Post Thanks / Like

Help Cleaning Tinted Windows to a streak free result

I normally either spray demin water mixed with IPA in ratio of 70:30 or just plain demin water. I use a large jumbo waffle microfibre towl to wipe off. here is what I have noticed.

The towl when wiped across the windows dry makes a faint noise like it`s scratching the surface. I have yet to find a soft large enough MF cloth.

Wiping off just demin water is alot more effort than the added IPA.

Cleaning the windows with just demin water in the cold always leaves fine water streaks for a while that the towl just can`t absorb.

I have been told that IPA could damage the tint, but so far after dozens of cleans at water down ratio no problems have occurred.

In all honestly I have found using soft tissues are better than my MF towl. I just use my electric leaf blower after to get the fine fibres out of the vehicle.

But I`m looking for a more efficient way to clean. I don`t like MF cloths as they are usually too small & require many just to do all the windows.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Cleaning Tinted Windows to a streak free result

Try my method.

I spray a liberal amount of stoners glass cleaner on a clean microfiber towel (About 350 GSM). I use that to get the majority of the gunk off the window. This will leave a lot of streaks. THEN I take a Scotts glass towel (that comes in rolls) and hold it from the stoners bottle about a foot away then pull the trigger once. This will barely dampen the towel. Then I fold that towel into a small sqaure and go over the entire window with it. This will pick up everything left over from the microfiber towel and leave it damn near perfect. This method sounds weird but TRUST ME it works like a charm once you get the hang of it.

You will almost never clean a piece of glass in one pass. Its always at least a 2 step process, there`s really no way around this.

Post Thanks / Like

Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Manix- I`m confused...what, you use a leaf blower inside the vehicle to blow MF lint off the glass and it blows it out of the vehicle?

FWIW, I use a good Glass Cleaner that`s (aftermarket) tint-safe (currently using 3D 50:1 mixed with distilled water) and GG Polypropylene Window Wipes. Lots of tint-safe Glass Cleaners on the market these days, and the IPA + Distilled Water mix didn`t work worth [anything] for me despite [certain individuals] saying how great it is. I suspect it`s because that mix lacks the kind of surfactants in good Glass Cleaners. [INSERT expression of ongoing amazement that people use IPA for so many different things for which I find it ineffective]

While I like the GG Wipes, a number of my MFs for Glass work fine too; some that do give indication of being too aggressive for the tint (the stuff in the Crown Vic is compromised/fragile) are used on the exterior glass or demoted to household duty. I`d much rather use a number of smaller ones as opposed to a big one, but that`s just me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDetailer718 View Post
    Try my method.

I spray a liberal amount of stoners glass cleaner on a clean microfiber towel (About 350 GSM). I use that to get the majority of the gunk off the window. This will leave a lot of streaks. THEN I take a Scotts glass towel (that comes in rolls) and hold it from the stoners bottle about a foot away then pull the trigger once. This will barely dampen the towel. Then I fold that towel into a small sqaure and go over the entire window with it. This will pick up everything left over from the microfiber towel and leave it damn near perfect. This method sounds weird but TRUST ME it works like a charm once you get the hang of it.

You will almost never clean a piece of glass in one pass. Its always at least a 2 step process, there`s really no way around this.

Thanks. I will try this method.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Manix- I`m confused...what, you use a leaf blower inside the vehicle to blow MF lint off the glass and it blows it out of the vehicle?

FWIW, I use a good Glass Cleaner that`s (aftermarket) tint-safe (currently using 3D 50:1 mixed with distilled water) and GG Polypropylene Window Wipes. Lots of tint-safe Glass Cleaners on the market these days, and the IPA + Distilled Water mix didn`t work worth [anything] for me despite [certain individuals] saying how great it is. I suspect it`s because that mix lacks the kind of surfactants in good Glass Cleaners. [INSERT expression of ongoing amazement that people use IPA for so many different things for which I find it ineffective]

While I like the GG Wipes, a number of my MFs for Glass work fine too; some that do give indication of being too aggressive for the tint (the stuff in the Crown Vic is compromised/fragile) are used on the exterior glass or demoted to household duty. I`d much rather use a number of smaller ones as opposed to a big one, but that`s just me.
    Normally after using tissues in the car there are tiny fibres everywhere, I just open all doors & blow everywhere & direct all the air out side, the result is no dust anywhere. In fact I do this frequently to get the dust out after each vacuum. Its said the 303 aerospace protector repels dust, well It doesn`t do anything in my car after a while. There is dust & it`s always gonna sit on the interior.

thanks for your advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manix View Post
    Normally after using tissues in the car there are tiny fibres everywhere...
    If dust is such an ongoing issue for you I`m glad you found a workable solution.

Regarding the fibers, I`d rather just use something that doesn`t leave any behind, but maybe that`s just me. I *can* say that those GG Polypro Window Wipes are lint-free IME, which is more than I can say for most MFs made for glass.

Thread Information