Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Get chemical smell out of car? Help?

I am the new (to me) owner of a 2011 BMW 328i. The car is great, but it has been plagued by a chemical smell that comes out of the vents when the heat or AC is run. It is kind of subtle at first, but if I run the vents with the windows closed on a longer drive it eventually makes me dizzy, my throat starts to hurt, and sometimes I will get a headache. If I don`t run the vents (system totally off) and just roll down the windows, the smell dissipates fairly quickly and I don`t feel sick. I live in a state with cold winters and hot summers, so not using the heat/ac system isn`t really an option.

The car has been inspected several times and the mechanics can`t find a fluid leak that is responsible for the smell. It doesn`t smell like mold in the AC, which is a problem I have had on past cars. It has been suggested that someone might have tried to de-odorize the vents with a chemical prior to my owning the car, and somehow the smell is stuck in there.

Has anyone run across anything like this before? Is there a way to pinpoint where the chemical smell is likely coming from or what it is? How would you go about cleaning out the vents in a way that doesn`t add more chemicals to the system?

thanks for any suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Get chemical smell out of car? Help?

Was the cabin filter ever changed?
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the cabin filter has been changed. Thanks for the suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

is the a/c still working ok? a slight leak in the a/c evaporator core can sometimes put Freon into the cabin, at least it did with my 2000 ford pick up.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m guessing it`s a leak dripping on the hot engine or exhaust ... either oil or antifreeze... or even trans fluid.
    I had a faint smell coming into my car ended up being a bad intake leaking antifreeze.

If you sit in the car after it sat all night with the windows up.. turn on the vents and sit back.. listen to some music. Does it smell then? If it does.. it`s in the vents.
    If you don`t smell it....
    I would take it for a nice drive at night. Then get home Open the hood with the engine running and shine a flashlight around and see if you see some smoke coming from anywhere that it could be vaporizing the leaking fluid.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Any more descriptive on what the chemical smell is? Chemicals all smell different.

Believe it or not, I actually had a guy describe what ended up being an exhaust leak as "chemically."
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you might try to see if it is outside the vent system or inside...run the AC on "recirc" which it will not pull in outside air, but air from the cabin (maybe take a 20 minute drive while in recirc mode). If you smell it, then it is probably something in the vent system. If not, then it might be something under the hood coming in when the AC system is pulling air in from outside (recirc off).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKC View Post
    Any more descriptive on what the chemical smell is? Chemicals all smell different.

Believe it or not, I actually had a guy describe what ended up being an exhaust leak as "chemically."
    That happens to me when I have beans.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post

The recirc (or Max A/C depending on make) isn`t a bad idea. However, I`m more worried about it being an exhaust leak or burning oil. Some of the systems he listed are signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and that is not to be taken lightly.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

If the car was bombed to hide a smoker smell for example, that bomb cover up smell can make you sick..
    I had an M5 like that and the bomb smell (which the owner didnt know about) made the owner so sick he didnt drive the M5 for a year.. Yeah, I know, had to be really bad, eh ?
    It turned out the bomb was covering a ton of nicotine that was all over the Interior, and once I removed all of the nicotine from the entire car and ran some Einszett cleaner through the A/C system, the car was perfect again, and the Owner was very happy..
    Good luck with this - be careful..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RDKC View Post

The recirc (or Max A/C depending on make) isn`t a bad idea. However, I`m more worried about it being an exhaust leak or burning oil. Some of the systems he listed are signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and that is not to be taken lightly.

Problem is when the EPA gets involved for large methane release.....
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I brought it back (for the third time) and they decided to use one of the cleaning products on the AC based on the idea that it was growing something on the evaporator. It didn`t seem to fix the issue. Still smells like a sweet chemical after the car has been driven a few minutes and you turn on the AC or heat. Does it both on fresh air setting and recirculation. I specifically asked them to check for leaks and they say there are none. Is it possible for a coolant leak to be there but the car pass a pressure test? The AC does still work. Is it possible to flush/clean out the heater/ac box behind the dash with something inert like water, but without taking it all apart and also without damaging the electronics? If its not leaking fluid, the only thing I can think of is someone (previous owner) put some sort of de-odorizing chemical down the vents and now it like permanently smells that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any slight hazing on interior glass. That would indicate a heater core leak (antifreeze)

Post Thanks / Like

The fact that you described it as sweet would really have me looking towards an anti-freeze leak. If the leak were small enough it may hold pressure for a whille. Have them leave the tester under pressure overnight and see if it holds pressure.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 20115.0 View Post
    Is there any slight hazing on interior glass. That would indicate a heater core leak (antifreeze)
    Not that I can tell, and no wetness on the floor. The heater does heat up, but it doesn`t feel very strong unless you force it to very high temps. Not sure what to make of that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information