Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Remedy for small after an interior fire ...

What would you guys suggest for removing the smell from a near-new car (2-seater, 2017 model w/ 1500 miles) that had a small interior fire?

Background ... the passenger seat bottom was set on fire. Heat/flames got the headliner & visors - mostly just singing the fabric layer. The drivers seat wasn`t flamed - but fabric layer singed pretty good as with the headliner. Interior cabin got hot & smoky, but damage was isolated to plastics & fabrics. Carpet was heat damaged behind the drivers seat, but going to replace it just because its likely holding odor.

So far, I`ve literally gutted the "entire" interior ... nothing left but wiring & the air control box. I`ve wiped/washed all surfaces that I could reasonably access (tough job). I`ll do the same to all the "reusable" trim panels, including the dash panel.

As of now, with the interior out, the "burnt plastic" smell is faint - but, still there. Plan on going 3,500 mg/hr Ozone for 2-hrs next ... but, wanted opinions before I deployed the "nuclear" option.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remedy for small after an interior fire ...

Poorboy`s makes an enzyme-stain cleaner for fabrics that might be applicable as a cleaner/deodorizer for this application BEFORE you try the ozone generator. They also make an orange-oil based all-purpose cleaner (APC) that may be more effective as a cleaner of vinyl or plastics to remove fire soot.

While what you are doing to clean this fire-related incident in a relatively new vehicle is a viable methodology, I would think the nuclear option of an ozone generator is probably your best option to removing fire odors if the enzyme cleaners do not work effectively.

I would be more interested in HOW this fire started on a seat bottom in the first place in a new vehicle. It doesn`t sound like it`s electrical and hence, a manufacturer defect that would be covered by a vehicle`s warranty. This sounds like a person-induced accident/incident that, I would guess, is just too embarrassing (or illegal) and will not be turned into the vehicle`s insurance under a comprehensive claim. The fact that it happened and how to deal with it is your concern.
    GB detailer
    Likes Poorboy, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`d run the ozone a lot longer. I`d leave mine in there for a good long time, but it only runs ~890mg/hr. Heh heh, "nuclear option" is right! That Big Gun Ionizer you have (3800 is impresive) oughta make some great headway with everything pulled apart.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Lonnie, while everything is out of the car spray and leave Enzyme on all the plastic and fabric pieces ... a good cleaning afterwards with either APC (diluted) or Carpet and Upholstery cleaner

Edit*** Enzyme Stain & Odor Remover. How it works is it needs to come in contact with the source of the odor and the enzymes devour the source of the smell. It works on cloth seats, headliners, carpet, AC vents, anywhere you can get the Enzyme to contact a surface it will kill the odors.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I would be more interested in HOW this fire started on a seat bottom in the first place in a new vehicle. It doesn`t sound like it`s electrical and hence, a manufacturer defect that would be covered by a vehicle`s warranty. This sounds like a person-induced accident/incident that, I would guess, is just too embarrassing (or illegal) and will not be turned into the vehicle`s insurance under a comprehensive claim. The fact that it happened and how to deal with it is your concern.
    I got it at auction (Copart) to repair; so, all that`s been handled. The how is a mystery ... passenger seat bottom was obviously lit, I found remnants of a burnt "phone book" there. Lighter was found under that seat as well. Drivers seat I just can`t understand ... top layer of fabric was singed; and, seat back burnt up maybe 1/3 the way. Additional oddness is that it obviously got much hotter on the drivers side than the passengers ... for example, I`ll have to replace the drivers door panel - but, the passengers is fine. Whatever the case, it had to be doused fairly quickly as nothing was totally "melted".

Literally gutted ...

20180118_191949.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

VW had a problem with heated seats and a similar issue. People were getting burned, literally. Can`t say I recall an actual fire among all the stories, but you have to believe it`s entirely possible for that to occur.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

"Burnt plastic" smell? I say just put it back together and tell whoever you are trying to sell it to that`s just "new car smell". Of course if you are fixing it up for yourself that won`t work...

Post Thanks / Like

Owen72:
    Thanks for relaying the story of this incident and how you came to acquire the vehicle.
    My initial post may have sounded a little "judgmental", since I made the (bad) assumption you were the original owner AND caused (or viewed) this fire incident.
    What was/is even more telling about this assumption is the fact you have not revealed the make and model of this vehicle and you were/are embarrassed to tell us. I (perhaps wrongly), assumed it may be a higher-end vehicle, since it is a 2-seater. Anonymity does have its advantages.

Some of us (well, me in particular) are just plain nosy! As I say, "Inquiring minds want to know...."
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    What was/is even more telling about this assumption is the fact you have not revealed the make and model of this vehicle and you were/are embarrassed to tell us. I (perhaps wrongly), assumed it may be a higher-end vehicle, since it is a 2-seater. Anonymity does have its advantages.

Some of us (well, me in particular) are just plain nosy! As I say, "Inquiring minds want to know...."
    lol .. Now that was a lot`a writing ... would`ve been easier to just ask "what`cha working on?". Didn`t initially mention as it wasn`t really pertinent to the smell/detailing question.

Remedy for small after an interior fire ...-20180113_162435.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Poorboy, Stokdgs, Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Typing without my glasses on!

You know ... I just realized that I titled this thread as "Remedy for small after an interior fire ..."

Should`ve read "Remedy for smell after an interior fire ..."

What I get for typing without my glasses on!! Thanks for the responses ... I`ll pick up some Poor Boy`s products as mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Oxen72- Did you try the ionizer yet? I`m still marveling over how potent yours is

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remedy for smell after an interior fire ...

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Oxen72- Did you try the ionizer yet? I`m still marveling over how potent yours is
    No; haven`t utilized it yet ... didn`t think the unit was very special though, just an el-cheapo eBay model. Maybe their stated specs are off?

Remedy for small after an interior fire ...-l1600.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oxen72 View Post
    No; haven`t utilized it yet ... didn`t think the unit was very special though, just an el-cheapo eBay model. Maybe their stated specs are off?
    Hmmm...maybe, though I don`t want to come across like I`m slamming it. FWIW, something legitimately in that output range would cost more than the ~$500? I paid for my little one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Hmmm...maybe, though I don`t want to come across like I`m slamming it. FWIW, something legitimately in that output range would cost more than the ~$500? I paid for my little one.
    Likely ... but, all things considered, I figured it was worth a try. This`ll probably be the only time it gets used; I`m not a commercial detailer so nothing like that is/was intended.

Some machines, I`ve noticed, are placed "outside" of the vehicle with like a dryer hose feeding the o3 air into the vehicle. This unit says to just place it in the vehicle - for no more that 30mins at that. Hmmm ...

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! I just looked at the picture (by selecting it of the enlarged .pdf) of the gutted interior. When you said gutted, you mean gutted!!
    My hats off to you for your mechanical aptitude and prowess to tackle such a task. That`s a lot of work.

Any news on how you`re progressing on this fire-smell cleanup? (I was bewildered at the original title of small fire, until I read the post and deduced you meant "smell", especially when you included the ozone generator.) Are you replacing any thing, like seat leather covers or carpeting or headliners or door vinyl side/kick panels?
    Also, did you find any thing "unusual" during this interior strip-down that was damaged during this fire, like wiring harnesses?
    The remnants of "burnt phone book pages" thing and " obviously lit" sounds like fodder for a Farmer`s Insurance commercial! "Party goer`s Christmas Eve yule log fire. Yup, we covered it. December 24th, 2017 Queue music: We are insurance, da, da, da, da da, da..."
    GB detailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information