Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum No Rinse on interior surfaces

I live in an apartment, so I`ve been doing a 2-bucket ONR wash and drying the entire vehicle with the fluffy side of a Gold Plush Jr. towel. Then once the whole car is dry, I take the drying towel (still a bit damp from the drying step) to wipe down the driver`s door panel, steering wheel, driver`s seat, and center console. It still feels factory-fresh after this step, but it worries me a bit that it may have *something* in it that could possible damage delicate leather surfaces or possibly dry out plastic?

The leather in my TL-S is prone to tearing (I`ve replaced both front seat bottoms) and wearing down (I`ve replaced the leather steering wheel), and my plastic soft-touch dash is highly prone to cracking.
    BMW M240i | Mineral White | Coral Red

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum No Rinse on interior surfaces

I`ve heard and read quite a few people using it on interiors with no issues.

Could it be that those items are just getting normal wear and tear.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BluBrett liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

BluBrett- I used to knee-jerk about this, thinking it`d be a bad idea. But I`ve been using up my ONR on household stuff and so far it`s been perfectly fine on everything, including some leather cushions. I know that`s hardly a great recommendation, but I wouldn`t be too worried if it were me.

But then, of course.. [INSERT some Autopian comment about how one really oughta use some special Interior Product for interiors, just because this is Autopia ]
    Likes BluBrett, trashmanssd, WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

After I finish a wash (full or rinseless) I mix up a fresh small bucket of ONR solution. Use a fresh towel to wipe down the interior including the leather seats and have had no ill effects. Also, use it with a well rung out MF to clean areas of the headliner--does a great job and doesn`t leave behind water stains.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Likes dcjredline, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using the McKees 37 rinseless to do my interior wipe downs. I don`t want it to leave anything (glossing agents etc)
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ivan Lacroix, an Optimum dealer who runs a shop, uses ONR at normal rinseless dilution for all his interior cleaning, moving to OPC for stubborn stuff. You can see his videos on The Rag Company site.

Bill
    Likes RaydiantDetail, newtows4thlaw, JRoDDz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I`ve been using the McKees 37 rinseless to do my interior wipe downs. I don`t want it to leave anything (glossing agents etc)
    I believe this is great advice because keeping an interior free of oily grime from certain interior "Protectants" will save you many headaches down the road in terms of keeping the glass clean. Think of a glass towel`s edges that flow out of your hand, constantly rubing an oiled surface as your trying to clean the glass.
    Personally, I would feel okay about using ONR. If you`re still hesitant, maybe a coating, such as Wolfgang Interior Trim Sealant would help protect those delicate surfaces.
    Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used ONR on my interior with no issues. It leaves nothing behind.
    You could follow up with a leather conditioner for your delicate leather surfaces.
    In this video they even use Opti Seal on interior surfaces after cleaning with ONR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1g79DQsCwM

If you look at the comments Ivan mentions using ONR on the interior is perfectly safe and for dirtier interiors using OPC then following up with Opti Seal.

If you are truly worried you could pick up McKees 37 QID which cleans and leaves protection and its pretty much safe for all interior pieces even nav screens.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EXPDetailing View Post
    I believe this is great advice because keeping an interior free of oily grime from certain interior "Protectants" will save you many headaches down the road in terms of keeping the glass clean. Think of a glass towel`s edges that flow out of your hand, constantly rubing an oiled surface as your trying to clean the glass.
    Personally, I would feel okay about using ONR. If you`re still hesitant, maybe a coating, such as Wolfgang Interior Trim Sealant would help protect those delicate surfaces.
    I like the fact of adding nothing but what I chose to add if anything.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, ONR does leave *something* behind, at least if you`re using it at the strength I am. Nothing "bad", but....something. ONRed stuff has a definite "there`s something on there now that wasn`t previously"-type sheen, at least after you`ve done it enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I use ONR on my interior door panels, dash, pretty much anything plastic. Not sure about leather, I use some Chemical Guys stuff for the leather seats but the ONR does as good/better than other interior products I`ve used.
    2022 VW Atlas - White (FK1000P)
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7L - Pretty Much Maroon
    (FK1000P)
    Likes newtows4thlaw liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

And the cost! What a bargain for an interior QD, clay lube, waterless wash, rinseless wash, water softener for 2-bucket soap, etc.

but when I truly want to leave nothing behind, I use a 50/50 mix of distilled water and PB Spray & Wipe. ONR has polymers for shine.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh, VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Does this help with streaks?

I love S&W, but for the life of me cannot eliminate slight streaking on paint. Looks like a faint haze or pseudo-holograms if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    And the cost! What a bargain for an interior QD, clay lube, waterless wash, rinseless wash, water softener for 2-bucket soap, etc.

but when I truly want to leave nothing behind, I use a 50/50 mix of distilled water and PB Spray & Wipe. ONR has polymers for shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    Does this help with streaks?

I love S&W, but for the life of me cannot eliminate slight streaking on paint. Looks like a faint haze or pseudo-holograms if that makes sense.
    Counter intuitive

If it`s streaking it probably means you`re using too much and wipe media is getting too wet.
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post
    Thanks nickclark08 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I have some more questions floating around my head that I`ll throw in another thread so as to not hijack this one.

For the OP, I use Ultima WWP at waterless wash mix sprayed on a DMT microfiber to do interior wipe downs. Leaves a little bit of sheen but not too shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Counter intuitive

If it`s streaking it probably means you`re using too much and wipe media is getting too wet.
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information