Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Carpet upholstery cleaning methods ?

I just read the sticky from an old detailer that doesn`t log on anymore. He uses a shop vac and some oxy clean mixed in a two gallon bucket and the results are great.

Curious to learn what you guys use and what your methods for carpet cleaning are ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carpet upholstery cleaning methods ?

I have just started to use poor boys carpet cleaner with great results

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a big fan of extractors for both the vehicles and household use. Can`t imagine how anybody gets by without one (or, in our case, several). Cheapies like the Bissell Little Green Machine seldom last all that long IME, but IMO they`re a lot better than not having one at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard those Bissells that heat up are pretty stout?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    I heard those Bissells that heat up are pretty stout?
    I`ve never tried one of the heated LSMs... but I know people who`ve had them and they work well, but sigh...seems like the heaters or something always end up dying eventually, just the nature of "affordable heated extractors" IMO. My LGM wasn`t heated, but its motor or something died (can`t remember just what the issue was, been ages now..) a bit sooner than I`d expected and for some now-forgotten reason I didn`t even look into fixing it.

But I`ve had *great* luck with some of my other Bissells, have one that dates to the `80s (not a typo ) and another that`s nearly that old; both still work fine.

If the cost is a concern, I`d look for a refurbished LGM at [discount retailers]. IMO when it comes to those units one that`s been fixed will probably be *more* reliable than a "regular-new" one as it`s actually been gone over by a tech looking for issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought a Bissell Little Green Proheat from Target on Black Friday. For $49 I figured it was worth a shot between the dog and two little ones.
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use an encapsulating carpet cleaner. First one I bought was a product called Bone Dry. Worked really well actually. Spray on, scrub, let dry, vacuum thoroughly. Works really well on anything that wouldn`t otherwise REQUIRE an extractor.

Post Thanks / Like

Rigid shop vac automotive kit (6 hp peak with narrow attachment)
    APC/super degreaser + assortment of brushes and few towels...
    Optional based on situation: Assortment of tape, pumice stone, and pet hair brush

Not Optional: Vac area (divided by 4, drivers front and back, passenger front and back)

Light soiling: APC + brush of choice (based on dirtiness?) agitation for some foamy action, let dwell for 3-5 min, if it dries mist on APC one more time, then scrub with rag 1, when approx 90% dry, switch to rag 2 and continue mopping until relatively dry to touch, repeat as necessary.

Heavy soiling: Wet a few towels with some water and wring out excess water, mist some APC on to one side (optional), spray APC on carpet or whatever you are working on, cover with towel. Wait 5-10 minutes (the wet towel prevents it from drying out, so the dwell time can be extended), spray fresh APC, scrub with brush choice, scrub with rag 1, dry with clean rag 2...

Use super degreaser if APC cannot get stains out with same process but small area.

It`s a lot of work but I don`t have any tools for the job otherwise, I sort of kind of think my procedure is pretty standard though, but it has not failed me yet.

Post Thanks / Like

What degreaser do you speak of? I`ve got Zep 505 and Zep purple cleaner soon to be added.

Post Thanks / Like

What degreaser do you speak of? I`ve got Zep 505 and Zep purple cleaner soon to be added.

Meguiar`s super degreaser I like this stuff for a lot of cleaning (4:1) ratio, test small spot prior to use on some fabrics..
    APC is just whatever I have, right now I am on 303 multi surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Well considering that I need a carpet extractor for the house, I may as well get a big one and call it a day

Post Thanks / Like

Well considering that I need a carpet extractor for the house, I may as well get a big one and call it a day
    Just make sure it`s portable/versatile enough to really serve both purposes. For this, I`d want a *canister* version as opposed to an upright because the "Tools"/hose setup on the latter *never* work worth a [flip] IME, at least not compared to the canister types. Which is too bad as the uprights can be great for whole-room extracting, especially when there`s pethair involved.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I have to see what options there are in the hundreds of dollars. Not thousands.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a extractor with a ~upholstery nozzle~. It`s really slick. Has like 15-20 pinholes along the head that circulates the solutions/water as it extracts. You can dial in how much water or not passes through. Very Very minimal moisture left - unlike the typical extractor heat that ~injects~ as you extracts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I use a extractor with a ~upholstery nozzle~. It`s really slick. Has like 15-20 pinholes along the head that circulates the solutions/water as it extracts. You can dial in how much water or not passes through. Very Very minimal moisture left - unlike the typical extractor heat that ~injects~ as you extracts
    Details on product?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information