Thread: Cleaning wipes?

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning wipes?

How do you generally clean a dirty interior? I mean an interior of a 10 year old car, that is just nasty. And you can see where the grey door panels, are starting to have that brown tinge to them. I`d like to know how the pros get that stuff off and get it looking as good as it can. I recently tried some cleaning wipes, that my wife bought to clean out my father inlaw`s abysmal 08 F-350. She came out of the store with them and said she wanted to clean out his truck for letting us borrow it.

Well they worked quite well. Seemed like they were some off brand, don`t think it was armorall. This was a couple months ago. Anyway they seemed to do the job.

Is this what you guys use? For cutting that brown haze that has become part of the door panel or dash now.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning wipes?

I only use an APC and white cotton towels to clean everything that is plastic and for more delicate plastics, only very soft, debris free microfiber and better cleaners that are more gentle like Einszett Cockpit Premium...

I use an APC (all purpose cleaner) because the one I use can clean about anything really well and not leave a residue or anything, and will look really nice when I go back over it with the next product to condition and leave a nice, matte, finish along with a nice clean scent behind = Einszett Cockpit Premium...

If the plastic is really dirty and won`t respond to APC, I use Einszett Deep Plastic Cleaner which really cleans well, doesn`t require a rinse and leaves the plastic conditioned and looking and smelling great...

I want to only have to touch all that plastic 1 time and if not, no more than 2 times... It`s a business, you have to move quickly and efficiently...

Never used wipes for anything automotive - they would almost always have to be more expensive to use than a gallon of Meguiars APC or my favorite - APC+ (which unfortunately, is no longer sold) that can be diluted with water to make way more than a gallon of product...
    Dan F
    Likes tropicsteve, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes indeed, white cotton towels for anything aggressive and MFs for more gentle work.

IMO "wipes" are a marketing gimmick for, oh....about 90% of the situations I can imagine. There is still that remaining 10%...

Stokdgs- Seems like *EVERYBODY* who`s ever tried it simply loves that 1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lotta dudes are using these now a days with great success.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Lotta dudes are using these now a days with great success...
    Actually, all kidding aside, things like those, and Fabric Fresheners, can come in very handy under some circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

Gross

Is the 1Z deep cleaner a common one in the U.S? It looks like most of them have labels printed in another language

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve noticed my van`s black vinyl is starting to look dry. I use wel-dilluted apc and Megs QID, nterchangeability, and don`t use dressings because I don`t like how dust seems to accumulate faster to where I apply the dressing. Does anybody know of a GENTLE cleaner that also conditions, aside from 1Z deep?

Post Thanks / Like

Wipes are OK for a quick wipe down, but not real cleaning and are a really expensive way to buy a product. A non-solvent leather cleaner from a reputable brand applied with clean soft terry towels is a safe bet. Let the cleaner do the work; hard scrubbing will risk damage to the leather finish. Be most careful on the door panels; that`s usually the lower grade thin leather used only for appearance and won`t take much scrubbing.

Leather used today is produced and coated very differently than a few decades ago when "traditional" leather was used (and cracked and fell apart after a couple years in the sun). Most of the conditioners and cleaners are hype that do little more than a mild non-detergent soap and wipe down with a damp clean soft cloth.

Thread Information