Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shop Vac hose upgrade question.

So my googling sucks lately, I have the Rigid car kit hose and lost both end pieces so I can`t connect it to my Metro Vac N Blo and I gotta jerry rig attachments I hook to it. Of course they don`t sell either separately. These SHOULD be easy things to find from another company. But all I`m finding online is for hooking smaller attachments to a bigger hose. I need something that`s the reverse of this. Would anyone be able to give me a name I can search on Google? A kit of all adapters would be awesome as I have like 10 attachments in what seem to be every conceivable size lol. I`ll buy the Mr Nozzle someone brought up in a few months looking for something cheap to get me by until then though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    I think the best thing you can do is to contact Mr Nozzle and explain your situation and let them know what you believe the diameter is on your unit. I had absolutely no issue getting the correct parts the first time and they`ve worked perfectly since. I sent you the link via PM. (I don`t know their part numbers - - best for you to contact them.)
    Thanks for the link, appreciate it.

I was looking at adapters on Amazon, plus reading reviews. A lot people were complaining their adapters doesn`t fit. Some people posted pictures pf the adapters with a digital caliper around it. The manufacturer specs were off. I think this is my issue of finding a adapter that fits.

I going have to call the manufacturer for the proper size. I want to pick up a larger diameter hose for house repairs, chores.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Sigh..people...
    I watched a Fed Ex driver trip on my first step of the porch as he was walking into the backyard. Some people just don`t pay attention.

Well, I guess you pick your battles. I`ve never not had garage facilities of one kind or another. Lacking those (even if we just downsize sometime), I`d probably just quit doing this Detailing stuff and lease something that I wouldn`t care about; the "disposable car" approach. And yeah, I really can imagine doing that sometime.
    How big is your garage? At Toyota it was tight. The German dealership was 1 spot right in front of the garage.

It just takes me that long to clean/inspect/dry everything. Getting in the tight spots takes some doing. Between that and the engine compartment I spend an awful lot of time on areas that I suspect most people don`t keep Autopian on a regular basis. The "regular panels" hardly take any time at all compared to all the areas "nobody sees" but to me those areas are actually far more important (in the functional sense).
    My undercarriage cleaner is running it through the touch less automatic car wash. I can`t use jack stands on my asphalt driveway.

The wrong owner/manager has prompted us to replace all our vehicles, and more than once.
    The owners think he doing a great job. No one will stand up to that manager, due to losing their job. Most service tech left Toyota to go to Honda dealership. Which 3 women owns. The Honda owners always says that they won`t be where they are if it wasn`t for their workers. Plus they pay good and treat their employees good.

I just repaired mine. But thinking ahead, I did save all the packaging/etc. on the one I have as a spare and next time one dies I`ll go for a replacement.
    As long as you`re within the warranty you shouldn`t have a problem. I didn`t have a receipt and they warranty the hose with no issue.

The pump pressurizes the holding tank, which maintains constant (boosted) pressure. Gotta have shutoffs/bypasses/etc. if only for when the pump needs replaced. I forget the tank`s capacity, but it`s a big thing. The whole system wasn`t just $1K or anything, it was a pretty big deal.
    The plumber came down, put a meter on the hose. I was somewhere in 60`s PSI off the hose. I don`t know if I got good pressure now.

I`d call VISA the instant they charged another month after I`d cancelled. Like...that morning, immediately.
    Most people put a stop on their credit card right after they cancel their membership. Stop them for automatic withdrawing money out of their account.

Huh, I`ve never seen a reason to do that, but that`s just me..
    I like doing things outside. The sun is going to soften the hose a little, make it easy wrapping it up. The sun doesn`t help to much when the extension retains its shape when it was wrap up.

Nor have it done by somebody?!? Gee...eh, to each their own, but I`ve never let *ANYTHING* in my life get nasty. Not even the inside of a trash can.
    A professional detailers quoted her $600 to clean the inside, that includes carpets cleaning, upholstery cleaning with a extractor. She just walk out the door.

She doesn`t put cleaning her SUV on any priority list to do.

I used to be like this to. Once someone sat on a moldy BK Whooper on the back seat of my car. The reaction was funny.

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes, headliners can be fragile!
    Do you think a boars hair brush will work or leather brush?

For a mild cleaner, I`m think Folex.

Hope it all comes clean. Some set-in stains are impossible to get out; my Tahoe`s carpet was ruined years before I got it It`s clean, but the stains are forever.
    There`s a stain line where the Weather Tech liner was. The carpet may look fuzzy after I`m cleaning it, but I think most stains if not all should come out.

If I need to do that I just pull the nozzle off. But that hardly ever happens and certainly not when doing the interior of a vehicle.

For some reason, it felt like I had more suction with the Craftsman attachment then just the hose by itself. I just it once quick. I need more time using the hose attachment to make a good decision if it was worth it or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    So my googling sucks lately, I have the Rigid car kit hose and lost both end pieces so I can`t connect it to my Metro Vac N Blo and I gotta jerry rig attachments I hook to it. Of course they don`t sell either separately. These SHOULD be easy things to find from another company. But all I`m finding online is for hooking smaller attachments to a bigger hose. I need something that`s the reverse of this. Would anyone be able to give me a name I can search on Google? A kit of all adapters would be awesome as I have like 10 attachments in what seem to be every conceivable size lol. I`ll buy the Mr Nozzle someone brought up in a few months looking for something cheap to get me by until then though.
    I`m not sure if you found anything yet. I`m not sure what size attachments your using. If you Google say 2 1/2 to 1 1/4 vacuum adapters a few adapters pop up. Whatever you decide read the reviews first. A lot adapters aren`t the same size as advertise or manufacturing defect. I think this is why I can;t find something that fits properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    I watched a Fed Ex driver trip on my first step of the porch as he was walking into the backyard. Some people just don`t pay attention...
    If I were in a certain mood I`d post something about a lack of Darwinism and people who are, as my in-laws put it, "too dumb to live". Hey, I nearly died from not watch where I was walking, learned that lesson and never forgot it; daily life can be dead-serious, literally.

..How big is your [currrent Detailing] garage? At Toyota it was tight. The German dealership was 1 spot right in front of the garage..
    The shop floor is about 40` x 50` or so (some space lost for bathroom and spiral staircase to loft-office). Heh heh, I really oughta know for certain but I don`t

Pretty BIG for a residential garage, but tiny compared to what I had before (ex-Ford dealership building where we had our used-car dealership).

Seems odd that the those dealerships would be cramped for space, not that I know from such stuff. Back in the day when I did new-car prep we had pretty much room, enough that I never gave it any thought even with the rotaries (think "potential sling on other new cars").

..My undercarriage cleaner is running it through the touch less automatic car wash. I can`t use jack stands on my asphalt driveway..
    That`s still a lot better than nothing!

On asphalt I put wood under the stands, or at least I did that I was a kid the `60s and I had to jack up the family riding mower to service it. (current place is all-concrete.)

I generally use a pair of floorjacks and then prop those up with the stands instead of actually putting the cars *on* the stands. Maybe half-@$$/dangerous but that`s what I do (easily passed my what-if-test, caught things just fine). If I`m not really going very far underneath I just jack `em up with no stands at all, but I`ll only do that if I`m certain the undercarriage isn`t really dirty.

..The owners think he doing a great job. No one will stand up to that manager, due to losing their job. Most service tech left Toyota to go to Honda dealership. Which 3 women owns. The Honda owners always says that they won`t be where they are if it wasn`t for their workers. Plus they pay good and treat their employees good..
    I`ve worked for [individuals] like that..not fun.

The Honda dealership sounds great! No surprise at all (well, to me) that it`s women-owned and that they treat their employees right. I simply love dealerships that do things the right way and (as I`ve posted) that`s prompted us to completely rethink/change what we drive more than once.

..As long as you`re within the warranty you shouldn`t have a problem. I didn`t have a receipt and they warranty the hose with no issue..
    What`s the warranty period, lifetime? Do I need a receipt? I looked through my file and couldn`t find it Heh heh, after the hassle of fixing it I`m kinda inclined to just keep using it now!

The plumber came down, put a meter on the hose. I was somewhere in 60`s PSI off the hose. I don`t know if I got good pressure now..
    Ours is higher than that (forget exactly what it is) without the pump, and in the low-90s with it. No, that hasn`t caused any problems with anything being over-pressurized.

..Most people put a stop on their credit card right after they cancel their membership. Stop them for automatic withdrawing money out of their account..
    Yeah, that`s the kind of hassle I don`t want to go through any more than I have to. I have a specific card for the few auto-charges, and those are with [entities] that I`m 100% OK with. Not sure what my wife does with her cards, but I figure that`s her business.

..I like doing things outside. The sun is going to soften the hose a little, make it easy wrapping it up. The sun doesn`t help to much when the extension retains its shape when it was wrap up..
    I guess I get all my outdoor time in between the dogs and the (*endless*) property-maintenance chores (hours and hours of it).

I guess I don`t really use my extension cords all that much, hardly ever in fact...but I can sure see how the wrong memory-effect could get frustrating! I have one that has an odd "reverse direction right here" segment and it does bug me that I can`t coil it the way I`d like and have it stay that way.

..A professional detailers quoted her $600 to clean the inside, that includes carpets cleaning, upholstery cleaning with a extractor. She just walk out the door.

She doesn`t put cleaning her SUV on any priority list to do...
    Well, I`m sure not gonna say she needs to be different, to each their own! My wife`s best friend is like that, doesn`t do a *THING* to her leased SUV (lots of pets in that thing all the time), just has the dealer do it during scheduled maintenance (they do it for free). It does surprise me that she doesn`t get dinged when she turns `em in (awful condition by Autopian standards, just...awful), but they never do, never even say a word about it.

I used to be like this to. Once someone sat on a moldy BK Whooper on the back seat of my car. The reaction was funny.
    Heh heh, complete opposite here, I`ve always been *really* tidy, even as a young child (like, I was cleaning up after myself long before kindergarten). Good thing since my parents weren`t the types to clean up after somebody else.
    Thanks carnage thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think a boars hair brush will work or leather brush?
    I`d use whichever one is the most gentle, even if it seems *too* gentle. I have a "Velour Brush" from ValuGard that I`d use (really pricey thing, but I`m glad Ron Ketcham talked me into it).
    For a mild cleaner, I`m think Folex.
    I`ve never tried it, but people I respect think it`s good.

There`s a stain line where the Weather Tech liner was. The carpet may look fuzzy after I`m cleaning it, but I think most stains if not all should come out..
    Well, see how it goes...sometimes you get lucky, other times, well...not. Fingers crossed that it works out!

For some reason, it felt like I had more suction with the Craftsman attachment then just the hose by itself..
    Yeah, the smaller orifice of the nozzle will help in that regard compared to the bigger opening of the hose. It`s a trade-off..

Post Thanks / Like

If I were in a certain mood I`d post something about a lack of Darwinism and people who are, as my in-laws put it, "too dumb to live". Hey, I nearly died from not watch where I was walking, learned that lesson and never forgot it; daily life can be dead-serious, literally.
    Look like these people could use B12 vitamins.

The shop floor is about 40` x 50` or so (some space lost for bathroom and spiral staircase to loft-office). Heh heh, I really oughta know for certain but I don`t
    How many cars/SUV can you fit? Your garage is bigger than most detailing shop in this area.

Seems odd that the those dealerships would be cramped for space, not that I know from such stuff. Back in the day when I did new-car prep we had pretty much room, enough that I never gave it any thought even with the rotaries (think "potential sling on other new cars").
    At Toyota the service bays keep on expanding while the detailing area shrinks. The interior cleaning area is somewhere else on the property. No clue where it is.

The body shop was down stairs. Along with storage.

The German dealership (VW, Audi, Porsche) the detailing was a trial to see how much money it brings in.

On asphalt I put wood under the stands, or at least I did that I was a kid the `60s and I had to jack up the family riding mower to service it. (current place is all-concrete.)
    Wood crushes to easy. I tried it already.

In Massachusetts asphalt has recycle tires, glass, and other recycle material. This make asphalt weak.

I generally use a pair of floorjacks and then prop those up with the stands instead of actually putting the cars *on* the stands. Maybe half-@$$/dangerous but that`s what I do (easily passed my what-if-test, caught things just fine). If I`m not really going very far underneath I just jack `em up with no stands at all, but I`ll only do that if I`m certain the undercarriage isn`t really dirty.
    I read people putting steel plates under jack stands, jacks to prevent holes.

Once I tried my friends big Lincoln Town Car on stands. The stands sunk a 1/2" into the asphalt.

The Honda dealership sounds great! No surprise at all (well, to me) that it`s women-owned and that they treat their employees right. I simply love dealerships that do things the right way and (as I`ve posted) that`s prompted us to completely rethink/change what we drive more than once.
    The 3 ladies new nothing about running a dealership. They learn as they go. Now that dealership is award winning dealership, one of the best in that area.

What`s the warranty period, lifetime? Do I need a receipt? I looked through my file and couldn`t find it Heh heh, after the hassle of fixing it I`m kinda inclined to just keep using it now!
    The warranty should say on the cardboard wrapper. Mine was 7 or 10 years. Swan does have lifetime warranty hoses.

I didn`t need a receipt. All I did was take a picture of the hose with the end cut off with the wrapper that shows the UPC, warranty, and the overall wrapper. In 2 to 3 weeks I had a new hose. You could try calling them about a warranty claim. You have nothing to lose.

Ours is higher than that (forget exactly what it is) without the pump, and in the low-90s with it. No, that hasn`t caused any problems with anything being over-pressurized.
    I may have slightly higher PSI without the hose hooked up. I think for this area 40 to 100 PSI is the normal range.

Yeah, that`s the kind of hassle I don`t want to go through any more than I have to. I have a specific card for the few auto-charges, and those are with [entities] that I`m 100% OK with. Not sure what my wife does with her cards, but I figure that`s her business.
    I don`t blame you. Do you have alerts on the card?

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I don`t really use my extension cords all that much, hardly ever in fact...but I can sure see how the wrong memory-effect could get frustrating! I have one that has an odd "reverse direction right here" segment and it does bug me that I can`t coil it the way I`d like and have it stay that way.
    When wrapping the garden hose and extension cords I still have to wrap the cords, hose, forward and backwards. The thicker cord are the worst.

I most use the extension cords for hedge trimming. plus if my gas blower isn`t working I`ll will use the Metro Sidekick to blow out the driveway, walkway.

Well, I`m sure not gonna say she needs to be different, to each their own! My wife`s best friend is like that, doesn`t do a *THING* to her leased SUV (lots of pets in that thing all the time), just has the dealer do it during scheduled maintenance (they do it for free). It does surprise me that she doesn`t get dinged when she turns `em in (awful condition by Autopian standards, just...awful), but they never do, never even say a word about it.
    Since the Envoy mostly sit they really don`t use it. The Tahoe is the daily driver, so it get the most attention. Nothing like what you will do.

Heh heh, complete opposite here, I`ve always been *really* tidy, even as a young child (like, I was cleaning up after myself long before kindergarten). Good thing since my parents weren`t the types to clean up after somebody else.
    The funniest part was he found a tomatoes stuck to his butt.

I was brought during chores all the time, a little to much. I think that why I went through the being a slob phase.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d use whichever one is the most gentle, even if it seems *too* gentle. I have a "Velour Brush" from ValuGard that I`d use (really pricey thing, but I`m glad Ron Ketcham talked me into it).
    I Googled the brush. All I found was the ValuGard Velour Spotting Brush for $17.99.

Can a extractor work on headliners?

Well, see how it goes...sometimes you get lucky, other times, well...not. Fingers crossed that it works out!
    When Spring come I going to do the all the carpets in SUV. It should work out fine, hopefully.

Yeah, the smaller orifice of the nozzle will help in that regard compared to the bigger opening of the hose. It`s a trade-off..
    My first time using the Craftsman nozzle was different. Nothing like the crevice tool.

If it doesn`t work out for vacuuming the car carpet then I`ll used it around the house.

If you`re wondering why I separate the post is because I take too long to reply. Everything get erase. I just there a time limit on replying.

Post Thanks / Like

I most use the extension cords for hedge trimming. plus if my gas blower isn`t working..
    Ah, OK, now I get it. Didn`t occur to me as my Lawn/Garden stuff is almost all gas-powered. I only get out the extension cords in the shop if I`m doing something like correction, stuff I hardly ever have to do.

I`ll will use the Metro Sidekick to blow out the driveway, walkway...
    Gee, it`s *that* powerful?!? Maybe my walks/drive are different...but then I`m blowing them and the deck off with the backpack blower at least weekly anyhow.

Since the Envoy mostly sit they really don`t use it. The Tahoe is the daily driver, so it get the most attention. Nothing like what you will do.//
    OK, makes sense. And I bet nobody in their right mind would do what I do unless they have a *VERY* good reason to..or at least I hope not! I have to keep these things alive indefinitely, and with something like my Tahoe, which I got as basically a junker, that`s a tall order.

..I was brought during chores all the time, a little to much. I think that why I went through the being a slob phase..
    Huh...I went the other way but then I was pretty much always like that even as a *really* little kid, probably would`ve driven different parents nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

I Googled the brush. All I found was the ValuGard Velour Spotting Brush for $17.99.//
    I bet that`s the one.
    Can a extractor work on headliners?
    I`d be afraid to try that unless it was a desperate last-resort situation. The extractor will almost *certainly* get things far too wet. I see a very high likelihood of it ruining the headliner, as in...must replace before driving it again.

When Spring come I going to do the all the carpets in SUV. It should work out fine, hopefully..
    Fingers crossed that the stains won`t have set too much by then. Heh heh..hey, the worst that could happen is that it`ll be stained-but-clean like the light gray carpet in my Tahoe (utterly ruined long before I got it).

My first time using the Craftsman nozzle was different. Nothing like the crevice tool.

If it doesn`t work out for vacuuming the car carpet then I`ll used it around the house..
    By the time you`re my age you might have a collection of such things just as I do

If you`re wondering why I separate the post is because I take too long to reply. Everything get erase. I just there a time limit on replying.
    Ah, yeah..I kinda figured it was something like that. No worries, makes it easier for me to keep things organized when replying..especially since we`re really keeping this thread going Hey, lots of good stuff is coming up, good discussion IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Look like these people could use B12 vitamins...
    And some Mindful Living seminars

..How many cars/SUV can you fit? Your garage is bigger than most detailing shop in this area.
    Gee, I don`t know! With four in there I can wash/etc. without overspray getting on the others, but when I had more it was a PIA. Fortunately we have the original garage (built into the house) that can hold two or three.

But yeah, it`s rather spacious. Eh, my wife and I sorta went nuts with the whole "build the Big House with the Big Garage"

..At Toyota the service bays keep on expanding while the detailing area shrinks. The interior cleaning area is somewhere else on the property..The German dealership (VW, Audi, Porsche) the detailing was a trial to see how much money it brings in..
    Since (IME) nobody IRL cares about such stuff I guess it makes sense for dealerships to prioritize other stuff.

Wood crushes to easy. I tried it already...In Massachusetts asphalt has recycle tires, glass, and other recycle material. This make asphalt weak...I read people putting steel plates under jack stands, jacks to prevent holes.

Once I tried my friends big Lincoln Town Car on stands. The stands sunk a 1/2" into the asphalt..
    Huh! Guess it *is* the [crappy] asphalt as I`ve never had problems with using (the right kind of) plywood.

..The 3 ladies new nothing about running a dealership. They learn as they go. Now that dealership is award winning dealership, one of the best in that area.
    Man, I`d love to have more dealerships like that in my area! I honestly believe that most (smart) women just *process* differently from men, and usually better. The best dealership Departments (of all kinds) I`ve ever dealt with were generally run by women. My boss back when I was in New Car Prep was a gal, and she was great.

The [Swan] warranty should say on the cardboard wrapper. Mine was 7 or 10 years. Swan does have lifetime warranty hoses.

I didn`t need a receipt. All I did was take a picture of the hose with the end cut off with the wrapper that shows the UPC, warranty, and the overall wrapper. In 2 to 3 weeks I had a new hose. You could try calling them about a warranty claim. You have nothing to lose...
    Ah, thanks for nudging me to look into that, sounds like it might be well worth the trouble after all! See why I like the way this thread keeps going?!?

..I may have slightly higher PSI without the hose hooked up. I think for this area 40 to 100 PSI is the normal range.
    Heh heh, that`s quite a broad range! The seemingly minor diffs are really significant at the higher pressures, at least IME. Like...from 80 to low-90s is a dramatic diff.

... Do you have alerts on the card?
    NO. I did, but they drove me nuts by putting holds/must-verify/etc. on the wrong cards at the wrong moments. I do better just keeping a near-daily eye on the two cards I have (one of which basically never gets used). Whenever I`ve had a hack/etc. they (Chase) has been great about it, no hassles at all other than getting the new card number memorized and notifying the very few who have it on file.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, OK, now I get it. Didn`t occur to me as my Lawn/Garden stuff is almost all gas-powered. I only get out the extension cords in the shop if I`m doing something like correction, stuff I hardly ever have to do.
    I use the extension cord for my Shop Vac, polishers, Sidekick.

I just bought new gas powered lawn equipment, but my hedge trimmer is still corded. I prefer corded hedge trimmer over gas powered trimmer. I`m thinking of trying battery powered trimmer next, like Milwaukee.

Gee, it`s *that* powerful?!? Maybe my walks/drive are different...but then I`m blowing them and the deck off with the backpack blower at least weekly anyhow.
    It`s not that powerful but does the job. Anything that`s stuck on I have to hand remove it or I may have to sweep first. A lot of squatting down.

OK, makes sense. And I bet nobody in their right mind would do what I do unless they have a *VERY* good reason to..or at least I hope not! I have to keep these things alive indefinitely, and with something like my Tahoe, which I got as basically a junker, that`s a tall order.
    The Envoy is neglected. Sometimes it`ll sit for months with flat tires.

You have to keep your vehicles in neat appearance for the detailing business, kind of like advertisement.

Huh...I went the other way but then I was pretty much always like that even as a *really* little kid, probably would`ve driven different parents nuts.
    I did a lot of chores when I was younger, that I got sick of doing chores. I hated doing chores. As I got older it was my decision to clean or not. Hanging around people that like to keep their vehicles clean rub off on me. I grew out of that stage.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet that`s the one.
    It`s the only one I can find. Unless it has been discontinued.

I`d be afraid to try that unless it was a desperate last-resort situation. The extractor will almost *certainly* get things far too wet. I see a very high likelihood of it ruining the headliner, as in...must replace before driving it again.
    I seen videos of people using clothes to remove stains and dry the headliners. Will the mechanical action of rubbing the headliner detach the headliner cloth material?

Fingers crossed that the stains won`t have set too much by then. Heh heh..hey, the worst that could happen is that it`ll be stained-but-clean like the light gray carpet in my Tahoe (utterly ruined long before I got it).
    I have light gray carpets. I thinking of pre-spotting the carpets first with cleaners. I was thinking Meguiars D101 but it not low foaming.

Worst case scenario the Weather Tech cover the stain, somewhat.

By the time you`re my age you might have a collection of such things just as I do
    To late, the collection starting to get a little out of hand.

Ah, yeah..I kinda figured it was something like that. No worries, makes it easier for me to keep things organized when replying..especially since we`re really keeping this thread going Hey, lots of good stuff is coming up, good discussion IMO.
    I can`t get used to 2 hands typing. It takes me longer to type. Plus I do other things that I have to step away from the computer.

Breaking things up does make it easier.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information