Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Shop Vac hose upgrade question.

I have a Shop Vac 4.5 HP, 14 gallons tank. I want to use a larger diameter hose. I have the 1 1/4 hose now.

Will I see any increase or decrease in suction, using a larger diameter hose?

Using a larger diameter hose, does the hose cumbersome, awkward while vacuuming?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shop Vac hose upgrade question.

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    I have a Shop Vac 4.5 HP, 14 gallons tank. I want to use a larger diameter hose. I have the 1 1/4 hose now.

Will I see any increase or decrease in suction, using a larger diameter hose?

Using a larger diameter hose, does the hose cumbersome, awkward while vacuuming?
    I don’t know exactly how the Shop Vac brand is built, but if it is anything like the Ridgid Vac’s, you should experience a significant suction improvement when switching over to a 2-1/2 inch hose. A standard 7 foot hose isn’t too cumbersome, anything hose length over 7 feet does get a bit cumbersome when getting situated, but the added performance is entirely worth it. Honestly, I will not use one of these types of vacuums without a 2-1/2 inch diameter hose, because the smaller diameter hoses just kill the performance of the machine. In regards to length, around 14 feet is the sweet spot for me. It is long enough so I can keep the vacuum away from the vehicle when it is being used and short enough that storage is livable.
    Thanks carnage thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just FWIW, I tend to go the other way, using smaller-diameter hoses for most everything Detailing related. [Heck], I do 99% of my Detailing related vacuuming with an old household canister vac, and my Big Challenges are related to the dogs and hauling landscape supplies.

The ShopVacs just sit there unused for the most part, but when I do use one I *do* find the larger diameter hoses cumbersome and only use them for stuff unrelated to the vehicles. For non-Detailing tasks, the larger hoses can indeed be much better, but for the vehicles? Nah, not for me.
    Likes Stokdgs, bad penny liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A larger hose will increase the volume of air, but at the expense of suction power.
    For example, I have a 5.5 hp Vacmaster Beast which is available in two sizes. The 5 gallon version with a 1 7/8" hose specs at 102 CFM and 82.6" waterlift.
    The same vac in a 12 gallon size has a 2 1/2" hose and specs at 143 CFM and 60" waterlift.
    Imagine you had a standard size and a 1/2" diameter soda straw. You could move more soda with the big straw, but with much less suction power.
    I adapted my Vacmaster to a HD 1 1/4" detailer`s kit hose, since I valued the suction more than the volume of air.

Bill

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have this 15-year old Metrovac -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/metr...l#.XiyyKDKQH3g

It uses the 1-1/4" hose, and of course a big 4hp motor.. This vacuum has 95 inches of water lift with the 1-1/4" standard hose..

I have never had an issue with it not picking up anything.. It absolutely pulls everything up and out..

The 1-1/4" hose is very flexible, and much more easy for me, to get ALL the dirt out of a vehicle..

And with the different adapters that attach to the end of this hose, I can always get everything from between the seats and the console, everything under the seats, and in the trunk, wells, etc., much faster and easier than dealing with a bigger hose..

They also sell these metrovac hose extensions I believe in 3 ft lengths, which is also very handy if you eventually wear one out or want to modify what you have.. https://www.autopia-carcare.com/metr...l#.Xi5YPTKQH3g

Dan F
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stokdgs, carnage thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great Find !!!

I have purchased this kit before to get the 2 great, triangular vacuum brushes and the long thin crevice tool.. I never use the hose because the metrovac hoses are so much better and easy to use..
    Since then, I have found my way to better, longer, thinner, crevice tools and other things..
    Dan F
    Likes bad penny liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Since I will lose suction with a larger diameter hose. If I stick with the 1 1/4 in hose but go slightly longer. Will I gain or lose any suction?

I have now the factory Shop Vac 1 1/4 diameter, supposedly 7 ft long hose. Doesn`t seem like 7 ft.

I`m going to call Ridgid to see if those triangle brushes are sold separately.

Post Thanks / Like

I have that Rigid kit, buying it 2 years ago on a Black Friday deal for $19.99. With a little bit of sanding, it replaced the 1 7/8" hose on my Vacmaster Beast. If you`re buying separate pieces, buy the white-bristle brush, not the black bristle one. The black one has firmer bristles, but too much space between the bristles, so the suction is reduced.

Bill
    Thanks Stokdgs, carnage thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    Since I will lose suction with a larger diameter hose. If I stick with the 1 1/4 in hose but go slightly longer. Will I gain or lose any suction?
    Asking the vacuum to suck stuff through a longer hose is asking it to do more work. Whether you`ll actually notice any functional diff with the 1.5" hose, eh...I don`t know. I do know that I can overdo it if I concatenate too many of the 2.5" sections on my shopvacs, but I`ve never had it be an issue with the 1.5" hoses I`ve used and I`d lean towards optimism.

I`m going to call Ridgid to see if those triangle brushes are sold separately.
    Also check ebay. I find/buy the little Bissell Upholstery Nozzles (that I *LOVE* on my extractors) there,. and really cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
    I have that Rigid kit, buying it 2 years ago on a Black Friday deal for $19.99. With a little bit of sanding, it replaced the 1 7/8" hose on my Vacmaster Beast. If you`re buying separate pieces, buy the white-bristle brush, not the black bristle one. The black one has firmer bristles, but too much space between the bristles, so the suction is reduced.

Bill
    The Deal of the Century !!!
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Man, all of you guys and your 1-1/4 inch vacuum hoses have taught me something new. Thanks for challenging my point of view. I may look into a 1-1/4 inch in the future.
    Likes carnage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever hose you get make sure it`s not the accordion style or your vacuum will be attacking your legs/beating on the side of vehicle while in use.

Post Thanks / Like

TheMeanGreen- Yeah, the only times I use the bigger hoses are when I`m worried about clogging up the smaller ones. I guess that`s a big part of why I have all these shopvacs that just sit here unused most of the time, only have one that gets used regularly and it sucks up leaves/etc. that`d clog smaller hoses.

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    Whatever hose you get make sure it`s not the accordion style or your vacuum will be attacking your legs/beating on the side of vehicle while in use.
    "Accordion style"? School me please...all mine are like that, aren`t they? Eh, what`m I missing here?!?

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE that Rigid hose kit, I also love that HD has a good selection of hose adapters and attachment tools you can buy individually for cheap. They have a good selection and have most of them in both hose sizes too which is nice. Sucks they don`t sell the 2 triangle tools that come with the car kit, well at least the 2 HD`s by me. I lost mine and want to replace them but don`t need a whole kit. This is one I bought there and have used a lot, the LED can actually be pretty useful. It was around $8. I use the hose on my Metro Vac & Blo.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-2...2539/304753788
    Shop Vac hose upgrade question.-ridgid-vacuum-vt1739-64_1000.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information