Post Thanks / Like

Scratch removal...

Took some friends out for dinner last night in my vehicle. This morning I noticed that I now have a scratch in the plastic by my rear seat. I assume someone had something in their pocket or on their jacket that did this. Is there anyway to remove this scratch or at least minimize the appearance? Any help will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Reecard
    `16 Audi SQ5
    Daytona Grey Pearl

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratch removal...

Reecard- Sorry to say that I`ve never been able to fix damage like that, have it on all my vehicles even the S8

Leathers can be touched up (not that I`ve ever done it, I just live with it and call it "patina"), and I`ve seen it work incredibly well. But I never had good luck with recoloring scratches on vinyl and I gave up on it ages ago as my fixes looked just just as bad to me as the damage and actually bothered me more ("naturally occuring minor damage" bothers me less than "obvious repair"). Plus, the touchups were always kinda fragile.

If you want to try the "recoloring vinyl" approach, the Standard Answer used to be a product line called SEM and/but I bet there are even better systems these days (a search on "SEM" oughta bring up their competition too). Maybe my poor results were from the surface being worn/aged or just cases of bad color-matching, (or just user-error) and perhaps you`ll do much better

Maybe somebody here has The Truly Proper Solution, or can recommend products that work great.
    Likes grungy, Reecard, Tc99m, Ronkh, r111 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have read of people improving the appearance or removing interior scratches/scuffs using a technique involving a heat gun. I haven`t taken the time to research and test it myself , but I have taken plastic repair classes for bumpers and it sounds like it would make sense, but would be a very delicate procedure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    I have read of people improving the appearance or removing interior scratches/scuffs using a technique involving a heat gun. I haven`t taken the time to research and test it myself , but I have taken plastic repair classes for bumpers and it sounds like it would make sense, but would be a very delicate procedure.
    I was going to mention this and I have used it with what I consider to be success. I didn`t simply because one needs to be completely committed when doing this. I`ve done it on a pair of door panels and was very pleased with the results. It will not completely remove deep scratches but will fix the color issue. One of the YouTube videos shows fixing cracks as well. This is not me but here`s a link there are several more good tutorials on the Tube.

A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes r111 liked this post
    Thanks rlmccarty2000, tropicsteve, Reecard thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yup! there a different intensities in which to approach this . I found this one as well : How To Fix Scratched Car Interior Plastic | RemoveandReplace.com

Post Thanks / Like

Great tips. I tried to contact Scratch Wizard to get some interior plastic touch up spray paint for my BMW (Dakota Beige) but it looks like they are out of business. Dakota Beige can`t be found on Amazon or eBay. If I`m not derailing the OPs question, does anyone know a paint manufacturer that might help?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Great tips. I tried to contact Scratch Wizard to get some interior plastic touch up spray paint for my BMW (Dakota Beige) but it looks like they are out of business. Dakota Beige can`t be found on Amazon or eBay. If I`m not derailing the OPs question, does anyone know a paint manufacturer that might help?

Try this one , found it through one of the repair tutorial sites: Plastic Adhesion Promoter - Plastic Paint - Vinyl Dyes - Car Interior Spray Paint - Eastwood
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, not sure what I will do just wish it wouldn`t have happened. Oh well, character right?!
    Reecard
    `16 Audi SQ5
    Daytona Grey Pearl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reecard View Post
    Thanks everyone, not sure what I will do just wish it wouldn`t have happened. [B]Oh well, character right?!
    That`s the way I`d look at it

The "heat approach" scares me...I might try it on the Tahoe but I don`t think I`d want to do that to the Audis.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m thinking of trying the heat gun on my "beater" 2001 Mazda b3000 truck. I`ve tried to cover up the interior plastic with different interior dressings and they just don`t look right. I`ve cleaned it with 1Z Plastic Deep Cleaner, which the strongest "safe" Plastic Cleaner I have on hand and the plastic still looks tired. I`ve got my trusty Porter-Cable heat gun so I might give it a shot this Spring. It looks too easy, and that scares me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I`m thinking of trying the heat gun on my "beater" 2001 Mazda b3000 truck..
    I`ll be interested to hear how it works out. The interior plastics (and carpet) of my `01 MPV were kinda fragile, did a bit of damage with the steamer that I sure didn`t expect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`ll be interested to hear how it works out. The interior plastics (and carpet) of my `01 MPV were kinda fragile, did a bit of damage with the steamer that I sure didn`t expect.
    +1 on this, let us know if you try it.
    Reecard
    `16 Audi SQ5
    Daytona Grey Pearl

Thread Information