Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shop Vac hose upgrade question.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    And some Mindful Living seminars
    I can see the meter readers having issues in the summer. The 100 degree weather does take a toll on people. I`ll see them in the park sitting under a tree sometimes.

Gee, I don`t know! With four in there I can wash/etc. without overspray getting on the others, but when I had more it was a PIA. Fortunately we have the original garage (built into the house) that can hold two or three.
    At least you have enough room for your whole collection of stuff.

You have more than enough room for a detailing business plus future upgrade, if any.

But yeah, it`s rather spacious. Eh, my wife and I sorta went nuts with the whole "build the Big House with the Big Garage"
    My father did the same with a big house. That was a decision he regretting. With cleaning, maintenance, repairs, he eventually sold it for a house.

Since (IME) nobody IRL cares about such stuff I guess it makes sense for dealerships to prioritize other stuff.
    The department that bring in the most sales get the bigger space.

I was told the Toyota service started with 6 bays. When I left there was 12 bays and planning on adding 4 more. The last time I went to Toyota the detailing bays were no longer in the same area.

Huh! Guess it *is* the [crappy] asphalt as I`ve never had problems with using (the right kind of) plywood.
    Unfortunately this asphalt is the only asphalt available in this area. Whatever tires that can`t be sold to different countries get recycle in the asphalt mix. Glass get thrown into the mix.

A lot of Home Depot wood is crappy. Especially when It left outside.

Man, I`d love to have more dealerships like that in my area! I honestly believe that most (smart) women just *process* differently from men, and usually better. The best dealership Departments (of all kinds) I`ve ever dealt with were generally run by women. My boss back when I was in New Car Prep was a gal, and she was great.
    It was their workers who got them where they are now, and they haven`t forgot that.

Since they pay good their price are higher than average for parts, service, sales.

Female bosses does treat their employees better.

Ah, thanks for nudging me to look into that, sounds like it might be well worth the trouble after all! See why I like the way this thread keeps going?!?
    If Swan agrees with the warranty you`ll will have a brand new hose. The new hose will have the remaining warranty of the original purchase hose.

Heh heh, that`s quite a broad range! The seemingly minor diffs are really significant at the higher pressures, at least IME. Like...from 80 to low-90s is a dramatic diff.
    It varies on how far someone live from the water plant, how high the city set the water pressure, needs and demand.

If I call the water department they may set it higher if I complain or told them I`m doing a water irrigation system.

NO. I did, but they drove me nuts by putting holds/must-verify/etc. on the wrong cards at the wrong moments. I do better just keeping a near-daily eye on the two cards I have (one of which basically never gets used). Whenever I`ve had a hack/etc. they (Chase) has been great about it, no hassles at all other than getting the new card number memorized and notifying the very few who have it on file.
    My sister has the alerts on her cards. It`s mostly on Amazon where someone steal her card number.

Once she had credit card number on someone else Amazon account. With the alerts it stop that fraud.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    I seen videos of people using clothes to remove stains and dry the headliners. Will the mechanical action of rubbing the headliner detach the headliner cloth material?
    Whether you can get away with that will depend on 1) the headliner (just can`t generalize too much..) and 2) how hard you scrub. Headliners are simply unpredictable with regard to how fragile they are. I`d rather have some stains than risk having to replace one, but that`s just me.

I have light gray carpets. I thinking of pre-spotting the carpets first with cleaners. I was thinking Meguiars D101 but it not low foaming..Worst case scenario the Weather Tech cover the stain, somewhat.
    No, the *worst* case would be having to live with light gray carpeting that`s as bad as in my Tahoe! I`d try to do *something* about the worst stains sooner rather than later. I have no idea whether D101 would be a good choice...never used it. I`d be using a dedicated carpet stain remover, like from ChemSpec or something like that.

..I can`t get used to 2 hands typing. It takes me longer to type...
    I really can`t imagine going through life with hunt-and-peck typing. Some time spent learning touch typing (even if you do an unconventional version of it) would *REALLY* be time well-spent in the long run. (I got that lecture from my mother back in grade school; she was a typing instructor as part of her career.)

Plus I do other things that I have to step away from the computer...
    Understood, same situation here.
    Thanks carnage thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=carnage;2171145]I can see the meter readers having issues in the summer. The 100 degree weather does take a toll on people. I`ll see them in the park sitting under a tree sometimes.

All our utility meters are the "smart" kind, that transmit the info, no more meter-reading. That`d be great in your area!

At least you have enough room for your whole collection of stuff...
    Heh heh, you`d sure think so! But I`m thinning the accumulation, seems like no matter how big the garage/house/anything it gets filled up with [crap]...trying to fix that.
    any.
    You have more than enough room for a detailing business plus future upgrade, if any..
    Noting that I`d rather die than do something like Detailing all the time ...nah, not as much room as you`d think! When I had more cars it was a nightmare. I like lots of elbow room anyhow..guess I`m spoiled by the much larger facilities I had as a kid, still think those were normal.

My father did the same with a big house. That was a decision he regretting. With cleaning, maintenance, repairs, he eventually sold it for a ..[smaller]..house.
    I could imagine downsizing, but it`d mean just giving up the Detailing and that`d mean having different (much newer) vehicles, which we wouldn`t like one bit.

[quoteThe department that bring in the most sales get the bigger space.
    That makes sense, and IMO nobody outside of Autopia really cares about this Detailing stuff anyhow. Friends of ours buy six-figure vehicles that are in worse cosmetic shape than I`d *ever* be seen it, and think I`m nuts to notice all the flaws.

..Unfortunately this asphalt is the only asphalt available in this area...
    We`ve had concrete driveways at our houses, and at all the shops I`ve had since..forever.

..A lot of Home Depot wood is crappy. Especially when It left outside.
    I bet..I`ve never bought wood at a big-box, only at lumber yards. Not that I`ve ever bought much wood!

..It was their workers who got them where they are now, and they haven`t forgot that.

Since they pay good their price are higher than average for parts, service, sales.
    I`m glad to hear they`re that way, and I wouldn`t mind paying a bit more as a result.
    Female bosses does treat their employees better.
    Same experience here (my bosses have mostly been women and they were all better than the male ones).

If Swan agrees with the warranty you`ll will have a brand new hose. The new hose will have the remaining warranty of the original purchase hose.
    I`m gonna wait and see if/when I really need a new one. I have way too many spare hoses around here as it is between the Detailing shop and the yard/etc.

It varies on how far someone live from the water plant, how high the city set the water pressure, needs and demand.

If I call the water department they may set it higher if I complain or told them I`m doing a water irrigation system.
    Our situation is sub-optimal as we`re at the very end of the water line into this area, but we still had higher pressure than yours. That`s an interesting thought, that they could adjust it, dunno how they`d do that.

My sister has the alerts on her cards. It`s mostly on Amazon where someone steal her card number.

Once she had credit card number on someone else Amazon account. With the alerts it stop that fraud.
    I only use one card for stuff like that, so it`d no biggie to replace it as needed. But I basically let my wife do all the Amazon orders (what with her Prime), so it`s her headache not mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Whether you can get away with that will depend on 1) the headliner (just can`t generalize too much..) and 2) how hard you scrub. Headliners are simply unpredictable with regard to how fragile they are. I`d rather have some stains than risk having to replace one, but that`s just me.
    A while ago she mentioned there was slobber on the headliner that starting to stink.

Is steam good to use on headliners? Eventually I picked up a Wagner 915 steamer but once it was ready to steam the steam wasn`t hot. The steam wouldn`t burn your hand. So, I ended up returning it. I`m going to look for another steamer.

No, the *worst* case would be having to live with light gray carpeting that`s as bad as in my Tahoe! I`d try to do *something* about the worst stains sooner rather than later. I have no idea whether D101 would be a good choice...never used it. I`d be using a dedicated carpet stain remover, like from ChemSpec or something like that.
    Would carpet dye work in your case?

I have a 5 gallon container of D101 that I just opened up. I have to use it up before it goes bad. I do have a professional grade carpet cleaning solution.

I really can`t imagine going through life with hunt-and-peck typing. Some time spent learning touch typing (even if you do an unconventional version of it) would *REALLY* be time well-spent in the long run. (I got that lecture from my mother back in grade school; she was a typing instructor as part of her career.)
    No one teach me how to type. It was learn as I go. A doctor friend of mine was typing. I was watching how he type. He was doing the same as me, hunt-and-peck. I syill have a lot to learn.

Now it`s just a habit.

Understood, same situation here.
    Usually I`ll do laundry, making breakfast, plus other things, in the morning, multitasking.

All our utility meters are the "smart" kind, that transmit the info, no more meter-reading. That`d be great in your area!
    The water meter is on a wireless system. All the water department have to do is drive down the street to read meters. The gas and electric has to be read manually.

Heh heh, you`d sure think so! But I`m thinning the accumulation, seems like no matter how big the garage/house/anything it gets filled up with [crap]...trying to fix that.
    My basement used to be like that. Everything started smell mildew, damp I throw everything out. Its seem more I clean and throw thing out it doesn`t seem I accomplish anything.

Noting that I`d rather die than do something like Detailing all the time ...nah, not as much room as you`d think! When I had more cars it was a nightmare. I like lots of elbow room anyhow..guess I`m spoiled by the much larger facilities I had as a kid, still think those were normal.
    I`m the complete opposite. Tighter space is normal.

The only dealership I`ve seen with decent amount of room was at a Ford dealership. The building was also expanded 3 times to keep up with the business growing. Toyota had the room to expand a lot more but the owner is cheap.

I could imagine downsizing, but it`d mean just giving up the Detailing and that`d mean having different (much newer) vehicles, which we wouldn`t like one bit.
    You probably will never downsize. You got accustomed to having the bigger space. Which is hard to get used to something smaller.

Post Thanks / Like

That makes sense, and IMO nobody outside of Autopia really cares about this Detailing stuff anyhow. Friends of ours buy six-figure vehicles that are in worse cosmetic shape than I`d *ever* be seen it, and think I`m nuts to notice all the flaws.
    It all about the profit margins. No dealership will allow a Autopian style detail to be perform on any vehicle. At the German car dealership, On a new $100,000 Audi it will get a quick wash & wax and most customers will be happy at that.

I do miss taking the Audi(s) for a test drive.

We`ve had concrete driveways at our houses, and at all the shops I`ve had since..forever.
    I thought about concrete driveway. With the weather, climate cement crack faster.

I bet..I`ve never bought wood at a big-box, only at lumber yards. Not that I`ve ever bought much wood!
    The closest lumber yard been sold. I used to there all the time. I`m stuck with Home Depot.

I`m glad to hear they`re that way, and I wouldn`t mind paying a bit more as a result.

My friend brother in law work there for 15 to 20 years. He loves it. He does miss working at Toyota.

Same experience here (my bosses have mostly been women and they were all better than the male ones).

At the German dealership the owner treat their workers like gold but cheap. They`re male owners and management. The workers come first.

The owner was in his 70`s and will do circles around me. I was in my 20`s.

I`m gonna wait and see if/when I really need a new one. I have way too many spare hoses around here as it is between the Detailing shop and the yard/etc.

If you find your cardboard wrap. You will know what your warranty is. Swan has different warranty for different hose.

I`m going to look at my spare Swan hose for warranty information, out of curiosity.

Our situation is sub-optimal as we`re at the very end of the water line into this area, but we still had higher pressure than yours. That`s an interesting thought, that they could adjust it, dunno how they`d do that.

I was told, since the city put in bigger water pipes, underground in the street. The increase in pipe diameter decreases the water pressure.

There`s a valve on the sidewalk that connect to the house feed line. The water department can adjust how much water and water pressure coming into the house by a twist of the valve or decrease.

I only use one card for stuff like that, so it`d no biggie to replace it as needed. But I basically let my wife do all the Amazon orders (what with her Prime), so it`s her headache not mine.

My sister has one card for online purchasing. Makes it easier to keep track of.

Post Thanks / Like

A while ago she mentioned there was slobber on the headliner that starting to stink...
    Lesson: never leave things go, they can get nasty. I know, "easy for [Accumulator] to say!" but seriously, that kind of thing is why owning a dog is a high-maintenance undertaking.

Is steam good to use on headliners?
    Same story- it`d be very risky. Overheat the thing (and/or whatever keeps it in place) and you`re spending huge $.

Eventually I picked up a Wagner 915 steamer but once it was ready to steam the steam wasn`t hot. The steam wouldn`t burn your hand. So, I ended up returning it. I`m going to look for another steamer...
    IMO most steamers underperform so badly that they`re a waste of $, and good ones are really pricey.

Would carpet dye work in your case?
    Only if I were willing to change the color, and I suspect it`d also change the texture. Not worth running the risk that I`d like it *less* than just having the stains. Hey, it *is* clean, just stained, and after all these years with it I`ve grown accustomed to it being that way. Funny the things you can end up being OK with...

I have a 5 gallon container of D101 that I just opened up. I have to use it up before it goes bad..
    I wouldn`t expect it to go bad. I have APCs that are much older than a decade and they`re still fine.

I do have a professional grade carpet cleaning solution.
    I`d probably just use that.

No one teach me how to type. It was learn as I go. A doctor friend of mine was typing. I was watching how he type. He was doing the same as me, hunt-and-peck...
    Understood, and yeah..it`d be a PIA to DIY that learning and gee, the time it`d take, and and and. I do get it

And with all the weird devices we "type" into these days, sometimes you`re gonna H-`n`-P anyhow. I was just throwing it out there as I find it *SO* useful.

I syill have a lot to learn...
    Heh heh, IMO we *ALL* still have a lot to learn. And still will in our final moments on earth...there`s just no end to learning IMO.

..Usually I`ll do laundry, making breakfast, plus other things, in the morning, multitasking.
    I`m kinda the same way with this stuff, but rather than thinking of it as/try to do multi-tasking, I make it all sequential, doing (other) stuff during the natural pauses in the various processes.

I`m trying to get rid of the whole "multitasking" thing since people can`t really do that with regard to stuff that requires conscious thought, and IMO almost everything in life is better if I approach it with conscious focus...."do what you`re doing" as the saying goes (that lifelong learning thing again )

..The water meter is on a wireless system. All the water department have to do is drive down the street to read meters. The gas and electric has to be read manually.
    They *just* updated our electric meter the other week, that was the last of `em, all transmitting now.

My basement used to be like that. Everything started smell mildew, damp I throw everything out..
    Damp basements can be a big hassle! And having too much [crap] just makes it worse. One of the waterheaters in our basement blew a nasty leak and had I not cleared things out a while back it would`ve been a real disaster. Avoided that by just a few days...good lesson there!

Its seem more I clean and throw thing out it doesn`t seem I accomplish anything.
    Noting that I actually *like* tidying things up/etc., it`s something that can be more challenging than one might expect! My wife`s just not very good at it, whereas I am. I figure she just hasn`t invested herself in it right..it`s another thing you can learn a lot about, at least if you want to *really* make permanent progress.

[INSERT suggestion to read Gretchen Rubin`s book "Outer Order Inner Calm", which is all about that and which I really enjoyed.]

..I`m the complete opposite. Tighter space is normal...
    I bet that`s easier to live with than being my way about it...oughta be much cheaper too!

..The only dealership I`ve seen with decent amount of room was at a Ford dealership..
    That`s interesting! Around here *all* the dealerships are huge operations, but I have no idea about their "detailing".

You probably will never downsize. You got accustomed to having the bigger space. Which is hard to get used to something smaller.
    Eh, we have way more than we need...and even more than I currently want. AND at some point the surviving spouse will simply have to downsize; this is *NOT* a property that one person could take care of without Bill Gates-money. We simply overdid it. Didn`t seem that way at the time, but things/people change and now that`s how I see it.

Post Thanks / Like

It all about the profit margins. No dealership will allow a Autopian style detail to be perform on any vehicle.

At the German car dealership, On a new $100,000 Audi it will get a quick wash & wax and most customers will be happy at that.
    I bet *some* higher-end ones do it right, but I`m sure it`s rare. Same ol` same ol`, most people simply don`t care. And with every vehicle costing stupid-money these days I figure most people don`t really *own* their cars any more either..they either lease `em or trade in before they`ve paid it off. Not the same as saving up, and then paying cash (what I`ve always done). I could *NEVER* neglect anything that I spent such big money on, I`m really *invested* in my vehicles and not just in the $ sense but also emotionally, because in my mind they`re "really mine" and I want them to last indefinitely. My friends who lease come right out and say that they simply don`t care, and we`re still talking really big money (I was shocked how much people pay to lease!).

Under the original ownership, my Audi dealer once had a *really* good guy doing their New Car Prep; I even let him do ours! But that was *that guy*, and that owner was really great in every respect, just a stellar human being. He and I did business with a handshake, and heaven help the employee who didn`t take good care of me..."just do whatever he wants, got it?!?"
    I do miss taking the Audi(s) for a test drive.
    You might not like the newest ones that much. We get `em as Service Loaners and it`s very rare that we don`t simply *HATE* whatever it is for one reason or another.

I thought about concrete driveway. With the weather, climate cement crack faster.
    Yeah, lots of things to consider. Our has its share of issues after 20 years.

The closest lumber yard been sold. I used to there all the time. I`m stuck with Home Depot.
    It`s going that way around here too, but I haven`t needed wood for a while (since people we know sold their yards..dunno where I`ll go next time).

At the German dealership the owner treat their workers like gold but cheap. They`re male owners and management. The workers come first..

Some business owners take that to an extreme, where the workers get away with murder and the customer is always *wrong*.

The owner was in his 70`s and will do circles around me. I was in my 20`s.
    Heh heh, some of us older guys can surprise ya

If you find your cardboard wrap...
    The wrap/etc. for that one is long gone. Eh, my latest repair is working out just fine (lucky me).

Swan has different warranty for different hose..
    I`m going to look at my spare Swan hose for warranty information, out of curiosity.

Heh heh, oh boy, another variable to consider! I am gonna check out my spare Swan too, and see what it says..AFAIK it`s the same as my old one.

I was told, since the city put in bigger water pipes, underground in the street. The increase in pipe diameter decreases the water pressure.

There`s a valve on the sidewalk that connect to the house feed line. The water department can adjust how much water and water pressure coming into the house by a twist of the valve or decrease.
    Ah, OK...*now* I get it! If they can tweak it that`d be great.

My sister has one card for online purchasing. Makes it easier to keep track of..
    Yep!

Post Thanks / Like

Lesson: never leave things go, they can get nasty. I know, "easy for [Accumulator] to say!" but seriously, that kind of thing is why owning a dog is a high-maintenance undertaking.
    Owning a dog is one thing but owning three is totally different. Something that she wasn`t expecting.

She bought 1 dog then she felt that the dog needed a companion so she bought another dog. Then 1 of the dog got sick where the vet said that the dog wasn`t going to last another year. Then she bought another dog for a companion but the sick dog made a 100% recovery. Now she has 3 dogs.

Same story- it`d be very risky. Overheat the thing (and/or whatever keeps it in place) and you`re spending huge $.
    The whole headliner definitely would benefit from a cleaning. Is there a safe way to clean the whole headliner?

Only if I were willing to change the color, and I suspect it`d also change the texture. Not worth running the risk that I`d like it *less* than just having the stains. Hey, it *is* clean, just stained, and after all these years with it I`ve grown accustomed to it being that way. Funny the things you can end up being OK with...
    I dye a cloth section of a door panel once. It kind of altered the look and feel of the material.

I wouldn`t expect it to go bad. I have APCs that are much older than a decade and they`re still fine.
    Do you notice any chemical separation?

And with all the weird devices we "type" into these days, sometimes you`re gonna H-`n`-P anyhow. I was just throwing it out there as I find it *SO* useful.
    I was watching a Comcast Tech on a smart phone. I never seen anyone type so fast. He mentioned he used to type with one finger but speed is important to get to the next customer. He had to learn how to speed type.

Post Thanks / Like

I learned not to wash white microfiber with red microfiber.

I know there`s no limits on learning.

I`m trying to get rid of the whole "multitasking" thing since people can`t really do that with regard to stuff that requires conscious thought, and IMO almost everything in life is better if I approach it with conscious focus...."do what you`re doing" as the saying goes (that lifelong learning thing again )
    It`s all I do, multitasking. I will do one thing something else will pop up before I can complete something

They *just* updated our electric meter the other week, that was the last of `em, all transmitting now.

The last time the electric company touch the outdoor meter they cause a leak, to rough. When it rain the water dripping from the circuit breakers, then all over the floor.

Damp basements can be a big hassle! And having too much [crap] just makes it worse. One of the waterheaters in our basement blew a nasty leak and had I not cleared things out a while back it would`ve been a real disaster. Avoided that by just a few days...good lesson there!
    I had a dehumidifier in the basement with no luck. It was a big PIA. In the middle of the night I would have to go downstairs empty the water from the dehumidifier. I don;t think there much I cab do for a damp basement.

Noting that I actually *like* tidying things up/etc., it`s something that can be more challenging than one might expect! My wife`s just not very good at it, whereas I am. I figure she just hasn`t invested herself in it right..it`s another thing you can learn a lot about, at least if you want to *really* make permanent progress.

There`s stuff from are childhood, gift from family members that passed away. So it hard for us to throw things out. Once the remodel start we have to make a decision quick

I bet that`s easier to live with than being my way about it...oughta be much cheaper too
    A lot of my jobs was in tighter confined area. The house is more opened up.

That`s interesting! Around here *all* the dealerships are huge operations, but I have no idea about their "detailing".
    At Toyota there plenty of room to expand, if the owner wasn`t cheap. I believe it was about 8 acres. The German dealership was no room to expand. I think it could be a little bigger but it`s not bad for the amount of work they do. Once I get out of this area the dealerships get bigger.

Eh, we have way more than we need...and even more than I currently want. AND at some point the surviving spouse will simply have to downsize; this is *NOT* a property that one person could take care of without Bill Gates-money. We simply overdid it. Didn`t seem that way at the time, but things/people change and now that`s how I see it.
    It`s good for privacy. At least you cab go outside without people watching your every move.

I bet *some* higher-end ones do it right, but I`m sure it`s rare. Same ol` same ol`, most people simply don`t care. And with every vehicle costing stupid-money these days I figure most people don`t really *own* their cars any more either..they either lease `em or trade in before they`ve paid it off. Not the same as saving up, and then paying cash (what I`ve always done). I could *NEVER* neglect anything that I spent such big money on, I`m really *invested* in my vehicles and not just in the $ sense but also emotionally, because in my mind they`re "really mine" and I want them to last indefinitely. My friends who lease come right out and say that they simply don`t care, and we`re still talking really big money (I was shocked how much people pay to lease!).
    From working at a few dealership I`ve seen 3 different type of detailers, the ones that don`t care, the ones that care but not allowed to do there best, the one that knows nothing.

The only place I heard that gives enough time to do a proper detail was Maybach in Boston. I don`t know the quality of work they produce.

Seem like your friend look at cars like my sister friend does, that cars are disposable.

Under the original ownership, my Audi dealer once had a *really* good guy doing their New Car Prep; I even let him do ours! But that was *that guy*, and that owner was really great in every respect, just a stellar human being. He and I did business with a handshake, and heaven help the employee who didn`t take good care of me..."just do whatever he wants, got it?!?"
    Sounds like the owner of the German cars dealership, here. He does whatever it takes to make the customers happy.

You might not like the newest ones that much. We get `em as Service Loaners and it`s very rare that we don`t simply *HATE* whatever it is for one reason or another.
    I`ve been in the new Audi never drove them. Back then I drove and like the Audi A8. They were nice to drive.

Yeah, lots of things to consider. Our has its share of issues after 20 years.
    I`ve seen the neighbor cement driveway crack after 3 years.

As people say "It`s all in the prep". I guest this goes towards everything.

It`s going that way around here too, but I haven`t needed wood for a while (since people we know sold their yards..dunno where I`ll go next time).

I`m going have to find another lumber yard. About 3 lumber yards close within a year from each other.

Some business owners take that to an extreme, where the workers get away with murder and the customer is always *wrong*.
    Then they cry when their business is failing.

Heh heh, some of us older guys can surprise ya
    He`ll be running around for 8+ hours a day, non stop.

The wrap/etc. for that one is long gone. Eh, my latest repair is working out just fine (lucky me).
    At least you got plenty of spare hoses.

Ah, OK...*now* I get it! If they can tweak it that`d be great.
    It`s like a faucet, the more you turn it, more water comes out.

The city like to regulate the pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Owning a dog is one thing but owning three is totally different. Something that she wasn`t expecting.///
    That`s absolutely right! We found that out the hard way too, but for us it was temporary as we were rehabbing a Rescue. Three dogs is very different from merely "another 50% more than two dogs", no comparison at all!

And I get the "dog that didn`t die so quickly after all" as our older one has now lasted about a year longer than we ever expected. No chance of an actual recovery (Degenerative Myelopathy) in this case, but he`s still here and he`s still happy.
    The whole headliner definitely would benefit from a cleaning. Is there a safe way to clean the whole headliner?
    I`d use some "no need to rinse" Interior cleaner on a plush MF, and I`d sure settle for "a bit better" rather than trying for some miracle.

BUT...I`m sure no expert on this one and I wonder what, say...Ron Ketcham...would say.

I dye a cloth section of a door panel once. It kind of altered the look and feel of the material..
    Yeah, trade-offs like that seem likely. Different people will probably have different opinions about better/worse.

...Do you notice any chemical separation..[in your older APCs]..?
    No. I bet different APCs are...different...but none of mine have ever gone bad, and I can`t even recall any actually drying out. ALL of mine are probably at least a decade old, and I bet the older ones date to the `90s. Just used some P21s TAW that I bought many years before moving here, and that was in `00.

..I was watching a Comcast Tech on a smart phone. I never seen anyone type so fast. He mentioned he used to type with one finger but speed is important to get to the next customer. He had to learn how to speed type.
    Some people (e.g., my late mother) can *really* type fast, and with zero errors ever! I`m still amazed when people do it with regular keyboards (actually much easier than the old manual typewriters I grew up with..the kind my mother used), let alone with smaller devices! I figure it`s one of those Generational Changes in Skillsets.

Post Thanks / Like

I learned not to wash white microfiber with red microfiber...
    Heh heh, at least you learned that with MFs and not some really expensive textile like clothing!
    I know there`s no limits on learning.

Good on you for realizing that! A whole lotta people simply quit learning new stuff (or even keeping sharp on stuff they used to know).

It`s all I do, multitasking. I will do one thing something else will pop up before I can complete something..
    I`d work on that...every study I`ve ever read said that the human brain just can`t do it because all higher-order thought processes simply have to happen sequentually; the neural pathways can`t deal with more than one stream at a time. Though I`ve seen guys who really make you wonder about that, it`s still all sequential, switching back and forth really *really* fast.

I`ve found I do a lot better since I quit trying to multitask, wish I`d quit sooner.

The last time the electric company touch the outdoor meter they cause a leak, to rough. When it rain the water dripping from the circuit breakers, then all over the floor.
    Yikes, that`d really [tick] me off! Though I watch people like that every second to make sure such stuff doesn`t happen (easy for the retired guy to say/do!), most people I know just trust Utility Workers to do stuff right...sometimes that doesn`t work out so well.

I had a dehumidifier in the basement with no luck. It was a big PIA. In the middle of the night I would have to go downstairs empty the water from the dehumidifier. I don;t think there much I cab do for a damp basement.
    Oh...you *CAN* sort it out, but "is it worth it?!?" becomes a real Q. We`ve always ended up having those Basement Waterproofing Systems done, which is a nasty-messy, and very expensive, solution that does work.

But we only did that for the one section of the one basement that really needed it. In the other such areas we just run dehumidifiers, and they`re working out OK (even if it`s not the "right" fix). I don`t bother dumping the ones that don`t flow into floordrains until it`s convenient..no middle-of-night stuff for me! No problems so far with the auto-shutoffs, and I`ve been running dehumidifiers my whole life (my parents had `em before I was even born).

There`s stuff from are childhood, gift from family members that passed away. So it hard for us to throw things out. Once the remodel start we have to make a decision quick..
    Heh heh, that sounds like us We have many generations of such stuff, from at least our four families (my/wife`s maternal/paternal...and nobody from those ever threw anything out either). I`m *much* better about throwing stuff out than my wife is, but that only helps with my portion of the stuff and it`s not like I have all of *mine* under control either
    At Toyota there plenty of room to expand, if the owner wasn`t cheap. I believe it was about 8 acres. The German dealership was no room to expand. I think it could be a little bigger but it`s not bad for the amount of work they do.
    The new owner of my Audi dealer moved it into a huge new place he built, but no more paint/body I`d dealt with the same guys for decades...they just retired and now I`m kinda stuck as my "good painter" is also gone.

..Once I get out of this area the dealerships get bigger.
    Hope you don`t have to go as far out of your area to find somebody decent as I do.

It`s good for privacy. At least you cab go outside without people watching your every move...
    That`s always been a top priority for us, and we do have lots of privacy here. My first house was in a "regular suburban neighborhood" with neighbors within line-of-sight and I was *OUT OF THERE* in less than a year. I`d rather live in a double-wide with privacy than in any house with people right next to it..IMO if I had to have "up close neighbors" I`d might as well get an apartment (I`d be "that guy in the building who keeps to himself" ).

From working at a few dealership I`ve seen 3 different type of detailers, the ones that don`t care, the ones that care but not allowed to do there best, the one that knows nothing.
    Sigh..that`s probably the way it is most places. Unless you get somebody who`s really into it, to the point where "doing what he`s paid for, and no more" isn`t how he goes about things. And even then he needs the owner to let him..

Seem like your friend look at cars like my sister friend does, that cars are disposable.
    Even their keepers...including some collector cars/etc. that win concourses!... are simply awful by Autopian standards. Their Dailies get zero cosmetic attention.. I wouldn`t rid in the things they`re so nasty and some of these are 6-figure cars (or would be if somebody actually *bought* one).

Sounds like the owner of the German cars dealership, here. He does whatever it takes to make the customers happy.
    Hope he keeps that up!

I`ve been in the new Audi never drove them. Back then I drove and like the Audi A8. They were nice to drive.
    We like our A8, more than my S8 by far, but the newer ones we`ve driven left us absolutely cold, wouldn`t want one. Too much "stuff between the driver and the driving" with all the "modern" stuff-by-wire and other "features". OK, I like the Sat radio, but I sure wouldn`t pay $ for it.

Things like throttle/brake response are all over the map, some are IMO undrivable, but a few are...well, OK..but no better. Give me mechanical stuff any day!

I`ve seen the neighbor cement driveway crack after 3 years.
    Huh, must be the area or something. Although there`s a saying in the Concrete Business that "all concrete cracks, just hopefully where you expect it to happen". Our Drive is really uneven (and no, the "leveling" can`t be done), but it only has one nasty crack that`s not on a cut-line. Only one (that`s significant) in a basement too, lucky us.

As people say "It`s all in the prep". I guest this goes towards everything...
    Yep.

I`m going have to find another lumber yard. About 3 lumber yards close within a year from each other.
    I bet the old family business ones are getting rare.

Then they [who don`t treat customers right] cry when their business is failing..
    What bugs me is when those businesses *DON`T* fail. Around here most people just take it, and I`m considered a weirdo for not just "sucking it up".

..[that older guy]`ll be running around for 8+ hours a day, non stop...
    Those are the older people who do best at Life in general IME. The ones who *sit* for 8 hours/day age a lot worse. People are supposed to do physically active stuff all day..even those who choose to be white-collar.

At least you got plenty of spare hoses.,,
    It *is* handy that I can run a hose hundreds of yards from the house, but sheesh...and I donated a bunch of `em to Goodwill after my Dad died.

It`s like a faucet, the more you turn it, more water comes out. The city like to regulate the pressure.
    Ah, I see...around here the valves at the street/etc. are all wide-open all the time and you get what you get.

[/quote]

Post Thanks / Like

And I get the "dog that didn`t die so quickly after all" as our older one has now lasted about a year longer than we ever expected. No chance of an actual recovery (Degenerative Myelopathy) in this case, but he`s still here and he`s still happy.
    Is this your last dog? If it is, are you planning on getting another dog?

I`d use some "no need to rinse" Interior cleaner on a plush MF, and I`d sure settle for "a bit better" rather than trying for some miracle.
    She want the SUV smelling fresh. If the liner is to far gone then the next best thing is probably re-uphostery the headliner or a new one

I`ll probably suggest leaving it alone.

Yeah, trade-offs like that seem likely. Different people will probably have different opinions about better/worse.
    The best thing was the dye came off with soap and water. After the cleaning of the dye the cloth insert look better than before the die.

No. I bet different APCs are...different...but none of mine have ever gone bad, and I can`t even recall any actually drying out. ALL of mine are probably at least a decade old, and I bet the older ones date to the `90s. Just used some P21s TAW that I bought many years before moving here, and that was in `00.

Hopefully the D101 last just as long.

I have some 10 yrs old Simple Green. It look the same, smell the same, hopefully it perform the same.

Some people (e.g., my late mother) can *really* type fast, and with zero errors ever! I`m still amazed when people do it with regular keyboards (actually much easier than the old manual typewriters I grew up with..the kind my mother used), let alone with smaller devices! I figure it`s one of those Generational Changes in Skillsets
    My oldest sister took typing in school. She was the quickest in her class. Her class had the old manuel typewriters. The teachers figure if the students can get used to those old typewriters they can type on anything.

I still get laugh at with my typing skills.

Heh heh, at least you learned that with MFs and not some really expensive textile like clothing!
    I also learned not to wash yellow microfiber with dark blue microfiber. I now have green Meguiars Supreme Shine with the silk borders.

[QUOTE][Good on you for realizing that! A whole lotta people simply quit learning new stuff (or even keeping sharp on stuff they used to know).

Even my doctors friends says the same thing. He still learning new things everyday. It when people stop learning, unwilling to learn new things or think they know everything.

I worked with people that think they know everything. It wasn`t fun.

I`d work on that...every study I`ve ever read said that the human brain just can`t do it because all higher-order thought processes simply have to happen sequentually; the neural pathways can`t deal with more than one stream at a time. Though I`ve seen guys who really make you wonder about that, it`s still all sequential, switching back and forth really *really* fast.
    The mind can give 100% to 1 task but gives less towards 2 task. This is how mistakes happens.

I`ve found I do a lot better since I quit trying to multitask, wish I`d quit sooner.
    My problem is I have to learn when to quit.

Yikes, that`d really [tick] me off! Though I watch people like that every second to make sure such stuff doesn`t happen (easy for the retired guy to say/do!), most people I know just trust Utility Workers to do stuff right...sometimes that doesn`t work out so well.

The electric company change the meter with no one home. I found out because the glass was shiny. When I called about the leak they denied everything. Now there`s wires in PVC pipe going to the meter. Plus I upgraded to a 200A main breaker.

Oh...you *CAN* sort it out, but "is it worth it?!?" becomes a real Q. We`ve always ended up having those Basement Waterproofing Systems done, which is a nasty-messy, and very expensive, solution that does work.
    This is the million dollar question "is it worth it". It a question that I can`t answer at the moment.

But we only did that for the one section of the one basement that really needed it. In the other such areas we just run dehumidifiers, and they`re working out OK (even if it`s not the "right" fix). I don`t bother dumping the ones that don`t flow into floordrains until it`s convenient..no middle-of-night stuff for me! No problems so far with the auto-shutoffs, and I`ve been running dehumidifiers my whole life (my parents had `em before I was even born).
    The first thing I have to do is excuvate the yard to get rain water to run away from the house. The ground is higher than the bulkhead and windows. When it rain water comes in.

I then would need a minimum of 2 dehumidfiers going. I had issues with the dehumidfier cut off not working. Over flowing on the floor. I also have to clean out the floor drain.

Does your drain have a back flow preventer? I been thinking avout installing one.

Heh heh, that sounds like us We have many generations of such stuff, from at least our four families (my/wife`s maternal/paternal...and nobody from those ever threw anything out either). I`m *much* better about throwing stuff out than my wife is, but that only helps with my portion of the stuff and it`s not like I have all of *mine* under control either

It`s hard to get rid of items that your`re emotional attach to. My mother passed away about 8 years from cancer. The family still have a lot of her belongings. Plus the other family belongings.

[QUOTE]The new owner of my Audi dealer moved it into a huge new place he built, but no more paint/body I`d dealt with the same guys for decades...they just retired and now I`m kinda stuck as my "good painter" is also gone.

The owner of the German dealership must be in his 90`s now. The son and daughter is going to takes over the dealership. If they want to.

I don`t think the dealership would benefit from a larger building. As a service tech it wasn`t overly busy but their was enough work on a daily basis. It was a relax atmosphere.

Hope you don`t have to go as far out of your area to find somebody decent as I do.
    Toyota was about 40 minutes ride.

There a Kia, Ford, in the city. The rest are about 1/2 hour or more away.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s always been a top priority for us, and we do have lots of privacy here. My first house was in a "regular suburban neighborhood" with neighbors within line-of-sight and I was *OUT OF THERE* in less than a year. I`d rather live in a double-wide with privacy than in any house with people right next to it..IMO if I had to have "up close neighbors" I`d might as well get an apartment (I`d be "that guy in the building who keeps to himself" ).
    I have no privacy in this area. The neighbor has his camera facing at my yard. The motion alert is set on my door. He knows when people are coming in and out the house.

Sigh..that`s probably the way it is most places. Unless you get somebody who`s really into it, to the point where "doing what he`s paid for, and no more" isn`t how he goes about things. And even then he needs the owner to let him..
    I haven`t seen any place that will give detailers the amount of time they need to complete a job correctly. In this area to do a Autopia style detail, the shop will be non competitive then close.

I was talking to a detailing shop owner. To compete in this area and to produce a higher than average work. It was a tough thing to do. Word of mouth kept the place open for so long but had to close. He still want to open another shop. He learned a lot from his mistakes.

There a detailing shop buying up all the smaller detailing shop to put his business their then selling the place with a clause. No detailing shop. Less competition, plus he doesn`t have to buy the place again.

Even their keepers...including some collector cars/etc. that win concourses!... are simply awful by Autopian standards. Their Dailies get zero cosmetic attention.. I wouldn`t rid in the things they`re so nasty and some of these are 6-figure cars (or would be if somebody actually *bought* one).
    For the collector cars, he probably pays someone to clean the car up right before a show.

The nasty dailies kind of reminds of some of the rental car I used. I had to clean the rentals just to drive them.

We like our A8, more than my S8 by far, but the newer ones we`ve driven left us absolutely cold, wouldn`t want one. Too much "stuff between the driver and the driving" with all the "modern" stuff-by-wire and other "features". OK, I like the Sat radio, but I sure wouldn`t pay $ for it.
    The A8 I drove was like riding on a cloud, so smooth. The cornering wasn`t that great at highway speed. Overall it was a nice driver.

I have`t drove any modern Audi I can`t comment on the newer cars.

Huh, must be the area or something. Although there`s a saying in the Concrete Business that "all concrete cracks, just hopefully where you expect it to happen". Our Drive is really uneven (and no, the "leveling" can`t be done), but it only has one nasty crack that`s not on a cut-line. Only one (that`s significant) in a basement too, lucky us.
    The best part was the city was replacing the damage sidewalk. His damage area got cut out and replace. When it was cut out I could see big gap between the ground and the driveway. I think the prep wasn`t done right. When it rain then freeze the driveway will lift. Once thawed the driveway will go back to normal.

I bet the old family business ones are getting rare.
    Big box stores are closing the family owned stores. The hardware store near me had to switch to a name store (True Value then Ace Hardware) just to stay open. Even a auto body supply store had to switch business name to stay open. They didn`t want to but had to.

What bugs me is when those businesses *DON`T* fail. Around here most people just take it, and I`m considered a weirdo for not just "sucking it up".
    Your`re doing good for what your`re doing. A lot places aren`t. Then these business have to hire someone to tell what they`re doing wrong.

These businesses probably are failing but you just can`t tell, until it`s to late.

Those are the older people who do best at Life in general IME. The ones who *sit* for 8 hours/day age a lot worse. People are supposed to do physically active stuff all day..even those who choose to be white-collar.
    My friends grandfather was breaking up concrete at the age of 99. Then the son starting doing everything for him. He passed away at 100.

It *is* handy that I can run a hose hundreds of yards from the house, but sheesh...and I donated a bunch of `em to Goodwill after my Dad died.
    But it`s not fun wrapping the hose for those 100`s of yards.

Ah, I see...around here the valves at the street/etc. are all wide-open all the time and you get what you get.
    The city started regulating the water pressure since people were complaining of water pressure are damaging there faucets. I guest the faucet were made for a certain PSI that the water pressure exceeded the PSI limits.

I like the water pressure better before it was regulated.

I see you like the spacing at the end. I didn`t see it at first, then once I did notice it I didn`t know how to correct it.

Post Thanks / Like

Carnage- How about we move this discussion (which I`m enjoying) to PMs? Some poor person might SEARCH for Vacuum Nozzle or somesuch and find this 9-page thing...

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone looking for the Ridgid Vacuum kit for car cleaning mentioned in this thread. Home Depot has it for $20

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread Information