Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealing with the Corona Epidemic

DO NOT GO To Costco or other packed warehouses (That window has closed), the point of the quarantine is to avoid mass gatherings. The odd`s are at this point there is someone there spreading it, usually unknowingly.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The whole "avoidance of crowds" is why I`m taking advantage of Sr. Hour. That`s when there are the fewest other shoppers, the store is the cleanest it`s gonna be, and the people who are there are, *IMO*, most likely to take this whole thing seriously. When I hear about younger folks (including some of my in-laws!) going to the beach/etc. I think that I don`t want those [individuals] anywhere near my life.

John U- Glad you got to in/out quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie
    I was wondering if ozone generators are a "better" disinfectant than UV. Don`t know...
    That`s a good Q, and I don`t know either. That said..

I suspect that the UV is best because 1) most Ozone generators don`t produce as much as might be optimal (operative "might"), if only because most consumer-level ones don`t come close to being able to kill mold/etc. or even knock out nasty odors permanently , 2) UV sterilization is highly regarded by the health care folks I know, who use versions of it to treat medical equip, and 3) the required exposure time for my UV-C sterilizer to do its thing is *really* brief compared to how long I run the (high-spec) Ozone generator for much of anything.
    Likes John U liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite, Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    When I hear about younger folks (including some of my in-laws!) going to the beach/etc.....
    The beach here is closed I found out yesterday when I was walking. I had to sneak on it to get to where I was going.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Between the closure and your ability to, uhm...skirt same, that all sounds good to me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    When you go from ~89,000 cases on March 1, 2020 to ~381,000 cases end of day March 23, 2020. It think it is safe to say that COVID-19 is highly contagious.......

not that that many people new contracted it. Testing numbers went way up. So finding those cases that previously went undetected. 80.9% of those infected have mild symptoms. I`m sure the number of infected are much, much higher than any of these stats show. Which would also give false percentages when talking about mortality rates. We had already been through this for my wife and i at the beginning of the month. Weren`t even tested till after we felt better. At that point they were just figuring out that many don`t even get a cough. For us it was three days of not feeling that great.

those with immune system issues always need to be extra vigilant. Respiratory viruses are always a issue for those with COPD, asthma, etc. not undermining this, but at the same time for most it is mild. This like always, if you`re sick stay home.

fact since we started taking 800mg ashwagandha root. We had even had a cold up till we got this. Even this was only a headache, fever and some lethargy. Its a proven immune system builder, among other good things. There`s been a increase in oncologists who have figured this out now too.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Coleroad- Glad to hear you/yours came through that OK

Post Thanks / Like

Houston is shutdown, but apparently I am essential personnel so no vacation for me. I’m happy to have a job through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    These views on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated gibberish and in no way should be used to judge my IQ or mental state.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it turns out the person I know that seemed to have it probably didn`t, fever for only one day...unless it`s this way...

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    At that point they were just figuring out that many don`t even get a cough. For us it was three days of not feeling that great.
    Even this was only a headache, fever and some lethargy.
    You`re saying your wife and you had it, and that was all that happened?

I suspect that the UV is best because 2) UV sterilization is highly regarded by the health care folks I know, who use versions of it to treat medical equip
    I don`t know what goes on in Ohio, but even several years ago one of the hospitals around here was showing in their magazine that they send around, a giant UV light thing that they would wheel into an unoccupied room, and on some sort of programmed cycle (so the operator could leave before it started up) it would singe every bacteria in the whole room. Here`s one you can get on sale for $26.5K: https://www.airpurifiersandcleaners....r-robot-system

EDIT: This looks more like the one my local hospital was using: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hiqPUXeAgk

Post Thanks / Like

Built myself a bookcase today, not the prettiest thing, but at 8 feet tall and 38 inches wide, it has plenty of room. Still miss my bookcase that I had to leave at school as it looks MUCH nicer, haha. Thanks COVID-19. #stillpayingLBKrent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Well, it turns out the person I know that seemed to have it probably didn`t, fever for only one day...unless it`s this way...

You`re saying your wife and you had it, and that was all that happened?

yes, it was a pretty good headache, a temp ranging fro upper 99 to around 102. Symptoms hit me a day before my wife. I thought i had a case of frontal sinusitis going on. So i went to the dr that day. He wrote out a script for a Z-pac. That i could get filled if it turned into a ear infection for me. Ear infections have not been a minor thing for me. Next day my wife started feeling the same way. Headache, fever. I then decided we had a mild case of the flu. After three days we both felt almost back to normal. A couple of days later i was reading about a group in Washington state and the covid19. They had the exact symptoms we had, and tested positive. So then i got back ahold of the dr. And he got us tested. Came back positive for us both. It was mild for us, and is for many. That said a fair number it is a bigger deal, and some it`s a critical deal. As a whole they are saying 80.9% have rather mild symptoms. My point was the media seems to want to focus on that 19% of more severe and critical cases. We are in our fifties, so definitely not young fry. Don`t take it lightly, but it`s not the Spanish flu either. This mutation of SARS just seems to be more easily transmitted. Thank goodness it doesn`t seem to have the same mortality rate as the original SARS-CoV-1. SARS-CoV-2 is going to kill more though because of how many will get it as compared to SARS-CoV-1. Corona viruses have been identified since the 60`s. While this specific mutation is new. Corona virus is nothing new.

covid19 stands for corona virus identified 2019. Its true name is SARS-CoV-2.

Edit: funny thing our son never showed any signs he got it.
    Likes John U liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1, Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

That`s a good Q, and I don`t know either. That said..

I suspect that the UV is best because 1) most Ozone generators don`t produce as much as might be optimal (operative "might"), if only because most consumer-level ones don`t come close to being able to kill mold/etc. or even knock out nasty odors permanently , 2) UV sterilization is highly regarded by the health care folks I know, who use versions of it to treat medical equip, and 3) the required exposure time for my UV-C sterilizer to do its thing is *really* brief compared to how long I run the (high-spec) Ozone generator for much of anything.
    Accumulator - Are you able to share what UV sterilizer you’re using, and for how long? You’ve opened up a google door for me to go through to educate myself on the subject, but I obviously respect your choice as I know you likely didn’t just buy the first one you found.
    I’ve long heard of UV used for such a purpose (the Mrs works at a medical company where they use it for sterilizing equipment as you mention), but hadn’t thought of it for civilian surface sterilization.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    fact since we started taking 800mg ashwagandha root. We had even had a cold up till we got this. Even this was only a headache, fever and some lethargy. Its a proven immune system builder, among other good things. There`s been a increase in oncologists who have figured this out now too.
    Coleroad - Glad you and the little lady made it through on the mild side!

Where do you get your Ashwaganda root? It was brought up to me once by a chiropractor/physical therapist, but I never made it as far as trying to source some. It’s one where I didn’t know where you could trust sourcing it. (You can get anything on the internet, but how do you know what you actually got sometimes?).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post

Where do you get your Ashwaganda root? It was brought up to me once by a chiropractor/physical therapist, but I never made it as far as trying to source some. It’s one where I didn’t know where you could trust sourcing it. (You can get anything on the internet, but how do you know what you actually got sometimes?).
    what supplements I take, I get from Swanson. I oerder like three months there abouts at a time. So i get free shipping.
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Yeah, at least one Hospital in my area has that fancy UV contraption. Apparently it`s the [stuff].

Oneheadlite- Actually, I *did* get my UV Sterilizer without any real research! My wife got it for me as a gift a while back and I`ve only now had a good use for it.

EDIT: If Accumulatorette bought it for me, you can bet that she did indeed do some good research, and there are Med. people in her family who know from such stuff and she undoubtedly discussed it with `em. So I`m confident it wasn`t some clueless purchase.

It`s a: Verilux VH01WW4

The specifically mention killing viruses and bacteria (~90% kill rating) on certain surfaces:

For hard surfaces it actually goes pretty fast- (Extrapolating from the specs Re Influenza) A desk = 2 minutes (!) but other things go faster: bathroom sink = 45 seconds; Faucet/Toilet Seat = 8 secs; Door Knob 2 sec. Killing other Viruses like Hepatitis (27 sec) and H1N1 (12 sec) are similar. Mold can take a bit longer- Oospora Lactis (no, I don`t know what that is ) is only = 23 sec; but whatever Mucor Racemosus A is, it takes = 78Sec.

Those figures do assume you hold the Wand nice and close to the surfaces being treated, move it at the right rate, and it has to be held *horizontally* to avoid shining it in eyes/etc. which can take a little ingenuity for some things (it turns off temporarily if you tilt it up too much).

It`s when you do soft surfaces like upholstered furniture that it can take longer than I like (Flu on armchair = 2 minutes, on King bed = 6 minutes).

It`ll kill dust mites and other such nasties.

It won`t work on food/pets/people (the latter two shouldn`t be exposed to the UV-C anyhow).

Zero idea what it cost, or how its specs might compare with more recent units (assuming there are some).

The thought does occur that Pro Detailers might find one of these things worthwhile if they can justify the cost.
    Likes Coleroad liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Coleroad, glad to hear you and your wife made a full recovery. If anyone missed my update thread, we currently have most of the office staff, including me, working from home. Bruce thinks it`s the best thing ever but we`re still working on his social distance training.

Dealing with the Corona Epidemic-bruce-1.jpg

We`ve taken precautions for the safety of the warehouse staff as well and don`t anticipate any interruptions to regular business operations. Stay safe and well everyone and if you need anything from us, I`m just a private message or phone call away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Oneheadlite, Scrapyard, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Liz@Autopia- Appreciate the pic of Bruce Ours aren`t much for Social Distancing either!
    Thanks Liz@Autopia thanked for this post

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread Information