather care. There really is no one consensus of opinion as to what the best leather-care products are and how to care for them.

I am still of the old-school clean-and-condition. That said, the coating for coated leathers makes sense to prolong the life of the coating and the leather under it. By the same token, many detailers and vehicle owners who have coated leather in their vehicles prefer to leave them as-is: cleaned, but with no conditioners, preservatives, or coatings. Like I said, it is a VERY subjective opinion of what or what NOT to put on coated leather.

There are a host of good leather cleaners for coated leather out there, but I will say that "gentle" (IE; low heat) steam-cleaning is still the best and most efficient way to clean coated leather, followed by a leather-specific cleaner. Some prefer using a more diluted All-Purpose-Cleaner (APC) or even Woolite delicate laundry soap (ANOTHER point of contention. Don`t even go there!). Like I said, it is a very subjective and controversial detailing topic of how to "properly" care for coated leathers.
    GB detailer
    Likes Cadfael liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Do you have to consider "how to get the old stuff off" when it comes time to reapply today`s Leather Coatings?

Just curious...I`ve never had trouble keeping leather OK without such seemingly extreme measures (e.g. the Audis, newest of which is 20yo) by using stuff like the Leather Doctor products (best I`ve ever used, kinda to the point of overkill IMO).
    Gyeon just says reapply when you think it’s done. After a good cleaning of course. I don’t believe this is like a paint Coating which will offer better beading and self cleaning than anything out their including FK.

In the Leather coating world i just think the protection lasts longer. Have to apply less often

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on leather coating

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    If there is one detailing subject that constantly keeps coming up in this forum, it is leather care. There really is no one consensus of opinion as to what the best leather-care products are and how to care for them.

I am still of the old-school clean-and-condition. That said, the coating for coated leathers makes sense to prolong the life of the coating and the leather under it. By the same token, may detailers and vehicle owners who have coated leather in their vehicles prefer to leave them as-is: cleaned, but with no conditioners, preservatives, or coatings. Like I said, it is a VERY subjective opinion of what or what NOT to put on coated leather.

There are a host of good leather cleaners for coated leather out there, but I will say that "gentle" (IE; low heat) steam-cleaning is still the best and most efficient way to clean coated leather, followed by a leather-specific cleaner. Some prefer using a more diluted All-Purpose-Cleaner (APC) or even Woolite delicate laundry soap (ANOTHER point of contention. Don`t even go there!). Like I said, it is a very subjective and controversial detailing topic of how to "properly" care for coated leathers.
    I thought that too as to tell the truth i’d never had issues with leather in modern coated leather except with creasing.

Wasn’t sure i was going to coat as usually i used nothing for fear of a greasy seat. The only reason i thought about it was to increase quality of appearance.

LC’s don’t do that. Then i read LC’s aren’t about protecting the leather like most leather products are but more like protecting the leather coating like a clear coat and it made perfect sense.

Funny now because i can’t use in my car because the leather is Aniline and coatings specifically say don’t use on that.

For the record my interior is a Katzkins which, talking to them, is only recommend to wipe down with damp cloth or to use bar soap and water for soils.

Me being a topper junky I used Gueon LeathrCoat which I had to top LeatherShield. That product is aniline safe.

Cleaned with P&S express diluted 50/50.

Here is the leather sheild on 2016 toyota leather. Did not do anything to darken leather but came out nice for 6 year old 80’ 000 mile leather that never been treated.

Post Thanks / Like

Leather coatings are great from keeping liquids from being absorbed into the leather. A good option for those with kids that drink stuff in the car. Now it won`t keep liquids from penetrating through the perforations.

They also make maintenance much easier and are more durable than a typical leather protectant.

When someone hears leather coating they automatically thing it is going to form an impervious layer and that they will harden like a paint coating. They do not. They are intended to stay flexible and can be removed with abrasion. Now will abrasion remove it at the microscopic level? Probably not but one would have to shrink that level to see if it does. I have abraded off leather coatings from Gyeon, CarPro and Adams using the CarPro Inner Scrub Glove. Essentially the more that area is used the more it will be abraded off over time from sliding in and out.

In the end it is personal preference.
    Likes Older, Cadfael liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info on reapplying, greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information