Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Commercial steam vacuums

So I`ve been doing a lot of looking around now that I`m not detailing so much in my free time (winter really kills the mobile business). I`ve been looking into ways to improve my processes and continue to find ways to improve my level of service. I`ve come across some interesting tools, mainly steam vacuums. Now I know the age old way to clean upholstery and car carpeting is with an extractor, but I`ve learned steamers also have their place within the world of carpet/upholstery cleaning. Also being mobile and using customers power (for now) I`m limited to 15 amp circuits, so full size extractors are out.

Does anyone have any experience using steam vacuums? I`m looking mainly at the Daimer units specifically the kleenjet 500v. A litttle pricey at over $2000, but can combine 2 (in my opinion) must have tools. While also providing a level of steam extraction which potentially could be very very effective. It has roughly 86in of water lift, which i know isnt much from an extractor standpoint, but it wouldnt saturate the fabric like an extractor does so it may be sufficient. Im having some trouble finding 3rd party information about the 500v, so im wonderimg if anyone has some insight on the idea. From what i read, taking the plunge and buying this unit would be a major help to my efficiency as well as the level of work i can provide.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Commercial steam vacuums

Seems like a better option then the 3 in 1 Vapor steamers
    If it makes sense to buy one get one
    I can purchase 1 or even those Steam car wash units, but wouldn`t make sense for me since I don`t have a client tel her to make that money back

I noticed that had a 500vp model too and I`d go with that one over the 500v

Post Thanks / Like

they seem like amazing tools to have, if just feel more comfortable taking the dive having some first hand review of the thing and possibly a semi detailed video of its use. I was originally considering one of the vapor clean desiderios, but saw some poor comments about their customer service as well as build quality that has me second guessing the idea

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    they seem like amazing tools to have, if just feel more comfortable taking the dive having some first hand review of the thing and possibly a semi detailed video of its use. I was originally considering one of the vapor clean desiderios, but saw some poor comments about their customer service as well as build quality that has me second guessing the idea
    Yeah that`s why I swayed away from them
    And the only good 3 in 1 Vapor cleaner is by dupray and its 4 Gs..lol
    I`m sure if I get busy like i hope I`ll be looking into this at some point
    Till then Vapor Chief , DP Dry.wet vac and a bissel

Post Thanks / Like

I have a carman Dupray and while the steamer is the craziest thing ever, I don`t use the vacuum extractor part much as it does not have the power or lift ability of a dedicated mytee. Save your $ and get a dedicated steamer and extractor separately.

Post Thanks / Like

My Daimer steamer has been fine and their Customer Service is OK. If you go with a combined steamer/vacuum I`d sure check out the electrical requirements.

While I do like the idea of a combined unit, most of the time I only want/need one or the other.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing that has me interested in this is the 13amp power rating, which means on my mobile jobs using customer power, I wont have any issues. I would LOVE a heated extractor but they have their drawbacks, mainly power requirements and leaving the fabric wet, and when working mobile, the customer gets the car back as soon as im done, so its embarrassing to leave them with a wet car (not to mention the things that can show up when it dries). Being limited to a typical household 15amp circuit, my options are limited. I have a mytee tempo for when I need it but 75% of the time I find myself not using it. Im hoping that this unit could work as somewhat of a steam extractor, where the heat and moisture is there, without the excessive water soaking the fabric or into the foam.

Im coming to find that these types of units aren`t very common in the detailing world though. I would love to get my hands on one to see what it can do though.

Post Thanks / Like

ShaneB- Ah, only 13A huh? Interesting...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I`m curious how that works as most shop vacs I know use 11-12 amps, and this has the steamer as well. Not sure if maybe it`s a 2 cord setup that I`m not seeing or what but it sounds like a great combo IF it works as advertised.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing that has me interested in this is the 13amp power rating, which means on my mobile jobs using customer power, I wont have any issues.
    In my experience, typically the garage and adjacent outdoor outlets are on the same 15amp circuit.

If the Steamer is plugged in to heat up and you try to use a vacuum or other tool, it can trip the breaker.

Sometimes the outlet just inside the home from the garage is on a separate circuit, so that can be a workaround.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not going to ask my customers to plug in all over their house to find a separate circuit. Most homeowners don`t even know what`s where with electrical circuits anyway.

Tripped a a breaker one time when a guy who was working with me wouldn`t listen to me. Embarrassing! So I won`t risk it again

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are handy enough, and the owner is ok, and there is room for another single breaker in their power panel, you can bring your own breaker for that panel, a long enough 10 gauge or so cord with a nema plug at one end, and wire in your 20amp breaker into their panel, and they will never be impacted..

When I was painting houses for side jobs, for a few years, this is how I used my really nice Binks airless to paint their house..
    Dan F
    Likes ShaneB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not going to ask my customers to plug in all over their house to find a separate circuit. Most homeowners don`t even know what`s where with electrical circuits anyway.

Tripped a a breaker one time when a guy who was working with me wouldn`t listen to me. Embarrassing! So I won`t risk it again
    So what is the plan for operating a 13 amp steamer and anything else at the same time on a typical residential 15 amp circuit?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    So what is the plan for operating a 13 amp steamer and anything else at the same time on a typical residential 15 amp circuit?
    I can only use one tool at a time anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    If you are handy enough, and the owner is ok, and there is room for another single breaker in their power panel, you can bring your own breaker for that panel, a long enough 10 gauge or so cord with a nema plug at one end, and wire in your 20amp breaker into their panel, and they will never be impacted..

When I was painting houses for side jobs, for a few years, this is how I used my really nice Binks airless to paint their house..
    Dan F
    Im sure its something I could do but territory id rather not get into with clients. Im sure most of them think they are hiring a detailing professional, not an electrician, and id rather just avoid any confusion or discomfort from the clients end, whatever amount it may be.

I know I would be hesitant to have someone who isn`t a certified electrician that I don`t personally know and trust coming over and getting into my circuit panel

Post Thanks / Like

"I can only use one tool at a time anyway..."

My Steamer takes 15 minutes to heat up, and I plug it in right when I get the the Customers home, but the heating element kicks on frequently to maintain

On a typical interior I use the following tools as I work my way thru the vehicle:

- Shop Vac with Tornador Vac attachment

- Tornador

- PC with carpet brush

- LED lights

- Compressor

At any given time the heating element on the Steamer and or the compressor will kick on

What is your process for working around these type of limitations?

https://m.facebook.com/detailedbykyle?_rdr
    Likes ShaneB liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information