Post Thanks / Like

Dyeing interior carpets/upholstery

Considering getting into adding carpet dye to my services. Anyone have some experience with the process and could possibly point me in the right direction for some learning material? Not even sure on the products and the process at this point but I`ve had a large amount of vehicles that I`ve done that could seriously benefit from putting some color back into the fabric. I know I can Google the heck out of this but I`m looking for personal experience as well.

Obviously not going to offer this to customers right away until I`ve figured out what I`m doing, but we all start somewhere!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dyeing interior carpets/upholstery

I had the same idea a few years back. But it ended up being a pain. I never could find anything that would work universally on all carpets. Some dyes would make one carpet look brand new. But on another carpet the fibers would reject the dye and would like you hadn’t touched it. From everything I read most professional carpet people who offer carpet dyeing will pass on vehicles because you have so many variations in carpet in a vehicle. You have some with different synthetic blends of polyester, some with blends of rayon and some natural (cotton, wool etc). Each blend needs it’s own type of dye. Some may take and blend in perfectly. But after a month or so will fade or wear out and look terrible.
    This is just my personal experience. You may find someone else on here with better experiences or better knowledge than I have.
    Likes ShaneB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That’s the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you.

Maybe I’ll pass on the idea. Detail king has a bunch of dyes available and getting setup could be a $1k+ investment so if it’s not that simple I’ll just forget about it

Post Thanks / Like

No problem. I looked at that kit too. That site has a insane mark up on their products. I never could find any information from anyone who bought it. I know you can use Rite dyes with vinegar on natural fibers with some success. One of the most promising things I found was this site below. But I gave up on the idea before I got the chance to try it.

Automotive Carpet Dye - Americolor Dyes
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Thread Information