Post Thanks / Like

biological invasion

I`m sorry to say it looks like something is growing in my car... The photo is the left-rear door of my 2002 bmw 330i; this could be mold, mildew, or even moss growing on the door trim. In this photo it kind of looks like a liquid dripped down but there are other spots on this trim panel that are isolated and not close to the edges. The trim in this case is pretty nice plastic that`s been molded to look like leather. This is the pacific northwest and the car has been parked outside, so it really could be moss.

I tried various things to get it off; scrubbing with Griot`s interior cleaner and a stiff fingernail brush didn`t help much, although it did blacken my towel. Then I tried white vinegar with the same stiff brush, also to no avail.

I could really use ideas, suggestions, and advice! It would be a pain to replace the door panel...

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: biological invasion

Duragloss and a couple other companies that specialize in Marine product make a mold and mildew cleaner. You could try those. BE CAREFUL some of them are not made for plastics.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Interested to see what you find out here. The fact that you are getting color on your towel makes me wonder if the door panel is dyed.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes tropicsteve, Old Pirate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

definitely looks like something ran down the panel. if the vinyl dye is worn, it can be re-dyed. I know they do make dyes for vinyl tops,trim, etc. such as http://www.autopia-carcare.com/forever-black-convertible-top-dye.html#.Vj59-OFdFPY
    Likes GearHead_1, Ronkh liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

While you are cleaning, you might want to look for the cause of this stuff that appears to have come from the bottom of that trim piece which is in the door panel, and if not protected with the plastic liner or something behind it, water could be leaking into the inside of the door where it is not supposed to be..

I would if this was my car, see about taking that door panel off and looking behind that trim piece to see what is going on..

Another thing would be the drain hole for that door is clogged up and not allowing water that comes in and makes it to the bottom to drain out..

If you are anywhere near Issaquah, my good friends at EastSide Bavarian would be happy to help you out with this..
    EastSide Bavarian, 6000 221st PL SE, Issaquah, WA 98027, 425-391-1990 Ask for Ken Stoner or Ryan McCalla..
    They are down a couple of streets from the big Costco Headquarters, Warehouse, on the same side of the street..
    Good luck !
    Dan F
    Last edited by Stokdgs; 11-08-2015 at 12:31 AM. Reason: I see the picture better now for some reason..

Post Thanks / Like

Just from the picture it looks like the dye has come off rather than something growing on your vinyl. A dab of bleach would kill mold, test with a very small amount.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Thread Information