Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shop Vac hose upgrade question.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Billy Jack- Hey, that`s intriguing...can you close off that "side port" opening or the usual one at the end? Just wondering whether both are open all the time (easy enough to deal with, just curious).
    I`ve tried taping over the side opening at first, but with a decent power unit, both can stay open and you`ll still have more than enough suction to pick up about anything.
    I like the idea that you can rotate it on its side and do under the seats without changing attachments. Also, this thing is actually longer than you need for about any purpose. I pulled off the hard plastic end, cut the flexible part down a few inches, warmed it with hot water, then slid the end back on.
    It`s not my most used attachment, but it fills a need no others can.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Oh well, maybe that Shop Vac brush will be a good substitute.
    I was hoping you tried them in the past. I may have to pock a brush up.

One that`s cobbled together with pieces from a couple of those "mini-attachment" sets, including a piece of hose/tubing for when flexibility is handy. I can put the pieces together in whatever combo reaches where I need it. The regular Crevice Tool that came with the Hoover canister vac is generally good enough, but I *would indeed* be up a creek without the pieces from those mini kits.
    I have 3" to 8" crevice from different household vacuum I collected throughout the years. If I`m vacuuming under the seat I`ll move the seat all the way up then back. To get between the seat and the console I`ll use the longest crevice I have. If it not long enough I`ll add a floor extension tube for added each each.

I may have to pick up the long flexible crevice tool.

The F4 tape stretches...a *LOT*...and when you wrap things up tightly that stretching provides very tight seal once the tape has done it`s "self-vulcanizing" thing. I`ve sealed pretty high-pressure situations with it (no, not saying that`s always a good idea) and they stayed fixed for ages (still have some half-@$$ plumbing repairs that`re fine after many years, might *never* have to get `em fixed right).
    I get now. It stick to items by tension, not adhere to them like adhesive tape does.

The copper pipes under my sink I had to duct tape a leak until I can replace them properly. I don`t know if the F4 tape would of been better in this case.

Honestly, IMO that`s a product *EVERY HOUSEHOLD* oughta have. Incredible how many applications we find for it. I`m 100% confident you won`t be wasting your $ even if it sits on the shelf for a few years... before suddenly being just the thing to save the day. Just buy the stuff I won`t say that very often about anything, but IMO this stuff is at least as essential as Duct/Duck/Electrical tapes, and I sure wouldn`t want to be without any of those either.
    My next issue where I need tape I`ll pick up a roll of F4 tape. I been trying to replace thing as they break, not repair. A lot times I have to redue the repair over.

Maybe you and I want different levels of sprayer performance. My Bissells/Hoovers don`t spray nearly as potently as my Century...usually enough but not the same.
    Note I`m not wetting things *more*, just deeper.
    From my experience I find the Bissell LGM to spray deeper, I have to over wet the surface. There`s not enough pressure in the sprays to get deep down into the rug, carpets.

Nothing like a professional extractor.

I myself have little concern about the spray pattern; one of my adapted nozzles makes the sprayer awfully imprecise but that`s very seldom an issue. Though I can see how it would be when doing stuff inside a vehicle.
    I read to remove the nozzle to soak them to in a container, to remove any deposit, calcium. Maybe using a pin or needle to clean out the sprayer nozzle

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I bet 99% of my extracting is *NOT* vehicle-related...don`t you need to extract your household carpets/rugs a few times/year?
    I rip out most of my carpets. Under my carpets was oak hard wood floors.

One room has a area rug. No one uses that room. The parlor rug is big so if Its needs cleaning I`ll rent a machine. The only reason the parlor rug is still there, it`s protecting the oak flooring from something dropping items on it. I always take off my foot wear at the door, helps keep the floor cleaner longer. I`m going to resurface the floor eventually.

To bad their wasn`t a home improvement or woodworking thread.

IMO you`re on the right track about extractor vs. wet/dry with attachments. I did have one Sears setup that was *VERY* good, but a proprietary part broke and they`d discontinued it. My extractors do work much better, even though one or two of the older Bissells are really just wet/dry vacs with a sprayer (hey, they still work great even after decades of use too).
    How good does the extractor using the floor attachments work on household rugs/carpets versus the upright carpet cleaner?

I dunno...I`d pass but that`s just me. That adapter piece appeals to me more than the other bits.
    That was quick, Autogeek sold out on the kits.

I was looking for some feedback on those brushes/

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- Hey, those flexible Crevice Tools sound good!

Maybe somebody will find a source for `em, could be something else I didn`t know I can`t live without
    Ridgid also have a flexible crevice tool part number VT2532.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    The Shop Vac Brush part # 901800 looks like a good brush - I use the wording you used above, and found it on Amazon.. It is not triangular but it looks like it would be good for getting into tight places, perhaps even better than the Rigid Triangular brush I have also used, and worn a couple of them out.. It is unfortunate Rigid does not offer this brush separately.. But like all great Detailers, we have to be - Innovative - if we want to be the best..
    Amazon is where I got the part number from.

By the picture it appears the Shop Vac brand brushes has longer bristles. Does this mean the Ridgid brush has stiffer bristles, because there`re shorter?

You asked about Crevice tools - I absolutely use these every time I vacuum out every vehicle.. it is the only way to get in between most consoles and the seats, to that strip of carpet that is really hard sometimes to get from underneath.. This tool is also very good at getting that deep carpet area on the outside of the seats right next to the rocker panel you see when you open the door.. And of course I always use these same crevice tools underneath the seats to get that area that is always in the middle and just unreachable from other attachments..
    What do you use for larger area?

What do you think about the claw nozzle ? Found it on Amazon, part number 9196100.

The crevice tool I use the most is 14" long, and the bottom 4" of it is a hard section of flexible rubber that allows me to bend it there when needed to just reach that little piece of something that does not belong on that pristine black, clean, carpet..
    The Shop Vac brand flexible crevice tool is 14" long. Do you think you have the Shop Vac brand crevice tool? This one https://www.autopia-carcare.com/shop...l#.XkKQ6TJKjIU

When looking for the flexible crevice tool. How do I know if it hard or soft rubber?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH! So I spent 15 minutes in the vacuum section at Home Depot a few days ago. I have the Ridgid hose car kit, and someone lost my end connectors, they have 20 different attachments and a 3 pack of converters. But they don`t sell the ones that come in the kit separately. In the 3 pack EVERYTHING was reversed what I needed. I`m sure I could pick up the pieces I need somewhere on-line, but it`s madness how with everything they had in that isle nothing would work for me. I would literally send $200 to back a Kickstarter that came with a ton of attachments and all the needed hose converters. I wanted to also buy the Ridgid LED nozzle attachment which they sell in two different sizes. One fits a different model Rigid hose they sell, neither fits the car kit one though. And of course they don`t sell a converter I`m guessing the car kit comes with what I need, because I owned the LED nozzle and know I hooked it to my hose. I wonder why they don`t make it in a size that fits one of their own damn hoses without needing a converter? The car kit hose is 1 1/4 according to HD`s web site. Yet this attachment they call a "Locking LED Lighted Car Nozzle Accessory" doesn`t come in a size made for that hose. But it comes in a 1 7/8 size, which unless I`m stupid Rigid doesn`t even sell a hose in that size. At least not in store.
    This is something I want to avoid. Buying a attachments kit then buying a adapter kit. I need a kit to make another kit work, and the kits may not even work. Before I know it I will have enough money in kits to buy a more powerful, modern wet and dry vac.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    The copper pipes under my sink I had to duct tape a leak until I can replace them properly. I don`t know if the F4 tape would of been better in this case...
    IME there`s zero comparison; for a job like that the F4 would be incomparably better. That sounds similar to the "quick fixes" I did with the F4 over 5 years ago that`re still fine.

[quote]Nothing like a professional extractor...[quote]

That`s true for the spraying, but when it comes to just sucking up liquid, or even doing household stuff, it`s not always like that. And the pro extractors are awfully pricey!

..I read to remove the nozzle to soak them to in a container, to remove any deposit, calcium. Maybe using a pin or needle to clean out the sprayer nozzle
    I`ve hardly ever had to do that, but then I have water softeners (I don`t run distilled through mine, nor through the steamers).

..How good does the extractor using the floor attachments work on household rugs/carpets versus the upright carpet cleaner?
    Not as well as you`d expect! I figured the Century/Ninja would totally outperform the upright consumer-level carpet machines, but that`s simply *not* the case and I hardly *ever* use the Century in the house.

The upright is pretty marginal when I set it up with its hose attachments...just asking it to do something that *IMO* it`s not really geared towards. But when used like "an upright vacuum only one that sprays/sucks up solution and rinse water" it`s *GREAT*. We keep our carpets/rugs nice and clean despite living in a woods with big dogs who bring the outdoors inside through their dogdoor.

The uprights eventually break in a way that can`t be fixed (no replacement parts), but while they work I`m 100% satisfied. The latest (Hoover) doesn`t even have a heater, yet it performs great. Almost as easy as vacuuming too, and leaves the carpet much drier than the Century (and drier than the Pros ever did).

Those consumer-level upright extractors might look like toys, but IME some of them are downright wonderful. Just get one that has a separate tank for clear water rinsing, I consider that a must-have. I could live without the Century just fine, but when my last upright extractor died I ran straight out for a new one and am glad I did.
    Thanks carnage thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

What do people use brushes for on their vacuums? I do use Dusting Brush Attachments for a (very) few things around the house, but I can`t think of a single time I`ve used on on a vehicle...not once in my life. What am I missing?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazon is where I got the part number from.

By the picture it appears the Shop Vac brand brushes has longer bristles. Does this mean the Ridgid brush has stiffer bristles, because there`re shorter?

The Rigid attachment kit Triangular Brushes are not "stiff".. They are good for vacuuming but I would want a stiffer, nylon brush for carpet shampooing, like this brush -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/tuf-...l#.XkL4kzKQH3g This is an absolutely great tire cleaning and carpet cleaning brush.. It lasts years, has not problems with the bristles or rinsing, etc.. The shorter handle makes it much easier to maneuver inside the carpeted areas of a vehicle.. Its the only one I ever use since they were invented over 10 years ago.. I have lots of them and always buy one with an order because they are so inexpensive..

What do you use for larger area?

What do you think about the claw nozzle ? Found it on Amazon, part number 9196100.

For larger areas I use a small, rectangular shape nozzle, brush that is very short compared to that really long claw nozzle from Amazon.. Remember, if you are vacuuming out those little dropped or flat areas in the back seats of most vehicles, those big attachments might not let you get in all the places easier sometimes, so I have a bigger claw like nozzle(for the front seats and big areas if its an SUV) and a small nozzle I described, and the crevice tool with me to go all around the vehicle and only have to do this once..

The Shop Vac brand flexible crevice tool is 14" long. Do you think you have the Shop Vac brand crevice tool? This one https://www.autopia-carcare.com/shop...l#.XkKQ6TJKjIU

When looking for the flexible crevice tool. How do I know if it hard or soft rubber?
    It is not the Shop Vac Brand crevice tool. It looks very much like the Rigid crevice tool VT2532 sold at Home Depot for $13.67.. I just looked it up and there it was..

That darker color close to the end of this nozzle is a hard rubber non collapsible rubber that will allow you to bend that tool to get that crevice area of the carpet that you see when you open the door and look at the carpet that runs under the outside bottom edge part of the front seat, where it comes from the metal rocker panel and follows the curve of the interior floor down and then the carpet goes under the seat.. This flexible tool is just great for getting that skinny area down there that nothing else will be thin enough to reach..

Then at the back seat with the door open, that little area where the bottom back side of the seat meets that carpet area next to the rocker panel, it`s really small and the crevice tool can be gently pushed down there to get that little bit of stuff that collects there also..

The flexible area of these tools has to be flexible enough and then hard enough so it won`t collapse into itself by the suction of the vacuum.. I have never seen a crevice tool that was so soft at that joint that it was unuseable..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

IME there`s zero comparison; for a job like that the F4 would be incomparably better. That sounds similar to the "quick fixes" I did with the F4 over 5 years ago that`re still fine.
    Does the F4 tape break down over time?

I`m going to look over the weekend for the F4 tape at the local hardware store.

That`s true for the spraying, but when it comes to just sucking up liquid, or even doing household stuff, it`s not always like that. And the pro extractors are awfully pricey!
    Does the professional extractor have a higher water lift value, compared to the consumer extractor?

I`ve hardly ever had to do that, but then I have water softeners (I don`t run distilled through mine, nor through the steamers).
    Not here, A lot mineral ,calcium deposit.

The upright is pretty marginal when I set it up with its hose attachments...just asking it to do something that *IMO* it`s not really geared towards. But when used like "an upright vacuum only one that sprays/sucks up solution and rinse water" it`s *GREAT*. We keep our carpets/rugs nice and clean despite living in a woods with big dogs who bring the outdoors inside through their dogdoor.
    i had a old Hoover upright carper extractor. The Hoover clean better than any professional carpet cleaner company ever did. The motorized brush dud an excellent job

The down side is I had to wait a week to being the furniture back in the room.

The uprights eventually break in a way that can`t be fixed (no replacement parts), but while they work I`m 100% satisfied. The latest (Hoover) doesn`t even have a heater, yet it performs great. Almost as easy as vacuuming too, and leaves the carpet much drier than the Century (and drier than the Pros ever did).
    We use to have the carpet extractor repaired. Then parts became an issue, repairs cost keep going up. It was cheaper just buying a new one.

Those consumer-level upright extractors might look like toys, but IME some of them are downright wonderful. Just get one that has a separate tank for clear water rinsing, I consider that a must-have. I could live without the Century just fine, but when my last upright extractor died I ran straight out for a new one and am glad I did.
    The old Hoover had one tank with separate chamber, solution, dirty solution. If the rugs were bad the a extra rinse would be necessary. The Hoover was nice while it lasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    It is not the Shop Vac Brand crevice tool. It looks very much like the Rigid crevice tool VT2532 sold at Home Depot for $13.67.. I just looked it up and there it was..

That darker color close to the end of this nozzle is a hard rubber non collapsible rubber that will allow you to bend that tool to get that crevice area of the carpet that you see when you open the door and look at the carpet that runs under the outside bottom edge part of the front seat, where it comes from the metal rocker panel and follows the curve of the interior floor down and then the carpet goes under the seat.. This flexible tool is just great for getting that skinny area down there that nothing else will be thin enough to reach..

Then at the back seat with the door open, that little area where the bottom back side of the seat meets that carpet area next to the rocker panel, it`s really small and the crevice tool can be gently pushed down there to get that little bit of stuff that collects there also..

The flexible area of these tools has to be flexible enough and then hard enough so it won`t collapse into itself by the suction of the vacuum.. I have never seen a crevice tool that was so soft at that joint that it was unuseable..

Dan F
    How are these crevice tool on dog fur? My sister friend has 2 dogs and wants me the clean it out. Fur is everywhere.

Does the crevice tool flex enough to get into vents?

Have you tried this crevice tool on clothes dryer lint trap?

The Rigid attachment kit Triangular Brushes are not "stiff".. They are good for vacuuming but I would want a stiffer, nylon brush for carpet shampooing, like this brush -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/tuf-...l#.XkL4kzKQH3g This is an absolutely great tire cleaning and carpet cleaning brush.. It lasts years, has not problems with the bristles or rinsing, etc.. The shorter handle makes it much easier to maneuver inside the carpeted areas of a vehicle.. Its the only one I ever use since they were invented over 10 years ago.. I have lots of them and always buy one with an order because they are so inexpensive..
    I bought 2 of those brushes. When you recommended them before. One for interior, the other tires. I tried them on my Weather Tech liners with Meguiars D101. I have to wait for the weather to get warmer to use them more.

For larger areas I use a small, rectangular shape nozzle, brush that is very short compared to that really long claw nozzle from Amazon.. Remember, if you are vacuuming out those little dropped or flat areas in the back seats of most vehicles, those big attachments might not let you get in all the places easier sometimes, so I have a bigger claw like nozzle(for the front seats and big areas if its an SUV) and a small nozzle I described, and the crevice tool with me to go all around the vehicle and only have to do this once..
    Can you use the Ridgid crevice tool all around the whole interior without the length of the tool getting in your way?

Is there time when you need a shorter, stiffer crevice tool?

When you mentioned bigger claw like nozzle were you referring to the overall size (length) or diameter (bigger hose)?

Post Thanks / Like

Does the F4 tape break down over time?
    Not IME. The plumbing repairs I did with it are still 100% after many years. Heh heh, many years longer than I expected to put off having things fixed properly, but hey it`s holding up great.
    I`m going to look over the weekend for the F4 tape at the local hardware store.
    I doubt they`ll have it, but they might have another that`s similar. BUT not that the quality can vary greatly between brands..sorry, can`t recall the names of the ones that were inferior to the F4.

Look for tape called: self-vulcanizing or self-amalgamating.

[quote]..Does the professional extractor have a higher water lift value, compared to the consumer extractor? [?quote]

I can`t say, but I`d *expect* so. But my consumer ones have never proven insufficient. The Century leaves carpet awfully damp unless I run a different nozzle on it (one that undoubtedly overloads the motors but I don`t care). My wife was kinda the time I wheeled that big pro extractor into the house do do carpets only to switch to the one Bissell in order to get them sufficiently dry!

..[I deal with].. A lot mineral ,calcium deposit...
    Ah, OK..yeah, that can be a challenge if you get it get ahead of you. (My previous shop had terribly hard water that drove me nuts.)

..i had a old Hoover upright carper extractor. The Hoover clean better than any professional carpet cleaner company ever did. The motorized brush dud an excellent job

The down side is I had to wait a week to being the furniture back in the room...
    That "left it too damp" thing is one area where they`re *REALLY* made improvements! Zero way to exaggerate it. I did a quick-extracting of our Media Room early afternoon yesterday and it was almost 100% dry by evening. If I need things dry *right now* I go over it with the better of my Bissell canister-style extractors, which *does* get things nice and dry..but it`s a lot of extra work.

(Can you tell I have 30-some years worth of, uhm...accumulated...extractors around here?!? Total of five that are still working and the two Bissells are really, *really* old.)

We use to have the carpet extractor repaired. Then parts became an issue, repairs cost keep going up. It was cheaper just buying a new one.

..The old Hoover had one tank with separate chamber, solution, dirty solution. If the rugs were bad the a extra rinse would be necessary. The Hoover was nice while it lasted...
    That`s the kind my dad had (I auctioned it when he passed...no rinse tank = no thanks). I`m all about that separate clear-water rinsing, and/but might start using a Rinse Agent though I`m doing fine without it.

I bet you`d be pleasantly surprised by how much better today`s consumer extractors are. For household use, IMO they`re the [stuff].

Post Thanks / Like

How are these crevice tool on dog fur? My sister friend has 2 dogs and wants me the clean it out. Fur is everywhere...
    I dunno if a crevice tool is the thing for that. You might do better with something that, uhm..."rakes"/dislodges the hair like an upholstery attachment with rubber "fingers". But that won`t get into tight spots. Sometimes you can do those best with your hands, wearing latex/etc. gloves. I`ve also cut up a "Gonzo Pet Hair Sponge" and fitted the fragments to long sticks so I could reach down in tight spots and dislodge it. (Heh heh, dog-owner buys used vehicle and has to clean out previous owner`s doghair )
    Does the crevice tool flex enough to get into vents?
    Gee, you`d need a pretty small attachment to get into vents, wouldn`t you? I sure like that you`re interested in sucking stuff *out* of the vents instead of blowing it deeper down into them the way some people do.

Have you tried this crevice tool on clothes dryer lint trap?
    I ended up using a piece of plastic tubing adaptor-ed to fit the vacuum. I tried a gizmo called a Lint Lizard and/but found it only marginal...but that`s just on my two dryers (it worked much better on the older one than on the newer).

Is there time when you need a shorter, stiffer crevice tool?
    I must have three or four different ones that I`ve cut down...

Post Thanks / Like

Not IME. The plumbing repairs I did with it are still 100% after many years. Heh heh, many years longer than I expected to put off having things fixed properly, but hey it`s holding up great.
    My repairs are holding up good so far with duct tape, I forgot they were there.

Now I have sticky water shut off valve. Black water from the rubber seal in the valves. I have get crimp on water shut off valves.

I doubt they`ll have it, but they might have another that`s similar. BUT not that the quality can vary greatly between brands..sorry, can`t recall the names of the ones that were inferior to the F4.
    Look for tape called: self-vulcanizing or self-amalgamating.
    I looked at my local Ace Hardware, no F4 tape but they did have the self vulcanizing tape. I`m going to try Home Depot next.

I can`t say, but I`d *expect* so. But my consumer ones have never proven insufficient. The Century leaves carpet awfully damp unless I run a different nozzle on it (one that undoubtedly overloads the motors but I don`t care). My wife was kinda the time I wheeled that big pro extractor into the house do do carpets only to switch to the one Bissell in order to get them sufficiently dry!
    I have no experience with a profession grade extractor, just the Bissell LGM. I don`t know what a modern consumer grade carpet extractor can do.

Are the new carpet extractor reliable like the old ones?

My Hoover was around 30 years old. The only reason I threw it out was, it had a musky smell being stored in the basement.

Ah, OK..yeah, that can be a challenge if you get it get ahead of you. (My previous shop had terribly hard water that drove me nuts.)
    The city sent a notice not to drink the tap water without some kind of filtration system. It`s safe for drinking but not recommended.

Keeping up with the mineral, calcium deposit I have to clean every other day to keep the chrome finish look sparkly.

That "left it too damp" thing is one area where they`re *REALLY* made improvements! Zero way to exaggerate it. I did a quick-extracting of our Media Room early afternoon yesterday and it was almost 100% dry by evening. If I need things dry *right now* I go over it with the better of my Bissell canister-style extractors, which *does* get things nice and dry..but it`s a lot of extra work.
    I`m not this lucky. My carpets stay wet for awhile.

How thick are your carpets? Do you have padding under the carpets?

The thicker the carpets, the longer it takes to dry. If to much fluids is used the padding under the carpets absorbs a lot of the fluids. Which takes awhile to dry, being under the carpets. The professional cleaners have to know where to stop as far as how much fluids. My only concern now is if there`s mold under the carpets, from the carpets being to wet.

(Can you tell I have 30-some years worth of, uhm...accumulated...extractors around here?!? Total of five that are still working and the two Bissells are really, *really* old.)
    It`s good to have more than one machine. Especially if one breaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Continue

That`s the kind my dad had (I auctioned it when he passed...no rinse tank = no thanks). I`m all about that separate clear-water rinsing, and/but might start using a Rinse Agent though I`m doing fine without it.
    My Hoover wasn`t that bad. I had to do a second pass with clear rinse water to flush out any rug cleaner. A little inconvenience but worth it.

Modern consumer carpet cleaner machines, How many tanks and/or chambers do they have?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information