Post Thanks / Like

? for Metro Vac-N-Blo owners

I think I`ve always noticed this to a point, but not to this level. The last few times I used it (10`ish straight minutes) when I turned it off the power switch was so hot it caused me to jerk my hand away. Is this normal? I don`t want my baby to be dying I love this thing I thought it use get pretty warm, but now I really can`t even touch it unless it`s an instant flick.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ? for Metro Vac-N-Blo owners

Mine does not get that hot even after extended use. Please be careful! Get it checked out.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    I think I`ve always noticed this to a point, but not to this level. The last few times I used it (10`ish straight minutes) when I turned it off the power switch was so hot it caused me to jerk my hand away. Is this normal? I don`t want my baby to be dying I love this thing I thought it use get pretty warm, but now I really can`t even touch it unless it`s an instant flick.
    I have an older largest Metrovac canister (Model VNB-73) that has a long, cloth, filter bag, a long cord, for 15 years, and it has never gotten hot at the power switch.. I have run mine for even 30 minutes straight, when cleaning those big, dirty, SUV`s.. It never heats up so much that I cannot touch the On/Off toggle switch..

You definitely have a problem..

Have you changed the filter/filter bag?? Is there any junk at the end of the canister that is plugging up that round, foam filter? This canister has to have airflow all the way through the canister to help cool the motor..

What is the condition of the cord? The power plug ?

Is it running up from the normal speed, and staying on the highest speed the entire time you are using it? I refer to the speed it will go if you for example, put your hand over the nozzle when it is running and you shut off the air flow?

Are you running a long extension cord on it, and if so, what is the wire gauge of your extension cord ?

I would be worried that your machine will catch on fire. The switch is wired to the motor.. If the wires are getting so hot that they heat up the switch, for example, this will eventually cause the wires to catch on fire..

See if your model number has carbon brushes, and then see if you need to replace them -- https://metrovac.com/collections/carbon-brushes
    These are the nicest people at Metrovac.. Perhaps call them TOLL FREE PHONE: 800.822.1602

Please advise, after you check these things out, ok ?

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Another Metro Vac owner that never had an issue like that. And I often run it for 30 minutes or more at a time.

AFter reading the `Shop Vac hose upgrade question` thread, I am wondering if you are using an extension cord? Using an undersized (length and gauge) can cause heating issues.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mine gets warm (even with a 20-30 min use) not hot.

Sounds like your motor may be working too hard, as in what was posted earlier. The filter bag is full, check the little foam pad below that just before the motor too. Then just blow out the motor area too with some compressed air
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    I am wondering if you are using an extension cord? Using an undersized (length and gauge) can cause heating issues.
    That`s exactly what I was thinking, not that I know from MetroVacs...
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone who replied, I re-read my post and I wrote it very poorly. I know it`s not normal, I should have asked if anyone else has had this happen. I`m using a 14g extension cord, I think it`s pretty long too, like 30 feet. I didn`t even think about that could be the source of the problem. I`ll go find a 12g one and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    ..I`ll go find a 12g one and see what happens.
    Or just plug it in directly, turn it on, and let it run for a while and see if it still gets hot.

I`d be taking the extension cord out of the equation as a first step.
    Likes dcjredline, rlmccarty2000, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

FOR SURE the extension cord. That is no where near enough cord for a 30` run to that vac.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    ..[remember to]... check the little foam pad below that just before the motor too. Then just blow out the motor area too with some compressed air
    Hey, that`s good advice for anybody who doesn`t do it regularly. I`m always amazed by how dirty the innards of my vacuums get (no, they`re not really good, "modern", ones that`d presumably be better in this regard).

I somehow suspect that the Metros are pretty easy to service, they just have that "made by people who get it" vibe, like...some thought probably went into how somebody would dis/re-assemble them. That`s sure not the case with every household vacuum I`ve cleaned out!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    FOR SURE the extension cord. That is no where near enough cord for a 30` run to that vac.
    Was partially the cord, but when I hooked directly to the outlet after 15 minutes I touched it I could still feel it was semi warm instantly. Held my fingers there for about 15 seconds and it was borderline uncomfortable. To answer what was asked, the bag`s clean, I took out the foam and cleaned it, and the cord looks normal.

I should find a shop and get it looked at.

Thread Information