Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water marks on the interior

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    carnage- Man, that`d be awful, having your car broken into like that...only happened to me once, back in the `70s.
    My neighbor, across the street she woke up to her car being on blocks with all rims and tires gone. She wasn`t thrilled about it.

If something *does* work on the cover, I bet somebody else here will appreciate hearing about it.
    If I find something that work I`ll post a update. I thinking about trying OxiClean.

Post Thanks / Like

carnage- Oh man, sorry you have to live in such an area

And FWIW, I`m constantly amazed by how well Oxiclean works. Not sure it it`ll help in this case, but yeah..give it a try!

Post Thanks / Like

carnage- Oh man, sorry you have to live in such an area

And FWIW, I`m constantly amazed by how well Oxiclean works. Not sure it it`ll help in this case, but yeah..give it a try!
    It`s not a bad neighborhood. What happen to my neighbor car, plus mine was well over 15 years ago. I haven`t heard or seen cars being broken into since.

Which OxiClean do you use? The powder or spray bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

carnage- Well, props to you for still taking precautions even though your area hasn`t had those issues for a while.

I get the OxiClean powder, usually in the biggest tub when it`s on sale...lasts forever (with my soft water I don`t need much) and I`ll *never* get over the diff between using it/not. I always thought "snake oil!" until I inherited some and thought I`d use up the "worthless crap" only to find that it really *is* good stuff (well, IME..thinking how YMMV always applies).

Post Thanks / Like

carnage- Well, props to you for still taking precautions even though your area hasn`t had those issues for a while.
    My neighborhood still have someone tries to cause issues,occasionally.

Going to one of my friends house, seeing how he takes extra precaution when he leaves kind of rubbed off on me.

I get the OxiClean powder, usually in the biggest tub when it`s on sale...lasts forever (with my soft water I don`t need much) and I`ll *never* get over the diff between using it/not. I always thought "snake oil!" until I inherited some and thought I`d use up the "worthless crap" only to find that it really *is* good stuff (well, IME..thinking how YMMV always applies).
    I inherited a tub to. I tried it on jeans with grass stains. I don`t know if it did anything that washing in Tide couldn`t do.

Have you tried it on white colored clothes? If so, did you notice any improve whitening over using just bleach?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    I inherited a tub..[of OxiClean].. to. I tried it on jeans with grass stains. I don`t know if it did anything that washing in Tide couldn`t do.

Have you tried it on white colored clothes? If so, did you notice any improve whitening over using just bleach?
    Adding the OxiClean definitely perks up my Tide and even my Persil; we noticed that the loads my wife was doing weren`t coming out nearly as nice as mine, and that was the diff.

I`m kinda careful about what whites I use bleach on; it`ll trash a lot of my white clothing (the tags really do say "use non-chlorine bleach only" for a reason ), but I do use it on white household/shop/dog towels, and the OxiClean works just about as well. I`m only qualifying that with "just about" since YMMV, I can`t tell a diff between the two normally, not unless I`m trying to remove some awful set-in stain, in which case the bleach *might* work better but I try the OxiClean first. In fact, come to think of it, I haven`t used my bleach for months even though the dog towels get really nasty sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m kinda careful about what whites I use bleach on; it`ll trash a lot of my white clothing (the tags really do say "use non-chlorine bleach only" for a reason ), but I do use it on white household/shop/dog towels, and the OxiClean works just about as well. I`m only qualifying that with "just about" since YMMV, I can`t tell a diff between the two normally, not unless I`m trying to remove some awful set-in stain, in which case the bleach *might* work better but I try the OxiClean first. In fact, come to think of it, I haven`t used my bleach for months even though the dog towels get really nasty sometimes.

I have to do lab coats. The label reads, dry clean only. I wash it in bleach anyway. The worst area are the sleeves cuffs since they`re are huge, that they get drag onto everything. I also walk around outside with white socks on that get stained easily.

I was thinking about buying OxiClean in the spray bottle then spraying the area with OxiClean to pre-treat the stained area. Then wash the coats without the use of bleach.

Do you know if their any issue using OxiClean along with bleach?

I inherited the tub when OxyClean first came out. Have OxiClean updated the formula since?

Post Thanks / Like

carnage- I`ve never noticed any problems from mixing the OxiClean and bleach, but you might oughta be a little cautious about it anyhow.

And yeah..lots of "dry clean only" textiles do OK with (the right kind of) laundering, at least cotton ones seem to once you get past the shrinkage.

I wouldn`t buy the OxiClean in liquid form though, as I suspect it`s a lot cheaper to buy the powder and mix it up yourself. I could be wrong though..

And no, I dunno whether they`ve tweaked the formula, but it still seems to work the same for me and the stuff I inherited was from the `90s.

Post Thanks / Like

carnage- I`ve never noticed any problems from mixing the OxiClean and bleach, but you might oughta be a little cautious about it anyhow.

And yeah..lots of "dry clean only" textiles do OK with (the right kind of) laundering, at least cotton ones seem to once you get past the shrinkage.

I wouldn`t buy the OxiClean in liquid form though, as I suspect it`s a lot cheaper to buy the powder and mix it up yourself. I could be wrong though..

And no, I dunno whether they`ve tweaked the formula, but it still seems to work the same for me and the stuff I inherited was from the `90s.
    When I go shopping over the weekend I`m going to pick up a small tub to try out. See if the OxiClean is any different than before.

Thanks a lot for all the information, opinions, and help!

Post Thanks / Like

When I go shopping over the weekend I`m going to pick up a small tub to try out. See if the OxiClean is any different than before.

Thanks a lot for all the information, opinions, and help!
    Well, heh heh...don`t thank me yet, let`s see how it works for you first! This stuff is just *so* YMMV...

Post Thanks / Like

Well, heh heh...don`t thank me yet, let`s see how it works for you first! This stuff is just *so* YMMV...
    I can`t find any small tub of OxiClean. I grab the 1.77 lbs tub.

I`m thanking you for your time responding to my questions. Next laundry load I`ll see how OxiClean works. I know everything has its limits, so my expectation is neutral now. I think OxiClean been updated years ago

I used to use APC or IPA as a pre-treat for grass stains, grease, etc.

Reading online, since OxiClean active ingredient is Hydrogen Peroxide it safe for all fabric, but not so good on oily stains. I should try some out on the tile grout.

Do you notice any OxiClean powder in the laundry that hasn`t been dissolves by the end of the wash cycle?

Which water setting (hot, warm, cold) do you used? Does cold water dissolved OxiClean? I read powder laundry detergent doesn`t dissolve in cold water.

Have you tried OxiClean with microfiber cloth?

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use APC or IPA as a pre-treat for grass stains, grease, etc.
    Does that work? I can undestand the APC (I use it to pre-treat Detailing MFs), but not the IPA. FWIW, I find Spray-and-Wash pretreatment spray works well, didn`t really expect that (it wasn`t snake oil after all, as with the OxiClean).

Reading online, since OxiClean active ingredient is Hydrogen Peroxide it safe for all fabric, but not so good on oily stains. I should try some out on the tile grout.
    I still don`t use OxiClean on Colors lest it fade/bleach them, although that`s never happened with bold colored washcloths/towels/etc. No, not saying it will/could, but I`m risk-averse when it comes to my good clothing so if I care about something staying vibrant I skip that stuff.
    Do you notice any OxiClean powder in the laundry that hasn`t been dissolves by the end of the wash cycle?
    Never, not once. But I still don`t use it on my Detailing MFs for that exact reason. Color me paranoid
    Which water setting (hot, warm, cold) do you used? Does cold water dissolved OxiClean? I read powder laundry detergent doesn`t dissolve in cold water.
    We use liquid detergents exclusively, and I can`t recall ever using OxiClean in a cold-water load. BUT, I do use it with cool/cold water for carpet stains and it seems to dissolve OK, just not as readily as with warm/hot. It`s not like "it simply doesn`t dissolve" or anything like that. Ditto for powdered detergents back when I used those; they`re formulated to dissolve OK in cold, but well..you know [INSERT lectures from Chem Class].

Have you tried OxiClean with microfiber cloth?
    Yes. I use it in every load of Household MFs. Works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Does that work? I can undestand the APC (I use it to pre-treat Detailing MFs), but not the IPA. FWIW, I find Spray-and-Wash pretreatment spray works well, didn`t really expect that (it wasn`t snake oil after all, as with the OxiClean).
    On my Speed Queen washer, the sticker on the door says for blood or hard to remove stains pre-treat with IPA. I decided to try it on grass, grease stain. It works better than Meguiars APC at 4 to 1. I probably wouldn`t try it on delicate clothes

I still don`t use OxiClean on Colors lest it fade/bleach them, although that`s never happened with bold colored washcloths/towels/etc. No, not saying it will/could, but I`m risk-averse when it comes to my good clothing so if I care about something staying vibrant I skip that stuff.
    I sometimes use chlorine beach with color clothes, around 2 ounces. People use chlorine in pools without faded or damaging shorts, I figure I`ll give it a shot in the washer. Never had a issue. I had more issue with the sun UV fading my clothes. My neighbor thought I bleach my colored shirts because of how fade they were until I flip them inside out to show her how dark the other side was. She couldn`t believe how much damage the sun UV rays can cause on clothing.

Never, not once. But I still don`t use it on my Detailing MFs for that exact reason. Color me paranoid
    Don`t blame you. I read on the forum that someone was having issues with the powder detergent granule not dissolving completely in the washing process, sticking to their microfiber cloths.

We use liquid detergents exclusively, and I can`t recall ever using OxiClean in a cold-water load. BUT, I do use it with cool/cold water for carpet stains and it seems to dissolve OK, just not as readily as with warm/hot. It`s not like "it simply doesn`t dissolve" or anything like that. Ditto for powdered detergents back when I used those; they`re formulated to dissolve OK in cold, but well..you know [INSERT lectures from Chem Class].
    Is OxiClean design as a booster for your laundry detergent, or a solo laundry detergent? Back then I used it as a booster for the detergent.

I remember I had 1 powder laundry detergent back then that didn`t break so will (don`t remember the name) I used to have granules on my clothes. I switch to liquid detergent shortly after.

Yes. I use it in every load of Household MFs. Works fine.
    Do you use any auto microfiber for household chores?

My concerns are, my Under Armour shirts has to be wash in free and clear type of detergent (Under Armour recommendation) or the detergent will interfere with the moisture wicking properties on the materials, plus the water repelling properties. My Carhartt sweatshirts, jackets are the same, detergent interfering with water repelling. It`s kind of like microfiber, I have to used certain detergent.

To restore some of the water repelling properties I have to use Nikwax detergent.

Post Thanks / Like

On my Speed Queen washer, the sticker on the door says for blood or hard to remove stains pre-treat with IPA. I decided to try it on grass, grease stain. It works better than Meguiars APC at 4 to 1. I probably wouldn`t try it on delicate clothes..
    Huh, I never heard that before..learn something new here every day Thanks for passing that along.

People use chlorine in pools without faded or damaging shorts..
    Huh, my swim trunks always *did* get faded from the cholorine (indoor pool) as much as from sunlight.

Never had a issue..[with bleach and colors]..
    Totally different experience(s) here Ruined stuff every time.

..Is OxiClean design as a booster for your laundry detergent, or a solo laundry detergent?
    A booster. Oh, and I misspoke; I *have* used it with cold water and it worked fine.

Do you use any auto microfiber for household chores?
    I use my old WWMFs for some household stuff, and use the same MFs for auto/household glass, but otherwise the only ones that I use for both are the MFs I use on auto interiors, which are equally good for dusting furniture. Different criteria for household/vehicles..

.. my Under Armour shirts has to be wash in free and clear type of detergent (Under Armour recommendation) or the detergent will interfere with the moisture wicking properties on the materials, plus the water repelling properties. My Carhartt sweatshirts, jackets are the same, detergent interfering with water repelling. It`s kind of like microfiber, I have to used certain detergent.
    I have no problems from using regular detergent with my UA/similar clothing. No problems with the water repellancy of my other garments either..eh, just a YMMV thing I suppose.

To restore some of the water repelling properties I have to use Nikwax detergent.
    Ah, I`ll keep that in mind if I *do* run into a problem, thanks for mentioning it.

[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, my swim trunks always *did* get faded from the cholorine (indoor pool) as much as from sunlight.
    Probably to much chlorine, not enough neutralizer. I heard people putting extra chlorine in pools if open to the general public, condos. etc. The maintenance people for the parks around here put extra chlorine in pools because kids urinating in the pool. No it doesn`t turn color urinating in the pool.

Most pools I been in, I never had a issue with chlorine damage.

Totally different experience(s) here Ruined stuff every time.
    Depending on water capacity of the washer, I use about 2.5 ounces of bleach. I through my colored clothes in with the white never any issues of fading.

A booster. Oh, and I misspoke; I *have* used it with cold water and it worked fine.
    I read that different people had issue with the powder detergent granules not breaking down in cold water. I was just wondering if OxiClean was the same.

When I do laundry over the week end I`m going to try the OxiClean to see if there a different in cleaning.

I use my old WWMFs for some household stuff, and use the same MFs for auto/household glass, but otherwise the only ones that I use for both are the MFs I use on auto interiors, which are equally good for dusting furniture. Different criteria for household/vehicles..
    I use my 16x16 waffle weave for car glass, house windows. TVs, mirrors. The waffle weave is the only one I used for the car and in the house.

I been thinking about picking the Costco microfiber for cleaning the stainless steel kitchen appliances.

I have no problems from using regular detergent with my UA/similar clothing. No problems with the water repellancy of my other garments either..eh, just a YMMV thing I suppose.
    Before I buy any clothing that I`m unfamiliar with I called the manufacturer from washing instructions. Fabric softeners interfere with water repelling, moisture wicking properties.

I notice water isn`t repelling as much when I use regular Tide with fabric softener. Usually the repelling comes back after using a free and clear detergent.

I like when the water repelling clothes are new. The water move around like a new Teflon pan. It probably because some company uses PTFE on clothes.

Ah, I`ll keep that in mind if I *do* run into a problem, thanks for mentioning it.
    The detergent is for cleaning anything that stop the water from repelling, but if the clothes are not treated with water repelling chemical the detergent isn`t going to do much. Nikwax also has product to make any shirts, clothing to repel water. The water repelling propertied only last 6 to 8 weeks. They use a plant based wax so the water repelling doesn`t last long. It safe for the user, and septic system.

I use Nikwax with my Spyder brand clothing.

Have you ever tried washing clothing with a microfiber detergent?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information