Post Thanks / Like

Best portable shop vac now-days?

I`ve always just had the Craftsman type portable 5.0hp vacs with wheels for less than $100. I`m needing to get a new one and just wondered what everyone is using. I`m not opposed to paying more if better units are available out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best portable shop vac now-days?

Absolutely love my McKees shop vac. Id link to it if I could but its no longer allowed per forum rules. I`ve had it since back in the DP days (before they became McKees 37). Its been a workhorse, haven`t had any issues with it.

It`s 8 gallon and super powerful. 185 CFM and 90" of sealed pressure which is HUGE for a shop vac. Don`t be fooled by the 2.5HP rating (worthless number to rate a shop vac with). Its a 2 stage motor so its powerful and most importantly very quiet.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my little stinger vacuum. I just got tired of moving my big shop vac around and spent 30$ on it. I wouldn`t trust it to tackle a huge job or extract with it, but for a quick vacuum on my trucks, I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the budget and want the best - I`ve found the Numatic products to be superlative for detailing. In particular, the "George" is basically made for car detailing and includes the ability to do wet extraction. Its not cheap, but I`ve used pretty much all of the options available out there, and its the best.
    Likes jtford95 liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

My best choice and still working flawlessly for over 15 years is the Metrovac brand, made in New York.. Their customer service is incredible as well.. I have only called them to ask them questions about things, and never needed 1 repair on this unit..

Mine is an older model that came with a really long, cloth bag that is so easy to remove and empty out. It is also so very handy to be able to retrieve all those little things under the seats that it picks up and holds in the cloth bag so you can give them back to the Client.. I get a lot of coins , etc....

Here is a link from the Autopia Store to one like mine -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/metr...l#.XkrL7jKQH3g
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post

Here is a link from the Autopia Store to one like mine -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/metr...l#.XkrL7jKQH3g
    Dan F
    I have that one too. I added 2 lengths of additional hose so I can reach the cars in the driveway with the vac mounted on the wall...... unfortunately all that hose lowers the "suck". I`ve taped the joints but the suck is compromised. My bad!

The photo is sideways until you double click it. I have it mounted over my MasterBlaster.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I had a metro vac (the smaller model) and ended up selling it. Lots of sealed pressure but I felt like the cfm was way too low for my liking. I also found the hose to be a little too small. If you`re getting those soccer mom vans and kid haulers, full of all kinds of garbage, the hose clogs often. Also wasn`t a fan of the super low capacity.

Not to say it`s a bad vacuum. It was whisper quiet and doubled as a really good blower. Just didn`t work for me. Depending on your specific needs, it may work exceptionally well for you. If I was doing more maintenance/fairly clean cars on a daily basis, I probably would of kept the one I had.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    I had a metro vac (the smaller model) and ended up selling it. Lots of sealed pressure but I felt like the cfm was way too low for my liking. I also found the hose to be a little too small. If you`re getting those soccer mom vans and kid haulers, full of all kinds of garbage, the hose clogs often. Also wasn`t a fan of the super low capacity.

Not to say it`s a bad vacuum. It was whisper quiet and doubled as a really good blower. Just didn`t work for me. Depending on your specific needs, it may work exceptionally well for you. If I was doing more maintenance/fairly clean cars on a daily basis, I probably would of kept the one I had.

I agree. I still have one but it has been relegated to basement duty. It worked well as my garage vac for years, but changing to a Vacumaid Garage Vac was a significant upgrade in CFM. The Numatic is every bit the equal (if not slightly stronger, and certainly quieter) and also has a bag and real filtration for dry use. It never ceases to amaze me when neat freak detailers like use use prehistorically filthy bagless shop vacs!

the extraction capability of the Numatic George is a game changer in my opinion, because it works ALMOST as well as a mytee/dedicated extractor (and works the same if you put hot water in it), but in the same unit you get a sealed dry vac, and a wet vac, and it is quiet, powerful, and portable.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I tell all my Clients that when I am finished with their Interior, there will be no dirt in their vehicle..

My old Metrovac has never had an issue with suction. It has that multi-stage motor so it increases suction as needed..
    I never have an issue picking up anything with it, including heavier things like coins under seats, etc..

I never have had anything clog the hose.. The hose extensions are short so it is easy to configure it for that place Im using it in..
    It is low to the ground and it wheels very easily around a vehicle, etc., as needed..

Have seen everything in all size vehicles, including one suv that have 5 dogs living in it for over a year..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Vac master beast series is cheaper and has more power IMO same size as rigid one.
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

X2 for the Vacmaster Beast.
    I have the 5 gallon version, to which I adapted the Rigid Auto Detailing kit and I`m very well pleased. When I was searching for one, I researched the specs of every vac I could find and this one had the best numbers of all but the ones that were twice as expensive.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

What do you guys suggest for a home gamer not doing it for a living just taking care of my truck and wife`s car? I like to buy quality and cry once!!
    Are these wall mounted units strong enough or do you lose to much suction thru the long hose?

Thread Information