Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealing with the Corona Epidemic

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    It`s been an interesting time. I`ve been on the quiet side lately as I haven`t been able to pursue any personal detailing between winter (non-heated garage) and using what free time I have for home/family life. Being such a hobbyist at this, I don`t feel I can preach much if I`m not practicing myself.

Then Corona/Covid 19 comes in. I work at an independent auto repair shop. We`ve been feeling some hurt from an industry wide slow period (confirmed by our contacts at other shops/dealerships), and now everyone is hunkering down and sitting on their wallets (understandably!). This last week has been a big question mark as to what the future is here. Ultimately it`s been decided we`re laying off the other 2 techs for now, closing for a week, then reconvening to see how we proceed. Right now I`m anticipating a 35% pay cut, which I`m still trying to wrap my head around.

Britsdaddy - Thanks for sharing your side of this. I know it`s hard when all you hear is the ridicule for "why don`t you have this?!), but please know how much it means to people when you do have the things people need. When I went grocery shopping on Sunday (kind of a last pass fresh produce stock up; we do mainly fresh cooking) I was fully prepared for barren shelves and trying to come up with 2nd/3rd game plans.

I will confess I had a very emotional response when I walked in the doors and was greeted with full bins of produce - they had seen it coming and had bulked up what they could (I managed to keep it together, but it was a strangely powerful sight). At that moment, while the future is still unknown, there was a sense of relief that if people calm down we can hopefully get through this.

I`ve got a 5 year old daughter. When starting a family, you think through things like "What will it be like when she figures out boys?" or "Geez, I hope she likes me at least most of the time...". At no point did I ever think through the prospect of trying to figure out life through a global pandemic.

Last night putting her to bed, she mentioned she`d like to go to the zoo sometime. I said we`ll have to see. "Or maybe the aquarium. Not the one we went to for family birthday, the other one we`ve been to with the tubes you walk through." (Referring to the aquarium at the Mall of America, which the whole mall is currently closed). It`s hard trying to explain to a 5 year old that the mall is closed for now because of the sickness that`s going around while making it sound relatively normal so she doesn`t panic. "Do you think InnerActive (indoor play place we just had her birthday party at) is closed too?"

Yep kiddo, I think that`s closed too.

Sorry, just kinda brain dumping. It`s a crazy time right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes Scrapyard liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Brittsdaddy- I too sympathize with your plight, that`s gotta be tough dealing with all the [individuals] as well as the basic logistics of your situation.

Oneheadlite- That pay cut has gotta hurt, hope you and your family get through this OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    I work at an independent auto repair shop. We`ve been feeling some hurt from an industry wide slow period and now everyone is hunkering down and sitting on their wallets (understandably!). This last week has been a big question mark as to what the future is here.
    Time for guerilla marketing! Cars still break down, people still need to get`em fixed or walk.... a lot of people out in your back yard commute to the cities and have to have a working vehicle. Get a blinking sign saying you are open for business. Get the word out for free using Nextdoor, Facebook, Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist...yes, they charge now.... $5.00 for a 30 day ad!!!
    Make people WANT to use you! Excitement sells. People want to deal with happy people.... make sure your coworkers have their happy faces on for customers!!!

Turn lemons into lemonade.

Good Luck!
    JU

sign.jpg
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My place is shut down, guards got sent home today. Just us sanitizing the place, that crew got very small overnight. Gotta cover more ground now...sooo
    Made myself a little something to help

A 5 gallon bucket, put sanitizing cleaners in on top of work horse paper towels, cut a hole in the lid to pull the towels out and slam ! Industrial size sanitizing wipes .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I found some clorox wipes and lysol products on line and felt like i won the friggin lotto.

Work is furloughing some staff and tightening up belt soon. Gonna be a bumpy ride.

It’s crazy. Went to bass pro’s and Cabela’s were completely out of ammo. Unless you wanted 223’s or 308 Winchester you were pretty much SOL. All pump action 12 gauges gone and pretty much half their pistol stock.

Literally once you got your number/ticket 3-5 hours to talk to a counter guy. I saw people who literally had no business buying a weapon buying one out of fear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes The Driver liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post #34.
    Hello Boys -

Been on a autopia hiatus but figured I`d circle back to see where the fellow Autopian`s heads were at. On a different forum, the POV was the flu has killed more, blah, blah, whereas I seem to be in Lonnies camp. Prior to 7 days ago, I was already busying -accumulating- the essentials. Pantry, freezer, gatorade, the works ! Not enough to last me a year, but enough should one or 2 of us needed to be in quarantine. Quarantine would have changed the flow of the household quick. Lockdown wasn`t really on my immediate radar, but it was a blip. Fast forward today, looks like alot of lock down is happening. Not on my radar was some other items so I decided to trek off to Costco *knowing it would be bad, even on a weekday*. Aside from me trying to maintain distancing, the line to check out was a solid 30-40 minutes. This is JUST the tip of the iceberg IMO. Sure, I`m sure the supply chains are okay with essentials like food, TP, etc, but when one lives in a dense city like I am, things go out quick. I`m sure alot of is is due to panic buying, but even as such, those living in major cities, I hope you boys are stocked up. Since we`re in lock down, we`re burning up as much as we have -on hand- to some degree....

I`m keeping the freezers packed, and am now planning on once a week trips replenish the fridge portions. Keep it safe out there boys and please say thank you to the cashiers when you guys are checking out at the line !

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck man, I know for me I`m sticking to the suburbs and even here it`s definitely worsening by the day. I have my IPA, tons of gloves, steam an my few but good masks for detailing and Autobody.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t call it panic, but Friday, I filled up all 30 of my Scepter MFC`s....I`d rather have than have_not

Post Thanks / Like

I hope everybody here will remember that Panic is bad. Period. Never, ever, panic, not over anything. Yes indeed, easier said than done and another thing that usually requires a whole lotta work...before hand.

I`m glad my wife and I read that Smithsonian Magazine cover article "The Next Pandemic", it reminded us to keep well-stocked on the essentials..at all times. Actually, so far this isn`t nearly as bad as what the article was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack
    ..[places are].. completely out of ammo.
    All pump action 12 gauges gone and pretty much half their pistol stock.
    Oh boy...I can`t help but think "more inexperience people with new weapons they`re unfamiliar with." I`m 100% Pro-2nd Amendment, but using a firearm to defend yourself, for real IRL, isn`t something at which you instantly attain competence with by magic or through a few weekend classes, let alone by just buying the thing. Not even shotguns.
    Likes The Driver, Mary B, Coatings=crack, John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I wouldn`t call it panic, but Friday, I filled up all 30 of my Scepter MFC`s....I`d rather have than have_not
    Well, I wasn`t sure what a Scepter MFC was, since the discussion was about guns and ammo. Who has 30 guns of the same kind except a dealer or militia??!!
    Then I Googled it to find out it was a military-grade gas can.

My financial institution, a credit union, is limiting large cash withdrawals now. Apparently some depositors (members, as they are called at a CU) are closing their accounts and withdrawing their savings in cash, and the credit union simply does not have large cash amounts on hand to do so. They will accommodate large withdrawals IF you give them a week`s notice to bring in large amounts that they normally do not keep on hand. What would happen if those large withdrawals will only be done by issuing plastic pre-paid debit cards in 500 dollar maximum amounts??
    What is REALLY "odd" is that some places, like drive-up pharmacies, no longer accept cash or coins due the fact paper currency or coins are some of the most germ-contaminated items handled by society, so they will not handle it, for obvious reasons. It is plastic only, debit or credit.

Officials are trying to minimize the "fear-factor" out of this pandemic. Are they doing a good job, or is the media, both social and syndicated, undermining these efforts? What do you think??
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Theres a huge opportunity right now for those willing to risk getting the Chinese Flu by sanitizing any mode of commercial transportation that you can think of. Big companies are going to great lengths to keep their employees healthy during this uncertain time.
    I had a record breaking week and with God`s blessing see many more weeks of that ahead
    Likes The Driver, John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Officials are trying to minimize the "fear-factor" out of this pandemic. Are they doing a good job, or is the media, both social and syndicated, undermining these efforts? What do you think??
    I don`t think people are taking this seriously enough, this is a better-safe-than-sorry situation. I think it`s exacerbated by the long (up to 14 day) incubation time which means a LOT of people can get infected before you realize it`s happening, which I think we`re seeing the result of with these big spikes.

After 9/11 there was a quick effort to block access to reservoirs here in the NYC area, because there was fear that a further terrorist attack could poison water supplies and/or disrupt the supply of water (if it got poisoned and had to be shut down). In the end that was a baseless fear, but...better safe than sorry. Since the membership here is 99% men, we should be more worried, because our state health director here reported that men in all age groups are dying at twice the rate of women (unless I`m mixed up and that was at the President`s briefing that was reported).

So I guess I think people shouldn`t be fearful, but they should be worried, and they should conduct themselves like everyone they interact with could be infected...because they could be. We know that when people are in close proximity everybody gets it (cruise ships, nursing homes). The death toll in Italy today surpassed China...and China has 20 times as many people as Italy.

PS I saw a health reporter pointing out that China, after the SARS epidemic, had built special facilities ("fever clinics") for handling another outbreak like that one (which this is), so they were well prepared and still had a huge problem...we have no such facilities.

PPS If you guys want to see a good movie that might change your perspective a bit, try "Contagion" with Matt Damon, made 2013 I think. I think the story was kind of modeled on the SARS outbreak. It`s a little freaky when what just seems to be a good Hollywood story starts to look an awful lot like real life, kind of like China Syndrome (never mind for you kids). Or maybe that the series "24" came on the air like a month after 9/11.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, since I`ll be washing my cars way more often. I`m ordering a ton of new soaps for the new foam canon/gun I picked up (MTM SGS28, 20 ext and MTM PF22.2).
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Likes Mary B, John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Went to Walmart, zero bottled bottle water except 1 liter fancy spring water and the 1 liter Alkaline ones. No eggs, meat had a few packs of fish, some Tripe and a bunch of Beyond Meat. I guess not even panicking people want to eat fake meat lol. I read an interview with a manager of a Target, he said something I didn`t even consider. Even if this blew over today, with stores as bare as they are. it would take like a month of full time stocking just to get the shelves back to normal. Walmart had 3 kinds of cereal, and half the isles were empty or 95% picked over. I found a pack of Lousiane Hot Links, never had the brand and it was only a 4 pack but I was beyond ecstatic. Of course they didn`t have buns, and the bread was 99% gone. But they had store brand Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. 3 of em attached and split make an awesome hot dog bug. Overall I felt like I won a $1,000 a quarter Super Bowl Pool. lol

All the stores out here have been limiting 1 of mostly everything for a week now. But it doesn`t seem to be doing anything yet. Oddly, well to me any ways there was a decent amount of Soda, I figured that would be gone.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not far from quebert but it got bad here fast. I went shopping with my brother and dad a week before all of this really took off and we stocked up on some things. No hoarding. But I am glad we got what we got because when I went with them the other day just to buy basic supplies and the shelves were pretty empty. We do not even bother going to costco anymore. Its a mad house.

We actually have a little Mexican meat market near us and they have enough fresh meat (beef, chicken) and they also had eggs.

The traffic hear has been so light. It takes me 10 minutes to get to work on the days I do have to go in and that is one thing I am not complaining about.

We have TP so we are good lol.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread Information