Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shop Vac hose upgrade question.

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    How many hoses do you have and use during detailing? I use one for everything. The spare hose is just sitting on the shelf, in its original package, unopen...
    I always have one new/unused hose in waiting, just in case.

I use four hoses. Two on each side of the wash bay; one for rinsing and the other for the foamgun/pressure washer/CRS/undercar wand/etc. (but usually just the foamgun).

Having two foamguns and two rinse hoses makes the wash go *SO MUCH* easier, zero comparison to trying to get by with fewer, but that`s just me and how I wash.
    I was using a Swan hose.. Swan replace it under the 7 year warranty.
    I like that the Swans I have are red, easy to differentiate from the black ones for the Rinse hoses.
    Is garden hoses the same as vacuum hoses? The longer they`re the less water pressure they would be.
    Not that I`ve noticed. Consider that the length of hose could just be extra length in the plumbing. Oddly enough, the sillcocks on the "far" end of the shop (farthest from where the waterline to the shop connects) have slightly better water delivery characteristics (pressure/volume/whatever..). No, I can`t explain it, but the diff is minimal.

They also have the cone style hollow tube attachments...That is it fit to the hose, and accessories. A few reviews were complaining about fitment issue..
    Eh, IMO people aren`t really justified in complaining, it`s not gonna fit/suit/please everybody and it`s always a gamble unless you can test-fit before buying.

I try to buy items local to me. This way I can see what I`m buying.
    Good way to go when you can.
    I don`t buy enough items through Amazon to purchase a Prime membership.
    I wlll say that my wife gets her money`s worth and then some.

Is cutting it the only option? I don`t trust myself with X-Acto knife. If using it on keeping extension cords wrap up I`ll end up cutting the cord...
    Yes, gotta cut it off. That`s a *good thing* as you want it really tight on whatever it`s sealing. It`s *EASY* to cut it off without going too far/deep. Really, you`d be surprised. And once you`ve cut away ~80% of it you can usually peel away the rest.

Consider the self-amalgamating tape to be a permanent repair that you can undo if desired. It`s definitely *NOT* for something that you`ll be taking apart regularly.
    Good thing I have a roll of velcro, somewhere.
    Much better for things that get taken apart.

[COLOR=#333333]Most of her dogs live to about 14 years old. One died from old age, the other 2 died from Cancer. The dogs were her kids...
    Our dogs are as close to kids as we`re gonna get too. Depending on the breed, 14 is a pretty ripe old age, none of ours have made it that long.
    The Envoy will get clean as planned, but it won`t be for hauling dogs anymore. Most likely it will be traded in down the road, but not anytime soon.
    Probably good to have a dedicated dog-hauler what with all that fur!
    Thanks carnage thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I use four hoses. Two on each side of the wash bay; one for rinsing and the other for the foamgun/pressure washer/CRS/undercar wand/etc. (but usually just the foamgun).
    Do you find the hoses getting in your way?

Does it take more time setting up with 4 hoses, laying the hoses out and wrapping the hoses back up?

Having two foamguns and two rinse hoses makes the wash go *SO MUCH* easier, zero comparison to trying to get by with fewer, but that`s just me and how I wash.
    Do you have a helper? To me it seems like a lot of work, if you by yourself.

At the Toyota dealership I used to work, I ask one of the detailer how long does he have per car. He reply, he get paid per car, and have 20 minutes to wash, mild compound, all in one product for the finish. He also said, it`s not the type of work he like putting on customers car, but it`s his job.

I like that the Swans I have are red, easy to differentiate from the black ones for the Rinse hoses.
    My net hose I think it`s going to be Flexzilla. The brighter green stands out more than black.

Their goes my Craftsman hose lifetime warranty. My hose isn`t in production anymore, along with the hose nozzle.

Not that I`ve noticed. Consider that the length of hose could just be extra length in the plumbing. Oddly enough, the sillcocks on the "far" end of the shop (farthest from where the waterline to the shop connects) have slightly better water delivery characteristics (pressure/volume/whatever..). No, I can`t explain it, but the diff is minimal.
    The house has a front back hose sillcock. The front sillcock is closer to where the water line comes into the house. I don`t see much of a different between the 2 sillcock. I have a frost proof sillcock in the rear. Being frost proof I don`t know if it decrease the pressure.

Good way to go when you can.
    I can buy from a place with a good return policy.

I wlll say that my wife gets her money`s worth and then some.
    Probably when or if Amazon has a Prime sale I`ll get a membership then.

Yes, gotta cut it off. That`s a *good thing* as you want it really tight on whatever it`s sealing. It`s *EASY* to cut it off without going too far/deep. Really, you`d be surprised. And once you`ve cut away ~80% of it you can usually peel away the rest.
    It seem like it`s not a good idea using it for extension cords or garden hoses for storage. I know I would cut through something when removing the F4 tape.

Consider the self-amalgamating tape to be a permanent repair that you can undo if desired. It`s definitely *NOT* for something that you`ll be taking apart regularly.
    As you mentioned it`s good for plumbing. Something that someone want a (semi) permanent repair done.

I get it, once it stick to itself leave it.

Our dogs are as close to kids as we`re gonna get too. Depending on the breed, 14 is a pretty ripe old age, none of ours have made it that long.
    Probably good to have a dedicated dog-hauler what with all that fur!
    Since my sister friend with the Envoy is the one with the 3 dogs, that all pass away. She feel that she won`t need another dogs hauler.

She had 3 Pitbulls. All had fine fur. The fur issue in the Envoy is from years of neglect, plus slobber. She want the fur cleaned up and smelling fresh in the SUV.

Since I having seen the Envoy in awhile it maybe in worst shape than than I remember.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you find the hoses getting in your way?

Does it take more time setting up with 4 hoses, laying the hoses out and wrapping the hoses back up?
    Not in the way and they`re pretty close to "set up, ready to go" all the time. The ones on the "near wall" get laid out length-wise near the wall and the ones from the "far wall" get coiled up on the floor just back from the mid-point of the shop. I just turn on the sillcocks and grab the nozzle-end of the hose and I`m in business.

..Do you have a helper? To me it seems like a lot of work, if you by yourself...
    No helper, and yeah it`s work! If I work *really* fast and don`t waste any time at all I can usually do a "quick maintenance wash" in under six hours, at least on the easier ones. But consider that I`ve been doing it for decades, every time I wash anything, and I used to do at least two cars every week (for over 25 years). Do something often enough and you can get used to it.
    At the Toyota dealership I used to work, I ask one of the detailer how long does he have per car. He reply, he get paid per car, and have 20 minutes to wash, mild compound, all in one product for the finish. He also said, it`s not the type of work he like putting on customers car, but it`s his job.
    Sorry to hear he has to compromise his values in order to do his job That`d never work for me long-term, but that`s just me.

I figure that`s the way most Dealership guys probably are. I was very unpopular with my co-workers at the MOPAR dealership because I did it right even if it meant coming in early/staying late/working through lunch..."dream employee" in the eyes of the owner, dream job in my eyes..cleaning brand-new cars! Loved it But it wasn`t a *career* for me, it was a summer job for a teenage kid.

When we had the used-car dealership the guy doing most of the Detailing was expected to do a decent job (and I could always DIY it if he was in over his head), but that wasn`t a high-volume place like a Toyota store by a long shot! Boy, I`d just go nuts if my business depended on production-line Detailing, that`d be a big challenge all right.

..My net hose I think it`s going to be Flexzilla. The brighter green stands out more than black.

Their goes my Craftsman hose lifetime warranty. My hose isn`t in production anymore, along with the hose nozzle...
    Hope you like the Flexzilla! Black works for me (for the rinse hoses) since I have a gray floor, but I can sure see green showing up too.

Yeah on the Sears issues The garage washing machine`s replacement under their Maintenance Program is proving a big headache.

..The house has a front back hose sillcock. The front sillcock is closer to where the water line comes into the house. I don`t see much of a different between the 2 sillcock. I have a frost proof sillcock in the rear. Being frost proof I don`t know if it decrease the pressure...
    My indoor ones (like in the Shop) are frost-proof and I guess I`ve never noticed any issues...BUT I have a booster pump as the expanded house + Shop is a bit much for our water delivery system (and we didn`t want to tear the house apart any more than we already did to fix it right).

But even when I have the booster pump turned off, I don`t really see any diffs based on which sillcocks/faucets I use from one end of the place to the other.

..I can buy from a place with a good return policy.
    That`s great, oughta give you some good peace-of-mind there.

..Probably when or if Amazon has a Prime sale I`ll get a membership then.
    Just gotta do the math and see if it`s worth it. It is for my wife, probably would *not* be for me.

..It seem like it`s not a good idea using it for extension cords or garden hoses for storage. I know I would cut through something when removing the F4 tape..
    I agree! That sounds like "yeah, it`ll work, but...." kind of things that people do for goofy reasons.

As you mentioned it`s good for plumbing. Something that someone want a (semi) permanent repair done.

I get it, once it stick to itself leave it.
    Right! Just gotta check it now and then, though I can`t recall ever having to redo it for a plumbing fix. The trick is to really *STRETCH* it during application and to use a lot more than you think you oughta need.

..Since my sister friend with the Envoy is the one with the 3 dogs, that all pass away. She feel that she won`t need another dogs hauler.

She had 3 Pitbulls. All had fine fur. The fur issue in the Envoy is from years of neglect, plus slobber. She want the fur cleaned up and smelling fresh in the SUV.

Since I having seen the Envoy in awhile it maybe in worst shape than than I remember.
    Hope the Envoy isn`t *that* bad!

That`s too bad about all her dogs passing (I`m a great lover of Pits). Maybe she`ll want another after a while. My wife and I sure would! Pits are *so* personable that I bet she`ll get another unless there`s some other factor in play.

The "fine fur" is indeed a different type of challenge compared to longer. Our Beaucerons have *both* types and it makes for a bit of work, which is why I just do the dog-haulers quick/dirty/better than nothing after every use (and then do `em properly after a wash). The slobber is *MUCH* easier to deal with that way, only takes a few minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Not in the way and they`re pretty close to "set up, ready to go" all the time. The ones on the "near wall" get laid out length-wise near the wall and the ones from the "far wall" get coiled up on the floor just back from the mid-point of the shop. I just turn on the sillcocks and grab the nozzle-end of the hose and I`m in business.
    My sillcock is in the middle of the house. For me to wash the car I have to maneuver the hose around the car to hose off the farthest side.

Do you use 1 extension cord? Plug and unplug into different outlets as you go along.

No helper, and yeah it`s work! If I work *really* fast and don`t waste any time at all I can usually do a "quick maintenance wash" in under six hours, at least on the easier ones. But consider that I`ve been doing it for decades, every time I wash anything, and I used to do at least two cars every week (for over 25 years). Do something often enough and you can get used to it.
    Once you get a certain technique or system down, it become natural to do the work.

At the dealership they`re always changing something to make production go faster. The detailer guys are gone by 1 o`clock, work 6 days a week.

I figure that`s the way most Dealership guys probably are. I was very unpopular with my co-workers at the MOPAR dealership because I did it right even if it meant coming in early/staying late/working through lunch..."dream employee" in the eyes of the owner, dream job in my eyes..cleaning brand-new cars! Loved it But it wasn`t a *career* for me, it was a summer job for a teenage kid.

Most dealerships, auction house like to hire college kids. They`re gone in the fall when thing slow down a little.

At Toyota most detailer don`t stay long.

When we had the used-car dealership the guy doing most of the Detailing was expected to do a decent job (and I could always DIY it if he was in over his head), but that wasn`t a high-volume place like a Toyota store by a long shot! Boy, I`d just go nuts if my business depended on production-line Detailing, that`d be a big challenge all right.

If the detailer is slow they tied up the line. Then they would have to juggle the cars around the slow people. As a service tech I sometimes have to go over to the detailing bays and move cars around. It slow down everyone. The more the workers does the harder management push for more.

Hope you like the Flexzilla! Black works for me (for the rinse hoses) since I have a gray floor, but I can sure see green showing up too.

The only reason I mentioned Flexzilla is the hose gets a lot of good reviews. Also Continental hose get some good reviews.

Which hose brand do you use the most, that seems reliable to use on a daily basis?

To bad the Craftsman hoses has change. Not the same as what the hose used to be.

Yeah on the Sears issues The garage washing machine`s replacement under their Maintenance Program is proving a big headache.

When Sear stores starting closing down I stop buying any maintenance plan. The last Sears store in my area just closed down last year.

My Craftsman hose nozzle just sprung a leak. I had to call the manufacturer up, they sent me a o-ring kit. After I installed the o-ring kit I did a quick leak check. The kit seems to work. I find out more when weather get warmer.

My indoor ones (like in the Shop) are frost-proof and I guess I`ve never noticed any issues...BUT I have a booster pump as the expanded house + Shop is a bit much for our water delivery system (and we didn`t want to tear the house apart any more than we already did to fix it right).

Last year when I watering the grass, my neighbor was washing his cars. Every time he rinse the cars I would lose water pressure. I think, I need booster pump. The city like to control the pressure going to the houses.

Do you see any difference with the pump on and off without using any hose and/or nozzles?

That`s great, oughta give you some good peace-of-mind there.

Sometime to return an item it not as easy as the store claims. Plus waiting in line.

Post Thanks / Like

Continued

Just gotta do the math and see if it`s worth it. It is for my wife, probably would *not* be for me.
    Some people watches the free Prime movie or series.

I might try the free Prime trail, to see how it is. I read some people were complaining that they don`t receive there package within the 2 days.

I agree! That sounds like "yeah, it`ll work, but...." kind of things that people do for goofy reasons.
    Could also be, that they don`t know any better, or a roll of velcro isn`t easy to come by.

Right! Just gotta check it now and then, though I can`t recall ever having to redo it for a plumbing fix. The trick is to really *STRETCH* it during application and to use a lot more than you think you oughta need.
    My copper pipes are around 2" from the sink basin. When I wrapped the pipe I couldn`t wrap the duct tape tight. Either the tape kept on sticking to itself or the bottom of the sink. This repair job was probably be better off doing it with the F4 tape, since I`m working in a tight area, plus it doesn`t stick to anything around the work area.

Hope the Envoy isn`t *that* bad!
    Oh, Yes it is.

That`s too bad about all her dogs passing (I`m a great lover of Pits). Maybe she`ll want another after a while. My wife and I sure would! Pits are *so* personable that I bet she`ll get another unless there`s some other factor in play.
    She going through different emotions right. Only time can heal.

The "fine fur" is indeed a different type of challenge compared to longer. Our Beaucerons have *both* types and it makes for a bit of work, which is why I just do the dog-haulers quick/dirty/better than nothing after every use (and then do `em properly after a wash). The slobber is *MUCH* easier to deal with that way, only takes a few minutes.
    I was thinking of using my Shark Rocket with the mini motorized upholstery brush head. It should vacuum the fur. For what`s fur is left then I would have to use to Shop Vac with different attachments. Hopefully the Shark work good on fur. It would save me some time.

I don`t know if the dog slobber absorb into the seat foam. All the hard plastic are easy part.

What do you use on embedded dirt that is stuck into the fiber? I bought the Craftsman # CMXZVBE38690 attachment. I tried it yesterday for the first time. It was lifting the carpet off the floor. I have to find the best position to use the Craftsman attachment. I was using the crevice tool for most of the outer edges

Post Thanks / Like

Re: on topic

Attached Images Attached Images
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Re: on topic

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    Is it the Ridgid kit, or Ridgid parts on a Shop Vac?

My opening for the hose connecting to the canister is under 2 1/2" . Most Ridgid adapters needs a 2 1/2" opening. I read some people wrapped tape to build up the thickness, for a better fit.

What size vac is it? Look bigger than the vac I have.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s an old Shop Vac, 8 gallon, Quiet Series. Probably 15 yrs old, won`t die. I bought the extra large hose around the time I bought the vac. The hose came with the correct adapter and no tape or modification needed to get a tight, secure fit. The hose has been pretty much flawless. People that come over to use it (when they`re using up all my supplies) absolutely rave about it, say it`s the favorite part of their visit to my home.

It`s been durable, you can drive the car over it without ill-effect. It came from "mrnozzleinc" in Riverside CA. It`s well-made and in no way cheap/flimsy like the hose supplied with most vacs.

The kit I bought had the hose, a claw nozzle (picture) and the traditional narrow nozzle (picture) and the correct adapter for my Shop Vac. The adapter is simply a tight slip fit, the hose threads up (reverse thread) into the adapter. It`s all very secure. It get`s a lot of use. I don`t see any downside to it and can`t ever see myself using the Shop Vac without it or some equivalent hose. I keep an extra extension cord permanently connected to the Shop Vac so, between the long hose and the long cord, I can cover essentially any vehicle in my garage without connecting/re-connecting the vac.

Post Thanks / Like

My sillcock is in the middle of the house. For me to wash the car I have to maneuver the hose around the car to hose off the farthest side.
    Being me, I`d put a splitter on that one source and run two hoses off it. But hey, that`s just me and I`m all about redundant systems. Since my washes take so incredibly long and I`m working so hard, every moment and chance at convenience matters to me..

Do you use 1 extension cord? Plug and unplug into different outlets as you go along.
    If I use an extension cord I use one that`s long enough to reach wherever I`ll need it. LOTS of outlets all along all four walls, so plenty of options. As I keep saying, I`m awfully spoiled with this shop.

..Once you get a certain technique or system down, it become natural to do the work..

Yep, that`s why I think it`s normal to spend hours on the undercarriage every time.

..At the dealership they`re always changing something to make production go faster. The detailer guys are gone by 1 o`clock, work 6 days a week...
    Eh, different times I guess, compared with the 70s.

..Most dealerships, auction house like to hire college kids. They`re gone in the fall when thing slow down a little.
    Guess *that* hasn`t changed.

..At Toyota most detailer don`t stay long...
    The best dealership Detailers I`ve ever known were college kids. Really smart ones who actually did nice work. I let the guy at my Audi dealer do a few of our family`s cars and they were fine even by my standards.

If the detailer is slow they tied up the line. Then they would have to juggle the cars around the slow people. As a service tech I sometimes have to go over to the detailing bays and move cars around. It slow down everyone. The more the workers does the harder management push for more.
    I feel sorry for people who have to work under such conditions. No thanks.

..The only reason I mentioned Flexzilla is the hose gets a lot of good reviews. Also Continental hose get some good reviews.

Which hose brand do you use the most, that seems reliable to use on a daily basis?
    I don`t really have preferences in hoses. The two pairs in the shop are Swan and *OLD* (often-repaired) Griot`s ones, with a Gilmour that I sometimes use with the undercar wand and a smaller-diameter ?Gilmour? hooked up to the CRS.

All my hoses have been pretty reliable; I`ve had the same ones since forever and the only ones that need remotely frequent repairs are the Swans, which get abused something awful what with how I use the foamguns.
    To bad the Craftsman hoses has change. Not the same as what the hose used to be.
    I bet I`ve never used a newer Craftsman; mine are at least 20YO.

When Sear stores starting closing down I stop buying any maintenance plan. The last Sears store in my area just closed down last year.
    Same situation here, but I`ve kept the agreements on the refrigerators since they`re OLD (also..see a trend here?!?) and the whole "sealed refrigerant" thing can be problematic.

My Craftsman hose nozzle just sprung a leak. I had to call the manufacturer up, they sent me a o-ring kit. After I installed the o-ring kit I did a quick leak check. The kit seems to work. I find out more when weather get warmer.
    The only nozzles I use on a remotely regular basis are my Lonn "bend-to-flow" ones and the limited-flow one on the CRS. Otherwise I use plastic (female) quick-connects that have shutoffs. For some reason I simply love using those and greatly prefer them over a "real" nozzle. Heh heh, I must have over a dozen nozzles that sit here unused, including all my old Griot`s ones and a few of those that my dad had!

Last year when I watering the grass, my neighbor was washing his cars. Every time he rinse the cars I would lose water pressure. I think, I need booster pump. The city like to control the pressure going to the houses.

Do you see any difference with the pump on and off without using any hose and/or nozzles?
    It`s a big difference for me, but I bet most of that is related to the house/garage (we at least doubled the original and the water delivery just couldn`t cope. No, we didn`t "fix it right", spent enough as it was ).

Note that the booster pump, and it`s requisite holding tank/etc. is a pretty involved, and pricey, setup.

But I will say that what my neighbors do has zero effect on our water.

..Sometime to return an item it not as easy as the store claims. Plus waiting in line.
    Agree! And my time is pretty valuable to me so I`m kinda careful how I spend it.

Some people watches the free Prime movie or series...

We don`t watch much TV, but most of what we do watch is off that Prime channel via Roku.

I might try the free Prime trail, to see how it is. I read some people were complaining that they don`t receive there package within the 2 days..

I`ve debated doing that with NetFlix just to see a few things, but I worry that getting *off* it would be a bother. IF it takes them a while to get you online that could be a hassle unless you plan for it.

Could also be, that they don`t know any better, or a roll of velcro isn`t easy to come by.
    Heh heh, the things people don`t know continue to amaze me I got some Velcro *long* ago and doubt I`ll ever use it all, guess I`m glad I got it when I saw it.

My copper pipes are around 2" from the sink basin. When I wrapped the pipe I couldn`t wrap the duct tape tight. Either the tape kept on sticking to itself or the bottom of the sink. This repair job was probably be better off doing it with the F4 tape, since I`m working in a tight area, plus it doesn`t stick to anything around the work area.
    Yeah, the F4 oughta be much better!

She going through different emotions right. Only time can heal...
    Understood, different people deal with Loss differently. Sorry to hear the Envoy is so nasty though.

I was thinking of using my Shark Rocket with the mini motorized upholstery brush head...Hopefully the Shark work good on fur. It would save me some time.

Fingers crossed that it works OK!

I don`t know if the dog slobber absorb into the seat foam...
    Gee, I`ve never had so much slobber that it got into the *FOAM*!
    All the hard plastic are easy part.
    Which is why I use plastic to line as much as I can of the Tahoe`s interior, so I can just wipe it clean each time. I dunno if you can even get that stuff any more (got mine from HatchBag).
    What do you use on embedded dirt that is stuck into the fiber?
    On the *VERY* rare occasions I`ve had to deal with that, I used an extractor.

I bought the Craftsman # CMXZVBE38690 attachment...

Huh, I have one of those sets but I`ve never used it on a vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Great information but topic is very hard to read with the previous posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    It`s an old Shop Vac, 8 gallon, Quiet Series. Probably 15 yrs old, won`t die. I bought the extra large hose around the time I bought the vac. The hose came with the correct adapter and no tape or modification needed to get a tight, secure fit. The hose has been pretty much flawless. People that come over to use it (when they`re using up all my supplies) absolutely rave about it, say it`s the favorite part of their visit to my home.
    Does the 8 gallons tank matters compared to a larger tank, for better suction?

Awhile ago I brought my Shop Vac to the local Ace Hardware. They had 2 adapters kit one Craftsman the other Shop Vac. None of the adapters, connectors would fit my Shop Vac. The floor rep said could sand the bigger one to fit, but if I mess up there`s nothing I can do but trash it. Then the smaller one I could tape it to build up the thickness. All they said is I may have a oddball size, or a defect.

It`s been durable, you can drive the car over it without ill-effect. It came from "mrnozzleinc" in Riverside CA. It`s well-made and in no way cheap/flimsy like the hose supplied with most vacs.
    I Goggle Mr. Nozzle Inc, only a PDF file came up from Mr Nozzle.

The kit I bought had the hose, a claw nozzle (picture) and the traditional narrow nozzle (picture) and the correct adapter for my Shop Vac. The adapter is simply a tight slip fit, the hose threads up (reverse thread) into the adapter. It`s all very secure. It get`s a lot of use. I don`t see any downside to it and can`t ever see myself using the Shop Vac without it or some equivalent hose. I keep an extra extension cord permanently connected to the Shop Vac so, between the long hose and the long cord, I can cover essentially any vehicle in my garage without connecting/re-connecting the vac.

Is the kit model number M-100- DB?

Post Thanks / Like

Being me, I`d put a splitter on that one source and run two hoses off it. But hey, that`s just me and I`m all about redundant systems. Since my washes take so incredibly long and I`m working so hard, every moment and chance at convenience matters to me..
    I thought about moving the outside faucet closer to the driveway. I would have to talked to my friend since he a plumber about the pro/cons of moving it.

I had a meter reader walked by while I was washing the car. I told him watch out for the hose, which was bright yellow. He replied "Yep, I see it" but he still trip over it.
    I have to be careful where I place things.

If I use an extension cord I use one that`s long enough to reach wherever I`ll need it. LOTS of outlets all along all four walls, so plenty of options. As I keep saying, I`m awfully spoiled with this shop.
    It`s good that you planned ahead for your wants and needs.

This is why I`m asking these questions. I thinking where and how many outside faucets and electrical outlets I`ll need. I have to do detailing outside, unless the city allow us to pull a permit for a garage.

Yep, that`s why I think it`s normal to spend hours on the undercarriage every time.
    What do you do to the under carriage to spend hours? I don`t spend much time on the under carriage.

The best dealership Detailers I`ve ever known were college kids. Really smart ones who actually did nice work. I let the guy at my Audi dealer do a few of our family`s cars and they were fine even by my standards.
    Production work is never fun but what made it worse at Toyota was this 1 manager that anyone was good at their job left because of him, mostly service techs.

At the German dealership I worked for, when I left Toyota. The detailers had 3 hours to complete on car, wash & wax, and vacuum, quick wipe down of the interior. Plus the working was pleasant. The owner and family was great to work for but cheap.

All my hoses have been pretty reliable; I`ve had the same ones since forever and the only ones that need remotely frequent repairs are the Swans, which get abused something awful what with how I use the foamguns.
    I can`t say nothing bad about the Swan hose. When it burst, all I did was sent them a picture with the hose end cut off with the package it came in, so they can see the UPC number, plus model numbers. I had a new hose in 2 to 3 weeks.

I bet I`ve never used a newer Craftsman; mine are at least 20YO.
    My 100% rubber Craftsman hose are just over 10 years. Now Craftsman hose are some kind of hybrid. Hopefully they`re just as good as the rubber hoses.

The only nozzles I use on a remotely regular basis are my Lonn "bend-to-flow" ones and the limited-flow one on the CRS. Otherwise I use plastic (female) quick-connects that have shutoffs. For some reason I simply love using those and greatly prefer them over a "real" nozzle. Heh heh, I must have over a dozen nozzles that sit here unused, including all my old Griot`s ones and a few of those that my dad had!
    I like my Craftsman garden nozzle. That why I rebuilt it with new o-rings. If it didn`t work after the o-ring got replace them I would buy another one under the manufacturer name. I can;t find it under Craftsman anymore.

Note that the booster pump, and it`s requisite holding tank/etc. is a pretty involved, and pricey, setup.
    I thought the booster pump was just a pump in the water main feed line. With no tanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve debated doing that with NetFlix just to see a few things, but I worry that getting *off* it would be a bother. IF it takes them a while to get you online that could be a hassle unless you plan for it.
    My sister boyfriend started with Netflix then switch to streaming movie, series with the Roku stick.

I read online that with some people a paid subscription takes awhile for the cancellation to go through. The owner of the subscription is paying for a service they no longer have. Some people notified the credit card company to put a stop on the streaming service to stop withdrawing fund from the account.

Heh heh, the things people don`t know continue to amaze me I got some Velcro *long* ago and doubt I`ll ever use it all, guess I`m glad I got it when I saw it.
    When Spring comes I going to wrap velco strips on all my hoses, extension cords etc.

Gee, I`ve never had so much slobber that it got into the *FOAM*!
    Out of the few years that I knew her for, I only heard of her cleaning the Envoy once. One of the dogs were sick, and she didn`t want the dog to swallow a fur ball.

My only concern is cleaning the headliner without damaging it. When the dog shake their heads side to side the slobber goes flying everywhere.

Which is why I use plastic to line as much as I can of the Tahoe`s interior, so I can just wipe it clean each time. I dunno if you can even get that stuff any more (got mine from HatchBag).
    I seen the rolls of vinyl that people uses on carpets in hallways or main traffic area to protect the carpets. I not sure if this is what your talking about.

On the *VERY* rare occasions I`ve had to deal with that, I used an extractor.
    When temperatures warm up a bit I`m going to try the Bissell LGM. When I took out the Weather Tech I`ve seen some stains on the carpets I want to get rid of.

Huh, I have one of those sets but I`ve never used it on a vehicle.
    The only reason I bought this nozzle because it had a larger opening than a crevice tool to vacuum up larger stuff.

So far I got the Yellow Jacket 12/3, 25 FT extension cord. Then I have the Ridgid flexible crevice tool on order. The one Stokdgs recommended.

Once I use this Shop Vac more I can see where its weakness is.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the 8 gallons tank matters compared to a larger tank, for better suction?

Awhile ago I brought my Shop Vac to the local Ace Hardware. They had 2 adapters kit one Craftsman the other Shop Vac. None of the adapters, connectors would fit my Shop Vac. The floor rep said could sand the bigger one to fit, but if I mess up there`s nothing I can do but trash it. Then the smaller one I could tape it to build up the thickness. All they said is I may have a oddball size, or a defect.

Carnage, in general, I`m going to guess the vac mfrs size the motor to the tank on a given vacuum. I don`t think you`re going to have any issues with a reduction in vacuuming ability when you go to a larger diameter hose.

That old Shop Vac I have was purchased from my local Ace Hdwe.

I think the best thing you can do is to contact Mr Nozzle and explain your situation and let them know what you believe the diameter is on your unit. I had absolutely no issue getting the correct parts the first time and they`ve worked perfectly since. I sent you the link via PM. (I don`t know their part numbers - - best for you to contact them.)
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

..I had a meter reader walked by while I was washing the car. I told him watch out for the hose, which was bright yellow. He replied "Yep, I see it" but he still trip over it...
    Sigh..people...

..It`s good that you planned ahead for your wants and needs...
    Still a lot of things I`d do differently

..This is why I`m asking these questions. I thinking where and how many outside faucets and electrical outlets I`ll need. I have to do detailing outside, unless the city allow us to pull a permit for a garage...
    Well, I guess you pick your battles. I`ve never not had garage facilities of one kind or another. Lacking those (even if we just downsize sometime), I`d probably just quit doing this Detailing stuff and lease something that I wouldn`t care about; the "disposable car" approach. And yeah, I really can imagine doing that sometime.

..What do you do to the under carriage to spend hours? I don`t spend much time on the under carriage.
    It just takes me that long to clean/inspect/dry everything. Getting in the tight spots takes some doing. Between that and the engine compartment I spend an awful lot of time on areas that I suspect most people don`t keep Autopian on a regular basis. The "regular panels" hardly take any time at all compared to all the areas "nobody sees" but to me those areas are actually far more important (in the functional sense).

..Production work is never fun but what made it worse at Toyota was this 1 manager that anyone was good at their job left because of him, mostly service techs...
    The wrong owner/manager has prompted us to replace all our vehicles, and more than once.

..I can`t say nothing bad about the Swan hose. When it burst, all I did was sent them a picture with the hose end cut off with the package it came in, so they can see the UPC number, plus model numbers. I had a new hose in 2 to 3 weeks..
    I just repaired mine. But thinking ahead, I did save all the packaging/etc. on the one I have as a spare and next time one dies I`ll go for a replacement.

..I thought the booster pump was just a pump in the water main feed line. With no tanks.
    The pump pressurizes the holding tank, which maintains constant (boosted) pressure. Gotta have shutoffs/bypasses/etc. if only for when the pump needs replaced. I forget the tank`s capacity, but it`s a big thing. The whole system wasn`t just $1K or anything, it was a pretty big deal.

.. I read online that with some people a paid subscription takes awhile for the cancellation to go through. The owner of the subscription is paying for a service they no longer have. Some people notified the credit card company to put a stop on the streaming service to stop withdrawing fund from the account...

I`d call VISA the instant they charged another month after I`d cancelled. Like...that morning, immediately.

When Spring comes I going to wrap velco strips on all my hoses, extension cords etc.

Huh, I`ve never seen a reason to do that, but that`s just me..

Out of the few years that I knew her for, I only heard of her cleaning the Envoy once...

Nor have it done by somebody?!? Gee...eh, to each their own, but I`ve never let *ANYTHING* in my life get nasty. Not even the inside of a trash can.

..One of the dogs were sick, and she didn`t want the dog to swallow a fur ball.
    Well, whatever motivates somebody, but still...

My only concern is cleaning the headliner without damaging it. When the dog shake their heads side to side the slobber goes flying everywhere..

Yikes, headliners can be fragile!

[quote]..I think the Hatchbag material is thicker than that. But that`s the general idea- have [something] between whatever you want to keep clean and whatever might soil it. And then clean that [something] every time you use it. Yes, every single time, without fail, no matter what. But everybody`s gonna have different priorities....

[COLOR=#333333]When temperatures warm up a bit I`m going to try the Bissell LGM. When I took out the Weather Tech I`ve seen some stains on the carpets I want to get rid of.
    [quote][COLOR=#333333]Hope it all comes clean. Some set-in stains are impossible to get out; my Tahoe`s carpet was ruined years before I got it It`s clean, but the stains are forever.

..The only reason I bought this nozzle because it had a larger opening than a crevice tool to vacuum up larger stuff.

If I need to do that I just pull the nozzle off. But that hardly ever happens and certainly not when doing the interior of a vehicle.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information