Post Thanks / Like

rejuvenating beat up leather

the leather in my 01 trans am is beat to hell. its cheap to begin with and the top part of the rear bench is as hard as plastic (if I tap it with my finger nails it sounds like I`m tapping the dash board). its visibally dry. the rest of the car isn`t too bad, no rips or anything, I just really want to get the leather soft again. the actual seats I don`t know if they are gonna get any softer than they already are just because its not of the highest of quality so I understand that. I used poorboys leather stuff, deepened the color slightly and made it feel SLIGHTLY better (the seats not the top part of the bench described earlier). I hear rave reviews about leatherique, does that sound like a situation where leatherique would help out, or does it sound too far gone?

edit : fwiw I cleaned with steam, then went over with poorboys, then conditioned with poorboys. seats were already pretty clean, so the amount of cleaning I did I think was overkill, but that`s what happens on sundays sometimes lol

Post Thanks / Like

Re: rejuvenating beat up leather

On next order from acc get Wolfgang leather sample and try that. I`ve been happy with Wolfgang but it seem like you`ll need more than just one application

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes mnehls86 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

never used it, but always hear good things about Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil, Best Leather Care products. i`m usually good with Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Spray
    Likes JSFM35X, The Driver, DAC17 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is the best for brining back hard, dried out leather. Wait for a hot humid day and it works far better. The heat open the pores so the product can really penetrate. There is a great how to video posted on this on Fchat.

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    never used it, but always hear good things about Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil, Best Leather Care products. i`m usually good with Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Spray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    On next order from acc get Wolfgang leather sample and try that. I`ve been happy with Wolfgang but it seem like you`ll need more than just one application
    I like Wolfgang too. I put it on at the beginning of a detail after cleaning up the seats and take it off at the very end. Multiple applications would probably be even better. I have never used it on really hard seats though either.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 01 WS6 Trans Am w 15,000 miles. The seats are probably as good as they were when the car is new.

You`re right... The quality of the leather is horrible.

Ive used 303s leather cleaner/conditioner since I`ve owned the car but it sounds like your seats need a more heavy duty treatment.

I do have some stuff i used on old beat up leather seats in the past that worked really well. I`ll check on the name tonight.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Post Thanks / Like

If I wanted to get really involved with it (AKA do it properly, which I`ve never actually had to do even though it sure looked that way a few times), I`d probably use stuff from The Leather Doctor instead of the Leatherique, but that`s just me.

Post Thanks / Like

Leatherique! A customer of mine had same issue with his GTO. Leatherique softened the leather up nicely.
    IDA-CD
    Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

This is the stuff I used on some old beat up leather seats in a car I used to own. Worked really well.

I haven`t used it on the leather in the TA.

While I haven`t used leatherique, I`ve read enough about it that if I were to buy one (new) product for leather, that would be it.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like I`m going to have to definitely pick up some leatherique for use when it gets warmer out, at least it gives me time to hopefully catch it on sale. with how the weather is here in CT right now theres no telling when the trans am will be coming out from hiding.

thanks for confirming my thoughts everyone, when the day finally comes ill try to do a review on it with pics to show how it worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like

All I use is leatherique Rej oil, 48 hour bake period and your good to go!
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you in CT? Im in Berlin.

Post Thanks / Like

I sent my Leatherique to a fellow Autopian so it`d get used before it went bad...wonder how it worked, can`t recall ever hearing back.

Post Thanks / Like

Leatherique Rejuvenating Oil works really well, but from your description, it will take more than 1 application to get the leather back to the point where it is leather like again. It is recommended that you let it sit on the leather, in the sun for 5 hours, or if not possible, for 24 hours in a room temperature location. It does look like oil, and does smell, but not too bad. The recommendation is to remove it with Leatherique Pristine Clean.

For a super intensive softener, try Surflex Leather "Soffener". It is probably the most effective leather rejuvenation product on the planet. I used to get it from another detailing supply site. Same idea as Leatherique Rejuvenating oil, but this just goes on for 24 hours or more. You remove it with a wet cloth. This smells like dead cows, and the smell is much more noticeable than the Leatherique Rejuvenating oil. You won`t need more than 1 application.

In both cases, it is recommended that you apply the product, then cover the seats with Saran wrap (or similar type of wrap) or a garbage bag (you are creating a moisture barrier). This is to keep the product from drying before it has a chance to do its work. For either product, just follow the instructions on the bottle/can.

Thread Information