Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

What is the SAFEST (most reversible) product to use for Leather and plastic interior trim?

What`s the SAFEST (most reversible) product to use for Leather seats and plastic interior trim? To rephrase, what products are the easiest to take back off if one wanted to? It`s odd I know, but I`ve seen too many seats with spots on them that`ll never come off from products that splashed on them years back. I don`t want to have my interior covered in products that will ruin the original integrity of the natural finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What`s the SAFEST (most reversible) product to use for Leather and plastic interior trim?

anything water based at a guess. something thats not a coating or loaded with petroleum solvents and oils to make it shiny
    but I`m not a leather master so not sure
    The buffing pad aficionado

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What`s the SAFEST (most reversible) product to use for Leather and plastic interior trim?

I think it would be hard to find a automotive leather care product that is not water based although many water based products contain oils such Leather Masters Protection Cream. Leather Masters is nice product.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is for an Interior Quick Detailer like Meguiar`s stuff or 1Z Cockpit Premium. No, they don`t really do much..but they`re safe as can be and won`t be a problem if you want to try something else afterwards.

And I agree with Bunky that the LeatherMasters stuff is a good option. I haven`t used my Leather Masters stuff for a while (I hardly ever do anything to my leather), but IIRC its light scent dissipates quickly. Heh heh, I`m sure I`d remember if it *didn`t* because I`m quite the fanatic with regard to keeping my interiors smelling "merelyclean". I want my vehicles to smell like they did when they were new, not like detailing products or a luggage shop. The above-mentioned stuff works fine for that (note I`m not restoring really [crappy] interiors that need drastic measures).

The Interior QDs are basically all I use on interior plastics. Period. Their light scents fade very quickly and aren`t nasty anyhow. Can`t remember the last time I used a "dressing"/slime-product on interior plastics, though some like the AutoGlym stuff are nice and "clean". I hear the new Mother`s product is great but I`ve never tried it.

FWIW, to do leather *right*, which I hardly ever find necessary, I use the stuff from Leather Doctor. Big PIA to order from Roger, and it`s a multi-step process even if you skip the "fat-liquoring" as I do, but his stuff *is* my #1 choice and I was astounded by how well I liked it. The Protection Creams are available in unscented too. That Leather Doctor stuff keeps the interior of my `01 S8 literally showroom in looks, feel, and scent. Can`t tell it`s ever been detailed; it doesn`t look "detailed" or "dressed" but rather like it just rolled off the assembly line.

But really, 99% of the time, I just use Interior QDs and leave it at that. Our older Audis (let alone the dog-hauler Tahoe!) get used daily, and awfully hard, yet their interiors just don`t need much real attention, I just keep them clean. I doubt I`ve done anything more than the IQD for at least a few years.
    Likes Stokdgs, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reviving the memories of the Leather Doctor..
    Yeah, Fat Liquoring, one of the favorites, right ?
    He has been around for what 10 years that I know of ? Perhaps much longer...

The closest thing to this process is the Leatherique brand with that slather oil all over your seats, let them sit a day in the sun, and then clean it off with Prestine Clean, if i recall..
    Very few if any Detailers have time to do this unless the Client is letting them keep the car for a week, etc., and is paying for the extra time involved..

I would just rather stick to Spinneybeck that has no discernable odor, and leaves the seats nice and smooth, not shiny or oily, greasy, etc...

Also Love Einszett 1Z Cockpit Premium - this German stuff rocks the entire dash and has never hurt, damaged, any navigation screens, etc...
    Love the nice matte finish, and the clean scent which is only great for a few hours...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- That whole fat-liqouring thing I`m never gonna do, any more than I`ll Leatherique (sold that to another Autopian after it just sat on my shelf). But the other Leather Doctor stuff is great.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For leather I like the Blackfire Leather Conditioner and Interior Cleaner. They really are outstanding products, very easy to use, no streaking/spots, and leaves a nice matte finish. The Blackfire Interior Protectant would work on every other interior surface and also leave a nice matte finish.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that messed up the interior for me was APC/Degreaser overspray that I missed on the plastic film on the interior side of the windshield (used M101 to fix the film). With that said my go to interior spray everything product is Meg`s D149. People always compliment me on my interior jobs and I know that`s the part drivers notice most.

Meguiar`s : D149 Detailer Quik Interior Detailer

Likes Stokdgs, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar`s D149 Quik Interior Detailer can be used on all surfaces. Definitely recommend it. I also like Meguiar`s D180 and D181. These are on;y available in gallon sizes.

My review on D180 and D181.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/detail...r-cleaner.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse@Autopia View Post
    For leather I like the Blackfire Leather Conditioner and Interior Cleaner. They really are outstanding products, very easy to use, no streaking/spots, and leaves a nice matte finish. The Blackfire Interior Protectant would work on every other interior surface and also leave a nice matte finish.
    I agree with this. Here`s my review on it.

Review - Blackfire Interior Products (Interior Cleaner, Interior Protectant, Leather Conditioner)
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Love Megs Quik Interior Detailer. I really want to try D180 and D181.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming! Additionally, what product would be safest to use for wiping everything clean first? Does Leather Doctor include a prepping stage in their multi-step process?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobpockros View Post
    Thanks for the replies and keep them coming! Additionally, what product would be safest to use for wiping everything clean first? Does Leather Doctor include a prepping stage in their multi-step process?
    Meguiar`s QID has light cleaning abilities. It`s what I use to clean plastics and do the normal wipe-downs on leather. Any tougher spots on the trim I use Meguiar`s APC (many APC`s that, from what I`ve seen here, are great). I also use APC for light carpet stains, marks on the headliner, rubber floor mats, and any interior plastics that have been severely neglected. Not like I do this for a living but it definitely cuts through the crud a lot better than QID.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have access to a steam cleaner

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Leather Protectant was designed for both today`s coated leather and vinyl. Leaves a nice matte finish and is easy to use since you can do both your leather and vinyl. The interior of my 07 Passat looks almost as good as the day I picked it up from the dealers with nothing more than this 2 or 3 times a year and keeping it clean in between applications.

Optimum Protectant Plus, Optimum Leather Protectant
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Being very familiar with early Jap sports cars interiors, I`d say it`s worth the time an effort to do leatherique rej oil an then prestine clean as a follow up. Then after wipe ALL plastics down with 1z cockpit and the shifter knob and steering wheel with 1z deep plastic cleaner. This is what I always use an you cannot go wrong. You will fave a flawless finished OEM look with no cheesy shine or over powering odor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information