Post Thanks / Like

Your go to interior cleaner b4 protectant ?

Looking for advice on a product(s) to use cleaning ( degreasing?) on the vinyl interior pieces on my 13’ Avalons ( black ) interior.

Years ago I used to use a diluted “Simple Green” mixture on the interior of my 300zx before applying a protectant.

What do you guys use?
    Is “Simple Green” still a go to?
    Is it safe?
    Is there anything better?

Thank you.
    -Spice&Wood83

*I`ve done some searches but haven`t found any recent posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your go to interior cleaner b4 protectant ?

Spice&Wood83- I use Interior Cleaners from Griot`s (very mild) and Ultima (no rinsing!) for light work, APCs for more aggressive jobs, and Optimum Power Clean for any greasy/oily messes. Others here use products that sound a *lot* better (for aggressive work) and maybe they`ll chime in...the 1Z/Nextzett Plastic Deep Cleaner (or something like that, forget just what the name is) gets rave reviews from everybody who`s tried it.

I`m not among the Simple Green Haters, but I don`t use it for anything automotive.

FWIW, and I bet it`s not worth much in your case , 99.95 of the time I just wipe my interiors with an Interior QD and leave it at that. I haven`t actually treated any of my leather interiors for so long I can`t remember when it was, and I don`t think I`ve treated any interior vinyl/plastics for years either.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t believe simple green was ever a go to product for detailing purposes.

Personally I steam clean 90% of the time, when needed my steamer has detergent injection which I use Poorboys APC+D mixed at 15:1. Usually don`t need any more than that.
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mr Clean multi surface cleaner. Does a great job at removing greasy stuff. Same use principle as ONR.

This is an after shot after I cleaned after asking the dealer to clean again my new to me car.

Likes JRoDDz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use Blackfire Interior Cleaner. It works very well. Another product that works well for all of my dashboard and console surfaces is Nextzett Cockpit Premium. It leaves behind a great low-shine, clean finish.
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don`t see anything wrong with Simple Green.
    Until I got so involved with the detailing forums ten years ago, it was my go-to for interior work, with 10:1 and 4:1 bottles always on my supply shelves. It`s safe for virtually any surface, except for rumors of being harmful to uncoated aluminum, wipes clean without rinsing and leaves a smooth, non-tacky surface. Lately, my go-to APC is Meguiars D101 at 4:1 and 10:1, depending on need.
    Nowadays, since I rarely work on a really filthy interior, I mainly use two products for maintenance of interior smooth surfaces, Optimum Opti-Clean or Meguiar`s Quick Interior Detailer, the more aggressive of the two. Both can be used as a one-step, or followed with a dressing. For stubborn areas, there`s always some Optimum Power Clean available or the D101. I keep a small spray bottle of the OOC in my console and often clean my leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob if I`m sitting at a long traffic light.
    Simple Green also has a reformulated Pro HD product that is aircraft-approved for aluminum, but I don`t like it as much as the original. It doesn`t dry with the same smooth, slick finish as the original Green, so I never use it on interior surfaces.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, it`s rare for me to work on an interior that`s really bad. My go-to is Griots Interior Cleaner, or in the case of a simple wipe down, McKees Fast Interior Detailer. I`ve not tried it yet, but I`ve heard good things about CarPro Perl diluted 5:1 as an interior dressing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone.
    I ended up going with Car Guys "Super Cleaner".
    Your go to interior cleaner b4 protectant ?-proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg

After I will use Wolfgang "Vinyl & Rubber Protectant"..
    Your go to interior cleaner b4 protectant ?-31pw89w42el.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Spice&Wood83- Hope those fit the bill. If you get a chance, post back about how they work for you.

Thread Information