Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tacky plastic coating?

I`ve had mine replaced under warranty but for others out, like the OP, who probably has the mottled look.....I do think either removing to plastic and recovering with something so that the finish is consistent would be the way to go. So either remove and bring back to plastic (if the color will match), or the latter, wrap.

The funny thing is the manuf. choose to use this for whatever the reason is when it`s know to just rub off or get tacky due to breakdown
    Likes agtjamesb007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was driving and thinking about this thread today.....saying, why would manuf. continue to use this sort of finish on plastic.

I suppose it give it textures, a bit of *softness*, that mimics vinyl, but it` for plastic pieces ?
    I mean for knobs, controls, I get.
    But anything larger than a 1" square.......why cover the plastic with this coating. I`ve had inside center consoles that look like hell with keys, coins, and all that good stuff that is usually in a center console..
    Likes agtjamesb007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

mobiledynamics- My Inner Cynic thinks that maybe some, uhm...Consumer Clinics...found people like having the stuff uniformly used in the interior, and that how it ages/etc. is of zero concern because the Target Demographic will just get a new one when the lease expires anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose to some degree. But it`s not like this stuff last 4 years...I`ve had my entire HVAC panel replaced all because of 1 worn button. Light control switches, the list goes on. Some replacement like the light switch, dont have the coating on them....

Uggh. That`s a different discusson I suppose re: difference on replacement having no coating.
    I`m a 4 yearer....and I`m OCD. I`ll replace door sill trim , etc just because. And as crazy as this may sound, but I`m finding half the time the color is off. It`s the same color code....but I guess at the time there are making them, maybe a little more dye, less dye is use and the color is different.

Post Thanks / Like

mobiledynamics- Heh heh, I just had to laugh out loud (literally) at how much your "OCD" mirrors how *I* was about our vehicles for so long! Yes indeed, those minor color mismatches drove me nuts too! Flaws in glass, imperfect plating work, all sorts of stuff that you can drive yourself nuts over...until the day you wake up and somehow just DON`T CARE that much anymore.

And I bet that you`re the rare exception to the rule who *does* get such stuff replaced under warranty. IMO most people would never care enough no matter who`s paying for it. [REPEAT my usual about how nobody I know IRL cares at all, not even the Concours Guys. Nobody.]
    Likes Her car liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Are you guys stripping it off, down to the underlying plastic?

Some other soft-touch areas have worn away on the A8 and V8, we just ignore it and consider it patina.
    Yes I am. My center console came out great except it seems a little bit like cheap plastic without a soft touch coating. Maybe I will dull the shine down. I did my steering wheel also this weekend, however it was a dog of a job to get off. I tried so many things, and I ended up using rubbing alcohol and a Mr. Clean Magic eraser. Both parts were painted btw, and after painging the steering wheel I think it came out great. It didnt come off as "cheap plastic" as the center console because the steering wheel center is a soft plastic to begin with. I am happy with it. Now i feel a slight tackiness on my passenger airbag cover....ugh. I am not touching that. That I wouldn`t be able to paint either.

Oddly enough my dash cam had the same sort of paint on it. It was tacky, would smear with alcohol and would peel off in spots almost like latex paint would. There is information printed on that paint so I cant remove it. No one will see it where it is tucked up anyway, but it kind of bothers me because I know its there. It is beyond me why they use these products in things they know are going to bake in the sun. (other than of course marketing)

Post Thanks / Like

agtjamesb007-= Heh heh...I commend you for doing all that work! After reading that, for now I`m gonna stick with, uhm, just considering it patina
    Thanks agtjamesb007 thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information