Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

How to remove a piece of rubber stuck on carpet?

This piece is solidly stuck on the carpet. How do you safely remove it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove a piece of rubber stuck on carpet?

bcgreen- I`d try to figure out what`s holding it to the carpet...glue/etc. Otherwise, I`d be thinking about applying some heat to see if that softened up whatever that [adhering substance] might be. Or maybe applying some 3M Adhesive Remover around the periphery of the thing.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    bcgreen- I`d try to figure out what`s holding it to the carpet...glue/etc. Otherwise, I`d be thinking about applying some heat to see if that softened up whatever that [adhering substance] might be. Or maybe applying some 3M Adhesive Remover around the periphery of the thing.
    What Accumulator said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, I would carefully try a little heat in a corner of it and gently, see if it will release there, first.. It using a heat gun, be extra careful as they really put out a higher concentration of heat than say, a hair dryer..

If no luck, then the same process, at a corner, apply a little 3M adhesive remover, perhaps with a Q-tip or something, so you can control the quantity, and gently pull and see if it starts to release from the carpet fibers..

Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    What Accumulator said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, I would carefully try a little heat in a corner of it and gently, see if it will release there, first.. It using a heat gun, be extra careful as they really put out a higher concentration of heat than say, a hair dryer..

If no luck, then the same process, at a corner, apply a little 3M adhesive remover, perhaps with a Q-tip or something, so you can control the quantity, and gently pull and see if it starts to release from the carpet fibers..

Good luck !
    Dan F
    Exactly what I did. Didn`t have any 3M remover just adhesive. So I went with something I had on the shelf, Pro version of Goof Off. I went at it with a Q tip and worked it like a scaple. 1/2 hr. later and it was off. I think there are other areas of just adhesive scattered about so, perhaps a steamer will get the adhesive up instead of using a shampoo to clean the carpets as well. The hair dryer was going to be the next step.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Exactly what I did. Didn`t have any 3M remover just adhesive. So I went with something I had on the shelf, Pro version of Goof Off. I went at it with a Q tip and worked it like a scaple. 1/2 hr. later and it was off. I think there are other areas of just adhesive scattered about so, perhaps a steamer will get the adhesive up instead of using a shampoo to clean the carpets as well. The hair dryer was going to be the next step.

Great job, bcgreen !!! So glad to read you found a solution !

I have used that Goof Off Pro from Home Depot for decades.. It really works great!

When I lived in the Pacific Northwest for 11 years recently, that product was the only thing that worked on removing those nasty Artillery Fungus things that loved to attach themselves to white vehicle paint.. I even found some on the tops of trucks!..

And exactly the same process - get Goof Off on end of Qtip, carefully apply to that 1 artillery fungus for a few seconds, see if it comes off on Qtip, blot area dry.. Over and over, for hundreds of those little devils..

If you still have places where the adhesive is still there, why not try to see if you can remove it with the Goof Off? Does it take the carpet dye color out too?

Perhaps, soak a little of your product on a cotton cloth, that has no big color, like white, and let it soak on the adhesive for a few seconds, and gently pull the cloth up and see what stuck to it... I know, its tedious..
    You are doing great !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Great job, bcgreen !!! So glad to read you found a solution !

I have used that Goof Off Pro from Home Depot for decades.. It really works great!

When I lived in the Pacific Northwest for 11 years recently, that product was the only thing that worked on removing those nasty Artillery Fungus things that loved to attach themselves to white vehicle paint.. I even found some on the tops of trucks!..

And exactly the same process - get Goof Off on end of Qtip, carefully apply to that 1 artillery fungus for a few seconds, see if it comes off on Qtip, blot area dry.. Over and over, for hundreds of those little devils..

If you still have places where the adhesive is still there, why not try to see if you can remove it with the Goof Off? Does it take the carpet dye color out too?

Perhaps, soak a little of your product on a cotton cloth, that has no big color, like white, and let it soak on the adhesive for a few seconds, and gently pull the cloth up and see what stuck to it... I know, its tedious..
    You are doing great !
    Dan F
    No kidding, that would a big job if all the carpets had glue. I attacked some other areas on that one piece of carpet where you could see glue and got most of it, but what was left behind were specks of glue, here and there. There is still alot of surface glue all over. To get all the glue off might take me another 3 - 4 hrs. and 1/2 bottle of Goof for that one piece of carpet. There has got to be a better way to get all those specks of glue, maybe it will come out much easier and better once I get it steamed.
    I am thinking this is carpet glue from, long, long, ago. It sits mostly on the surface. The piece of rubber must of been pretty old too because it was brittle and in a few spots the rubber is very thin. Maybe the thin pieces are tar that is very old, I mean years, if not decades old. Who ever was working on the inside of the car was very sloppy.
    Accum, is the 3M Adhesive a more efficient product for what I am doing?

Post Thanks / Like

bcgreen- Ah, glad to hear it`s gong well, even if you do still have some residual adhesive to deal with.

I wonder if the mat originally had a large "heel pad"/etc. that`s 99% come off. The driver`s mat in my `93 Audi had one that eventually come loose and I cleaned the little residue remaining off with the 3M I`m always raving about.

Yes, the old 3M Adhesive Remover is *THAT* much better than anything else I`ve ever tried. BUT, sigh...it was a Pre-VOC product and I`ve never seen it in non-aerosol form since those regs got in place. No idea at all whether you can still find it (I bought a lifetime supply). It is just *utterly* superior to any other Release Agent I`ve ever used, zero comparison. Heh heh, I actually feel a bit guilty raving about it since it`s N/A now...

Post Thanks / Like

No heel. In 76, Porsche needed to keep the weight down to match exactly the same weight and performance as the 73 Carrera RS.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, OK..huh, wonder what it was then...at least you`re on the right track now.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: 3 hrs. later. I cleaned up all the dark spots and the vinyl edging. Came out rather nice - the edging that is. So, I decided to use my Folex with a brush attached to my drill to clean the rest of the carpet. What happened was, what was rather invisible, was all the glue that blended into the carpet, has now became quite obvious.
    I found that I do indeed have some 3M Adhesive Remover. Tried that and found it rather comparable to Goof Off.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: 3 hrs. later. I cleaned up all the dark spots and the vinyl edging. Came out rather nice - the edging that is...[but]...What happened was, what was rather invisible, was all the glue that blended into the carpet, has now became quite obvious.
    Oh sheesh, that sounds like another project for you...

I found that I do indeed have some 3M Adhesive Remover. Tried that and found it rather comparable to Goof Off.
    Gee, I`m surprised (and disappointed) that it doesn`t work a lot better! Eh...sorry you`re not having better luck with this

Post Thanks / Like

Oh sheesh, that sounds like another project for you...

Gee, I`m surprised (and disappointed) that it doesn`t work a lot better! Eh...sorry you`re not having better luck with this
    My only project.

Post Thanks / Like

My only project.
    Well *that`s* good to hear, at least IMO Get that done and take it easy says I!

Post Thanks / Like

Well *that`s* good to hear, at least IMO Get that done and take it easy says I!
    Going by a janitorial supply store and see what they say about the glue on carpet..

Post Thanks / Like

He said to try a number of products to see what works - "No magic bullet"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information