Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

leather cracking? - need advice

The bolsters on my `14 Mercedes c63 are starting to get those creases/cracks. Bought the car about a year ago and the seats were much better then this. Since I`ve had the car I have used lexol products to clean and condition. What can I do to fix this issue? Is this just dirt/grime/etc that needs to be cleaned out or is something more? The lexol products are not helping the situation.

Would leatherique rejuvenator oil and prestine clean do the job? Or would I need a dye? How about swissvax products?

Any other options to reverse this process and get that leather back to looking new?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: leather cracking? - need advice

looks like a a lot of normal wear and tear with dirt build up. https://www.autopia-carcare.com/leat...ation-kit.html usually gets the best reviews from a lot of pros around here. i like the lexol conditioner, but the cleaner doesn`t work well for me either. leather dye is a lot more involved and a last resort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    looks like a a lot of normal wear and tear with dirt build up. https://www.autopia-carcare.com/leat...ation-kit.html usually gets the best reviews from a lot of pros around here.
    Im hoping and a good cleaning with leatherique will greatly improve it. However, I wonder how much better leatheriques cleaning abilities are compared to lexol cleaner (which doesnt help at all)

Post Thanks / Like

You did say outer bolsters....
    Are you making it a ~point~ that when you get in/out, that you are hop/scooting over the outer bolster. And or the passenger....
    The reality is, the outer bolster of any car takes the most abuse, especially with sportish seats like yours where the bolster hugs your contours...

It`s very well possible that the outer bolsters were sprayed for sale, and now as you get in/out, the natural wear texture/lines have shown it`s true colors, which is something IMO you can`t control.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mobiledynamics makes a good point. They may have died them a bit prior to sale.

If you`re looking for something to clean, nourish and protect your seats - you can`t go wrong with this:

https://www.leatherworldtech.com/Lea...lmlcbun250.htm

Although, like every other leather product, it can`t work miracles.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll be the nanny naysayer. Coated seats don`t need any PC or conditioners....It just needs to stay clean so that body oils/dirt does not attract and cause agitation/wear on your CoAteD Leather IMO. They key is consistent wipedowns. They go a loooon way as you keep those 2 things away.

Post Thanks / Like

On my tan leather seats (BMW), a stiff nylon brush and your favorite APC do a great job. I used Meguiars diluted 10 - 1. After the scrub I spray with Griots Leather care spray to get any residue and leave a nice leather scent.

I`ve also coated the seats with Pinnacle Black Label leather coating. Not sure how much that helps to keep things clean.

Post Thanks / Like

I try really hard to swivel my body when getting in and out to avoid dragging my ass and back over the bolsters but its hard for my six foot, 250lb ass to get in and out of this coupe lol

I figured some wrinkles is part of the natural wear n tear and I suppose white leather shows the dirt in the wrinkles even more?. Nevertheless, I ordered the leatherique kit so lets see what happens before having to go to the extreme of adding dye

Post Thanks / Like

I never worry too much about creasing. Of all the leather interiors I`ve had, the only time I`ve ever had to get anything reupholstered it was one side bolster from genuine wear back in the `90s. The Tahoe`s front seats are *HORRIBLY* cracked and creased, but with minimal care they`ve not worsened. The Jag`s seats got creased and cracked back in the `80s and are still OK. Etc etc., while it might strike some as unsightly, it`s never been an actual *problem* for me other than that one time and that was a different situation. Heh heh, sonm of my favorite pairs of dress shoes have been showing that since the `80s too but are still 100% OK.

I`d just keep them clean and conditioned and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

bentz69, if it`s not too late, I would cancel the leatherique kit. If you are set on something *labeled for leather*, even though it`s coated, give Roger a call @ Leather Cleaning & Restoration Products | Leather Doctor
    Thanks m4459 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

That link might get taken down...but yeah, Roger Koh at the Leather Doctor is great. On the rare occasions that I actually do my leather stuff to the best of my ability, that`s what I use. 100% satisfied and it`s all I use in the S8.

And yeah...I gave away my Leatherique twins to a member here, just wasn`t ever gonna bother messing around with that process and wasn`t convinced it was the right/best way to go anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing happened to a buddy but with a BMW. On my advice, he took it to a local upholstery shop and they redyed the bolster. I told him to slide the seat way back when exiting to ease contact with the bolster.
    My Mcoupe is a tiny car, awkward as the dickens to enter and exit and the sliding seat trick has kept my bolster looking great over the years.
    So, redye the bolster and use your seat slide lever or switch.

Post Thanks / Like

Leather is a natural product in itself...
    If one rubs it consitently, the creases that come of it, get deeper by natural wear-n-tear and the user creating it.
    Redying it only MASKS the creases but by regular usage itself, it will show itself in due time - whether it`s 8 months, 12 months, or 24 months. I`d err more on the earlier side..

Bad analogy, but its kinda like a GLAZE for leather.
    Redye is moreso for a *repair*, in which you want get the color consistent IMO.

The OP leather looks fine. Redye would entail both seats so it looks consistent.
    But bearing post#8, the visual eyeball of the already existing cracks will come back. Not as much due to the new dye but for sure it will come back.
    YMMV....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC View Post
    d use your seat slide lever or switch.
    Just keep in mind, depending if you keep your car past 3-4 years....you might have a premature death on the motors. Similar to easy access steering wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

forum member Todd@RUPES made a very good post on leatherique some time ago, unfortunately the ref. photos are no longer on file. still some good info. on using it on treated leathers with good results. Does Leatherique work on coated/pigmented leather?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information