Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealing with the Corona Epidemic

Please do not laugh at this BUT, are domestic pet animals susceptible to the COVID-19 infection/contamination???

Have they identified the animal that this virus was suppose to come from?? Granted, Sectonomy mentions the the SARS CoVID-1 was identified in the 1960`s and SARS CoVID-2 is a mutation of this virus, BUT wasn`t it thought that this virus originated in the eating of "exotic" animals like bats or snakes by humans in the Wahan China providence?
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Have they identified the animal that this virus was suppose to come from?? Granted, Sectonomy mentions the the SARS CoVID-1 was identified in the 1960`s and SARS CoVID-2 is a mutation of this virus, BUT wasn`t it thought that this virus originated in the eating of "exotic" animals like bats or snakes by humans in the Wahan China providence?
    I guess you`re talking about me...that wasn`t me that was talking about the 60`s history. As I understand it, in this case it`s a bat virus that jumped to humans not from eating an infected animal, but from surface contact in a live animal market. The intermediary between bats and humans is believed to be the pangolin, which were also present in the live market. I believe they have deduced these things from DNA present in the virus (kind of like in that movie "Contagion" that I mentioned earlier in the thread).
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Please do not laugh at this BUT, are domestic pet animals susceptible to the COVID-19 infection/contamination???

1. There have been two, media confirmed, cases of people infecting their dogs with SARS-COV-2

2. There is speculation that the animal of origin is a species of bat or a Pangolin, who really knows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    1. There have been two, media confirmed, cases of people infecting their dogs with SARS-COV-2
    I`d think that most any surface can get contaminated with the virus and from there be spread to somebody. But I just read an AP article saying that domestic pets don`t catch COVID-19. So IMO it`s a Q of whether/not you consider the Associated Press credible.

2. There is speculation that the animal of origin is a species of bat or a Pangolin..
    Yeah, my wife heard/read that people in China got it from eating bats...but as TheMeanGreen said...

..who really knows...

Post Thanks / Like

Who really knowsDealing with the Corona Epidemic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Oneheadlite: I`m sorry about your work situation. Having a family, and being able to provide for them is one of the most important we can do. I`m sure it wasn`t easy trying to explain to your daughter about the zoo or the aquarium. We spent some time the other day taking to our daughter (the Brit in my forum name), that it was possible that one of us could get sick. Parenting during these times is tough. I think being honest and upfront helps make the conversation a little easier. Hopefully things get better for everyone.

I haven`t been on here since my previous post last week or whenever it was. Life has just be too full. Thanks to everyone for your support here. Thankful we had some nice weather when I got home the other night and I got both cars washed. I think my wife knew I needed some alone time doing what I enjoy.
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yeah, my wife heard/read that people in China got it from eating bats...but as TheMeanGreen said...
    With all due respect, there is a difference between people eating bats and getting the virus FROM eating bats. My understanding is that BECAUSE people eat bats and other exotic animals (or perhaps use them for purposes other than eating, i.e. "traditional Chinese medicine"), there are markets that have these live animals, and it was in this environment that the virus mutated and jumped from bat to pangolin to human. Again, as I understand it, people were exposed to it from being in the market, not from eating what was in the market.

I hate to keep bringing up this "Contagion" movie, and I realize it was a drama not a documentary, but they portray a wild bat dropping some of its food into a pig pen, where a pig eats it, then the pig goes to a restaurant, and the chef, in the middle of preparing the pig to cook, gets called to meet and shake hands with a guest at the restaurant. The virus is passed from the handshake after the chef puts an apple in the pig`s mouth, not from eating the pig.

So maybe it was from eating a bat, or a pangolin, but even now, they say you can`t get the virus from eating it, it has to get into your lungs (of course, if you`re eating it, it`s in your mouth and has some chance of getting to your lungs, but my understanding it`s more likely you breathe in a particle or you get it in your nose and it winds up in your lungs through post-nasal drip).
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Pangolin has been discarded from the chain. The origin is still unknown.
    Not that long ago it came from camels. Not eating them, nothing weird other than veingnin contact. Mutations happen all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lloydrm View Post
    Pangolin has been discarded from the chain. The origin is still unknown.
    Not that long ago it came from camels. Not eating them, nothing weird other than veingnin contact. Mutations happen all the time.
    I`m guessing the greater Pangolin community is glad to be removed from possible scapegoating

And that veingnin contact is always bad news.

Post Thanks / Like

"OK" on any debunking regarding eating/exposure to Bats..(and apologies if a casual comment was taken in a way I didn`t intend).

Eh, IMO it doesn`t really matter whence it came, and I doubt ever really find out anyhow. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened...this is *exactly* what that Smithsonian article predicted, if not as high-fatality as it could`ve been.

(Cue up Blue Oyster Cult`s Godzilla: "History shows again and again how Nature points out the folly of men..")

And/but yeah, any scapegoating is just counterproductive at this point. The whole "Chinese Flu" thing sure does stick in my craw as I see the big problem as being people who didn`t..and apparently still don`t..take this seriously. Trying to politicize a disease or to proscribe a timeline for "back to normal" are the last things we oughta expend resources on.

It`s still just *SO* early in this whole episode!

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator--sorry if I took a casual comment more seriously than I should have. We had 2,289 new cases and 32 new deaths today in NJ. I didn`t see today`s briefing, but a day or two ago I thought they said they thought we were 2 or 3 weeks away from the peak...OMG...2,289 x exponential growth x 2.5 weeks...what does that equal?

We also had an Amazon warehouse worker here in NJ test positive...so even though it`s pretty remote, there`s still that concern that things you order to avoid contacting the virus...are coming with the virus.

I guess I missed "that Smithsonian article" I`ll have to scan over the parts of this thread I missed. FWIW early on there was some talk of China cracking down on these "wet markets" (what a friend refers to them as, I really don`t know what the right term is). Well, I looked it up and found that they banned the sale of wild animals at those markets, apparently some disagreement as to whether wild animals were the problem in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- No worries Just a good note-to-self moment regarding casual comments on serious subjects.

And yeah...extend the timeline out to "realistic" and do the math and, well...gee.

Given the way so many people seem to have, like....ADD or something with regard to Attention Spans and mental focusing...I`m not looking forward to how the next few months might go.

Post Thanks / Like

New virus spreading across the world is definitely nothing new. The last hundred years. The biggest ones were H1N1, Russian flu, Hong Kong flu, asian flu, Spanish flu. Many more that didn`t spread so wildly. Covid19 isn`t the beginning and not the end of this kind of outbreak.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m wondering how many others here are the Designated Goer-and-doer.

My wife and I are utterly certain that I`m less likely to bring COVID-19 home than she is, so Yours Truly is the one leaving the property for everything except our Sunday Arby`s (she knows them and gets a discount ).

It`s actually a Feature for me as I can appreciate being out/about and always prefer being personally responsible for, well...most anything. But I can imagine others feeling very differently about it too. Although Sr. Hour at the local grocery is *hours* earlier than I usually get up, much less go anywhere except for Bfast (which is off the table for the time being..oops, pun ).
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    Covid19 isn`t the beginning and not the end of this kind of outbreak.
    Maybe it *can be* the end of people today being oblivious to such um, Basic existential stuff or thinking it won`t hit home for them in a way that matters. Not that Zika or the ones you mentioned seemed to make a long-term impression.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread Information