Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for interior cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    No, I do not know what happened to Meguiar`s D107.. Interesting to see it is still out there on the Internet, and not at a few Detailing Stores on the Internet any longer.. Even Meguiar`s website does not offer it..

Depending on what you are cleaning and at what mixture (10:1, 4:1), you may want to wipe it off entirely with a dry towel or a damp towel.. I use a combo of Cleaner, Steam, and Extractor (especially on carpets, cloth seats), so I never leave the product behind.. I have -never- hurt anything on the floor with these products either..

I like to use this brush on pretty much all the floor work, door panels if they are that dirty, and never on the Dash.. Usually just a wipe off with microfiber, cotton, etc., gets everything off the first time..
    Here is the best brush I have ever used for this AND tires.. https://www.autopia-carcare.com/tuf-...l#.XX1AvdWpH3g

On the Dash, depending on what it is, I use a microfiber outside, sponge inside, little rectangle.. They sell them everywhere.. Easy to use, effective, easy to rinse out..

I -never- get any APC product on the dash screen/gauges/nav screen, etc.. I don`t want to know what it will do to that type of sensitive clear plastic ever, thank you..

Looks like you have a variety of great cleaners already..

There are specialized carpet shampoos from people that clean them professionally.. I have used - Pro`s Choice Extreme Clean Powder, along with Chemspec Crystal Defoamer, Powder along with my Mytee HP60 Extractor to get the worst oil, etc., stuff out of some carpets, successfully.. The same brush listed above will work fine, you can find narrower versions on the Web,,

The only thing I can offer since you already have a great selection, is that the Meguiar`s product at either 10:1 or 4:1 in a 30-ounce bottle, works great for everything, is low foaming, the D107 even more low foaming, and smells great afterwards, if you did a great job..

Dan F
    Is the Tuf Shine brush kind of stiff, or firm bristle to use on interiors? Usually tire brushes has stiff bristles.

I still have the old microfiber scrubbing pads that look like a waffle weave microfiber with a foam core. Do you think this would work on the hard plastic, dash, door panels? I got it from Proper Auto Care.

I thought about using a Meguiar`s Microfiber Pad on a DA polisher with interior cleaner sprayed on them for the nasty stuff on the hard plastic.

The specialized carpet cleaner I don`t know of any. I thought about using the Bissell cleaner that came with my Little Green Machine. I need a carpet cleaner the cleans effectively but can be thoroughly rinsed by my Little Green Machine.

When the person before me used to the trucks he bought all the cleaners, detailing products. They were in 5 gallons containers marked carpet cleaner, plastic cleaner, etc. I have no clue what brand name products I was using. No one in the garage knows either. Now that I ran out of supplies I have no clue what to get.

Last year I tried a few dedicated interior cleaner like Griots, Britemax Meguiars interior detailer, It didn`t work out to good. I would like to find a effective spray and wipe interior cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

What Shop Vac attachments are good at carpet vacuuming?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    What does BHBS mean?
    Sorry... BHBs = Boar`s Hair Brushes. Great things, I use `em every time I clean anything on any vehicle, but they`re almost certainly too gentle for this.

I would be surprised if a Tire Brush were gentle enough to be truly safe (though I`ve never tried the TuffShine one). I`ve marred *tire sidewalls* with them! (Soft compound Summer tires, but still, same brush was fine on all my others.)

I was going to use the APC for anything I can remove from the vehicles, car mats, liners. Then I was going to hose off the APC off the mats, liners.

The main concern is the mats, floors can`t be slippery when the workers goes in with wet boots. Whatever I use has to be thoroughly remove or rinse.
    No APC/other cleaner that I can think of has ever left any slippery residue behind as long as I rinsed it off decently, which you need to do anyhow so the residue doesn`t retain dirt. I`ve scrubbed the rubber floors in cop cars with APCs with no problems and use such stuff on the usky FloorLiners in the Tahoe with zero problems.

IMO your MF-on-PC approach will also be too gentle (MF is generally a lot more gentle than cotton, and I wouldn`t expect cotton to be very aggressive at all). I use plastic-bristle brushes on the Cyclo for lots of interior scrubbing and those`re *VERY* aggressive compared to what you`re considering. No, I probably wouldn`t use that approach on the Audis or the Jag(!) but I do use it on the dog-haulers when needed.

All-in-all, IMO you`re doing the (generally admirable!) "try the least aggressive approach first, do no harm, etc." thing to maybe a bit of an extreme for Work Trucks and I`d hate for you to waste time/effort if you can avoid it.
    Thanks carnage thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

What Shop Vac attachments are good at carpet vacuuming?
    Ones with narrow openings. Those concentrate the suction (and/but make the vacuum work harder, though it`s never bitten me...yet).

Lots of guys use compressed air for this (though I seldom do), and steamers can be great (but they can also melt some carpets, BTDT so be careful).

The great thing about an extractor, well...a potent one...is that they can really spray solution/rinse water (I use the sprayer for the latter *exclusively*) down in there, very effective. The Shop Vac will suck stuff out OK (with the right, narrow-opening, nozzle), but that`s only part of it (but OK, it`s a big part!).

FWIW, many of today`s "consumer-level" Carpet Shampoos have surprised me by being really good! I still think companies like ChemSpec make the best ones, but the last few batches of Hoover/Bissell/Dirt Devil/etc. have worked quite well for me, and they rinsed out fine.

But note that, again, I only run rinse water through the extractor`s sprayer unless said extractor has a "clear water rinse" capability.

Note that if rinsing is a problem, you can get dedicated Rinse Agents from ChemSpec/etc. to use in place of the clear water.

And those Defoamers are indeed worth using IME, at least when using lots of potent Carpet Shampoo.

Yeah, Griot`s Interior Cleaner (which I do use all the time) is so gentle that it basically...heh heh..doesn`t even hurt the dirt I dunno if you`ll find a cleaner potent enough to work effectively without some degree of mechanical agitation...I`m guessing that those trucks might be a little nasty.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry... BHBs = Boar`s Hair Brushes. Great things, I use `em every time I clean anything on any vehicle, but they`re almost certainly too gentle for this.
    I forgot all about Boar`s hair Brush (BHBs). Last year I tried a leather brush, but it was to mild for scrubbing, the dash, door panels, etc.

I would be surprised if a Tire Brush were gentle enough to be truly safe (though I`ve never tried the TuffShine one). I`ve marred *tire sidewalls* with them! (Soft compound Summer tires, but still, same brush was fine on all my others.)
    I marred up All Season tire using the Mother`s Tire Brush.

No APC/other cleaner that I can think of has ever left any slippery residue behind as long as I rinsed it off decently, which you need to do anyhow so the residue doesn`t retain dirt. I`ve scrubbed the rubber floors in cop cars with APCs with no problems and use such stuff on the usky FloorLiners in the Tahoe with zero problems.
    When I was younger I didn`t know much about detailing or car cleaning. I use something to clean the carpet stains, dirt spots, but use a cotton cloth to wipe up the excess cleaner, dirt off the carpet. Along with a shop vac.

Everytime my sneakers are wet in the car it get slippery. I think I spray water and used a shop vac to suck up the water as a rinse. Then, when it was fully dry I put in floor mats. Solved that issue, no more slippery carpet.

I use APC on my WeatherTech liners, D101. I spray, scrub, rinse, then wipe dry, and let them sit for awhile to air dry. There`s some fading, but I don`t know if it from the APC or from using them, dolor fading.

IMO your MF-on-PC approach will also be too gentle (MF is generally a lot more gentle than cotton, and I wouldn`t expect cotton to be very aggressive at all). I use plastic-bristle brushes on the Cyclo for lots of interior scrubbing and those`re *VERY* aggressive compared to what you`re considering. No, I probably wouldn`t use that approach on the Audis or the Jag(!) but I do use it on the dog-haulers when needed.
    I read about the MF on PC approach on a different forum. They use the MF pads on a leather sofa with great result.

All-in-all, IMO you`re doing the (generally admirable!) "try the least aggressive approach first, do no harm, etc." thing to maybe a bit of an extreme for Work Trucks and I`d hate for you to waste time/effort if you can avoid it.
    The company owner want the trucks as clean as possible, because these trucks aren`t going to be cleaned until the end of the season. The workers don`t clean the trucks just make the mess.

I`m trying to find out what products were use from the previous detailer. There no labels on the containers, just a sharpie what the products are for like carpet cleaner, plastic cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Ones with narrow openings. Those concentrate the suction (and/but make the vacuum work harder, though it`s never bitten me...yet).
    I did a google search, are they called a crevice tool?

Lots of guys use compressed air for this (though I seldom do), and steamers can be great (but they can also melt some carpets, BTDT so be careful).
    The shop has compressed air,it just a matter of finding a air line no one using and not full of grease.

The great thing about an extractor, well...a potent one...is that they can really spray solution/rinse water (I use the sprayer for the latter *exclusively*) down in there, very effective. The Shop Vac will suck stuff out OK (with the right, narrow-opening, nozzle), but that`s only part of it (but OK, it`s a big part!).
    I don`t know if I would need a commercial grade extractor. I only do these 6 trucks that I would need an extractor for. None of my cars, SUV or friends, family get that dirty that I would need a extractor for.

I`m hoping the interiors are all vinyl.

Does some of the Shop Vac has the same amount of suction or lift power as a commercial extractor? I think I read something about it on one of these forums.

FWIW, many of today`s "consumer-level" Carpet Shampoos have surprised me by being really good! I still think companies like ChemSpec make the best ones, but the last few batches of Hoover/Bissell/Dirt Devil/etc. have worked quite well for me, and they rinsed out fine.
    Where is the best place to look at ChemSpec shampoos?

Can the ChemSpec be use with the Little Green Machine?

I`m planning to put the shampoo in a spay bottle diluted. then spray the carpets, scrub with a medium stiff brush, them use the LGM to spray plain water and extract the dirty water, then if needed I`ll use a Shop Vac to get rid of more water if needed.

But note that, again, I only run rinse water through the extractor`s sprayer unless said extractor has a "clear water rinse" capability.
    I only use my Little Green Machine for rinsing with plain water.

And those Defoamers are indeed worth using IME, at least when using lots of potent Carpet Shampoo.
    Bissell has the shampoo with defoamer. I don`t know how well it works.

Yeah, Griot`s Interior Cleaner (which I do use all the time) is so gentle that it basically...heh heh..doesn`t even hurt the dirt I dunno if you`ll find a cleaner potent enough to work effectively without some degree of mechanical agitation...I`m guessing that those trucks might be a little nasty.
    I tried Griot`s 1st and 2nd version of interior cleaner. It not for dirty interior. The only product I tried that did a good job was 1Z Cockpit Premium, the old gray bottle. I tried my stuff for experimental purpose only to see what works. The interior could use a dedicated interior cleaner, with good cleaning ability.

I`m not going to try steam. The truck are too expensive for a accidental goof up.

Whatever product I decide to get, I have to run it by the owner first since he paying for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Look into P&S Interior cleaner....can be had for about 16.00 a gallon and is dilutable (if you choose) to 2:1. I invested in a drill brush for agitation on nasty floors, and a softer one for seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, you mention the old Jag quite a bit...I`m curious: I assume it still looks pretty good, knowing you from the forum. Does it still run? Is it a 6 or a 12? None of my business so feel free to ignore my nosiness.

Post Thanks / Like

Any recommendation on which carpet shampoo?
    I would suggest Optimum Polymer Technologies` Carpet and Fabric Cleaner & Protectant. I would NOT suggest using their Power Clean APC on carpets as the fragrance/odor is much too "industrial" and it lingers within the fabric material of carpets or seats. While it might be OK for spot cleaning on carpets or seats, like an oil or grease sttain, I would suggest using O-CFC&P full strength instead. It may take multiple applications and extractions, but it does work well for me, even on older "organic" stains (food). Two stains it does NOT work on: old red dyes, like fruit punch or old dirty motor oil stains. A stain is a stain: it sometimes does not come out.

Another spot cleaner is WD-40`s Spot Shot. Many detailers in the past have used over-the-counter all-purpose lubricant WD-40 for removing oil and grease stains, but the fish-like smell is a little strong in a carpet or fabric, even though it dissipates over a few days. Spot Shot is like "denatured" WD-40 for carpets and fabrics, including clothing. AND, it`s available over-the-counter at Walmart for about $4.00.

Has anyone used Meguiar`s Detailer Line D106 fiber Rinse and Tannin Stain Remover or D116 Protein Stain Remover?? The first is a little expensive; about $63 for a gallon, and the second is a little more "reasonable"; about $30 for a gallon.

For the OP`s question about a suggestion for an all-in-one interior cleaner, I would second Meg`s Detailer Line D101 All-Purpose Cleaner. It works well when diluted to about 4:1 for MOST cleaning situations. I would caution using it on leather at that ratio, and would suggest using it at 10:1 on coated leathers.

And please do not laugh at this suggestion, but the Dollar General Store`s L.A. Totally Awesome is a cheap and effective cleaner (AKA cost-effective), but I am not enamored with the fragrance/smell for use in a vehicle`s interior. The label has suggestion for rations to use for various cleaning situations. Works great for clothing stains when doing the laundry. Noted forum member and detailer Justins00ss uses this cleaner as an exterior degreaser/cleaner. Please see:
    https://www.autopia.org/forums/click...t=#post2153843 post #7.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I use LATA all the time not only for vehicles, but for around the house. I consider it a staple cleaner no one should be without.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a google search, are they called a crevice tool?
    Yes. That`s what I use. I buy Crevice Tools made for Bissell extractors and cobble together adapters so I can use them with my other ones too.

The shop has compressed air,it just a matter of finding a air line no one using and not full of grease.
    Heh heh, that grease could be an issue, huh?!? Just thought it was worth mentioning, I hardly ever go that route anyhow but others sure rave about it.

I don`t know if I would need a commercial grade extractor. I only do these 6 trucks that I would need an extractor for. None of my cars, SUV or friends, family get that dirty that I would need a extractor for.
    Eh, IMO you`ll be OK with the LGM and Shop Vac.

I`m hoping the interiors are all vinyl.
    That`d sure simplify things!

Hey, thought just occurred to me: the 1Z/NextZett Plastic Cleaner ("Deep Cleaner" or somesuch name) is supposedly All That. EVERYONE who tries it loves the stuff.

Does some of the Shop Vac has the same amount of suction or lift power as a commercial extractor? I think I read something about it on one of these forums.
    I don`t know. I once had a Sears Extractor Conversion Kit for my Craftsman Shop Vacs and it was OK but not really better than my Bissell/Hoover extractors and sure not in the same class as my Ninja. BUT..there are lots of different "shop vacs" and yours might be better than mine.

Where is the best place to look at ChemSpec shampoos?
    Find the nearest Carpet Cleaning (or Janitorial) Supply place. The Carpet Cleaning Pros in your area get their stuff somewhere, and that would be my approach.

Can the ChemSpec be use with the Little Green Machine?
    Yes. All such stuff is just...well...carpet shampoo of varying strengths/quality. I`ve *NEVER* had any problems using anything in anything, other than some foaming issues (which the Defoamer solves just fine).

I`m planning to put the shampoo in a spay bottle diluted. then spray the carpets, scrub with a medium stiff brush, them use the LGM to spray plain water and extract the dirty water, then if needed I`ll use a Shop Vac to get rid of more water if needed.
    That sounds like what I do! And while it can sound awfully, uhm..infomercial, OxyClean can help too.

I only use my Little Green Machine for rinsing with plain water.
    Right, same here with my units like that.

Bissell has the shampoo with defoamer. I don`t know how well it works.
    Give it a try, might be great. No real harm if not other than wasted time.

I tried Griot`s 1st and 2nd version of interior cleaner. It not for dirty interior. The only product I tried that did a good job was 1Z Cockpit Premium, the old gray bottle.
    Yeah, the GG is very mild. I`m still using up my 1ZCP in that same bottle, it`s lasted me for many years! Doesn`t do much cleaning, but it`s fine for quickie dusting jobs.

The interior could use a dedicated interior cleaner, with good cleaning ability.
    Try the NextZett Deep Cleaner or that LA Totally Awesome (if it`s good enough for Bill D...).

I`m not going to try steam. The truck are too expensive for a accidental goof up.
    That`s smart.

Whatever product I decide to get, I have to run it by the owner first since he paying for it.
    Good stuff oughta be worth the expense and I bet it won`t be all that pricey if you buy commercial products/large sizes.

Post Thanks / Like

E-Jag- Let me PM you so I don`t [crap] all over this thread, and discussions of that Problem Child tend to seem that way, at least to me.

EDIT: can`t get the PMing to work. So...with apologies to the others on this thread, here goes a rant

Short Version:

`85 XHS-HE w/V12. ~20K miles. Rhodium Silver (single stage) Metallic, Oxblood leather, and I still have the original tires on the oe rims. I bought it new with help from my terminally-ill mother (hence sentimental attachment). It oughta be in wonderful shape as I`ve always done my best and didn`t get it until I knew what I was doing, BUT..

At best it`s Story Car. Repainted in at least *six* places during initial build, two more spots at point-of-import (which failed after a couple years), and [botched] spot-ins by supposedly good shops over the years. Cosmetic damage from shops I thought I could trust, unfixable damage (latest: my Tech caused an "outie" dent on the hood and my "good" painter killed a front fender with his rotary after I specifically told him, in detail, what he could/couldn`t do on the car!! Both of which happened without anybody telling me anything or taking responsibility when I called `em on it). Can`t even get the paint custom-mixed any more so no way to even try fixing it if I wanted to (I refuse to have it done in b/c, period). Hey, at least it`s not rusty.

It does run fine, and it`s never let me down (other than waiting on Vapor Lock a few times) even though the battery won`t hold a charge (never has since new, nobody can fix). It had a laundry list of issues right from the jump...Jag offered to buy it back under warranty over all its problems and I should`ve let `em have it.

Eh, TBH, I`ve never really enjoyed driving it all that much and I just don`t care enough to put in the time it`d take to get it back in service. It`s not really a "car" to me, just, uhm.."an interesting mechanical device that I`m a used to having around". But that damage [ticks] me off every time I see it now so, eh...I don`t know what I`m gonna do so I just don`t do anything.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would`ve been homicidal. My E `vert, which I sold last year, never failed to get me from point A to point B and back, but Lord that old gal ran rough sometimes. Only way I could afford it after awhile was because my mechanic was also my client and usually worked on it at his home - he had a great shop. It got to the point, though, where parts were more expensive than diamonds. I finally bit the bullet (thought about swallowing the barrel) and did a complete resto then stored it in my sister/b-i-l`s garage when I moved to Florida. Took me years to recover from that. Sold it because I absolutely can`t/won`t handle the parts/maintenance. I`m certain that every Jag owner has his stories. Jag never had any quality control until Ford bought the company. With the $ I spent on that car I could`ve bought Ford. But if I had it all to do over again, I would. Thanks for your reply, I`ve long wondered about that. Never drove a V-12 anything.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the Tuf Shine brush kind of stiff, or firm bristle to use on interiors? Usually tire brushes has stiff bristles.

I still have the old microfiber scrubbing pads that look like a waffle weave microfiber with a foam core. Do you think this would work on the hard plastic, dash, door panels? I got it from Proper Auto Care.

I thought about using a Meguiar`s Microfiber Pad on a DA polisher with interior cleaner sprayed on them for the nasty stuff on the hard plastic.

The specialized carpet cleaner I don`t know of any. I thought about using the Bissell cleaner that came with my Little Green Machine. I need a carpet cleaner the cleans effectively but can be thoroughly rinsed by my Little Green Machine.

When the person before me used to the trucks he bought all the cleaners, detailing products. They were in 5 gallons containers marked carpet cleaner, plastic cleaner, etc. I have no clue what brand name products I was using. No one in the garage knows either. Now that I ran out of supplies I have no clue what to get.

Last year I tried a few dedicated interior cleaner like Griots, Britemax Meguiars interior detailer, It didn`t work out to good. I would like to find a effective spray and wipe interior cleaner.
    Carnage ---

The Tuf-Shine Tire Brush is not really stiff compared to other "tire brushes", but it can still thoroughly clean tires very well.. I have worn out several of them after years of use.. They are very inexpensive..

The Tuf-Shine people also make an amazing cleaner sponge that I have used since they were invented, and have several always on hand in the Shop.. They have this dark fabric on one side laminated to a soft green sponge on the other side.. The dark, coarser side of course, cleans really well and i have yet to hurt something with it.. You have to use common sense with all things and just figure out what is the best tool/s to use that day for that job.. This sponge cleans very well, is very easy to rinse out, and if you rinse it out, it will live forever and NEVER hold stuff in and Smell...

Here are links to these products -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/tuf-...l#.XX_-YNWpH3g

Shoot !! Autopia and AutoGeek does NOT sell the cleaner sponge !!!! WHY ???
    Well, it`s called the TufShine Scrub All Sponge, google it, buy a few, you can thank me sometime..

Since you are talking now about a dedicated interior plastic cleaner, I also vote for Einszett, now called Nextzett Deep Plastic Cleaner.. I have used gallons of it over decades and it absolutely will clean plastic and leave it looking nicely afterwards.. It is not cheap like regular cleaners, but for my business plan, on very expensive vehicles, it is all I will ever use. It`s proven itself over decades of use.. It works very fast, and does not require a rinse.. You cannot use it on hot surfaces on in the sun, etc... Has a nice smell to it that is a -clean-smell.. I believe you can purchase it in a big 5L plastic jug still...

The Germans have a whole better over view on how to clean many things, and were probably doing this way before America figured out how to clean plastics, anyway..

Dan F
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I can highly recommend the Ultima Interior Schampoo Gel. Used it this weekend on the interior and even if it`s very gentle to the materials you use it on it`s still has a very good cleaning ability from it. On some interiors I don`t like to use the APCs that you need to be following up with a wet/damp mf towel. And this Ultima ISG gets the job on even the tougher stains. Then of course you can get a stain that you need to be useing a special chemical to desolve it. But it`s as powerfull as the APC I have used and even stronger than some. It also leaves a fresh scent behind. On flat areas I spray it on the surface or in the mf towel. Wipe it over the surface and do it once more and done. If I would get some left of it on the surface I wipe it off with a dry mf towel. That`s rare it happens as if you don`t use to much of it it evaporate spot free from the surface. If I have a build up of dirt I spray directly on it and use a little interior brush and loosen it up and then wipe it up. Have done a Nissan Navarra truck with it that is used in the forrest for transportation to the forrester machine. These you get that sticky environmental safe hydralic oils on most parts of the interior LOL. And the dust from the trees is not so easy to get off either. But didn`t get any problems with the Ultima Interior Schampoo Gel to clean it up. You notice when the mf towel gets saturated with dirt and grime and just take a new side of the folded mf towel and move on and switch to a fresh one when all of the sides is used. A little goes a long way as with all of the Ultima products. Carpets and fabric material always soak up more solution so there a dedicated carpet and fabric cleaner could be used if you are doing it proffessional. Then I would go with a low foaming carpet cleaner that`s gets easier to rinse out with your Bissel and rinse water. High foaming useally takes longer to rinse it out. You can use the Ultima this way too but since on the expensive side of interior cleaners it`s good to have an alternative one. And also have various of the dedicated stain removers at hand if you are needed to be useing a certain chemical that desolves that kind of dirt.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/ult-6022.html

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/ulti...ampoo-gel.html

One thing that I would consider since you have access to compressed air. Is the Tornador Black with the vacuum attachement to it. With that you can use on most surfaces and it speeds up the work. Just look up so the air compressor has enough cfm and psi and is strong enough to refill the compressor tank while in use. The vacuum attachement gets you a great residue control. And works great as an extractor too with a great vacuum of course.

A Tornador Black Kit

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/torn...aning-kit.html

The individual products

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/torn...ack-z-020.html

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/torn...ocity-vac.html

/ Tony
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information