Post Thanks / Like

Urine Soaked Leather Seat

I just got a call from a friend of mine about detailing a 2011 Honda Pilot. One of the major issues is the smell of urine in the interior of the vehicle. It seems that the previous owner was an elderly lady who had some incontinence issues and lost control of her bladder on a number of occasions. The seats are leather. I would appreciate any advice on how to clean the seat and remove the odor. I am guessing that the urine is probably all the way down in the foam. I have a steamer but I know that is only going to take care of whats on the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Urine Soaked Leather Seat

Try Meguiars protein stain remover, you may however have to replace the foam.
    Likes ShaneB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Try Meguiars protein stain remover, you may however have to replace the foam.
    I agree, if it is in fact down into the foam, replacement may be your only option.

Although I guess if you really want to try and get crazy, you may be able to remove the seat, remove the leather covering and take the foam and soak it in a tub with some cleaner (would bleach be safe?) then lay it out to dry for a LONG TIME with fans blowing on it. That may be more of a last ditch, don`t want to replace the cushion option

Post Thanks / Like

It also probably ran down the seat on the frame of the seat and on the carpet as well. If you can get a product called Nature` s Solution. I use it at work. Works really well

Post Thanks / Like

You need 2 products. First an enzyme to eat up the organic material. A good one is multi clean bio power or equal. It needs time to work like hours. Mix it with a little warm water. The more concentrated the better. The enzymes will eat up the urine and the by product is oxygen and water.

Then disinfect to kill any bacterial that cause odors with a quaternary disinfectant. Allow 10 minute contact time.

Anything else will only temporally mask the problem. Good luck
    Likes Stokdgs, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    You need 2 products. First an enzyme to eat up the organic material. A good one is multi clean bio power or equal. It needs time to work like hours. Mix it with a little warm water. The more concentrated the better. The enzymes will eat up the urine and the by product is oxygen and water.

Then disinfect to kill any bacterial that cause odors with a quaternary disinfectant. Allow 10 minute contact time.

Would I need to completely saturate the seat with this enzyme product ? Is there any chance of it damaging the leather on the seat?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Assuming it ran down the seat, if the seat has a cloth backing in the back of it, and of course onto the floor behind and under the seat, between the console and seat, its probably the best to remove that one for sure, turn it over, see what it looks like underneath and go from there..

I cant believe that human urine would be so hard to remove.. Just needs a good wash..

My VX5000 Steamer would be cleaning and getting it more sanitary than anything else that is not a chemical, and I would try that first...

If it has gotten into the foam, and it dried, and Im not so sure it would smell again - you need to see what you have here after you pull that seat out..

And be grateful it wasnt a nasty cat peeing all over the place in there, that would really be harder to do...
    Good Luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

You could try those urine smell eliminators sold at pet stores. I know she wasn`t a cat, but I feel it would work. I`ve used them before with great success
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Meguiars makes a similar enzyme product - Meguiars Odor Eliminator - that I have had some success with AFTER I really cleaned the area to REMOVE as much of if not all the Source of the smell/s..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Let me be the first to say... Ewww. I Don`t envy you.

Urine however I`d look at the enzyme products. You may find that the pet store stuff is a different enzyme than humans though, I`d do some more research. First thing that comes to mind may be to contact some assisted living places and ask, I`d be surprised if they didn`t deal with it more than most.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you need to get the product to where the urine is, as far as damage to leather, I cannot give you the assurance your looking for as leather is not designed to get soaked with any liquid.

I would tell the customer that he has to sign a waiver, to get rid of the smell you need to take these steps and there is a change of XYZ.

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post

Would I need to completely saturate the seat with this enzyme product ? Is there any chance of it damaging the leather on the seat?

Thread Information