Post Thanks / Like

Question Leatherique tips?

Hello all,

I recently got a 2009 Toyota Rav4 from my dad; its got tan leather interior that I don`t think has been treated with anything for quite a long time. I read a few things here and decided to get the 32oz Leatherique kit with the applicator pads, microfiber towels, and brush. I used it Sunday, and I was kind of underwhelmed; the leather improved but it didn`t seem to match up to the gushing reviews I read here. I starting thinking maybe I didn`t really apply it well enough, so I wanted to explain what process I used to see if anyone has suggestions to improve. I didn`t really know how or when to use some of the products included in the kit, so maybe that was part of the problem. Anywho, here goes:

I applied rejuvenator using a spray bottle and my hand, with a disposable vinyl glove on. I didn`t know if I needed to "work" it in or not, so I mostly just rubbed all the areas of the seat a bit. After applying to all seats and the steering wheel, I closed all windows, slid open the sunroof cover (but left the sunroof itself closed), and ran the car with heater and seat heaters on for about 15 minutes to get it started. I let the product dwell for about 7 hours, on a 99 degree partly cloudy day, with the car parked in my driveway. After the 7 hours, I sprayed the pristine clean on the seats with a spray bottle, and rubbed it into the seat with one of the round yellow applicator pads included in the kit. I did drivers seat, then the passenger seat; upon completing the passenger seat, I went back to the drivers seat and wiped with a damp microfiber (one of the ones included in the kit), and routinely dunked it back into a bucket of water to keep it clean-ish. Once I had wiped everything with the damp cloth, I followed up with a dry microfiber. Then I followed the same process for the other seats, giving them a bit of time to sit with the pristine clean.

So; is there something I could do better? Should I be using the applicator pads from the kit for more stuff? Just thinking through it on my own, I figured I might try doing it again but applying rejuvenator with the brush. I`m was kinda into detailing about 10 years ago, but haven`t done much since and definitely haven`t used this product, so I`d love any input from all the pros out there!

Thanks for your help,

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leatherique tips?

That`s pretty much the way I do it.

But, there`s no need to turn on the heater in the car if it`s 99 outside.

Just roll up the windows and let the solar heat do it`s job.

One more thing I do. After a couple of hours I`ll recheck the interior.

If it looks like the seats have already sucked up the Leatherique and look dry, I`ll reapply.

I continue checking and reapplying as needed. Then use the Prestine Clean at the end.

I`ve got 4 cars. Two have clearcoated leather and two don`t.

Leatherique on clearcoated leather is pretty much not worth the trouble.

Also, all I do is spray the Prestine Clean on each seat at the end and wipe it off with a dry microfiber.

No need to use a damp or rinsed out microfiber towel to wipe off nor a foam pad to work in Prestine Clean.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JMV -

IMO skip the Leatherique....
    You have coated leather. LQ is meant for non coated leather

I would just use a decent cleaner, horsehair brush and scrub the leather clean...this does wonders where dirt is in the little graining of the leather, every micro/macro crack. Then I would just rinse wipe with water spritz/MF wipedown. That`s all that`s really needed for leather.

With that said, you can apply leather conditioner and due to age of car/leather, the conditioner may make it`s way into the leather on the micro pores/micro cracks that are in the leather. But it`s not going to be a night/day difference IMO.
    Likes dcjredline liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m doing mine now as we speak. First day I soaked everything, brushed it around, turn the car on, turned on hgeat full blast with the heated seats on and it`s 85 degrees out. Seats reached about 140 degrees, it really soaked up everything. Day two recoated everything and parked on the roof level of the train station. It`s been 3 days now and the leather is really becoming super plush, I`m going to hit it with two more coats though.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    JMV -

IMO skip the Leatherique....
    You have coated leather. LQ is meant for non coated leather

I would just use a decent cleaner, horsehair brush and scrub the leather clean...this does wonders where dirt is in the little graining of the leather, every micro/macro crack. Then I would just rinse wipe with water spritz/MF wipedown. That`s all that`s really needed for leather.

With that said, you can apply leather conditioner and due to age of car/leather, the conditioner may make it`s way into the leather on the micro pores/micro cracks that are in the leather. But it`s not going to be a night/day difference IMO.
    Thats what I thought first thing too. No need for that expense and time with the leather in a 2009 man. Did they turn out well? Lets see some pics and befores if you have them
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I feel pretty dumb now, dropping all that coin on the big leatherique kit. I should have asked first!!

I`ve yet to try a second round; I will probably give it a shot anyway since I already have all the product. Part of the reason I sprang for the leatherique is because i *think* the leather is holding on to a greasy/oily/old-car-parts kind of smell that I wanted to get rid of. It got a bit better after the first application. Is there another specific product you guys would recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    I`m doing mine now as we speak. First day I soaked everything, brushed it around, turn the car on, turned on hgeat full blast with the heated seats on and it`s 85 degrees out. Seats reached about 140 degrees, it really soaked up everything. Day two recoated everything and parked on the roof level of the train station. It`s been 3 days now and the leather is really becoming super plush, I`m going to hit it with two more coats though.

I presume we are talking true dyed non coated leather right?

I jumped off the RJVO, Leathermasters bandwagon a looong time ago. I have some of Mr. Ko`s stuff but that`s mainly just because I want to have something in my stash ?

Post Thanks / Like

if there was a shine or sheen to the leather before you started Leatherique treatment, it`s most likely coated.

If the finish was flat and or perforated it`s not coated.

I go old school with a Woolite/water combo as a mild cleaner for coated leather.

You can use a softer scrub brush and wipe off with rinsed out microfibers.

I treat it with Zaino Z10 or Duragloss 221. IMO they both work the same, just depends on product availability.

if it`s uncoated Leatherique/Prestine Clean.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some of Mr. [Koh]`s stuff but that`s mainly just because I want to have something in my stash ?
    That Leather Doctor stuff is great IME. I was pretty surprised how well I like it, not that I`m gonna bother with all that very often (and I didn`t even bother with the Fat Liquoring).

I could never bring myself to bother with the Leatherique, ended up giving it away to another Autopian. I suppose it must work great since so many people say it does, but I`m just not gonna use stuff like that when I can use "cleaner" and much easier approaches instead.

The Leather Doctor stuff is simple to understand and also to use: Clean with slightly alkaline cleaner, rinse with slightly acidic rinse agent, protect with clean-to-the-touch protectant, done. None of the products is remotely messy...the Rejuvenator Oil just isn`t something I want to introduce to my interiors, and I`m not gonna bother pulling them apart. Even the basic Leather Doctor process is a pretty big hassle IMO, so I only bother with it once in a blue moon, been years now actually...good thing leather seldom really *needs* much attention (or at least mine doesn`t).

Post Thanks / Like

I presume we are talking true dyed non coated leather right?

I jumped off the RJVO, Leathermasters bandwagon a looong time ago. I have some of Mr. Ko`s stuff but that`s mainly just because I want to have something in my stash ?
    Yea, very very expensive Hyde. Got a quote for 8k from the original OE for all new Hyde. However there are 3 types not just coated and non coated.

Semi-Aniline vs. Full-Aniline Leathers | FOW Blog

Volvo Hydes are some of the best in the world.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Leatherique tips?

You mention the leather hasn’t been “treated”... But what are you trying to achieve?

Here’s the deal. You are dealing with a 10 year old Toyota. Dunno the wear and tear on it - or miles. But the thing is, it’s leather coated with some kinda urethane and infusing all the lipids in the world into it probably isn’t going to bring back the biggest factor that impacts the appearance - wear to the color/top coat.

You may be able to make it a bit better by cleaning it and softening it up a bit - but that’s about it unless you re-dye the leather. Which isn’t as crazy as it sounds if you are using the same color.

That Leatherique stuff just sounds gross. The leather in my BMW is 10 years old and in good shape because I keep it clean. Not because I use some special product on it. That being said, it’s an M and the 1 bolster has wear. There is nothing that could have been wiped in it to prevent that either. Not the latest nano Korean leather SiO2 self healing 9H Moh self healing leather coating or some special leather honey whose formula has been unchanged since the Lincoln inauguration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    That Leatherique stuff just sounds gross...
    Heh heh, thanks for coming right out and saying that I agree and that`s why I never bothered using mine.

Regulars here know that I`m maintaining leather interiors in a few Dailies with lots of years and very hard miles on `em. I`ve managed to soften up "stiff as cardboard, cracking everywhere" leather just fine, coated or not. Leather Doctor (of course), Leather Masters, Sonus, Ultima, even some stuff from Griot`s..all of them worked great even in situations where "it should`ve have worked out that way". And in the past 40-some years, I`ve replaced *one* seat bolster on one of my wife`s cars..that`s it. My leather simply wears like iron (think "big dogs all the time") with utterly minimal care, and the care I do give it works great even though lots of people say it shouldn`t.

Thread Information