Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoughts on leather coating

For smooth leather surfaces like steering wheels and shift knobs, is there any difference in feel between a coating and other traditional leather products?

My cars with leather interior bits have lower grade leather with high levels of protective coating so I don`t think it would really matter whether I used a leather product or a generic interior protectant/coating. However, the steering wheel, shift knob, and hand brake handle in my daily are a softer, more porous grade of leather. When properly cleaned they are rather grippy which is nice when doing performance driving events. I don`t have to wear gloves. Do the leather coatings change the feel?

I have some DP VLP interior coating which I was given to test out and like better each time I try it. I`ve only used it on the vinyl and plastic bits so far and it doesn`t seem to change them any, but those surfaces are mostly textured. I wasn`t sure what would happen on smooth leather.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    For smooth leather surfaces like steering wheels and shift knobs, is there any difference in feel between a coating and other traditional leather products?

My cars with leather interior bits have lower grade leather with high levels of protective coating so I don`t think it would really matter whether I used a leather product or a generic interior protectant/coating. However, the steering wheel, shift knob, and hand brake handle in my daily are a softer, more porous grade of leather. When properly cleaned they are rather grippy which is nice when doing performance driving events. I don`t have to wear gloves. Do the leather coatings change the feel?

I have some DP VLP interior coating which I was given to test out and like better each time I try it. I`ve only used it on the vinyl and plastic bits so far and it doesn`t seem to change them any, but those surfaces are mostly textured. I wasn`t sure what would happen on smooth leather.
    Should be fine. I use PBL V&L coating on wheel and it’s great. Never used the DP but both are PBMG products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got around to using it on the driver’s seat of my wife’s SUV. Went on ok. Don’t have a UV light but I could tell pretty well where I put it. Didn’t put it on the steering wheel because I was worried about it being to slick. Going to see if my wife likes it before adding more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information