Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leather dye transfer question

I called two different dealership, asked if it`s normal. One said, I need to make an appointment so they could do a water test. If failed they would have to replace the the leather.

The other one said he supposed it`s not normal but would have to take pictures, then send it to Dodge to see what they want to do.

I guess there replies are better than the dealership where the SUV was bought.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Carnage -
    Think for a moment of all the numerous vehicles you sat in, your family sat in, all your neighbors, sat in, and how many times/people ever said, "Hey, I got out of my car, and all the leather seat color is on my pants!!! I am positive the number of people who ever said that to you, or what you have experienced in all these decades of life, is limited to probably just this vehicle..

This is because the leather used in all vehicles is dyed and coated by the people who actually acquire the leather, tan the hides, condition the leather, dye and coat the leather for the car manufacturers who specify the colors, and then the hides go to the people who cut them and possibly assemble the seats for the vehicles..

What you have in this vehicle is leather that was sprayed the color after the fact for whatever reason, and now the color is coming off, because it was not -Dyed- into the leather after the hide tanning, etc., process...

I bet if you go over to any lot that sells that vehicle and wipe it with a towel exactly as you did on this one, it will not be coming off on the towel..
    If it indeed Does come off on the towel, this would to me, represent a huge mistake by the people who made and sold that vehicle and I can only imagine how many take-backs they are dealing with, and the people who took them to court over this..

Again, this i just me, and not even all the great people on just this site, I have Detailed and cleaned with leather cleaners made for leather only, used steam through a white towel, etc., hundreds of vehicles, and never, seen anything come off that white towel but brown, grime, dirt, etc., from the top of the leather surfaces, on the worst cases... Never any color..

Good luck with this..
    Dan F

Awhile back I called this company (GST Auto Leather) the guy I spoke with gave me a lecture on leather, and how it was made to become auto leather. I was going to call again to see if someone was available to speak with.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    I called two different dealership, asked if it`s normal. One said, I need to make an appointment so they could do a water test. If failed they would have to replace the the leather.

The other one said he supposed it`s not normal but would have to take pictures, then send it to Dodge to see what they want to do.

I guess there replies are better than the dealership where the SUV was bought.
    carnage --
    The Dealership that said if it failed the water test, (and you know it does) they would replace the leather, is the one I would be working with, so you can get it all covered under warranty, no ???

It would appear that this Dealership has already gone through this issue, and is way ahead of the the other one that wants to"send it to Dodge to see what they want to do" ..

Dan F
    Thanks carnage thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    carnage --
    The Dealership that said if it failed the water test, (and you know it does) they would replace the leather, is the one I would be working with, so you can get it all covered under warranty, no ???

It would appear that this Dealership has already gone through this issue, and is way ahead of the the other one that wants to"send it to Dodge to see what they want to do" ..

Dan F

I made a appointment with the dealership that knew what I was talking about. The down side is, It`s going to be a month before they can look at it.

Thanks a lot for all of your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for all the replies!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information