Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

HELP spilled wine

Need some help here. Full bottle of wine broke in the trunk and it all flowed forward up under the rear seat. Obviously will be forever stained but what can I do to get the smell out? Product suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP spilled wine

This thread:
    Ozone Generators for Automotive Use

Specifically this post:

Quote Originally Posted by heisenberg View Post
    I own that machine. Got it off Amazon.

It had all the requirements people were saying the ozone machines should have IIRC, and I`ve used it twice with good results. One in a car that had a bottle of wine spilled and it smelled fermented in there. I used it months ago and the owner says it has not come back. It already paid for itself.
    Likes heisenberg liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

ShaneB- I`d use a protein-stain remover for the odor and a "red stain remover" for the color. Forget who has a good RSM, but Top of the Line used to sell one..there are products made just for that sort of stain and I`d expect them to work better than a regular APC.
    Thanks ShaneB thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps Wine Away. I haven`t used it personally, but my dad has and he says it works as advertised.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow sorry this had to happen to you !

Just a caution from my experiences with seat foam - some seat foams will absorb a ton of water and will be very selfish with it and will not want to give it up easily through extraction...

I hope that this foam is not of that type...
    Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

No clue on how to fix the problem. Sorry.

But be prepared for a visit from your local PD asking where you buried the body, after you trade the car in.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes ShaneB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Luckily this is not my car. Customers car which I already have one failed attempt at fixing.

staining is no concern as it the bottom of the seat, completely unseen when installed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    . But be prepared for a visit from your local PD asking where you buried the body, after you trade the car in.
    And if the car smells like alcohol, expect a roadside sobriety test at every checkpoint or if you get pulled over for any traffic violation. Another reason to get rid of smell and stains.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think folex can make red stains disappear just by spraying it on the stain. Not sure if it works on foam though. I`d just get some detergent and scrub it with a soft brush and then just hose down the whole seat and leave it out in the sun to dry for a day or two. That`s just what I would do, I`m no expert.

Detail Impressions Detail Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would try one of the local Pro carpet cleaning supply stores, I find a very good knowledge base of customer service and their products work.
    Cost is a bit more but the results is very good.
    https://www.facebook.com/detail.impressions

Likes ShaneB, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Folex did almost nothing. Both folex and OPC were only able to turn the stain from red to more of a brown. When I was done and it had dried I couldn`t smell any wine anymore. I followed up with my customer today (couple days later) and she told me the smell returned the same night.

she will be bringing her car by again when I`m ready and I will remove the seat cushion and let her go with the car while I handle it the best I can. As long as she can go a couple days without a back seat obviously. I just know I`ll need it for a couple days just to let it air out and dry

Post Thanks / Like

I had a customer try everything short of the ozone machine in her car. Hopefully airing it out works, but just know there are options if it doesn`t. It`s been a few months since I ran the little $80 dollar machine and it completely removed the smell. I`d know because I see her at work every day.

Post Thanks / Like

I went ahead and ordered that machine just now. I always asked myself if I should get one but didn`t know I could pick one up that cheap. Can`t wait to let my customers know I can offer it as an additional service now.

would you recommend I remove the seat, use a protein stain remover on it to try my best to get it out, put the seat back in the car upside down (foam up) and run the ozone machine so it directly goes after the area rather than put the seat face down?

Post Thanks / Like

You will need an iron, HOT water, clear ammonia and several white terry towels. Mix the hot water and clear ammonia in a spray bottle. Spray it LIBERALLY on the stain and let it sit for a few seconds up to a minute. Fold the terry towels in quarters and place it on the stain. Then place the hot iron over the terry towel and repeat until the stain is lifted. Works like a charm on red whine carpet stains and red stained seats!!
    Likes Oldfordisbetter liked this post
    Thanks Oldfordisbetter thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll give that a shot. She is coming by tomorrow for me to remove the back seat so at least it`s out of the car until I get the ozone machine. So I`ll have it for a few days and can experiment with getting the stain out.

where can you buy clear ammonia?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information