Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best glass cleaner?

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    Wasn`t there a rag or cloth that all you had to do was wet them with water and wipe the glass, no cleaner. I thought it was all the age here for a while. What ever happen to those?

I don`t use anything pricey, just Glass Plus. It is ammonia free and I have it around for cleaning my eyeglasses as you don`t want the ammonia vapor getting into your eyes when it is flashing off if you put them on right away after drying. For a bug encrusted windshield I use regular old Windex. I use old bath towels, or even old T-shirts(100% cotton), for drying and if it looks streaky grab a newspaper page crumple it up and run it across the glass, it seems to work for me. I quit using microfiber on glass because after I had used them backing the car out of the garage and into the sun I had all those fine microfiber hairs all over the windshield. First time I couldn`t figure out what it was, second time I figured it out and that was the end of them.
    I belive "Fast Glass" towels are what you were referring too. I really like them but tend to do a precleaning if a window is really gross. Just to jeep the towel lasting longer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    Wasn`t there a rag or cloth that all you had to do was wet them with water and wipe the glass, no cleaner. I thought it was all the age here for a while. What ever happen to those?

I don`t use anything pricey, just Glass Plus. It is ammonia free and I have it around for cleaning my eyeglasses as you don`t want the ammonia vapor getting into your eyes when it is flashing off if you put them on right away after drying. For a bug encrusted windshield I use regular old Windex. I use old bath towels, or even old T-shirts(100% cotton), for drying and if it looks streaky grab a newspaper page crumple it up and run it across the glass, it seems to work for me. I quit using microfiber on glass because after I had used them backing the car out of the garage and into the sun I had all those fine microfiber hairs all over the windshield. First time I couldn`t figure out what it was, second time I figured it out and that was the end of them.
    Using newspaper as a last-step wipe for cleaning glass USED to work when the black ink was petroleum-based. Not any more. All newsprint inks are water-based due to EPA VOC (volatile organic compounds) regulations. (Yes, the same ones that have caused cessation of Meg M16 Professional (Blue) Wax and a host of other detailing products.) I know because the company I used to work for made very large 6 and 8-color flexographic printing presses and this water-based ink is what they were designed for.
    I used to use the classified ads or stock price pages from papers because they had the highest concentration of black ink from the small fonts they used. The petroleum-based ink would act as a polishing agent on glass and the paper was a very good absorber. The Wall Street Journal was the best newsprint I used.

I see that Kimberly-Clark makes toweling that is designed for glass cleaning. Looks like the old Scott (which K-C bought out) blue shop toweling I still use today.

Another paper media that can be used in a pinch to clean glass as a last-step wipe are new (not used! Come on, Captain Obvious) coffee filters. Don`t laugh until you try it. Works great on home window glass for spring cleaning.
    GB detailer
    Likes LEDetailng, jtford95 liked this post
    Thanks LEDetailng thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

IMO people oughta at least *try* the Griot`s Polypropylene Window Wipes for the final pass(es). Maybe they won`t be All That for you the way they are for me, but still worth a try.

I can`t help but think that my "no issues really with glass..." comes from using the right stuff, although doing it almost every day of my life *might* give me a little experience-based edge.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the wipes and didn`t like them. The box still sits in my garage
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I tried the wipes and didn`t like them. The box still sits in my garage
    Ah, interesting, appreciate the feedback even though it`s negative (sorry to steer you that way...). Heh heh, your D120 is still sitting in *my* garage too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Ah, interesting, appreciate the feedback even though it`s negative (sorry to steer you that way...). Heh heh, your D120 is still sitting in *my* garage too!
    Let me PM you about an issue I`m having with a foam gun
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lxjeremy View Post
    Wow page two and no votes for Poorboys World?! Once I run out of the rest of PBW I have some PA Diver I am looking forward to trying. I don`t see it replacing PBW at the cost, but just to see what the hype is about.
    Poorboys glass is my go-to..I use diver as a sealant only, not for cleaning since it`s so dang expensive

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using everything - from Sprayway to Griots to newspaper to steel wool to final touch and an eraser sponge! I finally got word from an old science teacher..... Denatured Alcohol & distilled water. 4 ounces to a gallon, pour it in your favorite sprayer and you will never use anything else again. Got any residual from old stickers on windows..in or out? Then pour a little on a paper towel - straight and poof....it`s gone! And it evaporates and leaves NO streaks or marks. Thank me later

Post Thanks / Like

Levrick- Welcome to Autopia!

Heh heh, I`m always a little envious of you folks who get good results from the DIY Glass Cleaners, which just don`t work as well for me. Interesting that the mix works so well for you on adhesives, I need to resort to 3M Adhesive Remover to do it efficiently.

Post Thanks / Like

Any glass cleaner is going to work sufficiently if you are diligent with your process & clean multiple towels. The only EXCEPTION for me is the inside of front & rear windscreens. It`s almost like two different categories IMO. You think you game is good... your test will always be a heavily raked windscreen. So far in my recent testing what`s proving for me to be the most effective is a polish or glaze. The real benefit is in the final buff with the added slip/lubricity a polish gives you. No more lint, you can be as aggressive as you want which is something I can not do in finishing with glass cleaner - sure it`s squeaky clean but to me that`s counterproductive on the final buff.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder why I`m so lucky when it comes to interior glass...maybe it`s just because I do it so often....gotta do the backlight every time I take the dogs out and never noticed it being a hassle even with the defroster grid. But gee, if you do it a few times weekly for decades I guess it oughta get manageable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    Speaking of wiper blades, I always wondered what you should use to clean them. Would putting a rubber dressing/protectant on them make them smear or just not wipe very clean?
    Rubbing alcohol on a blue paper shop towel works like a champ. I saw that tip on a now-defunct forum.

Accumulator will probably remember which one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Wonder why I`m so lucky when it comes to interior glass...maybe it`s just because I do it so often....gotta do the backlight every time I take the dogs out and never noticed it being a hassle even with the defroster grid. But gee, if you do it a few times weekly for decades I guess it oughta get manageable.
    Yep,nothing like dog slime

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using the 100% Streak Free Glass Cloth from Sky`s The Limit Car Care for a few years now. They actually work.

From their website:

Instructions:

• Wet thoroughly (warm water will soften it best on first use)
    • Wring out completely
    • Flatten and fold
    • Wipe dirty surface
    • Walk away

Post Thanks / Like

I use Meguiar`s D120 with surgical Huck towels. 1 gallon of D120 yields 11 gallons of exceptional glass cleaner. I used to think, "What will I do with 11 gallons of glass cleaner?", but then I was seeing the jug going lower and lower and couldn`t understand why. Turns out my spouse was giving this to her friends for doing their windows, shower doors, appliances, etc., LOL. This stuff is inexpensive to start with but often you can get free or flat rate shipping. i.e. Autopia just had 25% off on Meguiar`s products with FRS a week ago. (BTW, TY Autopia, my order arrived in 2 days) Hard to beat the price and this product really does an outstanding job. No streaking and safe on tints.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information