Post Thanks / Like

Question Plastic trim issues: 1. scrubbing brush working where detailing/paint brush isn`t; 2. Reasons for using a brush over a cloth to clean

Hi guys,

I`ve two questions which have been haunting me for years and for which I cannot seem to get an answer:

1. Why does everyone seem to find success in cleaning patterned plastic (e.g., door trims) via a single pass or two in a circular motion with a detailing brush (or paint brush, which I note have very similar textures) and APC, whereas I cannot seem to get the same plastics clean without a scrubbing (nail) brush (albeit used very lightly)? See the small sections of brownish crevices in the below photos (`browning` is more apparent in real life, and was especially so before cleaning the rest of the sections with a scrubbing brush):

• Ie, the `brown` colour found in many of the crevices in the pattern on the plastic does not come out otherwise.
    • My brother thinks the `brown` colour of the doors is either UV damage or the dye in the plastic discolouring, as opposed to brown `dirt`
    • Subject car is a 24 year-old SUV.

2. Why do people use brushes as opposed to merely wiping the plastic with a MF towel? Is this because most car plastics are impressed with a pattern with inherent grooves/crevices (as above) which towels may not contact with?

L.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plastic trim issues: 1. scrubbing brush working where detailing/paint brush isn`t; 2. Reasons for using a brush over a cloth to clean

Brushes are more agressive. If a microfiber cloth does not remove the stain you have to either step up the abrasive or the tool you are using with the abrasive. Plastic also is a porous material and a brush aids in getting into the pores.

Thread Information