Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting rid of Lysol smell?

Glad to hear they took care of it! (For the most part)

ozone I dont think would make it worse, also not sure how effective it would be in terms of making it better either. Since its pine sol not Lysol I would think maybe it would help???? Not sure. Wouldnt hurt to try. It sounds like its in your vents which are almost impossible to really clean deep into, so that may be the biggest issue. Ozone can only do so much, and if you dont locate and remove the source of an odor, odds are it wouldnt be very effective.

Post Thanks / Like

I would most definitely get them to fix the issue. If its a chain, call higher. If its a dealer, call higher. If theyre independent, seek legal advice.

Both versions of Pine-Sol (Original and the new formulation) contain things that are pretty bad for you. Even the pine oil in the original formula can cause serious issues if there is prolonged exposure or youre exposed to too much.

Second thing, Pine-Sol is acidic. They have potentially created a future problem for you. Acidic cleaners dont tend to play nice with interior components or metals. The acidity (3-4) could cause corrosion on numerous components including, but not limited to, electrical wiring and contacts, heater core, sensors, and the list goes on.

Get them to fix it or pursue legal action.

My $0.02.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.
    Likes Stokdgs, ShaneB liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. My concern is I have brought the car to them many times at this point and every time I get it back they create some sort of other problem. They fixed the AC, but then cleaned with an irritating chemical. Then they cleaned again, this time with water, but apparently not well enough to get the residual pine-sol completely out of the vents and HVAC system. I certainly will contact the service manager again and see what they have to say, but I really dont think they know how to fix this problem that they created. This is part of the reason I posted here, to try to get an idea of what can be done to get rid of residual odors like this. Because I guarantee if I just give it back to them and tell them to "fix it" they will try really hard, but not fix it or make it worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, one of the things I dont understand is why, in this case the pine-sol odor isnt dissipating on its own. I rarely use cleaners like this because they are frankly not healthy, but when I have used it, the smell usually dissipates within a few hours. Certainly in a day or two.

The past two days I left the car on the driveway with all of the windows down, doors and sunroof open, and the hood open with the cabin air filter removed to air it out. It has been in the 60s here and moderately humid. Yet somehow, the smell persists.

I even removed the blower motor which in this car sits below the glovebox (very easy, took 5 mins) and I can see the AC evaporator. I then took a garden sprayer with plain water and sprayed down the evaporator. This caused some water to drain out of the AC condensate line as if the AC was running. Yet still, it smells.

Also, is there a way to change the title of this thread to reflect the pine-sol product, since its not lysol?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asus389 View Post
    Also, one of the things I dont understand is why, in this case the pine-sol odor isnt dissipating on its own. I rarely use cleaners like this because they are frankly not healthy, but when I have used it, the smell usually dissipates within a few hours. Certainly in a day or two.

The past two days I left the car on the driveway with all of the windows down, doors and sunroof open, and the hood open with the cabin air filter removed to air it out. It has been in the 60s here and moderately humid. Yet somehow, the smell persists.

I even removed the blower motor which in this car sits below the glovebox (very easy, took 5 mins) and I can see the AC evaporator. I then took a garden sprayer with plain water and sprayed down the evaporator. This caused some water to drain out of the AC condensate line as if the AC was running. Yet still, it smells.

Also, is there a way to change the title of this thread to reflect the pine-sol product, since its not lysol?
    If they used the original formula Pine-Sol it actually contains pine oil. Water is not going to rinse the pine oil out of your car. If you have a cabin air filter (or more than one as is sometimes the case) the Pine-Sol has been absorbed into that. There also tend to be foam seals for any HVAC door or duct joint. We smell because there are particles of whatever you smell in the air, that means there are now particles of Pine-Sol all throughout you HVAC system, possibly your cabin, and wherever else they may have used it. The only real options to completely eliminate the odor are pretty much a complete disassembly and cleaning,or replacement. There may be some other chemical to break down the oil or mask the smell, but the first probably wont be any better and the latter doesnt fix the problem.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Post Thanks / Like

Dont worry about changing the title from Lysol to Pine-Sol; anyone who is following this thread knows the trouble you are going through.

I would suggest registering a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in your area about this business. If the repair place you have had the work done at is a legitimate business, they should have business insurance. I would strongly suggest trying to work the problem out with the repair place first before proceeding to legal counsel. This may include having them pay for someone else to do the repair work to your satisfaction. If you do go the lawyer route, you may be quite surprised that all of your financial interests may not be covered. Remember legitimate businesses employ people and pay taxes, which is why local judicial courts tend to side with businesses: they are good for the local economy. That may not sit well with you (or me) but justice does have its price. I think everyone who is following this wants to see you get your car fixed properly to your satisfaction and that justice is served on the business that started this whole problem for you. We are also waiting to see how this all turns out and I implore you to keep us informed.
    GB detailer
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKC View Post
    If they used the original formula Pine-Sol it actually contains pine oil. Water is not going to rinse the pine oil out of your car. If you have a cabin air filter (or more than one as is sometimes the case) the Pine-Sol has been absorbed into that. There also tend to be foam seals for any HVAC door or duct joint. We smell because there are particles of whatever you smell in the air, that means there are now particles of Pine-Sol all throughout you HVAC system, possibly your cabin, and wherever else they may have used it. The only real options to completely eliminate the odor are pretty much a complete disassembly and cleaning,or replacement. There may be some other chemical to break down the oil or mask the smell, but the first probably wont be any better and the latter doesnt fix the problem.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Im not sure it matters in this situation, but I did some research and it looks like "Original Pine Sol" no longer contains pine oil. In fact, when they changed their formulation lots of people complained that the new "scent" wasnt the same. Its a bit confusing though because they list the ingredients for the product, but the fragrance chemicals are listed in one big list for all of their products, so its hard to know which is used for what product.

https://www.thecloroxcompany.com/pro...urfacecleaner/

Post Thanks / Like

You have a sensitivity/allergy to pine sol so any minute amount may bother you now.

Are other people smelling it?

I have the same problem with anti freeze. It makes me feel sick now where as it never use to.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not sure it matters in this situation, but I did some research and it looks like "Original Pine Sol" no longer contains pine oil. In fact, when they changed their formulation lots of people complained that the new "scent" wasnt the same. Its a bit confusing though because they list the ingredients for the product, but the fragrance chemicals are listed in one big list for all of their products, so its hard to know which is used for what product.

https://www.thecloroxcompany.com/pro...urfacecleaner/
    Now Im starting to feel old. I double checked the bottle under the sink (why I have it, IDK, I hate the stuff) and it still contained pine oil and I didnt think it was that old. We did just move in a couple of months ago. Apparently not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    You have a sensitivity/allergy to pine sol so any minute amount may bother you now.

Are other people smelling it?

I have the same problem with anti freeze. It makes me feel sick now where as it never use to.
    Yeah other people smell it. They all of course have varying sensitivities. But allergy/sensitivity or not, Im not sure its good to breathe for more than a few minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah other people smell it. They all of course have varying sensitivities. But allergy/sensitivity or not, Im not sure its good to breathe for more than a few minutes.
    I am sure its your bodys way of letting you know its bad for you. Thats how I view anything I cant stand the smell of!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    I am sure its your bodys way of letting you know its bad for you. Thats how I view anything I cant stand the smell of!
    Even asparagus?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKC View Post
    Even asparagus?
    NO! I like asparagus! I love onions and eat raw garlic everyday too! It has the side benefit of keeping bad men away!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information