Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Volkswagen Tiguan V-Tex Seats Deep cleanProtection suggestions

Recently picked up a 2014 Tiguan SEL with V-Tex and also a 2018 Passat SE also with V-Tex. What is the best products to use to deep clean and protect the seats? the Passat is new and the Tiguan only has 26k miles on it and the seats are still nice and soft. What products are best to keep the seats in great shape without the seats getting hard and cracking? I am sure the Tiguan hasn`t ever been deep cleaned. I don`t want the seats squeaky or greasy feeling. TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Volkswagen Tiguan V-Tex Seats Deep cleanProtection suggestions

V-Tex seats are definitely interesting, I had them in my old `08 Jetta. I always used a mild degreaser on a microfiber followed up by a lightly damp one. I used Optimum Leather Protectant and it always left a nice natural shine and decent smell. It seems even with care they still cracked on the sides at around 80K. IMO the seats are too stiff after a while and don`t have enough flexibility. I would also definitely look into some window tint as the seats (along with the rest of the interior) was prone to fading.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

I like Gyeon leather

Post Thanks / Like

For cleaning as these are synthetic leather you could use a cleaner/degreaser like Optimum Power Clean diluted 3:1. https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-power-clean-apc.html
    I buy it by the gallon as it has a variety of uses. Sidebar: I even use it to clean stuff around the house like my tiles and grout.

Gyeon leather coat is a nice leather protectant. It has a nice Matte finish to it and is not greasy. https://www.autogeek.net/gyeon-leather-coat.html

This is the combo I primarily use on customers cars and see great results.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the leatherique twins. I wonder if Pristine clean would be good on them? Any issues with trying it? I also have chemical guys leather package. think these should work? Tint is definitely on the short list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeysentra View Post
    I have the leatherique twins. I wonder if Pristine clean would be good on them? Any issues with trying it? I also have chemical guys leather package. think these should work? Tint is definitely on the short list.
    Could you post a photo of the seats as they are today?

Don`t see why any of those products wouldnt work. The VTex seats are more of a synthetic vinyl like leather though correct?

Post Thanks / Like

I will post pics in a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeysentra View Post
    I`m not really a CG fan, but I do like their leather cleaner and the protectant.

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_0110 by mike hall, on FlickrIMG_0112 by mike hall, on FlickrIMG_0113 by mike hall, on FlickrIMG_0114 by mike hall, on Flickr
    The first 2 pics are the Passat seats and the last 2 are the Tiguan seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    Don`t see why any of those products wouldnt work. The VTex seats are more of a synthetic vinyl like leather though correct?
    I was wondering that too...what *is* "V-Tex"?!? Similar to the old MB Tex? That was just a (very nice and tough) vinyl, and thus not something I`d use a Leather Product on. Eh, I never used *any* kind of dressing/protectant on `em, but I`m not saying that`s smart.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Accumulator. I don`t see how a leather "conditioner" type product would be effective on what is likely a vinyl or plastic. There is a lot of debate and differing opinions on leather given that most new leather is actually coated. As the seats wear, there are micro tears from use and in that situation a conditioner type product might actually penetrate the surface and provide some benefit to the leather underneath, but on a newer seat a conditioner isn`t doing anything but sitting on the surface attracting dust and dirt.

I have used the leatherique twins on older hardened leather with good results. Application process is intricate and time consuming, meaning PITA. But the way that product works I see no use for this on a vinyl surface that doesn`t have any actual leather in it. I use Gyeon`s leather coat (which is a sealant not a true coating) on my leather VW seats and love the way it makes the seats feel. As I understand the product it isn`t "conditioning" anything in the sense of trying to moisturize or nourish the hide, its just protecting the surface. I imagine that it would work on a vinyl synthetic leather like V-Tex or MB-Tex. Don`t have any actual experience with those seats though.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

If its vinyl/plastic/etc., then the best thing for that material is products FOR vinyl/plastic, etc., and not leather conditioners...

And you have perforated seat bottoms - be really careful what you put there so as to not clog up those little holes... This is where something made for vinyl/plastic that is clear would be much easier to use on those perforated seat bottoms...
    I have had to clean out each one of those holes on seat bottoms on a few high end vehicles to remove, all kinds of stuff.. You dont want to go there..

I would never use the Leatherique twins on your Interior.. All that oil on vinyl.... It will never all come off.. What if it has a negative effect on vinyl ???
    Perhaps the Prestine cleaner would be ok, but is that overkill for vinyl ???

Perhaps the best thing for this will be damp, microfiber towels...

If had the vehicles here, I would try Einszett Cockpit Premium on them for starters... It is made specifically for vinyl.. It has no silicones..
    Another choice I have is Optimum Leather Protectant, which says it protects leather, vinyl, and moldings.. It says it has UV inhibitors... It has a little leather type of scent..
    Dan F
    Likes RMD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    If had the vehicles here, I would try Einszett Cockpit Premium on them for starters... It is made specifically for vinyl.. It has no silicones.
    Kinda surprising how well you can get by with just using the Cockpit Premium regularly, and it only takes a moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Our ‘09 Jetta has this stuff and its really just vinyl seat with a “leather like” pattern. I have never had any issues with fading colors but the seats are gray.

For or cleaning I usually use ONR, or something like a light APC like Megs UID. For protection I usually use Opti Interior protectant, 303, and early on I used Lexol.

For the most part I really like using Megs QID since it cleans and protects in one step.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    For the most part I really like using Megs QID since it cleans and protects in one step.
    Ah yes, that`s the other Interior QD I use.. Meguiar`s in the US cars, 1Z/NZ in the Euro ones. Yeah, just because

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information