Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for interior cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

`85 XHS-HE w/V12. ~20K miles. Rhodium Silver (single stage) Metallic, Oxblood leather, and I still have the original tires on the oe rims. I bought it new with help from my terminally-ill mother (hence sentimental attachment). It oughta be in wonderful shape as I`ve always done my best and didn`t get it until I knew what I was doing, BUT..

It does run fine, and it`s never let me down (other than waiting on Vapor Lock a few times) even though the battery won`t hold a charge (never has since new, nobody can fix). It had a laundry list of issues right from the jump...Jag offered to buy it back under warranty over all its problems and I should`ve let `em have it.

Ah, yes, Lucas electricals. Prince of Darkness.
    Joke of the day:
    Why do the English drink warm beer?
    Because they all have Lucas refrigerators!!
    (OK, those of you with an English vehicle with Lucas electricals are NOT laughing
    OR maybe you cannot afford to buy a different refrigerator for your beer because you`ve spent it all on trying to fix your English vehicle and keep it running!)
    GB detailer
    Likes GearHead_1, BillE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Man I used to hate fixing Lucas ignition and charging systems.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes BillE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Note that you can OVERpower the Tornador Black. Mine doesn`t work right at more than ~95psi so I have to remember to dial it back from its usual setting.

SWETM- So the Vacuum Attachment works well? I`ve been wondering whether I`d like it better for interiors if I had that.

Overall, the Tornador isn`t doing much for me, though I sometimes use it as a (VERY gentle) spot-pressure washer on mildly soiled surfaces. I see people using it for wheels/etc. and there`s simply no way mine will do stuff like that in a reasonable amount of time, it`s not even *close* to that level of power. Yeah, mine is working right It`s just a very, *very* gentle approach IME. I tried it on some interior stuff like mats and promptly went back to processes that *work*.

Oh, and I think that Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel is the one I got. Seems like good stuff though I haven`t done much with it yet.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie & GearHead1- Other than the Mystery Drain (battery shutoff I had installed the first week killed it for Concours ) and the oe headunit (ditto on the replacement radio that actually works), the electronics have been perfectly reliable. Well, except for having to keep a jumper wire in the glovebox to outsmart the A/C when it refuses to work by itself.

Eh, I probably overstated its "laundry list of issues", and most of the mechanical ones (some of which were genuinely life-threatening...in a rather pricey new car with zero warranty support!) are now sorted, but it`s been a letdown from the jump. Just a case of "why drive/detail/think about that when I have the others?"

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie & GearHead1- Other than the Mystery Drain (battery shutoff I had installed the first week killed it for Concours ) and the oe headunit (ditto on the replacement radio that actually works), the electronics have been perfectly reliable. Well, except for having to keep a jumper wire in the glovebox to outsmart the A/C when it refuses to work by itself.

Eh, I probably overstated its "laundry list of issues", and most of the mechanical ones (some of which were genuinely life-threatening...in a rather pricey new car with zero warranty support!) are now sorted, but it`s been a letdown from the jump. Just a case of "why drive/detail/think about that when I have the others?"
    Accumulator, you gotta know, people were bringing these systems into me, they had problems at a much higher frequency rate than other models which makes me remember Lucas negatively. It’s easy to like something that doesn’t cause YOU problems. I wasn’t looking at them from a perspective of what thy did right but rather fixing what they didn’t do right. There are no doubt many that had no issues with their British electronics.

This discussion got me to thinking about this and I remembered this though I don’t remember all of the details. I worked on an old Triumph one time where the owner had installed his own new battery and it wasn’t “running well”. Wait, here it is. In fact this is the only car I’ve ever seen that actually started and ran with a battery installed backwards. It was a positive earth vehicle. You heard that right and don’t ask me how, I never did get my head around it. It fried the alternator but not the links, switches or fuses. The starter also needed to be replaced a couple of weeks later but that car actually ran and didn’t burn to the ground. He was still driving the car a couple of years after that incident. Go figure.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

English cars have made "mechanics" out of their owners more than any other country`s manufacturers. Any MG, Jaguar-Land Rover, Mini-Cooper,Lotus, Vauxhall, Morgan, Austin- Martin, Bentley, even Rolls-Royce owner will attest to that. Hard to believe how such a small country could have SO many vehicle manufacturers that created so many mechanics` careers. Maybe that is why there is a shortage of good dentists in the UK; they HAD to become vehicle repair mechanics instead! (OK, Captain Obvious, you are being (very) cynical now.)
    But I digress....... Back to interior cleaners!.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. That`s what I use. I buy Crevice Tools made for Bissell extractors and cobble together adapters so I can use them with my other ones too.
    My Little Green Machine comes with attachments, a wide vacuum nozzle, a crevice tool with a brush around it. I don`t remember if the brush comes off the crevice tool but I can see the brush getting in the way in tight area.

Heh heh, that grease could be an issue, huh?!? Just thought it was worth mentioning, I hardly ever go that route anyhow but others sure rave about it.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried wiping the grease off using a degreaser, then when I get the hose back It`s full of grease again. Endless battle that I`m not going to win.

Eh, IMO you`ll be OK with the LGM and Shop Vac.
    I did it before, it just take longer to finish.

Hey, thought just occurred to me: the 1Z/NextZett Plastic Cleaner ("Deep Cleaner" or somesuch name) is supposedly All That. EVERYONE who tries it loves the stuff.
    They`re good products, I have both. The only thing is they`re not cost efficient. I just pick up Meguiars Gold Class Vinyl and leather cleaner, just to experiment with.

I don`t know. I once had a Sears Extractor Conversion Kit for my Craftsman Shop Vacs and it was OK but not really better than my Bissell/Hoover extractors and sure not in the same class as my Ninja. BUT..there are lots of different "shop vacs" and yours might be better than mine.
    The garage Shop Vac is one of those stainless steel one. It does a good job. To bad there wasn`t a attachment for a Shop Vac, like a motorized rotating beater brush. This way the carpet gets brush and vacuum at the same time.

Which Ninja are you mentioning about?

Yes. All such stuff is just...well...carpet shampoo of varying strengths/quality. I`ve *NEVER* had any problems using anything in anything, other than some foaming issues (which the Defoamer solves just fine).
    Would I have to dilute the shampoo a little weaker to be extracted using the Little Green Machine, since it doesn`t have the suction of a professional extractor?

Find the nearest Carpet Cleaning (or Janitorial) Supply place. The Carpet Cleaning Pros in your area get their stuff somewhere, and that would be my approach.
    I don`t don`t have any local to me. My next trip up to the shop I`ll look if there any there.

That sounds like what I do! And while it can sound awfully, uhm..infomercial, OxyClean can help too.
    Can OxyClean help with odor? My sister has coffee spill in her cup holder, leaking down on the carpets.

Give it a try, might be great. No real harm if not other than wasted time.
    I may not have the time I need, working full time at another job. I have to get the trucks done on their schedule.

Yeah, the GG is very mild. I`m still using up my 1ZCP in that same bottle, it`s lasted me for many years! Doesn`t do much cleaning, but it`s fine for quickie dusting jobs.
    I find 1ZCP (gray bottle) has pretty good cleaning ability. I wipe down a dash with GG interior cleaner first then went over it with 1ZCP. The yellow cloth was black after.

Try the NextZett Deep Cleaner or that LA Totally Awesome (if it`s good enough for Bill D...).
    Do you know if the LA Totally Awesome APC need a damp cloth wipe down?

Good stuff oughta be worth the expense and I bet it won`t be all that pricey if you buy commercial products/large sizes.
    The owner doesn`t look at it that way. It`s more money out of his pocket.

I already got some cleaners for the exterior of the trucks. Meguiars D101, D108, D110, D120.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    The Tuf-Shine people also make an amazing cleaner sponge that I have used since they were invented, and have several always on hand in the Shop.. They have this dark fabric on one side laminated to a soft green sponge on the other side.. The dark, coarser side of course, cleans really well and i have yet to hurt something with it.. You have to use common sense with all things and just figure out what is the best tool/s to use that day for that job.. This sponge cleans very well, is very easy to rinse out, and if you rinse it out, it will live forever and NEVER hold stuff in and Smell...
    Can the coarse side be used on leather?

Are the TufShine sponge like one of those dish sponge with Scotch Brite green pads?

Shoot !! Autopia and AutoGeek does NOT sell the cleaner sponge !!!! WHY ???
    Through a Google search AutoGeek did sell them at one time. Probably was a slow seller.

Well, it`s called the TufShine Scrub All Sponge, google it, buy a few, you can thank me sometime..
    Thanks!

Since you are talking now about a dedicated interior plastic cleaner, I also vote for Einszett, now called Nextzett Deep Plastic Cleaner.. I have used gallons of it over decades and it absolutely will clean plastic and leave it looking nicely afterwards.. It is not cheap like regular cleaners, but for my business plan, on very expensive vehicles, it is all I will ever use. It`s proven itself over decades of use.. It works very fast, and does not require a rinse.. You cannot use it on hot surfaces on in the sun, etc... Has a nice smell to it that is a -clean-smell.. I believe you can purchase it in a big 5L plastic jug still...
    The problem with 1Z/Nextzett, it`s not cost effective, as you mentioned.

Has the chemicals, formula change with Cockpit Premium since the gray bottles, beside the scent?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I can highly recommend the Ultima Interior Schampoo Gel. Used it this weekend on the interior and even if it`s very gentle to the materials you use it on it`s still has a very good cleaning ability from it. On some interiors I don`t like to use the APCs that you need to be following up with a wet/damp mf towel. And this Ultima ISG gets the job on even the tougher stains. Then of course you can get a stain that you need to be useing a special chemical to desolve it. But it`s as powerfull as the APC I have used and even stronger than some. It also leaves a fresh scent behind. On flat areas I spray it on the surface or in the mf towel. Wipe it over the surface and do it once more and done. If I would get some left of it on the surface I wipe it off with a dry mf towel. That`s rare it happens as if you don`t use to much of it it evaporate spot free from the surface. If I have a build up of dirt I spray directly on it and use a little interior brush and loosen it up and then wipe it up. Have done a Nissan Navarra truck with it that is used in the forrest for transportation to the forrester machine. These you get that sticky environmental safe hydralic oils on most parts of the interior LOL. And the dust from the trees is not so easy to get off either. But didn`t get any problems with the Ultima Interior Schampoo Gel to clean it up. You notice when the mf towel gets saturated with dirt and grime and just take a new side of the folded mf towel and move on and switch to a fresh one when all of the sides is used. A little goes a long way as with all of the Ultima products. Carpets and fabric material always soak up more solution so there a dedicated carpet and fabric cleaner could be used if you are doing it proffessional. Then I would go with a low foaming carpet cleaner that`s gets easier to rinse out with your Bissel and rinse water. High foaming useally takes longer to rinse it out. You can use the Ultima this way too but since on the expensive side of interior cleaners it`s good to have an alternative one. And also have various of the dedicated stain removers at hand if you are needed to be useing a certain chemical that desolves that kind of dirt.
    The owner won`t spend the money for higher end detailing products. I may pick up a bottle myself to experiment on what Ultima can do.

One thing that I would consider since you have access to compressed air. Is the Tornador Black with the vacuum attachement to it. With that you can use on most surfaces and it speeds up the work. Just look up so the air compressor has enough cfm and psi and is strong enough to refill the compressor tank while in use. The vacuum attachement gets you a great residue control. And works great as an extractor too with a great vacuum of course.
    The owner definite won`t spend the money on a Tornado Black.

I don`t know if the air compressor can keep up with all the other equipment going at the same time. I would have to wait until hardly no one using the air compressor, plus a free line.

Post Thanks / Like

What`s better, a drill brush or a hook and loop DA brush?

What type of bristles are better, mild, stiff bristle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Man I used to hate fixing Lucas ignition and charging systems.
    As a long ago (late 50`s early 60`s) British car mech, I could have gone the rest of my life NOT thinkin` `bout Lucas Electric. Man some of the problems were a bear to fix let along figure out.

Sorry for going OT...

Bil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead1
    It’s easy to like something that doesn’t cause YOU problems.
    Heh heh, all things considered, that oughta make me feel guilty for not liking the XJS more

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    My Little Green Machine comes with attachments, a wide vacuum nozzle, a crevice tool with a brush around it. I don`t remember if the brush comes off the crevice tool but I can see the brush getting in the way in tight area...[and]...The garage Shop Vac is one of those stainless steel one. It does a good job. To bad there wasn`t a attachment for a Shop Vac, like a motorized rotating beater brush. This way the carpet gets brush and vacuum at the same time..
    IME those rotating brushes don`t always work as well as one would like..to put it mildy!

If the brush on your LMG is a problem, I`d just buy a replacement and tear its brush off. Or buy a different Crevice Tool that doesn`t have one and figure out an adapter to use it on either the LGM or the Shop Vac. I like the older Bissell Crevice Tools (forget the exact pn#, I find `em cheap on ebay) better than any others and use one of those on my Extractor as well as on my other wet/dry vacs.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried wiping the grease off using a degreaser, then when I get the hose back It`s full of grease again. Endless battle that I`m not going to win...
    Yikes, guess that option is off the table!

I just pick up Meguiars Gold Class Vinyl and leather cleaner, just to experiment with.
    Hope its better than any GoldClass stuff I`ve ever tried

Which Ninja are you mentioning about?
    I oughta remember but I don`t Let me run out to the shop and see...eh, [snap] it doesn`t say and I`d have to dig up the paperwork. It`s made by Century 400, big pricey thing that I got about 20 years ago. Requires two (or better yet three) 15a circuits for the suction/spray pumps and the heater.

Would I have to dilute the shampoo a little weaker to be extracted using the Little Green Machine, since it doesn`t have the suction of a professional extractor?
    I don`t do that for fear the weaker dilution won`t do the job. Yes, the rinsing can take a while, but FWIW I hardly *ever* fire up the Ninja/Century as the smaller (and much more convenient) Bissell/Hoover units usually do the job just fine (if a bit slower).

I don`t don`t have any local to me. My next trip up to the shop I`ll look if there any there.
    I bet you can order the stuff from somebody at a cost-effective price. Pro chemicals often work a *LOT* better for problematic jobs, even though the Consumer-level ones are generally OK for most work. I`m just not sure which what you`ll need to go.

Can OxyClean help with odor? My sister has coffee spill in her cup holder, leaking down on the carpets.
    Give it a try, but for Coffee you might need a specialty product. IRRC the ones for coffee are "tannin removers", one of those Pro Chemicals like Protein Stain Removers (for blood) and the stuff made for "red stains" (e.g., wine stains). Or you could use an Odor Eliminator (enzymatic cleaner) from ValuGard, Griot`s, or 3M (or, undoubtedly, others, but those are the ones I`ve used).

I may not have the time I need, working full time at another job. I have to get the trucks done on their schedule.
    OK, I`m realizing your constraints here...the cost, the time..sounds challenging but I bet you`ll be able to do it OK.

I find 1ZCP (gray bottle) has pretty good cleaning ability. I wipe down a dash with GG interior cleaner first then went over it with 1ZCP. The yellow cloth was black after.
    Hey that`s interesting! Maybe I`ve been underestimating what that combo can do.

Do you know if the LA Totally Awesome APC need a damp cloth wipe down?
    I don`t know, but FWIW I do at least that much rinsing with most anything, even "rinseless" cleaners.

What`s better, a drill brush or a hook and loop DA brush?

What type of bristles are better, mild, stiff bristle?

I`ve never used anything on a drill, and IIRC I`ve only used the brushes on my Cyclo, but I`d go with a brush on a DA (note that`s just me).

I use the Gray (or are they supposed to be white?) brushes sold by CycloToolmakers-dot-com and they seem like a good compromise. I wouldn`t use them on leather or low-nap fabrics, but they seem good for everything else. BUT..the thought occurs that I`ve had them for a LONG time and they might`ve gotten more gentle as they wore (they don`t seem more aggressive at least, not like the tips have worn down *too* much).
    Thanks carnage thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    As a long ago (late 50`s early 60`s) British car mech, I could have gone the rest of my life NOT thinkin` `bout Lucas Electric. Man some of the problems were a bear to fix let along figure out...
    Yeah, when *Jaguar* said they couldn`t fix the Mystery Drain that was a clue. Every guy since has confidently said he`d fix it, but 35 years later nobody has.
    Thanks BillE thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    Can the coarse side be used on leather?

Are the TufShine sponge like one of those dish sponge with Scotch Brite green pads?

They only Look like them, but are not nearly as aggressive as a Scotch Brite Green Sponge.. I buy lots of them at detailed image dot com website, since I can not find them here..
    I have used this same sponge on all really dirty areas of vehicles and never hurt anything.. Including some leather, you always have to be careful with leather, some hides are very thin, not coated very well, easier to damage if you are not careful..

These sponges are also great for very dirty hand cleaning and that dark brown side is not so aggressive that it tears your fingers up either, so perhaps that will help you decide if you want to try one or not.. They are very inexpensive for what they do.. I use them for all cleaning in the house too.

Through a Google search AutoGeek did sell them at one time. Probably was a slow seller.

Thanks!

The problem with 1Z/Nextzett, it`s not cost effective, as you mentioned.

Has the chemicals, formula change with Cockpit Premium since the gray bottles, beside the scent?
    The people of Einszett who took over ownership of their company and renamed it Nextzett said they were not going to change any formulas except perhaps for the better..
    I have an old 500Ml jug of Cockpit Premium, that is almost gone; I have not purchased the new Nextzett bottle, but I would not worry about being so different from the old..

Dan F
    Thanks carnage thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    ..I have an old 500Ml jug of Cockpit Premium, that is almost gone; I have not purchased the new Nextzett bottle, but I would not worry about being so different from the old..
    Maybe I`ll let you Beta-test the new version and then consider restocking Not that I`m going through it fast (one spritz on the MF per car usually does it).
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information