Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shop Vac hose upgrade question.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Asking the vacuum to suck stuff through a longer hose is asking it to do more work. Whether you`ll actually notice any functional diff with the 1.5" hose, eh...I don`t know. I do know that I can overdo it if I concatenate too many of the 2.5" sections on my shopvacs, but I`ve never had it be an issue with the 1.5" hoses I`ve used and I`d lean towards optimism.
    Another word, the longer, wider the shop vac hose is, the harder the vac has to work.

I measured the hose, it`s just over 6 ft. If I had to stick with the 1 1/4 size hose due to performance. I was hoping to go to a 8 ft hose length for that little extra reach. Then again, I only used the the vac twice for car cleaning. I may have to find a better way of using the vac.

Also check ebay. I find/buy the little Bissell Upholstery Nozzles (that I *LOVE* on my extractors) there,. and really cheap.
    Out of the Ridgid kit the triangle brush is the only thing I don`t have. Plus it should fit with the supplied hose from the vac. The suction port hole on the vac is smaller than the hose in the kit. Plus with the supplied locking hose adapter in the kit, doesn`t work with Shop Vac.

As the old saying goes "If it`s not broken, don`t fix it" I think this saying applies in this situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    I LOVE that Rigid hose kit, I also love that HD has a good selection of hose adapters and attachment tools you can buy individually for cheap. They have a good selection and have most of them in both hose sizes too which is nice. Sucks they don`t sell the 2 triangle tools that come with the car kit, well at least the 2 HD`s by me. I lost mine and want to replace them but don`t need a whole kit. This is one I bought there and have used a lot, the LED can actually be pretty useful. It was around $8. I use the hose on my Metro Vac & Blo.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-2...2539/304753788
    Shop Vac hose upgrade question.-ridgid-vacuum-vt1739-64_1000.jpg

I was looking at this attachment, Craftsman part # CMXZVBE38690. It fits a 1 1/4 hose. I don`t know how good it will work for detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

General question. How come most shop vac, Ridgid, Vacmaster, Shop Vac, ETC comes with a 7 ft hose?

Occasionally I might see a longer secondary hose if a kit is available with the vac.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are really interested in making your own hose, please check out the link for industrial vacuum hose supplier/manufacturer Flexaust:
    https://www.flexaust.com/product/smo...r-vacuum-hose/
    The paper converting machine company I worked for used this manufacturer`s hose for its vacuum hose for supplying vacuum to rolls used for folding of paper at high speeds to make individual napkins and tissue you buy as a consumer. You can get various diameters and material/construction types of hoses, including those that are crush-proof.

One caveat about using a smaller diameter hose on a shop vac designed for a large diameter hose is that it restricts the air flow and the motor has to work much harder and that will cause an increase in electrical power draw and increases the heat the electric motor generates. If you use a shop vac for any length of time, say for two hours non-stop without turning it off, that shop vac motor will get awfully hot and your motor life will be greatly reduced. If you ever have to vacuum out a vehicle with a lot of pet hair in it and end up scrubbing off the hair with a pumice stone or a pet hair brush or a textured rubber glove (which is what I use), you know it can be a long time with vacuuming an interior. What is even worse is doing it outside in the sun with the shop vac sitting their with its black cover absorbing all that heat from the sun. I have learned to stop vacuuming periodically and check that motor cover with my hand to see how hot it really is. Sometimes the shop vac needs a break, too, before it gets too hot.
    That , and using a 12 GA wire electrical extension cord. Using a smaller gauge wire (16 or 20 GA) extension cord really puts strain on the motor because a small gauge wire cord cannot fully supply the amperage draw of the shop vac motor under load.
    GB detailer
    Likes JRW67 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, carnage thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    General question. How come most shop vac, Ridgid, Vacmaster, Shop Vac, ETC comes with a 7 ft hose?
    I assume it`s a combo of performance (the as-delivered setup performing well enough to be competitive) and cost (longer hose = costlier = lower profit margin and poorer cost comparison with competitors), and what`s considered the industry-norm (if most come with [whatever] then I suspect that`s just "how they`re configured" in an industry-wide sense). No reason to deviate from that unless somebody can predict a significant upside.

That makes me wonder about the length of the electrical cord on such units. With household vacuums, Hoover has generally offered shorter cords than their competition (a topic my father once broached with a member of the Hoover family, who offered a disappointing if predictable response related to unit-cost).
    Thanks carnage thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

"Accordion style"? School me please...all mine are like that, aren`t they? Eh, what`m I missing here?!?
    Most old school hoses are that way. Rigid in particular (see link previous page) are not.

Do you not experience the vacuum coming at you (FULL FORCE) using the accordion style?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    I was looking at this attachment, Craftsman part # CMXZVBE38690. It fits a 1 1/4 hose. I don`t know how good it will work for detailing.
    HD sells it in 1 7/8 & 2 1/2 sizes. I have whichever fits on the Rigid car kit hose. It works awesomely with my Metro Van-N-Blow.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a bit of shop-vac information: As posted earlier, I have a 5.5 hp Vacmaster Beast, to which I adapted an HD Detailing Kit 1 1/4" hose. I`ve been tickled with its performance improvement over my ancient Craftsman monster. This past weekend, I was involved in resealing my ceramic tile shower. I had been using it to dry out the joint between the shower walls and floor before caulking, using the crevice tool. After vacuuming, I decided to switch ends and try the heated air to blow out any residual moisture and hopefully get it bone-dry for good caulk adhesion. I was seriously impressed with both the volume and pressure. Come Spring, I`m going to fit some filter material to the discharge end and give it a trial after a wash job.
    Not a Metro-Vac by any means, but I`ve only got $100 in the whole package, so we`ll see how close it comes. It`s definitely easier to handle than my leaf blower.

Bill
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, carnage thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

My old MetroVac Model VNB-73 runs 12 feet of 1-1/4 hose all day long, never has an issue, and never causes the staged motor to run faster just because of the hose length..
    I don`t ever see the need to have a longer hose to move all round the car, etc., I would rather take the entire machine to the other side if needed.. It rolls on nice wheels too..

Metrovac even sells an automotive vacuum that comes with - 24 feet - of hose.. This one -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/metr...l#.XjDy2TKQH3g

Perhaps it is their motor design, etc., something, that allows them to do this successfully ?
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    One caveat about using a smaller diameter hose on a shop vac designed for a large diameter hose is that it restricts the air flow and the motor has to work much harder and that will cause an increase in electrical power draw and increases the heat the electric motor generates. If you use a shop vac for any length of time, say for two hours non-stop without turning it off, that shop vac motor will get awfully hot and your motor life will be greatly reduced. If you ever have to vacuum out a vehicle with a lot of pet hair in it and end up scrubbing off the hair with a pumice stone or a pet hair brush or a textured rubber glove (which is what I use), you know it can be a long time with vacuuming an interior. What is even worse is doing it outside in the sun with the shop vac sitting their with its black cover absorbing all that heat from the sun. I have learned to stop vacuuming periodically and check that motor cover with my hand to see how hot it really is. Sometimes the shop vac needs a break, too, before it gets too hot.
    That , and using a 12 GA wire electrical extension cord. Using a smaller gauge wire (16 or 20 GA) extension cord really puts strain on the motor because a small gauge wire cord cannot fully supply the amperage draw of the shop vac motor under load.
    Seeing on how the forum members are suggesting using a smaller hose (1 1/4). I`m going to stick with the 1 1/4 size hose. The length, would be nice a little longer. I think I`m going to stay with the manufacturer hose, after reading all the response.

I`ve been using a 14/3 by 25 ft length extension cords with the shop vac. Is this cord sufficient to be using with the vac or do I need to go to 12/3 by 25 ft cord?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I assume it`s a combo of performance (the as-delivered setup pe

That makes me wonder about the length of the electrical cord on such units. With household vacuums, Hoover has generally offered shorter cords than their competition (a topic my father once broached with a member of the Hoover family, who offered a disappointing if predictable response related to unit-cost).
    My Dyson has 31 ft. and Shark vacs has about 25 ft cord. I thought household vacs cords has standard lengths, or close to each other manufacturer.

If you have to use a extension cords with the shop vac, which gauge cord do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
    Just a bit of shop-vac information: As posted earlier, I have a 5.5 hp Vacmaster Beast, to which I adapted an HD Detailing Kit 1 1/4" hose. I`ve been tickled with its performance improvement over my ancient Craftsman monster. This past weekend, I was involved in resealing my ceramic tile shower. I had been using it to dry out the joint between the shower walls and floor before caulking, using the crevice tool. After vacuuming, I decided to switch ends and try the heated air to blow out any residual moisture and hopefully get it bone-dry for good caulk adhesion. I was seriously impressed with both the volume and pressure. Come Spring, I`m going to fit some filter material to the discharge end and give it a trial after a wash job.
    Not a Metro-Vac by any means, but I`ve only got $100 in the whole package, so we`ll see how close it comes. It`s definitely easier to handle than my leaf blower.

Bill
    Which 1 1/4 hose did you adapted to the Vacmaster?

By the way, your car looks good in the avatar.

Post Thanks / Like

Does any brand of shop vac comes with a sealable lid?

What`s a good way to clean the filter? I thought about using my Metro Sidekick to blow out the filter, since I don`t own a air compressor. I`m not sure if it`s good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

carnage- My late father used to clean out disposable filters instead of just replacing them...made for a terrible mess and I always wondered whether the filters would keep working as well. If I blew `em out with my compressor I could do serious damage, would have to turn it way down.

[INSERT usual lecture about how you oughta buy a cheapie compressor from HF for $40 or so..IMO everybody with a vehicle oughta have one]

How tight a seal are you after? Doesn`t yours seal up well? My Craftsman ones don`t seal as well as my dad`s old ?1950s? ShopVac did, but that was a monster of a thing like they don`t really make any more.

My Dyson has 31 ft. and Shark vacs has about 25 ft cord. I thought household vacs cords has standard lengths, or close to each other manufacturer.
    Note that the Dyson is...well, a Dyson. And the Shark is a recent release (if only because Shark Vacuums haven`t been around for decades..all relative). My Sears/Panasonic and Bissell units all have *MUCH* longer cords than any of my stuff from Hoover (not that I`ve ever measured them).

...I`ve been using a 14/3 by 25 ft length extension cords with the shop vac. Is this cord sufficient to be using with the vac or do I need to go to 12/3 by 25 ft cord?...
    My one shopvac is semi-permanently attached to a long 14Ga extension cord. Not *optimal* but sufficient..it`s been set up/used that way for over 20 years with no problems. The others aren`t used for years on end and I just plug `em in directly as they have pretty long cords. (If I`m picking up wet messes I generally use an extractor, all of which have really long cords.)

(BUT...I don`t know the draw of *you* shopvac and it might be very different from any of mine. When I run anything serious I do get out the 12Ga cord(s) or even the *big* ones made for things like washing machines.

There`s a formula for what gauge cord to use depending the proposed length of same and on the draw of whatever you`re plugging into it, but I forget what it is. If in doubt I get out the big/good ones.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Great advice here ! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have also, always used the bigger 12awg extension cords for any bigger motor equipment, or any equipment that has an internal heater coil, like my Steamer, or an internal heater coil, pump, and 3 motors, like my Extractor..
    Usually, the bigger motor equipment also wants 20amp electrical circuits, so when I see that I just always use the bigger 12awg cords plugged into my 20 amp circuits..

Electricity produces heat going back and forth a bazillion times per second/minute/hour/etc.. That is why the electrical cords feel warm to hot when they are powering up that piece of equipment..
    And that is why you also want a thicker gauge wire cord, to be able to pass more juice through it (so the cord will not get as hot), and not be hindering the motor`s need for more juice, which then also increases the heat coming from the motor..

For all other things in the shop, which will be lights, the Rotary, etc., I have had great success with a good brand 14awg extension cord.. I also don`t want to be lugging a heavier 12awg cord all around a vehicle, possibly hanging off my shoulder, when I am anywhere near the paintwork, working on it..

I also never run longer than 25 feet of any extension cord + the length of the equipment I am powering up.. I also just do not want all these extension cords all over the Shop floor, getting in the way, getting stepped on, etc.., possibly damaging them, etc... Then, you have to pick them up and clean them, so they will be nice the next time you use them..
    Dan F
    Likes BillE liked this post

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information