Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealing with the Corona Epidemic

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    Most people in my town just kind of have been shrugging this off, but 2 days ago the city announced schools would be closed for uh, 3 weeks? And The news said Disneyland was closed to the public and everyone panicked. And it was like a hoard of Locusts hit the stores. I expected the TP and water to be gone. NO bread, NO pasta, NO Top Ramen. Milk`s limited to 1 gallon per person. Because what`s better to hoard than a substance that has a relatively short shelf life lol. I saw no eggs, only a few scattered packages of tortillas. I wanted a cheap box of Kraft Mac & Cheese. That entire isle was bone dry.

In my 45 years I`ve never seen anything like it. I legit need TP, not to hoard, but to wipe my a**. I went to 5 stores and called 4 more. There is no TP in my city, like huuuh? The store up the street`s getting a shipment Monday, so I guess I gotta camp outside the store until the truck comes so I can wipe my damn butt. Even with limiting the TP to 3 per person. I have a feeling it`ll be gone in 30 minutes. People are literally losing their damn minds.

I think what you said about 3rd world countries not reacting like this is due to them having dealt with this, or worse plenty in their life. For the people in the US this is new, so all these fools are panicking and overreacting 10x. In a country where it`s maybe routine to not have access to sh*t on a normal day. I don`t think the Corona Virus will change how they are.

Since the store was out of Kraft I wanted to buy milk and make some from scratch. All they had was FAT FREE MILK

#1stworldproblems.

I`m not making light of Corona, it`s serious. But it`s funny and sad how just a few days ago the same people who were around me going "oh this isn`t as serious as the media says" are now in survival mode ready to fight over a bag of dry beans and some rice lol. Somebody got stabbed at a Winco by me over TP or food or something. American`s definitely are not equipped to deal with sh*t like this.
    Quebert --
    I hope and pray that you and yours will be ok through this stuff..

My Sis in Texas said it is about the same there also.. Well, perhaps worse?

The only grocery chain in Texas is HEB, been there for decades..

My sister in law went to the local HEB on Saturday at the 0700 opening, and it was already crowded outside, had to wait in line to get into the huge store.

When she got in, there were Policemen standing in every aisle, to make sure things stayed normal I guess...

She wanted to pick up some meat products to freeze and there were none.. And hardly anything else in the store..

All she was able to purchase was some Bleach, and Distilled White Vinegar.. Wow...

I have in the past, shopped many times at that store for my Dear Mother, before she passed away.. It is easily as big as a big Costco, and they never have inventory shortages..
    But they do now..

But she also said that many people are buying massive amounts of things and then SELLING them on Amazon, etc., for huge more money!! THAT is just the worst example of greed I have ever heard in a long time..

To take advantage of a nationwide problem and try to extort needed items to probably the people who can least afford them, is just the lowest I can ever imagine, that humankind has gone this low lately..

And then on the news tonight, they found large amount of FAKE Covid-19 Test Kits coming into the US.... How much more deliberately evil people doing evil things do we all now have to plan for ???
    I never, ever, thought I would live to see this kind of just sick behavior vying to be the new normal..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

quebert, I would bet there`s a little rural store in Lake Arrowhead (or somewhere similar) that has TP.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it was just a matter of time before before some Autopian started a thread on this subject. I started one on March 05 after the market crash of the last week in February, then cancelled it due to the sensitive nature of the subject and my own opinions and predictions of events that may or may not happen. In hindsight, the events that have and are happening are FAR beyond anything I could imagine or conceive, at least in this country of the United States of America. This is most apparent when I went grocery shopping on Thursday and Friday , March 12th and 13th. As many of you have stated, the panic buying going on by the American public is unprecedented nationwide. I am not talking about toilet paper or anti-bacterial soap or cleaning products, but just basic staples of food. Empty shelves of canned goods, meat cases, no rice/flour/sugar, no eggs, even potatoes and vegetables. NEVER in my lifetime have I seen such buying and "fear" in people`s faces. At least I have seen some social courtesy because it is a common crisis and I live in the Midwest where that is a hallmark of the people who live here, but that may be short-lived if things get worse. It is true we are in uncharted territory.

Back to detailing, I do have some questions for those of you who are professionals or hobbyist who do a lot of detailing.
    1) Have you experienced shortages of detailing products or supplies, like car-care chemicals or microfibers? (Witness the shut-down of Tac Systems).
    2) Have you been asked to "deep clean" vehicles and if so, how would you go about doing it OR are you refusing such requests?
    I do see some of you mentioning ozone generators for such purposes and anti-bacterial car-car products.
    I ask because I do not think cleaning such COVID-19-infected vehicles is the same as cleaning up a soccer-mom`s SUV or van where the kids threw-up/puked in or a flood damaged vehicle. Just wondering what you would do and if you have the proper personal protective equipment (PPE), like HAZMAT suits or masks to do so or is that even such a concern.
    GB detailer
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B, Scrapyard liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Well, it was just a matter of time before before some Autopian started a thread on this subject. I started one on March 05 after the market crash of the last week in February, then cancelled it due to the sensitive nature of the subject and my own opinions and predictions of events that may or may not happen. In hindsight, the events that have and are happening are FAR beyond anything I could imagine or conceive, at least in this country of the United States of America. This is most apparent when I went grocery shopping on Thursday and Friday , March 12th and 13th. As many of you have stated, the panic buying going on by the American public is unprecedented nationwide. I am not talking about toilet paper or anti-bacterial soap or cleaning products, but just basic staples of food. Empty shelves of canned goods, meat cases, no rice/flour/sugar, no eggs, even potatoes and vegetables. NEVER in my lifetime have I seen such buying and "fear" in people`s faces. At least I have seen some social courtesy because it is a common crisis and I live in the Midwest where that is a hallmark of the people who live here, but that may be short-lived if things get worse. It is true we are in uncharted territory.

Back to detailing, I do have some questions for those of you who are professionals or hobbyist who do a lot of detailing.
    1) Have you experienced shortages of detailing products or supplies, like car-care chemicals or microfibers? (Witness the shut-down of Tac Systems).
    2) Have you been asked to "deep clean" vehicles and if so, how would you go about doing it OR are you refusing such requests?
    I do see some of you mentioning ozone generators for such purposes and anti-bacterial car-car products.
    I ask because I do not think cleaning such COVID-19-infected vehicles is the same as cleaning up a soccer-mom`s SUV or van where the kids threw-up/puked in or a flood damaged vehicle. Just wondering what you would do and if you have the proper personal protective equipment (PPE), like HAZMAT suits or masks to do so or is that even such a concern.
    Hello, Lonnie ! I hope and pray that you guys area all good up there !

1. I see no shortages because I have purposely purchased much product before, in anticipation of shortages, etc..
    2. I "deep clean" every vehicle with my Steamer, the triangular brush head with a clean, white towel wrapped tightly around the bristles.. Spray the best cleaner for the surface, let it get friendly there for a few seconds, hit it with the attachment, press the steam on and carefully, go over that section, so that I do not hurt it with too much high temp steam..
    Remove the now brown white towel, replace with new, and repeat the process..

This process also does amazingly well on Seat Belts ! I never knew so much stuff could be held in them, until I sprayed cleaner, let it soak for a bit, then steamed as above, both directions.. Huge amount of brown body oil, etc., came off on my white towels.. Of course, the first few feet of the belt was always the worst..

Everyone around here is hunkered down, not many are out and about.. I think in a few weeks, like in April, if things do not get much, much, worse, people might be going out more and that will always be good for all businesses..
    Dan F
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You`ve supposedly gotta be a little careful about how aggressively you clean seatbelts, not that I`ve ever let that hold me back. Also supposed to replace them at the first sign of wear, but uhm..."what, me worry?" comes to mind (Gee, I hope that reference resonates!)

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post

The only grocery chain in Texas is HEB, been there for decades.. Very powerful - enough that other grocery chains cannot succeed in that state.

Dan F
    LMAO. This statement is patently untrue, well it is true that they have been around for decades. Not only is HEB not the only grocery chain operating in the state of Texas, it isn`t even the first or second largest. How could one even think that a state as large a Texas could only support one grocery chain?
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    LMAO. This statement is patently untrue, well it is true that they have been around for decades. Not only is HEB not the only grocery chain operating in the state of Texas, it isn`t even the first or second largest. How could one even think that a state as large a Texas could only support one grocery chain?
    LMAO back at ya !

Sorry for the inaccurate information.. It has been awhile since I last lived there.. I was born and raised there, until the 2 wars of 1967 on, took me out of Texas. Back then, in the places we lived, HEB was the only store in town..

HEB is 115 years old. They have 400 stores, in Texas and Mexico, and I believe some other stores, called Mi Tienda or something like that..

I read that Whole Foods and Albertsons stores are also down there somewhere now, and even Trader Joe`s.. This is all good..

Are you going to be ok now, Sonny boy ???
    DanF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Quebert --
    I hope and pray that you and yours will be ok through this stuff..

My Sis in Texas said it is about the same there also.. Well, perhaps worse?

The only grocery chain in Texas is HEB, been there for decades..

My sister in law went to the local HEB on Saturday at the 0700 opening, and it was already crowded outside, had to wait in line to get into the huge store.

When she got in, there were Policemen standing in every aisle, to make sure things stayed normal I guess...

She wanted to pick up some meat products to freeze and there were none.. And hardly anything else in the store..

All she was able to purchase was some Bleach, and Distilled White Vinegar.. Wow...

I have in the past, shopped many times at that store for my Dear Mother, before she passed away.. It is easily as big as a big Costco, and they never have inventory shortages..
    But they do now..

But she also said that many people are buying massive amounts of things and then SELLING them on Amazon, etc., for huge more money!! THAT is just the worst example of greed I have ever heard in a long time..

To take advantage of a nationwide problem and try to extort needed items to probably the people who can least afford them, is just the lowest I can ever imagine, that humankind has gone this low lately..

And then on the news tonight, they found large amount of FAKE Covid-19 Test Kits coming into the US.... How much more deliberately evil people doing evil things do we all now have to plan for ???
    I never, ever, thought I would live to see this kind of just sick behavior vying to be the new normal..

Dan F
    Sorry but HEB is not the only chain grocer in Texas, there is Kroger, Tom Thumb, Sprouts, and United Super Markets/Market Street, to name a few.......

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone

It`s just beginning to start here. Schools closing, some stores cutting hours. People are trying to follow the guidelines. Staying home and all.
    My work is open for now, thinking only a few essential bodies will be asked to stay.
    Last I checked 35 was the count.

My Gov. sounds like he`s on top of this..But we will see when it gets deep.

Getting SCARY !!

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Clean! Hey, great to see you posting!!

Mary B- Same here, and I`m happy to say that includes our Gov., with whom I`m surprisingly pleased in general. He and I are on the opposite sides of some fences, but he`s doing a great job including with this.

I do wish they hadn`t closed the Libraries, but OK...

My wife and I still plan to vote tomorrow, and go some other places too, though I`d put her in the at-risk demographic (utterly confident I wouldn`t have any big issues even if I did catch it, even though I`m 60). In our view, this isn`t some Plague from the Middle Ages that`s gonna literally decimate the population through inscrutable means of transmission. We understand that it`s a virus, and the mortality rate just isn`t in that kill-everyone range; it seems relatively confined to a certain demographic. Seems like another case of people not taking something seriously until they about-face and go off the deep end.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it me, or does there seem to be less "chatter" on this forum and interest in detailing in this forum.
    Given the fact that some Autopians may be working from home and that requires more time or are now full-time parenting 24/7 with the school-aged children home or just trying to procure (AKA, buy) living necessities that are in short or non-existent supply (like toilet paper or anti-bacterial soap or wet-wipes or some foods), it may be that the time-restraints are not conducive to participating in this forum OR they are just too busy on "other" social media platforms.

Given that there are more restraints on public gatherings and the cancelling of almost all sporting, musical, and theatrical events, it would seem that we should have a little more time for "other" things.
    That is one of my questions during this unprecedented pandemic event: What are you doing now?
    Myself, I am in TOTAL mourning for basketball`s March Madness, especially at the High School level. These young people will never get this time back in their life nor will High School Sport Associations allow more eligibility. No "15 minutes of fame"; no "off-the-bench hero"; no "last-second game-winning shot"; no "small-town Cinderella-team story or championship" that these young people would have remembered for the rest of their lives.

I certainly do not enjoy watching the news nor following the economic news that has all but ruined my now poorly planned retirement account, at least according to my instincts and hindsight, even under the watchful eyes and advice of a long-time trusted financial planner. It is not their fault and we have ALL been blind-sided economically and socially by this event.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly do not enjoy watching the news nor following the economic news that has all but ruined my now poorly planned retirement account, at least according to my instincts and hindsight, even under the watchful eyes and advice of a long-time trusted financial planner. It is not their fault and we have ALL been blind-sided economically and socially by this event.
    Gee, remember when you could get a passbook savings account that paid 5% interest? That kind of thing looks pretty good right now for a retirement account, eh?
    Likes Mary B, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is it me, or does there seem to be less "chatter" on this forum and interest in detailing in this forum.
    Given the fact that some Autopians may be working from home and that requires more time or are now full-time parenting 24/7 with the school-aged children home or just trying to procure (AKA, buy) living necessities that are in short or non-existent supply (like toilet paper or anti-bacterial soap or wet-wipes or some foods), it may be that the time-restraints are not conducive to participating in this forum OR they are just too busy on "other" social media platforms.

Given that there are more restraints on public gatherings and the cancelling of almost all sporting, musical, and theatrical events, it would seem that we should have a little more time for "other" things.
    That is one of my questions during this unprecedented pandemic event: What are you doing now?
    Myself, I am in TOTAL mourning for basketball`s March Madness, especially at the High School level. These young people will never get this time back in their life nor will High School Sport Associations allow more eligibility. No "15 minutes of fame"; no "off-the-bench hero"; no "last-second game-winning shot"; no "small-town Cinderella-team story or championship" that these young people would have remembered for the rest of their lives.

I think there is a multitude of reasons why there hasn’t been as much chatter. At least for me, I have been vetting my sources of information relating to COVID-19 as they are not the mainstream media. Also have been focusing on university studies and getting myself prepared for future events, and as of recently I packed up my room at university and brought almost all of my belongings home because I am not sure if making it back to West Texas for online classes is even in the cards, luckily I can complete the classes at home in Dallas. University has extended my spring break by an additional week and has moved all classes to online format. Lot of things still up in the air, as I don’t even know if I’ll be legally allowed to drive to West Texas, from Dallas, in the event that quarantine is exercised; although I probably wouldn’t as my immediate family is only my mother, we stick together. Unfortunately, I believe quarantine will be exercised, soon, as the number of new US cases reported daily, went exponential in growth a few days ago. It is a reality I am physically ready for, but not mentally. Though I like my alone time, I quite enjoy my time around friends as they are my family, and I quite enjoy getting out of the house, too. The next six months to one year will be quite interesting, that’s for sure. As I feel my sources of information are credible, I’ll share them tomorrow.
    Likes Mary B, Oneheadlite liked this post

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    My wife and I still plan to vote tomorrow, and go some other places too, though I`d put her in the at-risk demographic (utterly confident I wouldn`t have any big issues even if I did catch it, even though I`m 60). In our view, this isn`t some Plague from the Middle Ages that`s gonna literally decimate the population through inscrutable means of transmission. We understand that it`s a virus, and the mortality rate just isn`t in that kill-everyone range; it seems relatively confined to a certain demographic. Seems like another case of people not taking something seriously until they about-face and go off the deep end.
    Am I seeing that voting was cancelled/delayed for your state? We had announcements yesterday that were a mixed bag, differing somewhat between cities and county. In some cities, dine-in is not allowed, while a neighboring city allows dine-in, but a 1/2 the posted occupancy (including staff). Similar rules for bars and gyms. Public gatherings are limited to 50. Our local school district has closed until April. Strange times we are living in.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread Information