Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water marks on the interior

carnage- Huh, more of that YMMV stuff...I have to be careful about mixing my laundry loads.

The only water-repellent clothing I have is my outdoorsy stuff, and it`s mostly in the Goretex/etc. variety rather than having a treatment (my treated clothing gets retreated by my Dry Cleaner). Well, there`s the waxed cotton coat from Willis & Geiger, but that one never really gets dirty Fortunately, we don`t have to spend much time outdoors when it`s wet out and our Camping Days are far behind us.

We use MFs for the vast majority of Household Cleaning tasks, only using cotton when we need something more aggressive.

No, I`ve never tried washing any clothing in MF detergent, the few pieces of synthetic clothing that get really dirty (just a few pieces of work clothing that I wear outdoors and when washing the vehicles) come clean just fine in OxiClean + Persil...or at least close enough for work Clothes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    carnage- Huh, more of that YMMV stuff...I have to be careful about mixing my laundry loads.
    My white Under Armour shirts doesn`t look so white anymore. I think the OxiClesn will fill in the gap, instead pf using bleach.

The only water-repellent clothing I have is my outdoorsy stuff, and it`s mostly in the Goretex/etc. variety rather than having a treatment (my treated clothing gets retreated by my Dry Cleaner). Well, there`s the waxed cotton coat from Willis & Geiger, but that one never really gets dirty Fortunately, we don`t have to spend much time outdoors when it`s wet out and our Camping Days are far behind us.
    I don`t go camping much anymore. The water repelling jackets, sweatshirts are coming in handy. October was wetter than normal. Seem like November is going to be the same.

No, I`ve never tried washing any clothing in MF detergent, the few pieces of synthetic clothing that get really dirty (just a few pieces of work clothing that I wear outdoors and when washing the vehicles) come clean just fine in OxiClean + Persil...or at least close enough for work Clothes.

I keep switching back and forth, between Tide and Persil. Since all stains are not created equal, it`s hard to tell which is better at cleaning.

Doesn`t hurt to ask.

Can cotton towels for auto use, be wash in microfiber detergent?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    My white Under Armour shirts doesn`t look so white anymore. I think the OxiClesn will fill in the gap, instead pf using bleach.
    That`s what I`d try too.
    I don`t go camping much anymore. The water repelling jackets, sweatshirts are coming in handy. October was wetter than normal. Seem like November is going to be the same.
    Heh heh, I haven`t been camping since, uhm...maybe `75! And yeah, it`s been really wet here too, lost a lot of trees as a result..big trees

..I keep switching back and forth, between Tide and Persil. Since all stains are not created equal, it`s hard to tell which is better at cleaning.
    We do the same, keeping both handy. In our case, the Pesil *does* clean better...consistently. But that`s usually not required and the stuff is a *lot* pricier than Tide in my area. And we prefer our clothes not smelling like Persil (the scent of which lingers even after the Ultra Downy and Bounce dryer sheets). We`re using such a *tiny* amount of detergent that just "use less Persil for the same results" isn`t to feasible even if we did like how it smells.

..Can cotton towels for auto use, be wash in microfiber detergent?
    Yes, but unless they`re really nasty with grease I don`t bother. That`s the one issue that the MF Detergents did work better for with cotton.

Post Thanks / Like

Water marks on the interior

That’s interesting you find Persil cleans better. I switched from that to Tide Heavy Duty. I find it’s slightly better ( in terms of laundry, haven’t used it on MFs yet)
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Ah, yeah..I remember that you tried the Tide HD, sounds like it`s still working well for you.

I looked at it last time I was buying, and it was Persil-pricey (much more than their regular Stain Release formula that we use) so I stuck with the known. Just a not broken/don`t fix thing...

Which reminds me that I might sometime try their equally pricey Studio stuff for colors I don`t want fading...

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, I haven`t been camping since, uhm...maybe `75! And yeah, it`s been really wet here too, lost a lot of trees as a result..big trees
    Surrounding towns, cities lost power from down branches.

Usually when it`s a dry summer we get a wetter than average fall.

We do the same, keeping both handy. In our case, the Pesil *does* clean better...consistently. But that`s usually not required and the stuff is a *lot* pricier than Tide in my area. And we prefer our clothes not smelling like Persil (the scent of which lingers even after the Ultra Downy and Bounce dryer sheets). We`re using such a *tiny* amount of detergent that just "use less Persil for the same results" isn`t to feasible even if we did like how it smells.
    I buy the 150 oz of Persil, better value when comparing to the smaller bottles.

I get the Persil Pro Clean. I like the smell lingering around. Persil recommendation at 2.5 oz. for a full load is to much. Even after a few extra rinse cycle there to much suds still in the clothes. Doesn`t rinse well. The most I use of Persil is 1.5 oz. per load. No lingering smell for long period of time, no Persil smell on the clothes. I get itchy if to much detergent is still in the clothes. If I need extra cleaning power I have Clorox 2.

Yes, but unless they`re really nasty with grease I don`t bother. That`s the one issue that the MF Detergents did work better for with cotton.
    Would you use bleach with auto cotton cloths?

Do you use a cotton cloth that is design for auto use or do you a cotton hand towel for auto detailing? I trying to find some good thick white cotton towel for detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    That’s interesting you find Persil cleans better. I switched from that to Tide Heavy Duty. I find it’s slightly better ( in terms of laundry, haven’t used it on MFs yet)
    Do you find cleaning microfiber for glass use in regular laundry detergent (not the free and clear detergent) to streak more than microfiber detergent?

I did a load of glass towel with regular Tide I found it streak the glass. Then I wash them in microfiber detergent or free and clear detergent, no more streaking. I did a few extra rinses to make sure the detergent was rinse out of the towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Surrounding towns, cities lost power from down branches...
    Eh, ours is plagued with pretty frequent outages [Freakin`] hassle in the dead of winter or the height of summer...

I buy the 150 oz of Persil, better value when comparing to the smaller bottles...
    We do that with basically everything we buy.
    I get the Persil Pro Clean.
    That`s what we have too, although we don`t really care for the scent (no biggie as we use it in the garage washer not the household one). And yeah, we use a *tiny* amount of detergent (well under an ounce) and run rinses until there is no sudsing, which can sometimes take a lot.

Would you use bleach with auto cotton cloths?
    Yes, do it whenever I think it`s necessary. Although some "black stains" from rubber/etc. are forever no matter what I do.

Do you use a cotton cloth that is design for auto use or do you a cotton hand towel for auto detailing? I trying to find some good thick white cotton towel for detailing...
    Noting that I *NEVER* touch paint with them, I use ones made for Detailing. BUT I got mine years ago and AFAIK they`re all long off the market: Ones from BHMA (gone for years now), Emmons Coachworks (dunno if they`re still aroung), Koala Soft, the reserged Charismas that Kevin Overall used to sell, and the Concours Buffing Towels/Designe Francoise Towels (sp?).

Not sure who still makes good ones these days..between tags and the serging there might not be any good ones left.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you find cleaning microfiber for glass use in regular laundry detergent (not the free and clear detergent) to streak more than microfiber detergent?

I did a load of glass towel with regular Tide I found it streak the glass. Then I wash them in microfiber detergent or free and clear detergent, no more streaking. I did a few extra rinses to make sure the detergent was rinse out of the towels.
    No, I never noticed any kind of streaking from my glass towels washed with Tide. I do a full rinse before drying though and I always wash glass towels separately from others. Maybe that’s why.

I will keep an eye out for it; especially when I get new glass towels. I think I’m going to get the PFMs.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, ours is plagued with pretty frequent outages [Freakin`] hassle in the dead of winter or the height of summer...
    Here, it`s mostly the country area loses power often.

We did have issues where we will power for no reason, until the electric company broke down and started replacing old, worn transformer.

We do that with basically everything we buy.
    I did to until space started to become an issue.

That`s what we have too, although we don`t really care for the scent (no biggie as we use it in the garage washer not the household one). And yeah, we use a *tiny* amount of detergent (well under an ounce) and run rinses until there is no sudsing, which can sometimes take a lot.
    I have the washer setup in the basement. The basement has a slight musky odor, so the Persil smell is a nice change.

I wonder if the EU version has a stronger scent, since it stronger. The US version is water down a bit.

Yes, do it whenever I think it`s necessary. Although some "black stains" from rubber/etc. are forever no matter what I do.
    If you got any black stain cotton cloths, try some IPA see if it makes a difference.

Noting that I *NEVER* touch paint with them, I use ones made for Detailing. BUT I got mine years ago and AFAIK they`re all long off the market: Ones from BHMA (gone for years now), Emmons Coachworks (dunno if they`re still aroung), Koala Soft, the reserged Charismas that Kevin Overall used to sell, and the Concours Buffing Towels/Designe Francoise Towels (sp?).
    The cotton towels I`m looking at is for interior use only. I have microfiber for the exterior.

I found some towels online for detailing. It says 4 lbs per dozen.

Does the weight sound about right? Does it seems thin to you? I don`t know nothing about weight and towels.

FYI, I soak my whites in OxiClean overnight. I didn`t make a huge but it was noticeably whiter. I may have to do another pre-soak.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    No, I never noticed any kind of streaking from my glass towels washed with Tide. I do a full rinse before drying though and I always wash glass towels separately from others. Maybe that’s why.
    All my glass towel gets wash by themselves to avoid any cross contamination. I think it`s just the detergent. I did plenty of rinses to get rid of any suds.

Now I`m using Blackfire microfiber detergent. Hopefully no more streaking.

Post Thanks / Like

caarnage- Ah, sounds like the OxiClean did make a bit of a difference. And yeah, I wash the Glass Towels separately too. Well, other than the cotton ones I use for the first passes when things are really nasty (especially in winter), those I just wash with the other ones and if they cause streaking that`s OK since I`ll be doing the "proper cleaning" after that anyhow. (In winter, my usually-two-step process becomes at least three).

I *will* try that IPA-on-towels thing for the black stains. If it gets `em out that`d really be something (they`ve been stained like that for many years), and/but it might be more reasonable to try them the next time that happens, while the stains are still fresh.

And, heh heh...there`s *NEVER* enough space! We went nuts building this place, and still find ourselves wondering where to put everything

Post Thanks / Like

caarnage- Ah, sounds like the OxiClean did make a bit of a difference. And yeah, I wash the Glass Towels separately too. Well, other than the cotton ones I use for the first passes when things are really nasty (especially in winter), those I just wash with the other ones and if they cause streaking that`s OK since I`ll be doing the "proper cleaning" after that anyhow. (In winter, my usually-two-step process becomes at least three).
    The whites didn`t get dreary looking overnight. I don`t expect them to look like new or look new in 1 washing. After a few washing I can make a better opinion on OxiClean.

The only cotton cloth I have is now discontinued Meguiars cotton cloths, I believe it`s the 3 pack. I wash them once, put them away. I`m going have to dig them out.

Don`t you like crusty car windows, from winter? Especially the back window on a SUV.

I *will* try that IPA-on-towels thing for the black stains. If it gets `em out that`d really be something (they`ve been stained like that for many years), and/but it might be more reasonable to try them the next time that happens, while the stains are still fresh.
    Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose but a black stain. As you will say "YMMV". As you mentioned It probably work better on fresh stains.

I tried IPA on a table cloth when everything else failed (detergent, APC) It was dye transfer from the under laying vinyl table liner. IPA removed most of the dye, but not all.

And, heh heh...there`s *NEVER* enough space! We went nuts building this place, and still find ourselves wondering where to put everything
    I`m going through a house renovation right now. I`m updating everything to today`s codes plus remodel. I`m going to try make a lot room for storage, hopefully.

Have you ever clean a nasty car, that your clothes still smell after a few washes? I help my neighbor clean a minivan once with atomic puke from 2 kids. After a couple of washes my clothes still smell. I got desperate I added a small amount of chlorine bleach to the load clothes, it work.

Is their any detergent design for odor removal that actual works? I tried one detergent but it failed.

How is cotton cloths for glass cleaning? You mentioned cotton clean better, can it leave glass streak free, without any lint or does it need a follow up with microfiber?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information