Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remedy for small after an interior fire ...

Oxen72- As long as you cover any rubber stuff (to prevent oxidation), you should be able to run it for a while. AFAIK that`s the idea behind time limits for such stuff. I`ve left mine run on Max for hours and hours with zero problems, but again its rating is way lower.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remedy for smell after an interior fire ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Any news on how you`re progressing on this fire-smell cleanup? (I was bewildered at the original title of small fire, until I read the post and deduced you meant "smell", especially when you included the ozone generator.) Are you replacing any thing, like seat leather covers or carpeting or headliners or door vinyl side/kick panels?
    Also, did you find any thing "unusual" during this interior strip-down that was damaged during this fire, like wiring harnesses?
    The remnants of "burnt phone book pages" thing and " obviously lit" sounds like fodder for a Farmer`s Insurance commercial! "Party goer`s Christmas Eve yule log fire. Yup, we covered it. December 24th, 2017 Queue music: We are insurance, da, da, da, da da, da..."
    Well, I`ve surfaced cleaned everywhere in the "gutted" cabin as much as possible ... and boy is that a tough job! Afterwards, I`d say the smell diminished by 85% ... still there. I hung several small sacks of activated charcoal for absorption; but, the objective is to eliminate the source ... so, I`ll be ozone-ing this weekend to attack that remaining 15%. Smoke rises, so the majority of the soot was in the roof & pillars.

With the dash out, I inspected it & there was no damage. It retained a smell as well though; so, I detailed it with what I had on-hand while I awaited the Poor-Boy`s product. I`d say I got it 95% so far.

Anything along the pillars & roof area(s) was toast (no pun intended). The fire heated the interior pretty good, but I found no hidden damage other than the obvious ~ the seats, headliner, pillar trim, visors, drivers door panel, & smaller plastic parts took the brunt of it. The carpet will go as well ... mostly do to its ability to retain the odor. I`ve repaired several salvage vehicles in my day ... this was the first "burn", and "smell" is definitely the challenge. I wouldn`t have touched the car if there would`ve been panel damage.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Oxen72- As long as you cover any rubber stuff (to prevent oxidation), you should be able to run it for a while. AFAIK that`s the idea behind time limits for such stuff. I`ve left mine run on Max for hours and hours with zero problems, but again its rating is way lower.
    Thanks; I`m going to hit it this weekend - not going to bother rigging a dryer vent hose. I`ll post the "smell" results afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remedy for small after an interior fire ...

Oxen72- OK, looking forward to hearing how it goes. Remember that ions fall down, so try to position it high in the interior (rear package shelf is my usual spot). I can usually close the door on the cord without problems and that keeps everything inside to do its thing. Eh, you already know all that...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Oxen72- OK, looking forward to hearing how it goes. Remember that ions fall down, so try to position it high in the interior (rear package shelf is my usual spot). I can usually close the door on the cord without problems and that keeps everything inside to do its thing. Eh, you already know all that...
    Well, I can report back that I had success with the Ozone treatment ... no more smoke smell (from interior fire) whatsoever inside the gutted cabin. The generator suggested a 30-min treatment - I went for 45-mins. If anything, I should`ve went with the shorter time as I had a bit of a lingering ozone smell afterwards - the ambient temperature(s) being less than 60-degrees didn`t help either. Several days of airing out have eliminated it mostly. The little $56 eBay machine seemed to be worth it!

My Poorboy`s order showed up today, and I`ll go after some interior trim with the enzyme spray - odd thing was the bottle shipped without a trigger sprayer ... hmmm. Typical?

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oxen72 View Post
    Well, I can report back that I had success with the Ozone treatment ... no more smoke smell (from interior fire) whatsoever inside the gutted cabin. The generator suggested a 30-min treatment - I went for 45-mins. If anything, I should`ve went with the shorter time as I had a bit of a lingering ozone smell afterwards - the ambient temperature(s) being less than 60-degrees didn`t help either. Several days of airing out have eliminated it mostly. The little $56 eBay machine seemed to be worth it!

My Poorboy`s order showed up today, and I`ll go after some interior trim with the enzyme spray - odd thing was the bottle shipped without a trigger sprayer ... hmmm. Typical?
    Good to hear of your success, I would still treat it to make sure it does not come back ... you should have gotten a sprayer!
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oxen72 View Post
    Well, I can report back that I had success with the Ozone treatment ... no more smoke smell... The little $56 eBay machine seemed to be worth it!
    Hey, that`s great news! That machine sure *was* worth it IMO!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information