Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealing with the Corona Epidemic

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    (Cue up Blue Oyster Cult`s Godzilla: "History shows again and again how Nature points out the folly of men..")
    Mankind: "We have created arguably the greatest civilization in all of History. Our Science & Medicine are unparalleled, our Technology grows with each passing day.

We have invested eleventy-hundred trillion dollars to insure an efficient, convenient, enjoyable society with nearly unlimited freedom of movement and free-will...look at all we have accomplished!!!"

Mother Nature: "Yeah? Watch this..."
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B, 340mopars liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    not that that many people new contracted it. Testing numbers went way up. So finding those cases that previously went undetected. 80.9% of those infected have mild symptoms. I`m sure the number of infected are much, much higher than any of these stats show. Which would also give false percentages when talking about mortality rates. We had already been through this for my wife and i at the beginning of the month. Weren`t even tested till after we felt better. At that point they were just figuring out that many don`t even get a cough. For us it was three days of not feeling that great.

those with immune system issues always need to be extra vigilant. Respiratory viruses are always a issue for those with COPD, asthma, etc. not undermining this, but at the same time for most it is mild. This like always, if you`re sick stay home.

fact since we started taking 800mg ashwagandha root. We had even had a cold up till we got this. Even this was only a headache, fever and some lethargy. Its a proven immune system builder, among other good things. There`s been a increase in oncologists who have figured this out now too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    yes, it was a pretty good headache, a temp ranging fro upper 99 to around 102. Symptoms hit me a day before my wife. I thought i had a case of frontal sinusitis going on. So i went to the dr that day. He wrote out a script for a Z-pac. That i could get filled if it turned into a ear infection for me. Ear infections have not been a minor thing for me. Next day my wife started feeling the same way. Headache, fever. I then decided we had a mild case of the flu. After three days we both felt almost back to normal. A couple of days later i was reading about a group in Washington state and the covid19. They had the exact symptoms we had, and tested positive. So then i got back ahold of the dr. And he got us tested. Came back positive for us both. It was mild for us, and is for many. That said a fair number it is a bigger deal, and some it`s a critical deal. As a whole they are saying 80.9% have rather mild symptoms. My point was the media seems to want to focus on that 19% of more severe and critical cases. We are in our fifties, so definitely not young fry. Don`t take it lightly, but it`s not the Spanish flu either. This mutation of SARS just seems to be more easily transmitted. Thank goodness it doesn`t seem to have the same mortality rate as the original SARS-CoV-1. SARS-CoV-2 is going to kill more though because of how many will get it as compared to SARS-CoV-1. Corona viruses have been identified since the 60`s. While this specific mutation is new. Corona virus is nothing new.

covid19 stands for corona virus identified 2019. Its true name is SARS-CoV-2.

Edit: funny thing our son never showed any signs he got it.

Wow ! I"ve been wondering if anyone was catching it, in Autopia land ? Coleroad , glad things are better for you and family ! In a way it bodes well for us all, if mild really means just that.

I`m wondering how many others here are the Designated Goer-and-doer.

My wife and I are utterly certain that I`m less likely to bring COVID-19 home than she is, so Yours Truly is the one leaving the property for everything except our Sunday Arby`s (she knows them and gets a discount ).

It`s actually a Feature for me as I can appreciate being out/about and always prefer being personally responsible for, well...most anything. But I can imagine others feeling very differently about it too. Although Sr. Hour at the local grocery is *hours* earlier than I usually get up, much less go anywhere except for Bfast (which is off the table for the time being..oops, pun ).
    I`ve designated myself as the Goer-and-doer.. for 2 reasons :

To my OCD this is a battle that I have instinctive skills, and my better half is in the age Demographic, too stuburn at times,
    so will be getting duct taped to their recliner..maybe

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Mankind: "We have created arguably the greatest civilization in all of History. Our Science & Medicine are unparalleled, our Technology grows with each passing day.

We have invested eleventy-hundred trillion dollars to insure an efficient, convenient, enjoyable society with nearly unlimited freedom of movement and free-will...look at all we have accomplished!!!"

Mother Nature: "Yeah? Watch this..."
    You got that right Mother Nature don`t play !
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mary B- Good on you and your Better Half for objectively making that decision. Though I`d rather lock BH in an exercise room than tape same to recliner

An upside of this whole thing for me is that I`m not eating those Denny`s Bfasts, a genuine health benefit that I can already see and feel after just a few weeks! Sorta a reality check there... sorry to say And I can eat right for a long time on what each of them would`ve cost too.
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

BudgetPlan1- I do think that there will be a positive end-result where Mankind finds a way to overcome yet another Natural Threat, but this has sure exposed a lot of areas that need improvement! Ever the optimist, I firmly believe that we will get a handle on this and make plenty of unexpected ancillary advances in the process.

I for one am struggling to *NOT* think "Darwinism.." when I see people still doing risky things. I don`t want to be like that, but...but...*WHY*?
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

BudgetPlan1- I do think that there will be a positive end-result where Mankind finds a way to overcome yet another Natural Threat, but this has sure exposed a lot of areas that need improvement! Ever the optimist, I firmly believe that we will get a handle on this and make plenty of unexpected ancillary advances in the process.

I for one am struggling to *NOT* think "Darwinism.." when I see people still doing risky things. I don`t want to be like that, but...but...*WHY*?
    We`ll figure it out, we always do but it sure is impressive how much chaos in all areas of life Ma Nature has caused with this (real or imagined)

Just got back from grocery store, for the most part all items avaliable except for hand sanitizer and the like & of course toilet paper. Paper towels making a comeback on the shelves but apparently much of the population still fears a dirty backside when the apocalypse arrives.

A few hoarders still circumventing the spirit of the `One per customer` signs by bringing their whole family, each member pushing a cart and adding the same items to it. Maybe they just finally ran out of all the crap they piled up prior to the Y2K fiasco.

I figure 50/50 I get the virus somehow, it might be inevitable despite me practicing self-quarrantine and Social Distancing 24/7, 365 days a year in the best of times Dealing with the Corona Epidemic Mother Nature wants me, she gonna get me!

There`s certainly gonna be some interesting psychological studies avaliable at the end of this. Unfortunately probably a boatload of litigation too. Saw my first commercial for Personal Injury firm that, while not outright saying it, made a few subtle references to catching the virus and suggesting perhaps someone other than oneself can be blamed. I suspect TORT Law cases will be on the rise at some point.

Too bad the virus can be a killer...in and of itself it`s peeled back some interesting layers of Society and what lays beneath isnt always pleasing. Ain`t no one singing Kumbaya in the toilet paper aisle, it`s a jungle in there and only the strong survive!
    Likes Stokdgs, Coatings=crack, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Just got back from grocery store, for the most part all items avaliable except for hand sanitizer and the like & of course toilet paper.. Ain`t no one singing Kumbaya in the toilet paper aisle..
    I do wonder about some of the shortages, guess others do things differently than we do.

From buying TP in the economically-optimal bundles to always having Sanitizing Stuff on-hand (by the time you know you need it...even in more normal times)...just more cases of how different people are, well...different.

But I do still like the idea of "storing stuff at the store until you need it". It`s just not, uhm...universally applicable to all consumer goods. And I`m a big fan of taking advantage of Big Sales (I won`t be running out of canned tuna any time soon ).
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well...as Hank Hill used to say "I tell ya whut", I don`t think the world is going to learn a damn thing from this. We`re all too self-absorbed, including the government. From the local school board all the way up to the highest level, and it`s been this way for a long time. Back in the cold war days, we used to do this thing called "industrial preparedness", but apparently those concepts have died with the WWII-era gents who championed them.

If we had "industrial preparedness" we would have had stockpiles of PPE, ventilators, etc. (after all, as has been noted, we`ve been through 2 or 3 pandemics or close in the last 20 years), and not only that, we would have had industrial companies ready to go to manufacture more PPE and ventilators...oh wait, we don`t really have any industrial companies anymore, we`re a "service economy". Another thing those WWII vets would have been pulling their hair out over.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Mary B, Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Well...as Hank Hill used to say "I tell ya whut", I don`t think the world is going to learn a damn thing from this. We`re all too self-absorbed, including the government. From the local school board all the way up to the highest level, and it`s been this way for a long time. Back in the cold war days, we used to do this thing called "industrial preparedness", but apparently those concepts have died with the WWII-era gents who championed them.

If we had "industrial preparedness" we would have had stockpiles of PPE, ventilators, etc. (after all, as has been noted, we`ve been through 2 or 3 pandemics or close in the last 20 years), and not only that, we would have had industrial companies ready to go to manufacture more PPE and ventilators...oh wait, we don`t really have any industrial companies anymore, we`re a "service economy". Another thing those WWII vets would have been pulling their hair out over.
    So, so, true !!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And even sadder, almost all the WWII vets are also gone..

My Dad and his 4 brothers all went home many years ago.. And most of them had so many shrapnel, bullet, wounds, etc., I was amazed they even survived that..
    Tough sons of guns, those Texas Boys !!! All 5 died of old age..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

An interesting article on how to re-use N95 masks:
    https://www.sages.org/n-95-re-use-instructions/

Summary:
    Method 1) Have enough masks that you rotate every 3-4 days so the COVID19 virus dies out between uses
    Method 2) Heat the mask to 158F for 30 minutes [without burning your house down...]

Method 2 is also described here: https://utrf.tennessee.edu/informati...inst-covid-19/
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    An interesting article on how to re-use N95 masks:
    https://www.sages.org/n-95-re-use-instructions/

Summary:
    Method 1) Have enough masks that you rotate every 3-4 days so the COVID19 virus dies out between uses
    Method 2) Heat the mask to 158F for 30 minutes [without burning your house down...]

Method 2 is also described here: https://utrf.tennessee.edu/informati...inst-covid-19/

Wow ! Thanks for this.. I`m in the middle of trying to make my own masks, with as little sewing as possible.

Needed to know how to re-use, and how many to make. This was a well timed answer. Thanx.

I have the filter, easy enough. Just got the template figured out and sized up for my big head.
    Would like to make something like the poly. ones, that strap to your head... Heading out to find the fabric.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, my BFF`s older sister has COVID-19, got it over in The Kingdom [INSERT my usual opinion of same..] Not awful so far..fingers crossed.

AND..I read that a cat and two dogs have tested positive for it, but that it`s still considered so rare as to not be a concern (dunno about the dogs, but apparently the cat`s doing OK).

Post Thanks / Like

Someone will insert the morality (and logic) of testing pets and animals before humans when testing of humans is in short supply. Not sure if it is the same as animals.
    Makes one wonder when veterinarians will be utilized/conscripted/mandated to take care of the inevitable exponential numbers of infected humans who will inundate our healthcare system.

I do have some "detailing" questions for Autopians:
    1) Have you professionals who do detailing full time noticed a (big) drop in the number customers who want their vehicles done?
    2) Have any of you Autopians had difficulty in getting car-care products or equipment? Someone in another thread said Meguiar`s is having "trouble" fulfilling product requests for its distributors (EI, the Detailing Line of Hyperwash Concentrate Soap D110 is not in stock at the Autopia Store nor do they hawe any idea when it will become available)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie, I believe your mind to be a very interesting place.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, grisby, Mary B, BudgetPlan1, Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

One trend seems to be the stress on delivery infrastructure such as warehouses and carriers. Amazon has made it clear that non-essential items get prioritized much lower than essential items, because there are only so many trucks, warehouses, and delivery windows to be had. Even if Megs has tons of inventory, it`s likely moving more slowly than before, and therefore delays in getting to the shelves and online retailers. Those trucks are full of TP instead of D110!

When I`ve ordered cleaning supplies (automotive or household) or ventured to a store, I am tempted to buy extra in order to save having to make that trip again. There`s a fine line between doing that, and hoarding/panic buying. I don`t want to be unfair to the next person but, yeah I`d rather not come back to the store until this is all over. I think crazy inventory patterns (even at Autogeek) are showing these effects.

Post Thanks / Like

A Autopia themed Detailing question ?

I don`t use anti-fog on the cars but I`ll be looking at ACC, etc and reading up. My tactical goggles came with a small packet of anti-fog -topper- when I clean the lenses on them.

How are you boys disinfecting you cars as part of your routine these days. Whenever I am doing a -run-, the interiors where it`s being touch (even though PPE is used and removed when entering the car) I am wiping the down with a disinfectant wipe. Same goes for door handles, etc, The trunk is getting 2X sprays of alcohol. Let the 1st pass flash out and then it gets a second pass.

Even before all this, when I remove the nitrile love after opening the door, I`m still grabbing the purel I have in the cupholder before I even get in.

SLOWLY I am now reading up on waterless/rinseless washes. Was never a fan and honestly with so many unknown variables, and not enough time to read up on all the science, I am in ZERO mood to break out the hose and wash the car. Paranoid, cautious, common sense or crazy town. I`ve hit them all !

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread Information